Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:16 pm

sharktankdean wrote:so over the weekend my younger cousin was listening to this sound...and as childish as it sounds...i couldn't help but think about Stanford...my life is a mess. this app cycle is def not helping me pick up any women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWAdb1vgoik

This is the second time this has been posted on TLS. Weird.

User avatar
Chucky21
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Does anyone know what percentage of SLS admits are also admitted at HLS and YLS? If so do you know what percentage chooses H and Y over S? With this in mind does the waitlist at SLS play a large role usually?

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:so over the weekend my younger cousin was listening to this sound...and as childish as it sounds...i couldn't help but think about Stanford...my life is a mess. this app cycle is def not helping me pick up any women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWAdb1vgoik

This is the second time this has been posted on TLS. Weird.


lol..i guess more people like me need to get out more

Photog
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:49 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Photog » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Geneva wrote:
Photog wrote:How did you guys go about stating your level of interest in SLS in your LOCI?

I don't want to lie and say that SLS is far and away my number one choice if that's not the case. I don't have a clear top choice. I strongly favor SLS and YLS over all others, but I couldn't make a pick before visiting them both...if I were somehow lucky enough for that to become an option.

Would it ultimately do more harm than good to say something along the lines of SLS being one of my top choices/most favored schools? That sounds presumptuous to my ears. But I also don't want to be insincere and proclaim SLS my clear top choice -- and I'm sure Dean Deal reads that line 50 times a day as it is. Thoughts on how folks generally handle this?


i had the same dilemma and opted to err on the side of caution and leave it out. i feel like sls is awesome enough that u don't really need to say it's #1 or make a comparative statement. good luck!


Sounds like a good approach. Thanks!

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Chucky21 wrote:Does anyone know what percentage of SLS admits are also admitted at HLS and YLS? If so do you know what percentage chooses H and Y over S? With this in mind does the waitlist at SLS play a large role usually?

From LSN, Stanford pulled 3 from the WL last year and 2 before that.

Remember that LSN isn't everyone...so I would say they use it a little. For comparison, Harvard accepts 13-16 people from LSN off the waitlist.

pbfoot
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby pbfoot » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:32 pm

just sent in the LOCI as well. applied early dec. so i'm guessing that they like my strong softs, despite my low numbers...didn't expect to make it this far in the cycle so just happy i'm still competitive.

bogm2012
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bogm2012 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Chucky21 wrote:Does anyone know what percentage of SLS admits are also admitted at HLS and YLS? If so do you know what percentage chooses H and Y over S? With this in mind does the waitlist at SLS play a large role usually?


There's probably a much higher cross admit rate between H and Y. Stanford has a really high GPA median and a somewhat low LSAT median. I think this leaves many Stanford people shut out of Y and H (who value GPA but also clearly value high[er] LSAT scores), so S is the "best" school they get into. This could explain Stanford's exceptionally high yield, and why they don't really need to rely on wait lists. This is all conjecture, so feel free to disregard.

As far as people who get into H/Y/S, I think the majority of them go to Y (Y probably dominates every cross-admit battle, even with H). Based on a whole bunch of people I met at HLS ASW, it seems like people who got into H and S (but not Y) were somewhat evenly decided.

Regardless, the use of the wait list is crudely a function of how well a school gauges its yield in a given year and how precise they want/need their class size to be. If 90% of people who get into Stanford choose Harvard or Yale (or a Ruby/RTK/Hamilton/Cooley, etc.), we can say that that is an objectively huge percentage, but if they planned their class to the 90% figure (or 95%, for example), then we wouldn't necessarily see much movement from the wait list.

slsorhls
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby slsorhls » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Woo, another example of stanford bias on tls. Their yield rate is 47%. Hls is 67%, for comparison. You're grossly overstating.

bogm2012
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bogm2012 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:35 pm

slsorhls wrote:Woo, another example of stanford bias on tls. Their yield rate is 47%. Hls is 67%, for comparison. You're grossly overstating.


Stanford bias? Care to explain? I am almost certainly going to Harvard.

Grossly overstating? What exactly did I grossly overstate?

User avatar
yankees42789
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yankees42789 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 pm

slsorhls wrote:Woo, another example of stanford bias on tls. Their yield rate is 47%. Hls is 67%, for comparison. You're grossly overstating.


Yeah, but because of HLS's size, there are more people who get into only H out of YHS than there are people who only get into S out of YHS, thereby inflating H's yield rate relative to S's. Based on the LSN data-mining I've done, it seems like HS cross-admits split very close to 50-50.

I do think Stanford's GPA emphasis is a little overstated around here given that their GPA numbers are pretty similar to Harvard's. The big difference, I guess is that S is more inclined to take a 169/4 whereas H would prefer a 174/3.8, but I don't think there is any real evidence that there are (proportionally) more YH cross-admits than YS cross-admits.

Don't think there was any Stanford trolling here, though. I don't see how yield rate has anything to do with how good a school is. Anywho, this kind of speculation/debate isn't really my thing, so carry on...

lawschoolquestions57
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lawschoolquestions57 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Ok, so sorry for hijacking the conversation, and I think this was already talked about (can't find it), but are any of you still waiting for Stanford but have a school that wants a confirmation of your acceptance (possibly before Stanford reaches you).

Sorry if I'm not making sense.

norcal_youngin
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby norcal_youngin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 pm

just got chicago money... can I use it to leverage an acceptance from Stanford via a LOCI?

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby soj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:04 pm

slsorhls wrote:Woo, another example of stanford bias on tls.

watchoutwegotabadassoverhere.jpg

Yield only measures how attractive a school is among admitted students. If you want to compare the relative attractiveness of two schools head-to-head, looking at overall yield is a shitty way to do it for reasons yankees mentioned. You'd have to assume the admit pools are similar in size (H's is way bigger) and quality (S's probably has more students with LSAT scores between 167-172).

