Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yepyepyep

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yepyepyep » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:16 am

Bronck wrote:
ned wrote:I'm on the 5th book. It's a diversion seemingly without end. In a good way.

Should I read GoT before watching the TV series? Was planning on doing both eventually.

I'm watching the entire TV series (all seasons, whenever that completes) before reading the books b/c I wanted to appreciate it as a TV show first (just to appreciate it from that medium), and then read the books after the show is complete. This is a minority opinion, though. A lot of people I know watched the first season, and then in the interim read all the books. Or you could watch through the second season (going on now), and then take the 10 month hiatus from any GoT TV glory to read the books so you don't get too starved from greatness. (I may end up caving to this latter option this summer...)

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:43 am

yepyepyep wrote:
Bronck wrote:
ned wrote:I'm on the 5th book. It's a diversion seemingly without end. In a good way.

Should I read GoT before watching the TV series? Was planning on doing both eventually.

I'm watching the entire TV series (all seasons, whenever that completes) before reading the books b/c I wanted to appreciate it as a TV show first (just to appreciate it from that medium), and then read the books after the show is complete. This is a minority opinion, though. A lot of people I know watched the first season, and then in the interim read all the books. Or you could watch through the second season (going on now), and then take the 10 month hiatus from any GoT TV glory to read the books so you don't get too starved from greatness. (I may end up caving to this latter option this summer...)

You're gonna read the books after season two. There is just no getting around it. You will have burning questions that you just can't answer. I don't think there is a wrong answer with this. I started reading after the first season and there is a lot more complexity to the books. It's pretty rewarding because some of the characters (Tyrion to name one) are so much more fleshed out in the books.

ned

Postby ned » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
yepyepyep wrote:
Bronck wrote:

You're gonna read the books after season two. There is just no getting around it. You will have burning questions that you just can't answer. I don't think there is a wrong answer with this. I started reading after the first season and there is a lot more complexity to the books. It's pretty rewarding because some of the characters (Tyrion to name one) are so much more fleshed out in the books.

I started reading before the show came out, so I've never read the same chapters and episodes concurrently. I think it's been nice reading first then watching the show while I'm dealing with totally different characters in the book. My wife and I always roll our eyes at the changes the show makes to characters, some of which are made seemingly just for greater mass appeal. Still a good show though. Also, the actors replace whatever I'd previously imagined the characters looking like. Sometimes I wish I could forget the actors' faces.

ricsllscir

Postby ricsllscir » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:41 am

ned wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
yepyepyep wrote:
Bronck wrote:

I started reading before the show came out, so I've never read the same chapters and episodes concurrently. I think it's been nice reading first then watching the show while I'm dealing with totally different characters in the book. My wife and I always roll our eyes at the changes the show makes to characters, some of which are made seemingly just for greater mass appeal. Still a good show though. Also, the actors replace whatever I'd previously imagined the characters looking like. Sometimes I wish I could forget the actors' faces.

Pluuuus, the author's probably going to croak pretty soon and writes about a book a decade, so I probably wouldn't hold out for much...

ned

Postby ned » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:52 am

I've been fortunate in my life, and sometimes, maybe twice a decade, my deepest desires inexplicably come to fruition. The catch is, in almost every instance, the goal is achieved long after the height of desire has long passed. The idealized excitement recedes behind a sober realization that it's just not gonna happen, and maybe it's for the best. I take solace in not having to deal with the upheaval such an accomplishment will cause in my life. I take comfort in appreciating what I have, and begin to see the original goal as delusional and even downright silly. It's only at that point that my wildest dreams ever come true.

So Stanford, I say whatever, call or don't call, I'll be fine either way. I love living in NYC. Moving to California would be such an ordeal. Don't get me wrong, I'll drop everything if you call me. I'll cross this continent for you. But things are cool over here, so don't worry about me. It's all good.

Lurkerturnedposter

Postby Lurkerturnedposter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 am

I too am waiting. Any reasoned guesses as to how many people are still under review?

