Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
curiouscat

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiouscat » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:17 am

crystalized wrote:Is there normally a phone call? An interview? (Excuse my ignorance, I know very little of this process compared to the people on this forum :oops: )

There's no interview, but people who get in get a phone call (or sometimes an email) letting them know.

poe

Postby poe » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:24 am

crystalized wrote:
soj wrote:
Bronck wrote:Haven't been following this thread and I'm too lazy to search:

DLS = rejection?

(my status checker still says UR, just checking)

DLS without phone call is rejection, yep. Or possibly WL, but I don't think anyone's gotten waitlisted yet. According to the graph on page 1, there's only one wave of waitlists, in April.

Is there normally a phone call? An interview? (Excuse my ignorance, I know very little of this process compared to the people on this forum :oops: )

If you're accepted, you will be notified by a phone call. There's no interview.

backwards54

Postby backwards54 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:32 am

Aspen wrote:
poe wrote:
backwards54 wrote:
poe wrote:Submitted October, complete early November. Still alive...

Are you under review or still complete?

Under review.

My status says, "Your file has been submitted for review." Is this the same thing as "under review?"

Yes it says that in my file as well! Sorry I just made it short by writting "under review" aha didn't meant to scare you!

backwards54

Postby backwards54 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:33 am

crystalized wrote:
soj wrote:

DLS = rejection?

DLS without phone call is rejection, yep. Or possibly WL, but I don't think anyone's gotten waitlisted yet. According to the graph on page 1, there's only one wave of waitlists, in April.

Is there normally a phone call? An interview? (Excuse my ignorance, I know very little of this process compared to the people on this forum :oops: )

From what I've read in the thread they usually seem to call you to tell you you're accepted, or email you directly if you're out of reach on your phone!

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:15 am

crystalized wrote:
soj wrote:

DLS = rejection?

The dean will call you if you're admitted. Stanford doesn't do phone interviews like Harvard, though, if that's what you're thinking.

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:25 am

Yes it says that in my file as well! Sorry I just made it short by writting "under review" aha didn't meant to scare you!

Ohhh no problem. Wasn't scared, just didn't know the procedure. Thanks.

thesmark

Postby thesmark » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:00 pm

DLS today, no surprise with my numbers. Went UR 11/17

Champion

Postby Champion » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:24 pm

10/26 submit still alive

darkgrayclouds

Postby darkgrayclouds » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Looks like the chronological trend is still holding up. Also, if you're a URM like me, I noticed from last year's Stanford thread that there was a big slew of strictly URM acceptances on March 7. I'm hoping for similar things this cycle. So far, this year's cycle is closely mirroring last year's.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:01 pm

darkgrayclouds wrote:Looks like the chronological trend is still holding up. Also, if you're a URM like me, I noticed from last year's Stanford thread that there was a big slew of strictly URM acceptances on March 7. I'm hoping for similar things this cycle. So far, this year's cycle is closely mirroring last year's.

Lets hope you are right.

poe

Postby poe » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:02 pm

darkgrayclouds wrote:Looks like the chronological trend is still holding up. Also, if you're a URM like me, I noticed from last year's Stanford thread that there was a big slew of strictly URM acceptances on March 7. I'm hoping for similar things this cycle. So far, this year's cycle is closely mirroring last year's.

I sincerely hope you're right.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:12 pm

I posted the same thing in the Columbia thread, but it's probably even more relevant here:

So someone who went complete in late September with sub-par numbers (3.8/168) but good softs (Marine Corps combat vet) and noteworthy PS/LORs who has yet to be rejected should feel.......?????

I cant follow these threads as closely as others, so Im not as up to date on the vibe as you guys may be. Thanks.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Kring345 wrote:I posted the same thing in the Columbia thread, but it's probably even more relevant here:

So someone who went complete in late September with sub-par numbers (3.8/168) but good softs (Marine Corps combat vet) and noteworthy PS/LORs who has yet to be rejected should feel.......?????

I cant follow these threads as closely as others, so Im not as up to date on the vibe as you guys may be. Thanks.

Due to the blackbox nature of Stanford admission I would probably feel better about it relative to Stanford than relative to Columbia.

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:16 pm

Kring345 wrote:I posted the same thing in the Columbia thread, but it's probably even more relevant here:

You should feel okay and know that you might have to wait until April to get a decision. Stanford's mostly been accepting (and I guess now rejecting?) people in order of completion date thus far, but they do go back and admit earlier submitters later in the cycle, so as long as you haven't been rejected, you're still in the running.

