Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EMZE

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:38 pm

welkertexasranger wrote:There was plenty of Columbia bashing at NYU by students, professors and administrators, which was really too bad because otherwise I liked the school.

Oh, and DLS just now :shock: . Just need a ding from H now.

Sorry to hear that. You know the next question...

When did you submit?

bogm2012

Postby bogm2012 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Geneva wrote:
Perdevise wrote:
kindaklueless wrote:Half the people I met at Columbia last week seemed to be waiting on Stanford and Harvard.

Thats funny. At NYU's ASD, no one mentioned HYS (some talked about Columbia).

A couple people at Mich's ASDasked about HYS (I think a couple ppl others had been admitted to stanford and at least one person to harvard). The school basically refused to say that HYS was better and some answers even implied that MICH is better. E.g. "For clerkships/a career in academia, Mich is better than Harvard. Also Harvard kids are really hurting for jobs bc of their class size" "Stanford isn't as interdisciplinary as Mich, people are more competitive, and the quality of profs for rec letters is often inferior bc so many ppl commute."
Even if these statements are partial truths (why I mostly, but not entirely doubt), it was really offputting to hear faculty/admin bash other schools. Is this kinda stuff common? I haven't been to many ASDs, but at least BU was honest. "If you want a career in academia, this is not the place to come." At least my disappointment in Mich really narrows down my decision...

Depressingly common. It's sort of the exception for them not to do it. Even at NYU, where (as I said) the students seemed really proud of and secure in their options, a few professors attacked HYS (and especially CLS) for various reasons and without being solicited for negatives about them.

When I get asked which other schools I'm considering by 1-3Ls, professors or admissions people I politely but plainly refuse to answer. I know the best aspects of all of the schools I'm considering, and I go to these events to learn more about the particular school I'm visiting. If I want to hear why school X sucks, I can find a surfeit of information on TLS or xoxohth. If a school cannot stand on its own merits or would rather spend precious time bashing others, it does them more of a disservice in my eyes than anything else.

welkertexasranger

Postby welkertexasranger » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:45 pm

EMZE wrote:
welkertexasranger wrote:There was plenty of Columbia bashing at NYU by students, professors and administrators, which was really too bad because otherwise I liked the school.

Sorry to hear that. You know the next question...

When did you submit?

Was a late submitter overall because of December LSAT. Thought I had almost no chance at S because of my GPA, Went back and forth between spending the $100 and having to deal with dean's cert, ultimately applied 1/31 and went complete 2/17.

yepyepyep

Postby yepyepyep » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Geneva wrote:
EMZE wrote:
Aspen wrote:Anyone else in Berkeley and deciding between going to Berkeley or Stanford (if they get in)? Berkeley Law has been my dream school for a long time but Stanford is the 2nd best law school in the country....

Berk/Stanford are the schools I like best out of those to which I have been admitted. However, will be really hard to turn down SLS unless I get $0 or insane cash at Berkeley. I'm 95% sure I'll be at SLS unless I get a miraculous Yale acceptance. What are you thinking atm? Also, major CONGRATS on SLS (if you are in). If not, gooooood luck!

EMZE wrote:
amc987 wrote:
EMZE wrote:Same boat, with an HLS decision pending as well.
Did I mention I submitted all my apps in October?

This is actually the story of my life. Sigh.

There's actually a good number of us that fit into this category..

I am also pending at CLS, but would probably choose Berk anyway.

Just out of curiosity, why do you all like Berkeley over NYU/Columbia/Stanford? Haven't visited yet, but just wondering.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Perdevise wrote:
kindaklueless wrote:Half the people I met at Columbia last week seemed to be waiting on Stanford and Harvard.

Really?

It seemed like with most people I interacted with, Stanford holding them made its way into the conversation within two or three minutes.

aekea

Postby aekea » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:57 pm

bogm2012 wrote:
Geneva wrote:A couple people at Mich's ASDasked about HYS (I think a couple ppl others had been admitted to stanford and at least one person to harvard). The school basically refused to say that HYS was better and some answers even implied that MICH is better. E.g. "For clerkships/a career in academia, Mich is better than Harvard. Also Harvard kids are really hurting for jobs bc of their class size" "Stanford isn't as interdisciplinary as Mich, people are more competitive, and the quality of profs for rec letters is often inferior bc so many ppl commute."
Even if these statements are partial truths (why I mostly, but not entirely doubt), it was really offputting to hear faculty/admin bash other schools. Is this kinda stuff common? I haven't been to many ASDs, but at least BU was honest. "If you want a career in academia, this is not the place to come." At least my disappointment in Mich really narrows down my decision...

