Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
admisionquestion
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby admisionquestion » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Here is some data mined from LSN. I pulled all the applicants from last year and then pulled all the data from those who went complete by the end of october.

This picture is all the data. It is a small sample size:

Image

Of the 35 total applicants who went complete last year before the end of october 8 were accepted.

Of those who received decisions after January 16th 1 or 2 were accepted (one did not report decision date).

SOMEONE please tell me why i should not be freaking out about this!?!

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby horrorbusiness » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:51 pm

admisionquestion wrote:Here is some data mined from LSN. I pulled all the applicants from last year and then pulled all the data from those who went complete by the end of october.

This picture is all the data. It is a small sample size:

Image

Of the 35 total applicants who went complete last year before the end of october 8 were accepted.

Of those who received decisions after January 16th 1 or 2 were accepted (one did not report decision date).

SOMEONE please tell me why i should not be freaking out about this!?!


because we didn't go back in time and aren't reliving last year, so things might be a little different?

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:04 pm

horrorbusiness wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:Here is some data mined from LSN. I pulled all the applicants from last year and then pulled all the data from those who went complete by the end of october.

This picture is all the data. It is a small sample size:

Image

Of the 35 total applicants who went complete last year before the end of october 8 were accepted.

Of those who received decisions after January 16th 1 or 2 were accepted (one did not report decision date).

SOMEONE please tell me why i should not be freaking out about this!?!


because we didn't go back in time and aren't reliving last year, so things might be a little different?


Because Stanford accepts something to the order of 9% of applicants anyway, and I would be willing to bet very many of the other 91% had numbers that would generate at least a consider on LSP.

If you really feel helpless and need to take some kind of action, time and again on this website and elsewhere you will read how Stanford wants applicants to keep in touch. Probably (definitely) something more substantial than just an e-mail saying you still really want to go there. Write an LOCI and send it to them in the name of keeping in touch. If you didn't already send in a Stanford specific LOR, get one and send it to them. If you know a SLS alum, even if its a weak connection, ask them for a LOR alongside an interview which would give them something material to write about.

SLS has a much lower yield than H and Y, so while they really don't need to yield protect, if your numbers really are that astronomical that it makes you feel like you need to freak out because SLS hasn't accepted you yet, the options I mentioned above shouldn't hurt your cause.

admisionquestion
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby admisionquestion » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks, thats good advice. Two follow ups. Should LOCI's be emailed or mailed to Stanford? What should I include in a LOCI?

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby luxxe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:25 pm

spek wrote:Are you guys receiving fee waivers or applications to apply for fee waivers? Either way it's encouraging but I'm fairly certain they only give need based waivers.


Mine is a fee waiver. I'm about to submit my app and LSAC says "app fee waived due to CRS fee waiver" like other schools have.

I didn't apply for a need based waiver and wouldn't have qualified anyway.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:41 pm

admisionquestion wrote:Thanks, thats good advice. Two follow ups. Should LOCI's be emailed or mailed to Stanford? What should I include in a LOCI?


Your LOCI should serve the purpose of, obviously, expressing continued interest as well as continuing to sell yourself as an applicant worthy of admission. Do a search on LOCI on this site, there are a number of examples as well as a hallmark thread giving advice on the topic. Most of the time people say to do it once wait listed, but like I said, Stanford is known for encouraging applicants to keep in touch.

The basic paragraph shell of an LOCI is-

I'm writing to express my continued interest in SLS
I hope to be a part of this (program/field of study/journal) because X
I will be able to benefit this (program/field of study/ journal) because X
I also wanted to update SLS on my (updated transcript/promotion/award)

The LOCI is less formal than a personal statement, and takes the form of correspondence rather than a personal statement. What you don't want to do is sound insincere or like you are writing it to check the block.