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:25 pm

URM who didn't get to ride the wave... still silence since October :(

user_france

Postby user_france » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Lurkerturnedposter wrote:I too am waiting. Any reasoned guesses as to how many people are still under review?

still under review. app went complete 1/12.

poultry

Postby poultry » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:31 pm

user_france wrote:
Lurkerturnedposter wrote:I too am waiting. Any reasoned guesses as to how many people are still under review?

In via email just now. Soft hold, submitted early November. International.

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:34 pm

poultry wrote:
user_france wrote:

Horay! Congratulations!

ned

Postby ned » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:46 pm

splbagel wrote:
poultry wrote:
user_france wrote:

Horay! Congratulations!

congrats! is it normal practice for internationals to be contacted by email or are they pulling a Yale and switching to email to expedite?

poultry

Postby poultry » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:47 pm

I reside in the States though. I missed a call from Dean Deal. I am kicking myself for that. And then she followed up with email. How nice!

congrats! is it normal practice for internationals to be contacted by email or are they pulling a Yale and switching to email to expedite?[/quote]

ned

Postby ned » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:51 pm

poultry wrote:I reside in the States though. I missed a call from Dean Deal. I am kicking myself for that. And then she followed up with email. How nice!

congrats! is it normal practice for internationals to be contacted by email or are they pulling a Yale and switching to email to expedite?
[/quote]

It would be hilarious if schools decided that you don't get in if you miss the call. A whole new layer of anxiety.

puppylaw

Postby puppylaw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Bronck wrote:

I'm a huge fan of the books and can't believe that I'd been missing them until the show came out. I definitely recommend reading at least the first book before starting the show so that you can feel your own way into the world. The series is epic in the best way.

On another note, I got in to Stanford! I am incredulous.
I know people want to see this:
Non-URM
Complete since October
Silence since October
174, 3.7
3 years work experience
ETA: LOCI sent 2 weeks ago
Last edited by puppylaw on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:54 pm

puppylaw wrote:
Bronck wrote:

I'm a huge fan of the books and can't believe that I'd been missing them until the show came out. I definitely recommend reading at least the first book before starting the show so that you can feel your own way into the world. The series is epic in the best way.

Non-URM
Complete since October
Silence since October
174, 3.7
3 years work experience

Congrats to you and poultry!

And thanks to you (and everyone else) for the GoT advice :lol:

puppylaw

Postby puppylaw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:54 pm

ned wrote:
poultry wrote:I reside in the States though. I missed a call from Dean Deal. I am kicking myself for that. And then she followed up with email. How nice!

It would be hilarious if schools decided that you don't get in if you miss the call. A whole new layer of anxiety.[/quote]

Or... What if schools decided that if you took the call you don't get in because you should be in class/ at work. Anyway, they're still letting people know via phone, and it sure is exciting.

ned

Postby ned » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:57 pm

puppylaw wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Non-URM
Complete since October
Silence since October
174, 3.7
3 years work experience

Congrats! Hoping for a GoT sweep at Stanford!

yepyepyep

Postby yepyepyep » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Congrats!
Looks like today is soft hold day

Genki

Postby Genki » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Congrats!!!!

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:17 pm

In by telephone call!!! Ecstatic!!! Submitted first day available. 9/15 under review date. No word since! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:18 pm

wow looks like SLS is making up for lost time

erikjc

Postby erikjc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Kimberly wrote:In by telephone call!!! Ecstatic!!! Submitted first day available. 9/15 under review date. No word since! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!

Congrats! Stats? URM?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Wow congrats. Now I'm really starting to get anxious....

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:23 pm

erikjc wrote:
Kimberly wrote:In by telephone call!!! Ecstatic!!! Submitted first day available. 9/15 under review date. No word since! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!

Congrats! Stats? URM?

NON URM; good softs; 168/3.67

txl

Postby txl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Congrats!
Last edited by txl on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”