Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ned

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ned » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:31 pm

I think I know why this is taking so long. I imagine that when the admissions committee reads my application, it might go a little like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu2xJ_krS_E

Stanford, don't repress your feelings for me!

brogoc

Postby brogoc » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:57 pm

ned wrote:Question for y'all: I have a new professional item to add to my resume. It's basically just an upgrade to a position I hold at a research lab, and also the lab was upgraded to a "Center". My activities haven't changed very much, but it's still a "new development" so I want to inform my schools.

Should I send a new copy of my resume with that one extra item added to it, or should I just send a note about the new upgrades without a new resume? If I send a whole new resume, how do I draw their attention to the new item?

I did both a few weeks ago. Wrote a one-paragraph email mentioning new w.e. and reiterating my interest in the school. A sort of mini-loci. Then attached an updated resume with a couple new lines.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Br3v wrote:Hey guys, so I will be applying next cycle, SLS would a dream come true as I think it would be for anyone. I figured being as you are fresh off of/still applying you are the perfect group to ask about next year as of now.

My question deals with whether or not to apply early in fall, or wait until better gpa after fall grades post. I know this is an often discussed topic on TLS but wanted to know about SLS specifically as maybe some of you made this decision this cycle.

My potentially best gpa if applying in fall would be 3.67/3.68 I forgot the exact number, but applying after dec grades would be 3.72 (praying). Looking at numbers, it appears this is a significant difference being this could put me from below 25th percentile to at it. How would you suggest handling this? Submitting early? Submitting after fall grades (in December) or submitting early than updating with new grades (can you even do that?)

I know this question doesn't necessarily belong in this thread but anyone who has some advice, it would be appreciated and given much weight.

If this year has been any indicator there seems to be no preference given to early applicants. I honestly believe the "apply early" story is a bit of a myth, perpetuated by the admission's staff (cls cough) in an attempt to make their job more doable. It helps them for you to apply early, but i'm yet to see any meaningful data that shows it actually helps.

poe

Postby poe » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:48 am

Any other soft holds feel like this weekend is realllllly dragging on?

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:05 am

poe wrote:Any other soft holds feel like this weekend is realllllly dragging on?

Yeah I think the weekend has always been sloooow because we look forward to the weekdays just to get our decisions. I can't wait till everything goes back to normal and we go back to hating weekdays. But I'm not sure I'm looking forward to this week because I'm not sure the fact that someone has been waitilisted without requesting an expedited decision means they have stopped accepting people. I thought they dealt with acceptances and then moved on to the WLs and more rejections.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:14 pm

admisionquestion wrote:
Br3v wrote:Hey guys, so I will be applying next cycle, SLS would a dream come true as I think it would be for anyone. I figured being as you are fresh off of/still applying you are the perfect group to ask about next year as of now.

My question deals with whether or not to apply early in fall, or wait until better gpa after fall grades post. I know this is an often discussed topic on TLS but wanted to know about SLS specifically as maybe some of you made this decision this cycle.

My potentially best gpa if applying in fall would be 3.67/3.68 I forgot the exact number, but applying after dec grades would be 3.72 (praying). Looking at numbers, it appears this is a significant difference being this could put me from below 25th percentile to at it. How would you suggest handling this? Submitting early? Submitting after fall grades (in December) or submitting early than updating with new grades (can you even do that?)

I know this question doesn't necessarily belong in this thread but anyone who has some advice, it would be appreciated and given much weight.

If this year has been any indicator there seems to be no preference given to early applicants. I honestly believe the "apply early" story is a bit of a myth, perpetuated by the admission's staff (cls cough) in an attempt to make their job more doable. It helps them for you to apply early, but i'm yet to see any meaningful data that shows it actually helps.

I don't know what you're smoking but applying early does help your chances. If you are only looking at your cycle, or only looking at Stanford, then you might have a skewed perspective. But ONLY people who applied in September and October, who have my same stats, have gotten into Stanford. There are also far more people who have gotten accepted to Chicago who applied in Sep/Oct with my stats than at any other time. People with my same stats have gotten $75000 to full rides at UVA. I haven't heard back from Stanford and I was waitlisted at Chi and UVA. I have only been paying attention to my stats too. Im sure it's true for other people as well. I am not discounting people's resumes and background but there have been enough accepted applicants at these schools for me to conclude that stats and how early your application is turned in do have an effect.

yepyepyep

Postby yepyepyep » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:

I don't know what you're smoking but applying early does help your chances. If you are only looking at your cycle, or only looking at Stanford, then you might have a skewed perspective. But ONLY people who applied in September and October, who have my same stats, have gotten into Stanford. There are also far more people who have gotten accepted to Chicago who applied in Sep/Oct with my stats than at any other time. People with my same stats have gotten $75000 to full rides at UVA. I haven't heard back from Stanford and I was waitlisted at Chi and UVA. I have only been paying attention to my stats too. Im sure it's true for other people as well. I am not discounting people's resumes and background but there have been enough accepted applicants at these schools for me to conclude that stats and how early your application is turned in do have an effect.

