Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:17 pm

bogm2012 wrote:
amc987 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
brogoc wrote:Looking like this week is the week that was not the week. Unless today is the day.
Sad. I had my hopes up all week.
Well I guess there's always next week...Ugh. Hopefully Stanford gets back to us at some point in THIS lifetime.
Offices don't close at 2pm on the West Coast, guys.
True, but looking back in this thread I haven't seen a single call made later than 4pm EST...

euskadi

Bronze

Post by euskadi » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Though I acknowledge that I'm waiting in vain for an acceptance (would bloody love one, however!), I can't help but feel bad for those who will be admitted next week (if that does indeed happen). What do you suppose the admissions committee is thinking re transport to their ASW in two weeks? I'd think they'd be keen to have newly accepted students in Palo Alto then and so would attempt to get acceptances out a bit earlier than the week before. Perhaps this is only a minor concern and I'm exaggerating its importance. But I still find it a bit odd to delay their response to soft holds for such a significant period of time, especially (as noted by someone on the last page or so) as ticket prices shoot up.

Oh, well. I'd be chuffed with a Stanford acceptance no matter when it came.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:59 pm

They can accept me whenever because I think I have $30 to my name and won't be attending any ASWs anywhere.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:01 pm

euskadi wrote:Though I acknowledge that I'm waiting in vain for an acceptance (would bloody love one, however!), I can't help but feel bad for those who will be admitted next week (if that does indeed happen). What do you suppose the admissions committee is thinking re transport to their ASW in two weeks? I'd think they'd be keen to have newly accepted students in Palo Alto then and so would attempt to get acceptances out a bit earlier than the week before. Perhaps this is only a minor concern and I'm exaggerating its importance. But I still find it a bit odd to delay their response to soft holds for such a significant period of time, especially (as noted by someone on the last page or so) as ticket prices shoot up.

u make an excellent point. the dean made a really big deal about asw during the acceptance call, and it wouldn't seem right to needlessly put someone in such a position. on the other hand, stanford is stanford--u dont really need asw to be convinced of that.

Re: the person with little money. i so hear u. if not for the generous travel aid of certain schools, there is no way i could afford this. on the plus side, this means lots of need-based aid willl be thrown ur way?!

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:01 pm

euskadi wrote:Though I acknowledge that I'm waiting in vain for an acceptance (would bloody love one, however!), I can't help but feel bad for those who will be admitted next week (if that does indeed happen). What do you suppose the admissions committee is thinking re transport to their ASW in two weeks? I'd think they'd be keen to have newly accepted students in Palo Alto then and so would attempt to get acceptances out a bit earlier than the week before. Perhaps this is only a minor concern and I'm exaggerating its importance. But I still find it a bit odd to delay their response to soft holds for such a significant period of time, especially (as noted by someone on the last page or so) as ticket prices shoot up.

I mean we can all google pics of we want to see the campus..not being able to go to ASW is not gonna affect my decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:04 pm

Geneva wrote:

u make an excellent point. the dean made a really big deal about asw during the acceptance call, and it wouldn't seem right to needlessly put someone in such a position. on the other hand, stanford is stanford--u dont really need asw to be convinced of that.

Re: the person with little money. i so hear u. if not for the generous travel aid of certain schools, there is no way i could afford this. on the plus side, this means lots of need-based aid willl be thrown ur way?!
lol no. My parents are pretty well off. I am just a K-JD who just quit his job to concentrate on my last semester and the parents aren't throwing me any bones. Planned on going to UVA's ASW with a $400 travel stipend, but even that couldn't work because flights are hella expensive from the boondox.

bogm2012

New

Post by bogm2012 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Geneva wrote:

Speaking of this - doesn't Stanford give a pretty generous stipend for travel? Berkeley gives $300 for OOS folks and I thought Stanford was better.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:16 pm

I'd choose Stanford without an ASW. I'm completely desperate. I recognize this. It's pathetic.

Also, still waiting on my reimbursement from UVA...

euskadi

Bronze

Post by euskadi » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm

sharktankdean wrote: I mean we can all google pics of we want to see the campus..not being able to go to ASW is not gonna affect my decision.
Yeah, I did mention a bit about flight prices, from which you could have inferred that I'm personally concerned about whether I can make it to the ASW if accepted. But this isn't the message I meant to send. I'm committed to the idea that I won't be accepted, so any word from SLS will be warmly received. I was attempting to look at it from the perspective of the law school, and most seem keen to get students to come out for their ASWs.

A visit isn't necessary to sell me on the school - though I think Stanford knows that once you've brought someone to their campus, it'd be hard to get him/her to say no. At the same time, though, it'd be interesting to see yield rates for those accepted in April. I could see them being higher than for the rest of the applicant pool, since we've stuck around longer and are perhaps more committed to the school. Thus less of a concern with luring us to Palo Alto... meh, my apologies for wasting your time with inane blathering.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:24 pm

bogm2012 wrote:
Geneva wrote:

Speaking of this - doesn't Stanford give a pretty generous stipend for travel? Berkeley gives $300 for OOS folks and I thought Stanford was better.
Stanford gives $400 and it may not be limited to OOS, but there are restrictions on how the money can be used. UCLA pays for the whole shebang for URM students: airfare, hotel, prepared meals and an additional $50 food stipend.

