Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Excellent117

Bronze

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by Excellent117 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:45 pm

DLS :( it was fun while it lasted

kindaklueless

Bronze

Post by kindaklueless » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:46 pm

Just now? UR date?

Sorry to hear.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:49 pm

kindaklueless wrote:Just now? UR date?

Sorry to hear.
Could have been anytime in the past 4 hours....1/6

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:32 pm

From SLS website:

"...However, some applications are held until the committee has reviewed the entire applicant pool. This second review occurs in April, at which time the class will be filled. (A small number of applications will be held for possible use in filling vacancies that may occur during the summer.)"

Can anyone clarify, does SLS ever notify the folks being held for the second review once that decision has been made?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:35 pm

ned wrote:From SLS website:

"...However, some applications are held until the committee has reviewed the entire applicant pool. This second review occurs in April, at which time the class will be filled. (A small number of applications will be held for possible use in filling vacancies that may occur during the summer.)"

Can anyone clarify, does SLS ever notify the folks being held for the second review once that decision has been made?
No. It's been referred to as a "soft hold" by people in this thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:35 pm

Excellent117 wrote:DLS :( it was fun while it lasted
Aw, sorry to hear it:( Definitely Stanford's loss. Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

Barca10

New

Post by Barca10 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:13 pm

I have a beautifully written LOCI reaffirming my endless love for Stanford ready to send out. I have been UR since early Feb and have not heard anything. Am I better off holding-on to the letter and sending it if/when I get WL'ed? It gets harder and harder to not send it with each passing day of silence.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Barca10 wrote:I have a beautifully written LOCI reaffirming my endless love for Stanford ready to send out. I have been UR since early Feb and have not heard anything. Am I better off holding-on to the letter and sending it if/when I get WL'ed? It gets harder and harder to not send it with each passing day of silence.
i sent a loci shortly after going under review and i was accepted. don't think it will hurt you if it's beautifully written:)

erikjc

Bronze

Post by erikjc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:19 pm

I sent a LOCI about a month ago to elaborate on an interesting activity I've been doing this semester. I think it adds another dimension to my application, but I didn't really have much room to talk about how I would love to go to Stanford. I was focusing more on selling myself and my interests rather than convincing them I want to go there (because I assume most people would have Stanford as one of their top choices). Now I'm worried that I didn't convince them I really want to go there. Problem?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chucky21

Bronze

Post by Chucky21 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Barca10 wrote:I have a beautifully written LOCI reaffirming my endless love for Stanford ready to send out. I have been UR since early Feb and have not heard anything. Am I better off holding-on to the letter and sending it if/when I get WL'ed? It gets harder and harder to not send it with each passing day of silence.
You may want to think about this though. Are you adding anything new to your application. Earlier in this thread it was discussed and it seemed like people thought that it wouldn't matter, but that you should definitely send one if, and only if, you have new information. A letter simply saying you love Stanford may seem a little bit redundant however, of course we all love Stanford and want an acceptance letter.

If the new info is work experience, then you may want to simply send in an updated resume (this is what I did), saving the loci should you be waitlisted to add more detail to your relevant experience and why it will help you contribute to the law school class.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:28 pm

erikjc wrote:I sent a LOCI about a month ago to elaborate on an interesting activity I've been doing this semester. I think it adds another dimension to my application, but I didn't really have much room to talk about how I would love to go to Stanford. I was focusing more on selling myself and my interests rather than convincing them I want to go there (because I assume most people would have Stanford as one of their top choices). Now I'm worried that I didn't convince them I really want to go there. Problem?
I think SLS will know u want to go there by virtue of its ranking and the effort u clearly put into the LOCI. Don't sweat it. Good luck!

Barca10

New

Post by Barca10 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
You may want to think about this though. Are you adding anything new to your application. Earlier in this thread it was discussed and it seemed like people thought that it wouldn't matter, but that you should definitely send one if, and only if, you have new information. A letter simply saying you love Stanford may seem a little bit redundant however, of course we all love Stanford and want an acceptance letter.

If the new info is work experience, then you may want to simply send in an updated resume (this is what I did), saving the loci should you be waitlisted to add more detail to your relevant experience and why it will help you contribute to the law school class.
I think I am going to send in an updated resume to make them aware of my updated position at work and save the complete letter if the WL does come.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Barca10 wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:

I think I am going to send in an updated resume to make them aware of my updated position at work and save the complete letter if the WL does come.
I think that's the right move.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

larsoner

Bronze

Post by larsoner » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:27 pm

So I checked LSN to see how many applicants got in after this date without being waitlisted. It was bleak only 3 and most of the rest were waitlisted; just a few were flat out rejected. However, for last year's lsn there is roughly 1 page of pending applications (people never updated their stats) and slightly less than one page of people who received a decision after 4/3/11. This year there are just slightly less than 3 pages of applicants who are still pending.

So if we make a series of unverifiable assumptions about the number of people on lsn remaining roughly constant, lsn users this year and last year representing roughly the same sample of the applicant pool, etc., we can conclude that Stanford is behind. So maybe more of us will get in than could be expected based on last year's?