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Geneva » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:04 pm

chances for: 1) Hispanic (but not Mexican) Female: 169/3.7
2) African American Female: 164/3.7
assuming average softs and all else equal.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby soj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Geneva wrote:chances for: 1) Hispanic (but not Mexican) Female: 169/3.7
2) African American Female: 164/3.7
assuming average softs and all else equal.

This looks like a thought experiment, so just go look at lawschoolnumbers.com.

ViennaGraben
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ViennaGraben » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:15 pm

lawschoolquestions57 wrote:Ok, so sorry for hijacking the conversation, and I think this was already talked about (can't find it), but are any of you still waiting for Stanford but have a school that wants a confirmation of your acceptance (possibly before Stanford reaches you).

Sorry if I'm not making sense.


Yep, I'm definitely facing this, with Stanford and a few other programs...

User avatar
Stig
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:00 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Stig » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:12 pm

yankees42789 wrote:
slsorhls wrote:Woo, another example of stanford bias on tls. Their yield rate is 47%. Hls is 67%, for comparison. You're grossly overstating.


Yeah, but because of HLS's size, there are more people who get into only H out of YHS than there are people who only get into S out of YHS, thereby inflating H's yield rate relative to S's. Based on the LSN data-mining I've done, it seems like HS cross-admits split very close to 50-50.

I do think Stanford's GPA emphasis is a little overstated around here given that their GPA numbers are pretty similar to Harvard's. The big difference, I guess is that S is more inclined to take a 169/4 whereas H would prefer a 174/3.8, but I don't think there is any real evidence that there are (proportionally) more YH cross-admits than YS cross-admits.

Don't think there was any Stanford trolling here, though. I don't see how yield rate has anything to do with how good a school is. Anywho, this kind of speculation/debate isn't really my thing, so carry on...


What are you all debating here? Just got to the school you like within HYS. People chose each of those schools for different reasons; there is no point trying to figure out why you should go to school based off these numbers.

You'll realize once you get to law school is that none of this matters.

User avatar
yankees42789
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yankees42789 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Stig wrote:
yankees42789 wrote:
slsorhls wrote:Woo, another example of stanford bias on tls. Their yield rate is 47%. Hls is 67%, for comparison. You're grossly overstating.


Yeah, but because of HLS's size, there are more people who get into only H out of YHS than there are people who only get into S out of YHS, thereby inflating H's yield rate relative to S's. Based on the LSN data-mining I've done, it seems like HS cross-admits split very close to 50-50.

I do think Stanford's GPA emphasis is a little overstated around here given that their GPA numbers are pretty similar to Harvard's. The big difference, I guess is that S is more inclined to take a 169/4 whereas H would prefer a 174/3.8, but I don't think there is any real evidence that there are (proportionally) more YH cross-admits than YS cross-admits.

Don't think there was any Stanford trolling here, though. I don't see how yield rate has anything to do with how good a school is. Anywho, this kind of speculation/debate isn't really my thing, so carry on...


What are you all debating here? Just got to the school you like within HYS. People chose each of those schools for different reasons; there is no point trying to figure out why you should go to school based off these numbers.

You'll realize once you get to law school is that none of this matters.



Yes, I agree. That's what I was trying to say/imply in the last sentence of my post. When deciding between schools of this caliber, it's like splitting hairs and there's no right or wrong decisions, only personal feelings about what's best for you. As an applicant, it's so easy to get caught up in this stuff (and I'm definitely guilty of that at times), but at the end of the day, you're right, it doesn't really matter what the numbers are.

User avatar
Stig
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:00 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Stig » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:36 pm

yankees42789 wrote:
Yes, I agree. That's what I was trying to say/imply in the last sentence of my post. When deciding between schools of this caliber, it's like splitting hairs and there's no right or wrong decisions, only personal feelings about what's best for you. As an applicant, it's so easy to get caught up in this stuff (and I'm definitely guilty of that at times), but at the end of the day, you're right, it doesn't really matter what the numbers are.



YES!

Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:25 pm

I fail at life.

User avatar
larsoner
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby larsoner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Also, assuming this SLS rollercoaster ride doesn't work out, where are other people planning on going? UVA here.


Chicago, unless someone else gives me some good money.

Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:03 pm

larsoner wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Also, assuming this SLS rollercoaster ride doesn't work out, where are other people planning on going? UVA here.


Chicago, unless someone else gives me some good money.


NYU, unless my need based aid situation is magically resolved within the next 10 business days.

slsorhls
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby slsorhls » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:06 pm

larsoner wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Also, assuming this SLS rollercoaster ride doesn't work out, where are other people planning on going? UVA here.


Chicago, unless someone else gives me some good money.


NYU, unless my need based aid situation is magically resolved within the next 10 business days.


What about HLS?

Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:10 pm

slsorhls wrote:
larsoner wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Also, assuming this SLS rollercoaster ride doesn't work out, where are other people planning on going? UVA here.


Chicago, unless someone else gives me some good money.


NYU, unless my need based aid situation is magically resolved within the next 10 business days.


What about HLS?


Not holding my breath because no JS1.

azgirl514
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:39 am

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby azgirl514 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:39 am

larsoner wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Also, assuming this SLS rollercoaster ride doesn't work out, where are other people planning on going? UVA here.


Boalt, baby! I would absolutely be over the moon if I got Stanford, but honestly both of them were tied for my top choice going into my cycle. Geographical region is kinda important for me.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BodieBroadus, Gaaooo, Maaza, mdu, rationalhound, samsamthomas and 14 guests