Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Doorkeeper

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:54 pm

Shooter wrote:Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been covered already, but I haven't had time to follow this thread as closely as perhaps I should have.

What is the situation with LOCI's? Is it a good idea for people that haven't heard back for about 3 months to send one in? Should I wait until I get officially waitlisted?

When you do send it, did you write the LOCI into the text of e-mail or attach it as a document/pdf?

Thanks everyone - best of luck to all of you!

Decisions will be coming soon. Probably anywhere between 1-3 weeks. I would hold off on the LOCI for if you get waitlisted.

At this point, what are you going to add in the WL LOCI if you send one now?

Also, you email it.

Photog

Postby Photog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:02 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I'm finally starting to get a bit stir crazy. There are only so many times I can log into the status checker and see "Your file has been submitted for review. 11/03/12".

I was just starting to be ok until everyone and their mother decided to send a LOCI. I am caught between sending and not sending which has left me in a state of indecision.

If it's any help, I decided not to send one. I have nothing new to add in the way of honors/awards/promotions/etc., and I don't think it is exactly newsworthy that I'm still extremely interested in one of the three finest law schools.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:04 pm

Unless you have something significant to add, I'd hold off on a LOCI until you hear back.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:26 pm

I have a new honor/award at work as well as an additional job in an area that is relevant to my application/interests.

It's nothing earth-shattering, but I do think it is significant enough to let them know.

Perhaps I should wait for the WL and then send it?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:35 pm

Shooter wrote:I have a new honor/award at work as well as an additional job in an area that is relevant to my application/interests.

It's nothing earth-shattering, but I do think it is significant enough to let them know.

Just be a straight shooter and it will all work out.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Shooter wrote:I have a new honor/award at work as well as an additional job in an area that is relevant to my application/interests.

Just be a straight shooter and it will all work out.

:)

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:51 pm

I have some new work experience. I sent in an updated resume and they added it to my file. I figure if I'm waitlisted I can talk about it more in detail in an LOCI.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Chucky21 wrote:

I have some new work experience. I sent in an updated resume and they added it to my file. I figure if I'm waitlisted I can talk about it more in detail in an LOCI.

Yea, I think this is the way to go about it, Shooter.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:16 am

Crazy morning speculation time...

I speculate that Stanford is being so slow with decisions relative to last year (even though there is no obvious reason for that), because of the Harvard lag. I postulate that S is waiting to get a better sense of what happens with all the cross applicants, many of whom would likely choose H over S.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 am

hypothalamus wrote:Crazy morning speculation time...

I speculate that Stanford is being so slow with decisions relative to last year (even though there is no obvious reason for that), because of the Harvard lag. I postulate that S is waiting to get a better sense of what happens with all the cross applicants, many of whom would likely choose H over S.

Not to crush your morning speculation, but I'm pretty sure Stanford seems right on schedule comparative to last year. They're probably just about to finalize the remaining lucky few and preparing for the early to mid-April bloodbath.

Then again, I also haven't had my morning coffee yet so might be unusually pessimistic. :lol:

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 am

1) splitting hairs here, but does "submitted for review" at stanford="under review" at other schools?
2) when is stanford's asw?
3) does stanford accept emailed attachments?

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:26 am

Elendil wrote:Not to crush your morning speculation, but I'm pretty sure Stanford seems right on schedule comparative to last year. They're probably just about to finalize the remaining lucky few and preparing for the early to mid-April bloodbath.

Then again, I also haven't had my morning coffee yet so might be unusually pessimistic. :lol:

Hahah Elendil, dude, I had to give up coffee forever! I've thus been a pessimist for the last two weeks. :D

I must have missed the moment when we decided S is on track. I only remember people predicting a URM wave that never came and then no one has heard anything for weeks, so I thought the consensus was that they're late... Guess not. :D I just would have expected a large wave of rejections by now (if not acceptances, for obvious reasons).

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 am

Geneva wrote:1) splitting hairs here, but does "submitted for review" at stanford="under review" at other schools?
2) when is stanford's asw?
3) does stanford accept emailed attachments?

1) yes
2) what does it matter - no one's getting in
3) yes

sailboat

Postby sailboat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:32 am

Geneva wrote:1) splitting hairs here, but does "submitted for review" at stanford="under review" at other schools?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=162872&start=125

Geneva wrote:2) when is stanford's asw?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=174082

Geneva wrote:3) does stanford accept emailed attachments?