Champion

Postby Champion » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:17 pm

So would a 10/25 submit like myself be in the clear for now you think?

lsdream

Postby lsdream » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Champion wrote:

I'm a 11/1 submit that went complete 11/11 and have heard nothing since....

darkgrayclouds

Postby darkgrayclouds » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Champion wrote:

I believe so, yes. But that's just an educated guess on my part, based on evidence from this year and last year's cycle.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:34 pm

lsdream wrote:
Champion wrote:

Yeah Stanford like other schools holds on to most URM applicants and i think they make a decision in March. But a large chunk of those admitted in March are the URM "auto-admits' (i use this term roughly because stanford is a black hole sometimes). Looking at past cycles stanford doesn't usually accept urm 'auto-admits' early like most schools do....i know people say T-3 doesn't YP but i think they wait a little to see if those URM will withdraw and go to YH. but if you are a urm and u don't hear in march it doesn't mean you are dinged some hear back in april.

Champion

Postby Champion » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:43 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
lsdream wrote:
Champion wrote:

Yeah Stanford like other schools holds on to most URM applicants and i think they make a decision in March. But a large chunk of those admitted in March are the URM "auto-admits' (i use this term roughly because stanford is a black hole sometimes). Looking at past cycles stanford doesn't usually accept urm 'auto-admits' early like most schools do....i know people say T-3 doesn't YP but i think they wait a little to see if those URM will withdraw and go to YH. but if you are a urm and u don't hear in march it doesn't mean you are dinged some hear back in april.

Definitely don't have auto admit numbers even for a URM so it looks to be a long wait. I was rejected at Yale, held at Harvard, and in at Chicago. I have no idea what's going to happen.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 pm

yankees42789 wrote:You should feel okay and know that you might have to wait until April to get a decision. Stanford's mostly been accepting (and I guess now rejecting?) people in order of completion date thus far, but they do go back and admit earlier submitters later in the cycle, so as long as you haven't been rejected, you're still in the running.

FryBreadPower wrote:Due to the blackbox nature of Stanford admission I would probably feel better about it relative to Stanford than relative to Columbia.

Thank you both for the responses. Glad to hear that you all think that I should be guardedly optimistic. Thanks for letting me know about having to likely wait till April. Avoiding OCD is a plus.

Thanks again!

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Dinged by mail. Damn my puny GPA!

yepyepyep

Postby yepyepyep » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:17 pm

Once you get in, does the status on the app checker change also? What does it say? Just curious.

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:36 pm

yepyepyep wrote:Once you get in, does the status on the app checker change also? What does it say? Just curious.

It says 'A decision letter has been sent,' just like it does for WL/dings

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Champion wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:
lsdream wrote:
Champion wrote:

Definitely don't have auto admit numbers even for a URM so it looks to be a long wait. I was rejected at Yale, held at Harvard, and in at Chicago. I have no idea what's going to happen.

Hopefully it is not that Long..i'm hoping we get the call in March because i really do not want to ride the waitlist or end up rejected. I just need Harvard to pick up my app and call me so i can stop worrying about Stanford. Its a great school though but as the days pass I feel like my chances shrivel and die.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:06 pm

sharktankdean wrote:Yeah Stanford like other schools holds on to most URM applicants and i think they make a decision in March. But a large chunk of those admitted in March are the URM "auto-admits' (i use this term roughly because stanford is a black hole sometimes). Looking at past cycles stanford doesn't usually accept urm 'auto-admits' early like most schools do....i know people say T-3 doesn't YP but i think they wait a little to see if those URM will withdraw and go to YH. but if you are a urm and u don't hear in march it doesn't mean you are dinged some hear back in april.

I agree with the bolded. I don't really think there is a such thing as an auto-admit at Stanford. They reject so many people with crazy high numbers, and their small class size means that they can really be choosy about who they let in. It might be a bit different for URMs in that there are so few who have high GPAs and score highly on the LSAT (170+) that it isn't as easy for schools to reject the URMs with the strongest academic profiles. Still, looking at LSN, I count 4 URMs who have gotten into Stanford so far. There are 2 URMs who fulfill the high GPA, 170+ LSAT criteria I mentioned: bruno2012 and spek, both of whom have already gotten into HY. Sh@kenb@ke is close--especially because Stanford LOVES high GPAs-- but his LSAT is a little on the low side. 121212 has solid numbers, but I don't think being at both 25ths numbers-wise is going to necessarily lock down a Stanford acceptance.

I'm also not sure it makes sense that Stanford would hold URM applications until later in the cycle to see whether some highly-qualified applicants withdraw to attend Y or H. My sense is that Stanford's reputation is as strong as Harvard's and Yale's. If one were admitted to multiple top 3 schools, my guess is that they'd hang on to those acceptances at least until the ASWs/ aid packages were released. I don't think this usually happens until late-March/ early-April. What would be the point of withdrawing earlier than that? I don't get the sense that there is a statistically relevant number of people who would withdraw from S before the March acceptance wave. Ergo, it's difficult to use that theory to justify the assertion that Stanford postpones the URM acceptances as some kind of soft YP.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”