Some schools require it snail mail, but those are the rare exception (Harvard). If it were me, I would send it via e-mail or just call them and ask first. They may tell you they want it hard copy, but there is probably someone on this site who has done it before and can tell you their experience.

spek
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby spek » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:16 pm

luxxe wrote:
spek wrote:Are you guys receiving fee waivers or applications to apply for fee waivers? Either way it's encouraging but I'm fairly certain they only give need based waivers.


Mine is a fee waiver. I'm about to submit my app and LSAC says "app fee waived due to CRS fee waiver" like other schools have.

I didn't apply for a need based waiver and wouldn't have qualified anyway.


Oh wow that's so surprising. You should definitely make use of it!

wishyfishy
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby wishyfishy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:26 pm

My email info updated today. I hope that doesn't mean they're getting ready to email me a rejection. :(

countercouper
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby countercouper » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Any thoughts on whether spek's CRS fee waiver indicates a dip in applications this year? People have been mentioning a decrease in applicants in other threads but I'm not clear how significant or widespread this is.

Jerwinf1
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Jerwinf1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Long time lurking here. Just got in via e-mail!!!!!!!!!!

3.95, 173

User avatar
Genki
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Genki » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Jerwinf1 wrote:Long time lurking here. Just got in via e-mail!!!!!!!!!!

3.95, 173


Congrats!
Are you international?

j0sh0man
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby j0sh0man » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Got the acceptance call this afternoon around 10am (PST)!

Submitted: 11/20
Complete: 12/2
Decision: 1/17

Stats in profile.

Jerwinf1
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Jerwinf1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Not international but I am abroad...

User avatar
Elliott_Smith
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:34 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Elliott_Smith » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:09 pm

Congrats!!

You guys deserve it, those are some impressive numbers.

User avatar
Stig
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:00 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Stig » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:32 pm

I talked with Dean Deal today about LOCIs and Why Stanford essays.

LOCIs
Dean Deal speaks briefly about LOCIs here. She said their function is most useful during the summer if you are waitlisted. Again, if you have nothing new to say, it might be better not to say anything at all. There isn't the need to send an LOCI before you get a decision (acceptance or wait list)-they have your file, and are waiting to make a decision on it. Of course, if there is something substantial that has changed in your life (you were awarded a Marshall Scholarship), that might be a reason to send an LOCI.

Why Stanford Essays

This essay is only relevant for a tiny portion of applicants. If you have to ask yourself if you are among them, then you probably aren't. If you have to research the SLS website and look at the course listings, you probably shouldn't be writing one. Perhaps one situation would be that you are already a PhD candidate at Stanford, and for that reason Stanford Law is your first choice. Another may be that your significant other goes to school at SLS. Dean Deal does read these essays with an extra-skeptical eye, and they are counted amongst all your materials. Thus if this piece of your application is weak, it is weakens your entire application. As you can imagine, she is pretty good at seeing through BS about why SLS is your top choice.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 pm

Stig wrote:I talked with Dean Deal today about LOCIs and Why Stanford essays.

LOCIs
Dean Deal speaks briefly about LOCIs here. She said their function is most useful during the summer if you are waitlisted. Again, if you have nothing new to say, it might be better not to say anything at all. There isn't the need to send an LOCI before you get a decision (acceptance or wait list)-they have your file, and are waiting to make a decision on it. Of course, if there is something substantial that has changed in your life (you were awarded a Marshall Scholarship), that might be a reason to send an LOCI.

Why Stanford Essays

This essay is only relevant for a tiny portion of applicants. If you have to ask yourself if you are among them, then you probably aren't. If you have to research the SLS website and look at the course listings, you probably shouldn't be writing one. Perhaps one situation would be that you are already a PhD candidate at Stanford, and for that reason Stanford Law is your first choice. Another may be that your significant other goes to school at SLS. Dean Deal does read these essays with an extra-skeptical eye, and they are counted amongst all your materials. Thus if this piece of your application is weak, it is weakens your entire application. As you can imagine, she is pretty good at seeing through BS about why SLS is your top choice.


Great information! Thank you for posting this. Very useful.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:46 pm

Stig wrote:I talked with Dean Deal today about LOCIs and Why Stanford essays.