Depressingly common. It's sort of the exception for them not to do it. Even at NYU, where (as I said) the students seemed really proud of and secure in their options, a few professors attacked HYS (and especially CLS) for various reasons and without being solicited for negatives about them.

When I get asked which other schools I'm considering by 1-3Ls, professors or admissions people I politely but plainly refuse to answer. I know the best aspects of all of the schools I'm considering, and I go to these events to learn more about the particular school I'm visiting. If I want to hear why school X sucks, I can find a surfeit of information on TLS or xoxohth. If a school cannot stand on its own merits or would rather spend precious time bashing others, it does them more of a disservice in my eyes than anything else.

Interesting. I had the opposite experience. The professors I talked to at Michigan gave me very honest and reasonable answers when asked to compare schools. One told me she thinks she would have enjoyed Michigan better, but that she wouldn't have given up Yale because of the opportunities she had there. Two told me they thought Michigan was a great place but that everyone needs to pick the school that's the best fit for them and what they want to do. I got the same sort of opinions, mostly, at NYU. At Columbia, however, several people seemed very dismissive of any school that was not Columbia. One professor said, when a student admitted he was choosing between Columbia and Yale, well would you rather live in NYC or New Haven? I think there are going to be people like that at every school, really. It is quite unflattering though. I wonder if the people who say those things realize they're hurting, rather than helping, their school?

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:02 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
Perdevise wrote:

Really?

It seemed like with most people I interacted with, Stanford holding them made its way into the conversation within two or three minutes.

Well, different samples, I guess. My bad for totalizing.

Edit: I hope I wound up meeting you, FryBreadPower, at the ASD.
Last edited by Perdevise on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:09 pm

How about we just get some phone calls out there...

ddalton22

Postby ddalton22 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Aspen wrote:Anyone else in Berkeley and deciding between going to Berkeley or Stanford (if they get in)? Berkeley Law has been my dream school for a long time but Stanford is the 2nd best law school in the country....

Same here except also held at Hls as of 3/23

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:17 pm

aekea wrote:
bogm2012 wrote:
Geneva wrote:A couple people at Mich's ASDasked about HYS (I think a couple ppl others had been admitted to stanford and at least one person to harvard). The school basically refused to say that HYS was better and some answers even implied that MICH is better. E.g. "For clerkships/a career in academia, Mich is better than Harvard. Also Harvard kids are really hurting for jobs bc of their class size" "Stanford isn't as interdisciplinary as Mich, people are more competitive, and the quality of profs for rec letters is often inferior bc so many ppl commute."

Interesting. I had the opposite experience. The professors I talked to at Michigan gave me very honest and reasonable answers when asked to compare schools. One told me she thinks she would have enjoyed Michigan better, but that she wouldn't have given up Yale because of the opportunities she had there. Two told me they thought Michigan was a great place but that everyone needs to pick the school that's the best fit for them and what they want to do. I got the same sort of opinions, mostly, at NYU. At Columbia, however, several people seemed very dismissive of any school that was not Columbia. One professor said, when a student admitted he was choosing between Columbia and Yale, well would you rather live in NYC or New Haven? I think there are going to be people like that at every school, really. It is quite unflattering though. I wonder if the people who say those things realize they're hurting, rather than helping, their school?

Interesting! TBF, most of the comments I listed were from 2 profs and one alumnus, so it was unfair of me to label their opinion as "the school" or to assume that I had a representative sample. I didn't hear comments either way from the rest of the faculty, but I'm glad to hear that the situation is more balanced. In other news, you may want to check out teh blog post written by Paul Campos about his alma mater (Michigan). "Graduates who accept are then counted as employed full-time for the purposes of the nine-month NALP data. I was told that around 15% of the 2010 class had such fellowships, while closer to 20% of the 2011 class had accepted them." http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/
Sorry to derail the SLS thread, everyone! People trying to decide bt SLS and other schools might want to check out Campos blog, which raises a lot of interesting issues.

JF215

Postby JF215 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:17 pm

welkertexasranger wrote:
There was plenty of Columbia bashing at NYU by students, professors and administrators, which was really too bad because otherwise I liked the school.

I noticed this too. Good luck.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:20 pm

JF215 wrote:
welkertexasranger wrote:
There was plenty of Columbia bashing at NYU by students, professors and administrators, which was really too bad because otherwise I liked the school.

