Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:26 pm

YesNoMaybe wrote:Just to clarify SLS wont know that I deposited elsewhere right? There is no way for them to find out unless I end up double depositing at SLS and another school?

SLS won't know until May 15th.

Edit- This is because that's the date when LSAC shares the information of who deposited where with all of the schools.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm

ScratchableItch wrote:
erikjc wrote:Is it possible they're waiting until after the ASW for people to commit/withdraw, so they have a better idea of what the class is going to look like? They seem to really care about the actual composition of the class, not just the size, so I wonder if they take the time to look at who has accepted a place thus far before deciding on the rest of us.


This makes a lot of sense. It really seems like we might be waiting then till the end of the month, or even into May after the deposit deadline.



isnt this illegal or unfair?...US News uses yield to rank schools and by holding on to apps wouldn't they increasing their yield. Since a good number of people who wouldnt go to stanford (but are still waiting) would withdraw their apps.

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
YesNoMaybe wrote:Just to clarify SLS wont know that I deposited elsewhere right? There is no way for them to find out unless I end up double depositing at SLS and another school?

SLS won't know until May 15th.



don't think depositing at a school will affect your chances at a school u are waiting for....they know they are putting u in limbo it would be harsh to expect us to blindly wait for them to get back to us.

User avatar
ned
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ned » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:44 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
ScratchableItch wrote:
erikjc wrote:Is it possible they're waiting until after the ASW for people to commit/withdraw, so they have a better idea of what the class is going to look like? They seem to really care about the actual composition of the class, not just the size, so I wonder if they take the time to look at who has accepted a place thus far before deciding on the rest of us.


This makes a lot of sense. It really seems like we might be waiting then till the end of the month, or even into May after the deposit deadline.



isnt this illegal or unfair?...US News uses yield to rank schools and by holding on to apps wouldn't they increasing their yield. Since a good number of people who wouldnt go to stanford (but are still waiting) would withdraw their apps.


Everyone who has withdrawn recently has mysteriously been rejected the next day. It's all about the yield. They want to make sure they reject as many apps as possible and accept as few as is necessary, IMO.

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:53 pm

ned wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:
ScratchableItch wrote:
erikjc wrote:Is it possible they're waiting until after the ASW for people to commit/withdraw, so they have a better idea of what the class is going to look like? They seem to really care about the actual composition of the class, not just the size, so I wonder if they take the time to look at who has accepted a place thus far before deciding on the rest of us.


This makes a lot of sense. It really seems like we might be waiting then till the end of the month, or even into May after the deposit deadline.



isnt this illegal or unfair?...US News uses yield to rank schools and by holding on to apps wouldn't they increasing their yield. Since a good number of people who wouldnt go to stanford (but are still waiting) would withdraw their apps.


Everyone who has withdrawn recently has mysteriously been rejected the next day. It's all about the yield. They want to make sure they reject as many apps as possible and accept as few as is necessary, IMO.



Good point but why are they so obsessed with it this cycle..that they are willing to hold on people's apps this long. Yale is almost done so there will be a surge of withdrawals coming after this weekend...but Harvard is being just as STUPID (at this point i n the cycle I think this is the appropriate word). Also Harvard's WL moves faster than Stanford's and as the summer progresses people are not gonna want to go to Stanford after putting in a housing and tuition deposit...Does it not make sense to get all the decisions out as soon as possible? Am i the only one who thinks like this or am i just insane?

casunshine
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby casunshine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks to find some consolation while I waited for my boyfriend to hear back from Stanford, he's been waiting since December. I'm a bay area native and have been losing sleep over if I'd have to consider moving back east (He's in to NYU and Yale).

But he just got the call this morning!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to all, the phones are active!

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:09 pm

casunshine wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks to find some consolation while I waited for my boyfriend to hear back from Stanford, he's been waiting since December. I'm a bay area native and have been losing sleep over if I'd have to consider moving back east (He's in to NYU and Yale).

But he just got the call this morning!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to all, the phones are active!



thanks for creating a profile just to let us know..wishing u and your boyfriend the best.
If he is willing to turn down Yale for u..u must be special..lol

seanPtheB
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby seanPtheB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:18 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
casunshine wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks to find some consolation while I waited for my boyfriend to hear back from Stanford, he's been waiting since December. I'm a bay area native and have been losing sleep over if I'd have to consider moving back east (He's in to NYU and Yale).

But he just got the call this morning!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to all, the phones are active!



thanks for creating a profile just to let us know..wishing u and your boyfriend the best.
If he is willing to turn down Yale for u..u must be special..lol


ha so this. pics or it didn't happen.

Barca10
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Barca10 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:33 pm

casunshine wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks to find some consolation while I waited for my boyfriend to hear back from Stanford, he's been waiting since December. I'm a bay area native and have been losing sleep over if I'd have to consider moving back east (He's in to NYU and Yale).

But he just got the call this morning!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to all, the phones are active!


Congrats to you and your BF!!

Can you give us a little more info about his app and #'s? Also, is he a URM?