Scroll to the top of this page.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:39 am

thanks guys!

maxpower430

Postby maxpower430 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:44 am

Elendil wrote:

Not to crush your morning speculation, but I'm pretty sure Stanford seems right on schedule comparative to last year. They're probably just about to finalize the remaining lucky few and preparing for the early to mid-April bloodbath.

I thought there was talk earlier on this thread that cross-admits usually split 50-50ish between H and S? That said, they might have their gut feeling as to whom wouldn't matriculate if admitted and have mainly admitted the cross-admits they felt were more likely to attend, but that too is speculation.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:58 am

hypothalamus wrote:
Elendil wrote:Not to crush your morning speculation, but I'm pretty sure Stanford seems right on schedule comparative to last year. They're probably just about to finalize the remaining lucky few and preparing for the early to mid-April bloodbath.

Hahah Elendil, dude, I had to give up coffee forever! I've thus been a pessimist for the last two weeks. :D

I must have missed the moment when we decided S is on track. I only remember people predicting a URM wave that never came and then no one has heard anything for weeks, so I thought the consensus was that they're late... Guess not. :D I just would have expected a large wave of rejections by now (if not acceptances, for obvious reasons).

haha I don't think I could survive! I could be wrong, but I think our mysterious "URM wave" only came in the form of one or two people being accepted after a long wait in the first week of March. Not much of a wave, but that was around when it happened last year too.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Elendil wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:

haha I don't think I could survive! I could be wrong, but I think our mysterious "URM wave" only came in the form of one or two people being accepted after a long wait in the first week of March. Not much of a wave, but that was around when it happened last year too.

i saw that wave and thought it was the URM wave but most of them if not all submitted/went UR in late Jan...the urm wave last year was filled with 'soft holds'

i may be very very wrong but that's what i thought

bogm2012

Postby bogm2012 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:23 pm

maxpower430 wrote:
Elendil wrote:

I thought there was talk earlier on this thread that cross-admits usually split 50-50ish between H and S? That said, they might have their gut feeling as to whom wouldn't matriculate if admitted and have mainly admitted the cross-admits they felt were more likely to attend, but that too is speculation.

I proffered the 50-50 split, but that was sheer speculation/anecdotal observation. I don't think Stanford would risk losing out on some of the best applicants just because they might choose Harvard or Yale instead. Acceptance rate is a miniscule portion of the USNWR calculus, if they even really care about their ranking.

I think the likelier answer is that they are at a point where if yield rates hold they will end up close to their target class size. Any people they need to eventually subsidize that number (if any) would come from the soft hold group, but I doubt it will be a large number.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:39 pm

I understand that Dean Deal has a lot of files to go through especially since the class size is soo small. But with a drop in applicants and the other school deadlines coming up...i hoped that she would move a little bit faster...it going to be 3 weeks of no acceptances at the end of Thursday. I find is very hard to believe that she does not already have a group of acceptances after her re-review of the soft hold pile. In 3 weeks i'm sure she could have at least admitted 5-10 people.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:43 pm

sharktankdean wrote:I understand that Dean Deal has a lot of files to go through especially since the class size is soo small. But with a drop in applicants and the other school deadlines coming up...i hoped that she would move a little bit faster...it going to be 3 weeks of no acceptances at the end of Thursday. I find is very hard to believe that she does not already have a group of acceptances after her re-review of the soft hold pile. In 3 weeks i'm sure she could have at least admitted 5-10 people.

Who says those 5-10 people would be members of either LSN or TLS?

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Elendil wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:I understand that Dean Deal has a lot of files to go through especially since the class size is soo small. But with a drop in applicants and the other school deadlines coming up...i hoped that she would move a little bit faster...it going to be 3 weeks of no acceptances at the end of Thursday. I find is very hard to believe that she does not already have a group of acceptances after her re-review of the soft hold pile. In 3 weeks i'm sure she could have at least admitted 5-10 people.

Who says those 5-10 people would be members of either LSN or TLS?

No one does...but i am willing to bet that if she admitted 10 people today at least one of them would be on TLS...or someone on TLS would know one of those people.

txl

Postby txl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:48 pm

I still think the graph from the first post of this thread (reproduced below) is a pretty good indicator of this year's cycle. Sure, maybe there were a handful of admissions during the first few weeks of march last year, but other than that, it looks mostly like what we've experience this year. Still think the last wave comes in early april.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:55 pm

agree that last wave will probs be closer to early april, especially since this policy is explicitly stated on the sls status checker...

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Geneva wrote:agree that last wave will probs be closer to early april, especially since this policy is explicitly stated on the sls status checker...

True: "...some applications are held until the committee has reviewed the entire applicant pool. This second review occurs in April, at which time the class will be filled."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”