I noticed this too. Good luck.

Aw, hopefully it's at least a waitlist? This process is such a roller coaster. GOOD LUCK!!!

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:25 pm

yepyepyep wrote:Just out of curiosity, why do you all like Berkeley over NYU/Columbia/Stanford? Haven't visited yet, but just wondering.

My reasons are pretty simple. The GI bill pays 100% in state tuition for public schools, and 17.5k for private schools. Some schools also contribute, and HLS and SLS contribute 20k and 10.5k respectively. Columbia contributes 3k, so the debt at SLS/HLS/Berk is almost zero, while CLS would be, based on the tuition/COLA estimtes, around 150k.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:29 pm

EMZE wrote:
yepyepyep wrote:Just out of curiosity, why do you all like Berkeley over NYU/Columbia/Stanford? Haven't visited yet, but just wondering.

My reasons are pretty simple. The GI bill pays 100% in state tuition for public schools, and 17.5k for private schools. Some schools also contribute, and HLS and SLS contribute 20k and 10.5k respectively. Columbia contributes 3k, so the debt at SLS/HLS/Berk is almost zero, while CLS would be, based on the tuition/COLA estimtes, around 150k.

Ohh, are you in? Congrats!

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Geneva wrote:
EMZE wrote:

Ohh, are you in? Congrats!

Just at Berk. Still waiting on the HLS/SLS. Then I can make a decision.

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:40 pm

yepyepyep wrote:
Geneva wrote:
EMZE wrote:

Berk/Stanford are the schools I like best out of those to which I have been admitted. However, will be really hard to turn down SLS unless I get $0 or insane cash at Berkeley. I'm 95% sure I'll be at SLS unless I get a miraculous Yale acceptance. What are you thinking atm? Also, major CONGRATS on SLS (if you are in). If not, gooooood luck!

EMZE wrote:
amc987 wrote:
EMZE wrote:Same boat, with an HLS decision pending as well.
Did I mention I submitted all my apps in October?

This is actually the story of my life. Sigh.

There's actually a good number of us that fit into this category..

I am also pending at CLS, but would probably choose Berk anyway.

Just out of curiosity, why do you all like Berkeley over NYU/Columbia/Stanford? Haven't visited yet, but just wondering.

I went to a kinda smaller and pretty undiverse/snooty private school for undergrad. Berkeley is basically the exact opposite of all of that. Also, I've heard from a lot of Californians who ended up going to Stanford vs. UCLA or Cal for undergrad that they were always superrrrr jealous of their peers because while their school was academically better it was way less "vibrant." I think Berkeley is definitely a very solid choice for people like me who are 100% certain they want to stay in California. I'm not trashing Stanford and would be SO happy if I got in but I'm just sharing why Berkeley vs Stanford isn't a super easy decision.

santaclara12

Postby santaclara12 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:09 pm

any accepts/denies today?

Barca10

Postby Barca10 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Every day that passes without any movement, I get sadder and sadder. :(

Parmenides

Postby Parmenides » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:12 pm

I know that answer is buried in here somewhere, but I'd be much obliged if someone could tell me what the best way to send new/additional information to Stanford is.

erikjc

Postby erikjc » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Parmenides wrote:I know that answer is buried in here somewhere, but I'd be much obliged if someone could tell me what the best way to send new/additional information to Stanford is.

Email. They usually respond within a day to confirm they received it.

kindaklueless

Postby kindaklueless » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:46 pm

According to LSN, people have started getting waitlisted. WAH!

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Zelda is on tls he/she needs to report here ASAP lol. But he/she might be one of those who told the office they had to make a school deadline this week.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:59 pm

sharktankdean wrote:Zelda is on tls he/she needs to report here ASAP lol. But he/she might be one of those who told the office they had to make a school deadline this week.

Yeah Zelda, GTFIH.

Zelda

Postby Zelda » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Sorry! I had a Rubenstein deadline for today, so I contacted the office last week asking to get a decision by today if at all possible. Another accepted student at Chicago did the same thing and was waitlisted on Friday.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Zelda wrote:Sorry! I had a Rubenstein deadline for today, so I contacted the office last week asking to get a decision by today if at all possible. Another accepted student at Chicago did the same thing and was waitlisted on Friday.

Thanks. I guessed that's why we heard an early wait list. I think Dean Asha was right. I'm not sure telling a school you have to meet a deadline is a good idea. But these schools put us in those positions.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”