+1
I think if I submitted later than I did (Early Nov), I would be out of H and S. As it is, I'm still in the running. I think it's just another soft factor they consider (interest/being on top of your stuff). It's not like it'll outweigh 10 points on the LSAT or anything, but the more they associate someone with being on top of it, the better, I think. So to OP, I'd submit and then update your grades ASAP. It will also depend on your LSAT (whether you will be held by virtue of that). I'm not sure when Stanford's first DLS's come out, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I think they come out after their deadline. On LSN, the first reject was 2/16. By then you'll have your grades and will be able to update in plenty of time.

hicrhodus

Postby hicrhodus » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:30 am

I just got a rejection letter dated April 9, a mere 5+ months after I applied. The amusing part is that I withdrew my app on April 8 after accepting a scholarship at NYU. Good luck to those of you still in the hold pile.
Last edited by hicrhodus on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 am

poe wrote:Any other soft holds feel like this weekend is realllllly dragging on?

No, I was at Berkeley's Admitted Students weekend and it was amazing!! :P I did meet tons of other Stanford soft-holds there too actually. It seemed like no one actually heard from Stanford there.

chucklesmcgee

Postby chucklesmcgee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:37 am

Well the adcom office should be open. Let the bloodbath continue!

ethicallawyer

Postby ethicallawyer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:58 am

there is hope all... went to both boalt and ucla this weekend and met plenty of students who were waiting and a few who just heard last week! we're not done yet....

Dean Deal, please place a call to me soon and end my agony! I won't hold the wait against you...

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:10 pm

ethicallawyer wrote:there is hope all... went to both boalt and ucla this weekend and met plenty of students who were waiting and a few who just heard last week! we're not done yet....

Dean Deal, please place a call to me soon and end my agony! I won't hold the wait against you...

yeah people reported phone calls last week...although I appreciate the positivity, it a new week and we cant really tell what gonna happen until someone reports something. Hopefully someone reports good news.

klingonsrock

Postby klingonsrock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Weird question...I applied 9/15, and my status checker has read "your application has been submitted for review" ever since.
I have written an LOCI and updated my resume, but my status checker has never changed to "your application is currently being reviewed" or similar. Am I driving myself crazy, or are they just holding my file in the "circular file cabinet under the desk"? My numbers are not ideal, but I feel like they would have told me by now if I was an immediate denial...
Thanks for any words of sanity!

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:11 pm

klingonsrock wrote:Weird question...I applied 9/15, and my status checker has read "your application has been submitted for review" ever since.
I have written an LOCI and updated my resume, but my status checker has never changed to "your application is currently being reviewed" or similar. Am I driving myself crazy, or are they just holding my file in the "circular file cabinet under the desk"? My numbers are not ideal, but I feel like they would have told me by now if I was an immediate denial...

Everyone who hasn't been denied yet says submitted for review. I recommend finding a book or constructive hobby. You might be driving yourself a little nuts.

ned

Postby ned » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Went to an ASW this weekend where everyone seemed to know people waiting on Stanford. That reinforced my sense of impending doom.

klingonsrock

Postby klingonsrock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
klingonsrock wrote:Weird question...I applied 9/15, and my status checker has read "your application has been submitted for review" ever since.

Everyone who hasn't been denied yet says submitted for review. I recommend finding a book or constructive hobby. You might be driving yourself a little nuts.

Challenge accepted! Just started Game of Thrones...thanks!

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:14 pm

its looking like nothing happens on mondays

doubledare

Postby doubledare » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Thought some of you might be interested in what happened to me...

I've been complete with no word since 1/13. Received scholarship offers at other T14s with deadlines in the very near future and told Stanford that to see if maybe that would hasten a decision. They emailed back within a week letting me know I've been waitlisted and to expect a letter in the mail...

I'm not sure if I did the right thing but it was good to get a decision, and, hey, now I know.

klingonsrock

Postby klingonsrock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:06 pm

sharktankdean wrote:its looking like nothing happens on mondays

substitute "ever" for "on mondays"

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:36 pm

doubledare wrote:Thought some of you might be interested in what happened to me...

I've been complete with no word since 1/13. Received scholarship offers at other T14s with deadlines in the very near future and told Stanford that to see if maybe that would hasten a decision. They emailed back within a week letting me know I've been waitlisted and to expect a letter in the mail...

I'm not sure if I did the right thing but it was good to get a decision, and, hey, now I know.

people have been doing this...but since no one had come back with an acceptance..I was worried about doing the same...i rather just get rejected/wl when they feel like telling me than wonder if my actions (hurrying them up) had anything to do with their decision

ned

Postby ned » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:36 pm

DLS!! Gulp.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:43 pm

ned wrote:DLS!! Gulp.

damn, still nothing on my side. what are they doing over there??

poe

Postby poe » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:44 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:

Waiting to accept us with full scholarships?

ned

Postby ned » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:46 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:

I emailed them to ask if it was too late to update my file with new information. This was the response I suppose. I guess they're just sitting on decisions. I'm out :(

yepyepyep

Postby yepyepyep » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Noooo! Sorry Ned. But given last week, still a high chance its a WL.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”