LOCIs
Dean Deal speaks briefly about LOCIs here. She said their function is most useful during the summer if you are waitlisted. Again, if you have nothing new to say, it might be better not to say anything at all. There isn't the need to send an LOCI before you get a decision (acceptance or wait list)-they have your file, and are waiting to make a decision on it. Of course, if there is something substantial that has changed in your life (you were awarded a Marshall Scholarship), that might be a reason to send an LOCI.

Why Stanford Essays

This essay is only relevant for a tiny portion of applicants. If you have to ask yourself if you are among them, then you probably aren't. If you have to research the SLS website and look at the course listings, you probably shouldn't be writing one. Perhaps one situation would be that you are already a PhD candidate at Stanford, and for that reason Stanford Law is your first choice. Another may be that your significant other goes to school at SLS. Dean Deal does read these essays with an extra-skeptical eye, and they are counted amongst all your materials. Thus if this piece of your application is weak, it is weakens your entire application. As you can imagine, she is pretty good at seeing through BS about why SLS is your top choice.


I wanna be on you.

gatorapplicant
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby gatorapplicant » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Sent a LOCI updating on an internship i completed last semester. Stanford is definitely a pipe dream for me, but I figure I might as well do everything I can. Congrats to all the admits!

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby backwards54 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:28 am

luxxe wrote:
spek wrote:Are you guys receiving fee waivers or applications to apply for fee waivers? Either way it's encouraging but I'm fairly certain they only give need based waivers.


Mine is a fee waiver. I'm about to submit my app and LSAC says "app fee waived due to CRS fee waiver" like other schools have.

I didn't apply for a need based waiver and wouldn't have qualified anyway.


Hey! The same thing happened to me. I just assumed that it was a merit-based fee waiver (because I hadn't apply for a need-based) but I remember thinking it was weird because I hadn't received an email from Stanford telling me they would waive the application fee.

Then a few days ago I received an email from the office of admissions telling me the waiver was a technical mistake and that I did had to pay the 100$. I do not mind paying and I understand that mistakes happened, but what pissed me off is that now they're telling me there's no way I can pay online with a credit card (as we do through LSAC) and that I really need to send them by mail either a money order or a check in US dollars. This is kind of complicated from me because my bank account is Canadian so I can only write canadian checks and moreover I am currently travelling in Australia am I am in an area where there are not much banks or post offices... anyways. did they wrote to you about that too?

ralph_pootawn
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ralph_pootawn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:59 am

backwards54 wrote:
luxxe wrote:
spek wrote:Are you guys receiving fee waivers or applications to apply for fee waivers? Either way it's encouraging but I'm fairly certain they only give need based waivers.


Mine is a fee waiver. I'm about to submit my app and LSAC says "app fee waived due to CRS fee waiver" like other schools have.

I didn't apply for a need based waiver and wouldn't have qualified anyway.


Hey! The same thing happened to me. I just assumed that it was a merit-based fee waiver (because I hadn't apply for a need-based) but I remember thinking it was weird because I hadn't received an email from Stanford telling me they would waive the application fee.

Then a few days ago I received an email from the office of admissions telling me the waiver was a technical mistake and that I did had to pay the 100$. I do not mind paying and I understand that mistakes happened, but what pissed me off is that now they're telling me there's no way I can pay online with a credit card (as we do through LSAC) and that I really need to send them by mail either a money order or a check in US dollars. This is kind of complicated from me because my bank account is Canadian so I can only write canadian checks and moreover I am currently travelling in Australia am I am in an area where there are not much banks or post offices... anyways. did they wrote to you about that too?



that is really frustrating. You would think they would just let the $100 go since they were the ones who made a mistake.

User avatar
zoohoo
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zoohoo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Possibly a dumb question, but are they done with all the people who completed in October? Should we just be expecting dings/WL's?

User avatar
curiouscat
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiouscat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:26 pm

zoohoo wrote:Possibly a dumb question, but are they done with all the people who completed in October? Should we just be expecting dings/WL's?

