Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KaleidoscopeEyes
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KaleidoscopeEyes » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:19 pm

MumofCad wrote:@Schola - not Stanford, don't worry lol ;)

@lawschoolproject - Unfortunately for us non-trads, I've heard that is the way all fin aid for law school's work. If you're going to need it most likely, you might as well get it now. I'm not up-to-date on these things, but I think my Harvard friend said it works on some sort of sliding scale based on your age and it isn't a non-factor until like 30+ :( Not sure if that is accurate, but before you give up, you might want to find out if you are going to need the info anyhow later on KWIM? I thought she said at 28, they took into account 20% of her parent's income and it was a real pain because they were small business owners who aren't great about that sort of thing and it was just plain awkward.

This document explains it all: http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/tuition/jd/doc/2011/Handbook2011-12.pdf. You start to get shielded from your parent's income/assets starting at age 26. From everything I've read, the need based aid is quite generous at Stanford compared to others.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:33 pm

So looks like the government considers you independent if you haven't been claimed by anyone as a dependent since 2007 (assuming 2006's was last year) on a tax form AND haven't received more than 5k from them since 2007. Maybe you could recall Stanford or leave it blank, attach an addendum explaining that according to the FAFSA you are an independent because you meet both requirements?

Otherwise, hope you are 29.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:37 pm

Yeah, a couple years shy of 29. But that definitely helps. I shall try again tomorrow.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jim-green » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:30 pm

What's the latest on the status checkers? Anyone under review yet, or still just complete?

User avatar
curiouscat
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiouscat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:33 pm

jim-green wrote:What's the latest on the status checkers? Anyone under review yet, or still just complete?


Under review here, submitted 10/27.

User avatar
Justdoingmybest
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Justdoingmybest » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Mine says 'submitted for review' submitted 10/30
not sure if 'submitted for review' = 'under review' though

User avatar
tamarind49
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tamarind49 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:41 pm

jim-green wrote:What's the latest on the status checkers? Anyone under review yet, or still just complete?


Mine says "Your file has been submitted for review."

User avatar
curiouscat
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiouscat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Justdoingmybest wrote:Mine says 'submitted for review' submitted 10/30
not sure if 'submitted for review' = 'under review' though


yeah, that's what mine says too, i just figured that was the same thing as being under review. does stanford give a separate status for that?

User avatar
euskadi
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:02 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby euskadi » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Perhaps this has been discussed on an earlier page, so I apologize beforehand if it has. But do you all suppose it's worth reworking my PS to include my motivation(s) for wanting to attend Stanford? I didn't manage to get any SLS-specific letters of recommendation, and I wasn't sure if a lack of anything directly related to the law school would hurt my chances significantly. Though my numbers are adequate, I'm feeling like I've got very little chance of admission, considering the genericness of my application (or what it would be were I to submit today).

Thanks for any and all help.

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby horrorbusiness » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:52 pm

3.37/167/ Mexican URM.

California resident, went to a UC. Would an app be a complete waste? I'm guessing so, but if a few people say it's worth a shot I might try.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jim-green » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:53 pm

?
Last edited by jim-green on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lrslayer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:55 pm

so i called their admissions last week and they told me that a department dean could send the cert form. i did just that. today i get an email that it has to be the dean of students so now i am scrambling to get that done. thanks to whoever gave me the bum info two weeks ago on the phone! arg

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby horrorbusiness » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:56 pm

.
Last edited by horrorbusiness on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim-green
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jim-green » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:06 pm

.
Last edited by jim-green on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tamarind49
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tamarind49 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Not a Stanford question, so sorry about that but can someone answer this question for me please? I'm not a US citizen, but I guess I'm not considered "international" really because I went to college in the US. I'm NOT from an under-represented country, but I grew up/live in an under-represented country. My family still lives there, and that's my permanent home. What does this make of me - am I considered URM or not? I have always been confused about this... and I just want to know. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:35 pm

tamarind49 wrote:Not a Stanford question, so sorry about that but can someone answer this question for me please? I'm not a US citizen, but I guess I'm not considered "international" really because I went to college in the US. I'm NOT from an under-represented country, but I grew up/live in an under-represented country. My family still lives there, and that's my permanent home. What does this make of me - am I considered URM or not? I have always been confused about this... and I just want to know. Any thoughts would be appreciated!