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:30 pm

This is so not an issue. I care far less about ASW and timing than a positive outcome. And a late acceptance is a million times better than a late rejection.... Each wave of rejections that doesn't include you only gets your hopes up. Extrapolate to June, then a rejection. Ouch.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:38 pm

"A decision letter has been sent"

So I'm guessing my rejection is en route.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:13 pm

BVest wrote:"A decision letter has been sent"

Me too

Been complete since 9/18... one hell of a ride

ETA: Do they normally send out WL via snail mail?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hiphopopotamuss

New

Post by hiphopopotamuss » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:01 am

deleted
Last edited by hiphopopotamuss on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:32 am

Kring345 wrote:

Me too

Yeah, sorry you got bad news after such a long wait. They seem to be pruning the soft holds now. Wonder if they still go in order of complete date....

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:38 am

Kring345 wrote:

Me too

Sorry bud. I looked through last years thread regarding your question, and it seems like applicants were able to call and get the decision over the phone, at least in the case of waitlists. Might be an option, since you're still in the 'stan, right?

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:08 pm

EMZE wrote:Sorry bud. I looked through last years thread regarding your question, and it seems like applicants were able to call and get the decision over the phone, at least in the case of waitlists. Might be an option, since you're still in the 'stan, right?
Yep, still over here, unfortunately. My Bn CO made his commercial phone available to me, so maybe I'll give them a call. But my family, where my mail is being forwarded, may receive the letter by that point anyhow since I'll have to wait until Monday back in the states. On that note, I must say that having to wait for decisions to roll out is extra annoying when working every single day of the week and having to wait for the weekend to pass even though youre still doing the same thing as Monday-Friday. Normally while deployed, the day of the week is irrelevant. Realizing that it's Saturday or Sunday in the 'real world' is frustrating.

ETA: that last bit barely makes sense. Whatever. Long day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Kring345 wrote:
EMZE wrote:Sorry bud. I looked through last years thread regarding your question, and it seems like applicants were able to call and get the decision over the phone, at least in the case of waitlists. Might be an option, since you're still in the 'stan, right?
Yep, still over here, unfortunately. My Bn CO made his commercial phone available to me, so maybe I'll give them a call. But my family, where my mail is being forwarded, may receive the letter by that point anyhow since I'll have to wait until Monday back in the states. On that note, I must say that having to wait for decisions to roll out is extra annoying when working every single day of the week and having to wait for the weekend to pass even though youre still doing the same thing as Monday-Friday. Normally while deployed, the day of the week is irrelevant. Realizing that it's Saturday or Sunday in the 'real world' is frustrating.

ETA: that last bit barely makes sense. Whatever. Long day.
I gotcha man. My wife is there at present. Not sure where you are, but she's at Fenty in Nangarhar. Since you're a marine with a super smart MOS I'm guessing you're at BAF or KAF.

chucklesmcgee

Bronze

Post by chucklesmcgee » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:12 pm

10/25/2011- Your file has been submitted for review

AND THE GAME GOES ON

Buh-nuh-nuh-nunna-nah

bogm2012

New

Post by bogm2012 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:14 pm

justinp

Bronze

Post by justinp » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Mk so. Still under review, have been since 11/17. WHAT MEANS?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

klingonsrock

New

Post by klingonsrock » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:17 pm

brogoc wrote:Looking like this week is the week that was not the week. Unless today is the day.
best summary of this experience, ever.

klingonsrock

New

Post by klingonsrock » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Elendil wrote:
Geneva wrote:
ru1ess wrote:After meeting and speaking with Dean Deal, and considering she has a child in College-- I would say she's closer to 50, if not older. SOOOOO pregnancy is definitely not in the picture. However, I do think that we will get some news today-- as flights to Preview Weekend are soaring.. Not like they care-- but I'm just sayin'
tempted to just drive from l.a. to palo alto, but don't have that kind of time.
Maybe I'll just drive from New York to Palo Alto...
TLS Soft Hold Road Trip 2012!

WOOOOOOOOOO
I'm down. But considering I'm 10 minutes away...

yepyepyep

Bronze

Post by yepyepyep » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:33 pm

klingonsrock wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Elendil wrote: Maybe I'll just drive from New York to Palo Alto...
TLS Soft Hold Road Trip 2012!

WOOOOOOOOOO
I'm down. But considering I'm 10 minutes away...
Like Enterprise, we'll pick you up.

Airallie

New

Post by Airallie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:45 pm

quote]

I'm down. But considering I'm 10 minutes away...[/quote]

Ru1ess or whoever said " I'm down. But considering I'm 10 minutes away..."
I am also a soft hold living 10 minutes away from campus in Woodside. Where are you from? Also for the 2 of us and others who are local 650 people, does anyone know which numbers come after (650)? I agree that the soft holds among us should form a club. I also wish status check changes /phone calls occurred on weekends though Dean Deal and others in admissions deserve a break. Still the the wait is killing me! [quote="klingonsrock"]

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”