This post was not good for my stress levels. It's been discussed several times in this thread - SLS doesn't go strictly by date and continues to accept earlier applicants later in the cycle.

hellothisisme
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:50 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hellothisisme » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Stig wrote:I talked with Dean Deal today about LOCIs and Why Stanford essays.

LOCIs
Dean Deal speaks briefly about LOCIs here. She said their function is most useful during the summer if you are waitlisted. Again, if you have nothing new to say, it might be better not to say anything at all. There isn't the need to send an LOCI before you get a decision (acceptance or wait list)-they have your file, and are waiting to make a decision on it. Of course, if there is something substantial that has changed in your life (you were awarded a Marshall Scholarship), that might be a reason to send an LOCI.

Why Stanford Essays

This essay is only relevant for a tiny portion of applicants. If you have to ask yourself if you are among them, then you probably aren't. If you have to research the SLS website and look at the course listings, you probably shouldn't be writing one. Perhaps one situation would be that you are already a PhD candidate at Stanford, and for that reason Stanford Law is your first choice. Another may be that your significant other goes to school at SLS. Dean Deal does read these essays with an extra-skeptical eye, and they are counted amongst all your materials. Thus if this piece of your application is weak, it is weakens your entire application. As you can imagine, she is pretty good at seeing through BS about why SLS is your top choice.


Well, damn. I guess I shouldn't have written one. I know writing one for a top 3 school might seem unnecessary, but I figured since Stanford seems to like applications being targeted towards them, it might be a good thing to do. Oops.

Anyway, I submitted my app on 1/8. I got the e-mail from Stanford acknowledging receipt of my application, but I still haven't gotten the e-mail with the status checker info that says my app is complete. Should I be worried at all? I figure they're probably just really busy right now, but I want to be sure.

Stanford is a total Hail Mary, but I would love to go there.

backwards54
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby backwards54 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:42 pm

ralph_pootawn wrote:
backwards54 wrote:
luxxe wrote:
spek wrote:Are you guys receiving fee waivers or applications to apply for fee waivers? Either way it's encouraging but I'm fairly certain they only give need based waivers.


Mine is a fee waiver. I'm about to submit my app and LSAC says "app fee waived due to CRS fee waiver" like other schools have.

I didn't apply for a need based waiver and wouldn't have qualified anyway.


Hey! The same thing happened to me. I just assumed that it was a merit-based fee waiver (because I hadn't apply for a need-based) but I remember thinking it was weird because I hadn't received an email from Stanford telling me they would waive the application fee.

Then a few days ago I received an email from the office of admissions telling me the waiver was a technical mistake and that I did had to pay the 100$. I do not mind paying and I understand that mistakes happened, but what pissed me off is that now they're telling me there's no way I can pay online with a credit card (as we do through LSAC) and that I really need to send them by mail either a money order or a check in US dollars. This is kind of complicated from me because my bank account is Canadian so I can only write canadian checks and moreover I am currently travelling in Australia am I am in an area where there are not much banks or post offices... anyways. did they wrote to you about that too?



that is really frustrating. You would think they would just let the $100 go since they were the ones who made a mistake.


Yeah I know! It's just as if the cashier at the grocery store had forgotten to scan a couple of items off your purchases and then started calling you a few days after urging you to come back at the store and pay!

User avatar
zoohoo
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zoohoo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:42 pm

curiouscat wrote:
zoohoo wrote:Possibly a dumb question, but are they done with all the people who completed in October? Should we just be expecting dings/WL's?

This post was not good for my stress levels. It's been discussed several times in this thread - SLS doesn't go strictly by date and continues to accept earlier applicants later in the cycle.

sorry sorry! Didn't mean to spike your stress level :( But thanks for the response.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, Christinabruin, dianersg, ellielaw, Exabot [Bot], kadams, lawschoolbound2017, Mr. Bubbles, spursforever, sre08, whodareswins, xn3345 and 43 guests