Are you Caucasian? If so, it doesn't matter where you grew up.

User avatar
tamarind49
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tamarind49 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
tamarind49 wrote:Not a Stanford question, so sorry about that but can someone answer this question for me please? I'm not a US citizen, but I guess I'm not considered "international" really because I went to college in the US. I'm NOT from an under-represented country, but I grew up/live in an under-represented country. My family still lives there, and that's my permanent home. What does this make of me - am I considered URM or not? I have always been confused about this... and I just want to know. Any thoughts would be appreciated!


Are you Caucasian? If so, it doesn't matter where you grew up.


No, I'm Asian who grew up in an under-represented country. Would that make it any different?

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:42 pm

tamarind49 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
tamarind49 wrote:Not a Stanford question, so sorry about that but can someone answer this question for me please? I'm not a US citizen, but I guess I'm not considered "international" really because I went to college in the US. I'm NOT from an under-represented country, but I grew up/live in an under-represented country. My family still lives there, and that's my permanent home. What does this make of me - am I considered URM or not? I have always been confused about this... and I just want to know. Any thoughts would be appreciated!


Are you Caucasian? If so, it doesn't matter where you grew up.


No, I'm Asian who grew up in an under-represented country. Would that make it any different?


Oh, no. Asian doesn't count either. You actually have to be of a particular race to get the boost.

tamereth
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:10 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tamereth » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:43 pm

lrslayer wrote:so i called their admissions last week and they told me that a department dean could send the cert form. i did just that. today i get an email that it has to be the dean of students so now i am scrambling to get that done. thanks to whoever gave me the bum info two weeks ago on the phone! arg


If it helps, you can get your dean's office to email the form to Stanford. That will definitely get it there faster than snail mail.

User avatar
tamarind49
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tamarind49 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
tamarind49 wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
tamarind49 wrote:Not a Stanford question, so sorry about that but can someone answer this question for me please? I'm not a US citizen, but I guess I'm not considered "international" really because I went to college in the US. I'm NOT from an under-represented country, but I grew up/live in an under-represented country. My family still lives there, and that's my permanent home. What does this make of me - am I considered URM or not? I have always been confused about this... and I just want to know. Any thoughts would be appreciated!


Are you Caucasian? If so, it doesn't matter where you grew up.


No, I'm Asian who grew up in an under-represented country. Would that make it any different?


Oh, no. Asian doesn't count either. You actually have to be of a particular race to get the boost.


I see. Thanks for clarifying this for me! :)

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lrslayer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:14 pm

tamereth wrote:
lrslayer wrote:so i called their admissions last week and they told me that a department dean could send the cert form. i did just that. today i get an email that it has to be the dean of students so now i am scrambling to get that done. thanks to whoever gave me the bum info two weeks ago on the phone! arg


If it helps, you can get your dean's office to email the form to Stanford. That will definitely get it there faster than snail mail.

ya, the problem is i haven't been able to get the dean all day. phone or email. ugh.

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Has anyone had any luck with a solicited/unsolicited merit fee waiver from Stanford at all?

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:39 pm

YHS doesn't give merit fee waivers, so no.

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lrslayer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Oh F'N spectacular! the dean finally emailed me back and is now arguing with me about whether she is the one who fills it out or not. For god's sake; it says DEANS CERTIFICATION!!! wtf?!

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sandwiches5000 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:03 am

Omgah. Under review and someone from Stanford looked at my LinkedIn profile.

:shock:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: longsh0305, MSNbot Media, potterotter, Pozzo and 12 guests