Thanks!

sallymae89
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sallymae89 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:45 pm

casunshine wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks to find some consolation while I waited for my boyfriend to hear back from Stanford, he's been waiting since December. I'm a bay area native and have been losing sleep over if I'd have to consider moving back east (He's in to NYU and Yale).

But he just got the call this morning!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to all, the phones are active!


Thanks for sharing! Would you mind giving us an idea of his numbers, work experience, whether or not he's a URM, etc.?

casunshine
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby casunshine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:25 pm

sallymae89 wrote:
casunshine wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks to find some consolation while I waited for my boyfriend to hear back from Stanford, he's been waiting since December. I'm a bay area native and have been losing sleep over if I'd have to consider moving back east (He's in to NYU and Yale).

But he just got the call this morning!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to all, the phones are active!


Thanks for sharing! Would you mind giving us an idea of his numbers, work experience, whether or not he's a URM, etc.?


He's a non-URM, and he had 180 LSAT and 3.83 overall GPA. He had 3 years legal experience after college, and 3 summers legal research during undergrad. He submitted his application on december 26, although there was a mix-up with the dean's certification letter so it wasn't officially complete until February. Hope that helps!

I'm going to tag along for admit weekend (82 degrees and sunny, heyo!), will be fun to guess who may be there from the TLS forums :)

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Image

User avatar
yepyepyep
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yepyepyep » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:30 pm

casunshine wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks to find some consolation while I waited for my boyfriend to hear back from Stanford, he's been waiting since December. I'm a bay area native and have been losing sleep over if I'd have to consider moving back east (He's in to NYU and Yale).

But he just got the call this morning!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to all, the phones are active!


Congrats! Looks like your b/f got today's token acceptance.
On to tomorrow!

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jim-green » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:32 pm

ned wrote:Everyone who has withdrawn recently has mysteriously been rejected the next day. It's all about the yield. They want to make sure they reject as many apps as possible and accept as few as is necessary, IMO.

I don't think there is any evidence for this, though I could be wrong.

User avatar
Chucky21
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Perhaps SLS really is waiting to see how many people withdraw in favor of HLS or YLS. Applications are down this year, so maybe they're not sure as to how many people will actually accept their offer.

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Chucky21 wrote:Perhaps SLS really is waiting to see how many people withdraw in favor of HLS or YLS. Applications are down this year, so maybe they're not sure as to how many people will actually accept their offer.



Less applicants should mean less apps to read and therefore faster decisions. Not holding my application hostage.

hellothisisme
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:50 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hellothisisme » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Is there a date by which Stanford has stated they will definitely have made an initial decision?

Or could this conceivably go on forever?

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:12 pm

hellothisisme wrote:Is there a date by which Stanford has stated they will definitely have made an initial decision?

Or could this conceivably go on forever?


Well, their deposit deadline is May 1st. So conceivably you would either be accepted, WL'd, or rejected at that point.

User avatar
Dino_Spumoni
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dino_Spumoni » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:15 pm

It sure seems like it will go on forever. I went complete in October and have heard nothing!!! I even emailed telling them about my early deadlines, but they just said that they are working on it. It's amazing to me that Stanford cost me the most to apply to and has literally given me the least info on what's going on.

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:17 pm

Dino_Spumoni wrote:It sure seems like it will go on forever. I went complete in October and have heard nothing!!! I even emailed telling them about my early deadlines, but they just said that they are working on it. It's amazing to me that Stanford cost me the most to apply to and has literally given me the least info on what's going on.


More money more problems.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:21 pm

hellothisisme wrote:Or could this conceivably go on forever?


--ImageRemoved--

For. Eh. Ver.

User avatar
yepyepyep
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yepyepyep » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 pm

Even an update to the blog letting us know what's happening would be appreciated.

User avatar
yepyepyep
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yepyepyep » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:26 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:Perhaps SLS really is waiting to see how many people withdraw in favor of HLS or YLS. Applications are down this year, so maybe they're not sure as to how many people will actually accept their offer.



Less applicants should mean less apps to read and therefore faster decisions. Not holding my application hostage.


Could be that fewer applicants means they need to dig through their "meh" pile more b/c there weren't enough auto-admits.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jim-green » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:33 pm

yepyepyep wrote:Could be that fewer applicants means they need to dig through their "meh" pile more b/c there weren't enough auto-admits.
Then why are they rejecting Israeli snipers with 179s?

User avatar
yepyepyep
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yepyepyep » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:40 pm

jim-green wrote:
yepyepyep wrote:Could be that fewer applicants means they need to dig through their "meh" pile more b/c there weren't enough auto-admits.
Then why are they rejecting Israeli snipers with 179s?


I dont think my hypothesis can be applied to particular applicants...just the general delay (they have to weigh more applicants that are harder to compare, and they had hoped they wouldn't have to make these decisions by getting enough auto-admits). I don't know why a particular applicant got rejected. Maybe the class already had a lot of Israeli snipers with 179's? I don't know. It is strange.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, carlos_danger, Daaltaraan and 17 guests