I swear, I'm not usually this neurotic.

backwards54

Bronze

Post by backwards54 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:33 pm

admisionquestion wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:
JWilliamsIV wrote:I found out that I earned 3 more "A+"s and 1 "A" this past Winter quarter. I am a soft hold from October. Do you all think I have time to get these in for consideration? Should I bother?
what school do you go to? And yes.
Im serious what school gives out A+s and what school works on a quarter system. There cant be many... very odd.
In Quebec all universities do! Plus a couple in the US I think.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:51 pm

larsoner wrote:So I checked LSN to see how many applicants got in after this date without being waitlisted. It was bleak only 3 and most of the rest were waitlisted; just a few were flat out rejected. However, for last year's lsn there is roughly 1 page of pending applications (people never updated their stats) and slightly less than one page of people who received a decision after 4/3/11. This year there are just slightly less than 3 pages of applicants who are still pending.

So if we make a series of unverifiable assumptions about the number of people on lsn remaining roughly constant, lsn users this year and last year representing roughly the same sample of the applicant pool, etc., we can conclude that Stanford is behind. So maybe more of us will get in than could be expected based on last year's?

I swear, I'm not usually this neurotic.
Your assumptions are all fairly reasonable but pretty untenable. I think that the bottom line is that it is unreasonable to assume a school follows the same exact pattern every year. I am also pretty neurotic, and I went through the 2010, 2009 cycles, and you can see applicants making the same exact assumptions we are to decipher the admissions process. There is some consistency with dates and decisions, but the margin of error is better measured in weeks, not days.

So, relax. Obviously we all didn't make the first cut, so we are definitely already more likely to be rejected. At the same time, they saw something in our application they liked, so it isn't over yet,

klingonsrock

New

Post by klingonsrock » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:16 am

If we (soft-hold applicants) get in we should start a student club. It would be interesting to see how well we all do grading-wise given that we are all apparently neurotic and highly inquisitive. I'd just love to see us all succeed beyond the ad com's expectations.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

klingonsrock

New

Post by klingonsrock » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:19 am

backwards54 wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:
admisionquestion wrote:
JWilliamsIV wrote:I found out that I earned 3 more "A+"s and 1 "A" this past Winter quarter. I am a soft hold from October. Do you all think I have time to get these in for consideration? Should I bother?
what school do you go to? And yes.
Im serious what school gives out A+s and what school works on a quarter system. There cant be many... very odd.
The majority of University of California campuses do.... Oh yeah, and Stanford!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:40 am

klingonsrock wrote:If we (soft-hold applicants) get in we should start a student club. It would be interesting to see how well we all do grading-wise given that we are all apparently neurotic and highly inquisitive. I'd just love to see us all succeed beyond the ad com's expectations.
I don't think they think we would suck at law school. They just have the luxury of being able to take exactly who they want.

klingonsrock

New

Post by klingonsrock » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:48 am

Tom Joad wrote:
klingonsrock wrote:If we (soft-hold applicants) get in we should start a student club. It would be interesting to see how well we all do grading-wise given that we are all apparently neurotic and highly inquisitive. I'd just love to see us all succeed beyond the ad com's expectations.
I don't think they think we would suck at law school. They just have the luxury of being able to take exactly who they want.
Fair enough.

UGH my neurosis is hitting a fever pitch! I'm now obsessing about obsessing about Stanford!
lol...

FortunaGubernans

Bronze

Post by FortunaGubernans » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:45 am

Hey all,

I'm going to chime in here with a question that most of you will likely know the answer to. I just got the DLS notification ("just" being, perhaps, a relative term because I stopped checking daily because it was making me crazy). Does that necessarily mean I'm getting a "no" because they would call if I were in? Could it possibly mean waitlist, or would they call and/or email for a waitlist as well?

Thanks in advance to any who respond and best of luck to all still waiting to hear!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yepyepyep

Bronze

Post by yepyepyep » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:56 am

My heart beat every time I check the application status site:

Bumbum.....bumbum.....bumbum....bumbum...bumbum..bumbum..(click enter)..bumbum.bumbum.bumbum.bumbum.bumbumbumbumbababababababababababababa...
*exhale*

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:41 am

FortunaGubernans wrote:Hey all,

I'm going to chime in here with a question that most of you will likely know the answer to. I just got the DLS notification ("just" being, perhaps, a relative term because I stopped checking daily because it was making me crazy). Does that necessarily mean I'm getting a "no" because they would call if I were in? Could it possibly mean waitlist, or would they call and/or email for a waitlist as well?

Thanks in advance to any who respond and best of luck to all still waiting to hear!
I'm sorry to say this, but more than likely you have been rejected. I do not think waitlist notifications have gone out yet, and if one was accepted they would've received a call and/or an email.

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:10 am

Doorkeeper wrote:

I'm sorry to say this, but more than likely you have been rejected. I do not think waitlist notifications have gone out yet, and if one was accepted they would've received a call and/or an email.
No, people have started being waitlisted (see earlier in this thread and LSN). I'm not sure if they found out via mail or email, though. There's also speculation that for the moment it's only people who requested an expedited decision because of exploding scholarships at other schools, but that doesn't mean they won't start waitlisting others...

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:16 am

sailboat wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

No, people have started being waitlisted (see earlier in this thread and LSN). I'm not sure if they found out via mail or email, though. There's also speculation that for the moment it's only people who requested an expedited decision because of exploding scholarships at other schools, but that doesn't mean they won't start waitlisting others...
Right. Zelda got WL, but he asked because of the Ruby deadline. Looking back on LSN, WLs start going out 4/6-4/8, so I guess there's a chance. Do we know if WL people get email notification? I would assume that they do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”