Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Eichörnchen

Silver

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:00 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Started filling out the app but ran into a problem: SLS wants you to list the name of the individual who completed the Dean's Cert. I guess I have to call my university later and acquire that name.
Good to know. I haven't done my Dean's Cert yet, and I am nervous because my UG is incompetent with stuff like this.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 am

It just asks who you asked to complete it, so I put the Dean of Students.

The education section still won't save my PhD permanently, just like with the Chicago app.

This one has employment, and it also only saves up to 4 entries and deletes the rest. Very frustrating!

I am not sure it matters too much. Hopefully, they'll look at my resume anyhow and see the PhD. My current job is mentioned in my PS so they will presumably look that up as well. I'll have to call again tomorrow if the Sept 1st update doesn't correct the problem. If LSAC still doesn't get the problem, I'll just submit and hope for the best. I can't be the only one who has 5 schools to list. Its because I have: high school CC credits, my undergrad, transfer credits from another undergrad through study abroad, a master's and a PhD. A little odd maybe, but someone else must be in my boat right?

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:24 pm

How should Question 3 under the Employment section be different from the resume?

"List your extracurricular, community, or other activities in the order of their importance to you. Give a brief description of your involvement, including any special responsibilities or leadership positions held."

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:16 pm

LaCumparsita wrote:How should Question 3 under the Employment section be different from the resume?

"List your extracurricular, community, or other activities in the order of their importance to you. Give a brief description of your involvement, including any special responsibilities or leadership positions held."
In the first I put purely awards and scholarships - for example, in the first I put: Academic All-American

Then in the second, I put actual activities like: Co-Captain of a Division 1 Team

I also put any volunteer stuff I did there. Like if you read books to the elderly or something, it would go in that section, not in the awards section.

ETA: Oh wait, I misread your question. Both of the section I am talking about are actually basically just taken from the resume. I'm not sure why they have them, other than fearing that people might not include them in the resume itself. I put them in the boxes and left them on my resume too.

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Stanford's Website says this:

"
Transcripts showing any coursework of less than one year completed at another institution (including but not limited to, community college, study abroad, consortium, exchange program, or language courses) and which are not clearly indicated on the home transcript must be sent directly to Stanford Law School."

My study abroad grades (not needed by LSAC) were counted as transfer credits by my UG, but I don't know if they are "clearly indicated" on my transcript. Does anyone have any experience with this or if they will ask for it? I know the answer is probably to have it sent just in case, but I have a feeling that's going to be a circus to get...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:35 pm

It's been over three weeks since I sent my UG the dean's cert. Today I called to check up on their progress.

"Didn't read lol. Wait two more weeks"

:evil:

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:38 pm

annyong wrote:Stanford's Website says this:

"
Transcripts showing any coursework of less than one year completed at another institution (including but not limited to, community college, study abroad, consortium, exchange program, or language courses) and which are not clearly indicated on the home transcript must be sent directly to Stanford Law School."

My study abroad grades (not needed by LSAC) were counted as transfer credits by my UG, but I don't know if they are "clearly indicated" on my transcript. Does anyone have any experience with this or if they will ask for it? I know the answer is probably to have it sent just in case, but I have a feeling that's going to be a circus to get...
Send in your UG transcript. Once the process it, they will tell you if they need more.

In my case, I had to get a transcript from another US uni that had run the study abroad program. I don't think they usually require foreign transcripts unless you got a degree or studied over a year.

I studied in a summer program through another US uni - had to get a transcript from the US uni. LSAC told me so once they processed my UG transcript. It will come out as an "unreported transcript" or something and tell you to request one

I studied abroad again the last semester of my senior year through my own uni - no additional transcript required.

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Where would I attach an addendum explaining an increase in LSAT score? I don't see a place to add it.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:58 pm

soj wrote:It's been over three weeks since I sent my UG the dean's cert. Today I called to check up on their progress.

"Didn't read lol. Wait two more weeks"

:evil:
:evil: Bummer. I should do mine now...I'm scared that my UG will say I'm not in good standing because of their dumbassery and policy changes that also affected my ability to get transcripts. I very scared.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:06 pm

LaCumparsita wrote:Where would I attach an addendum explaining an increase in LSAT score? I don't see a place to add it.
I needed to attach an addendum explaining time off during a degree for work - I just attached it in the diversity statement section. It doesn't actually put diversity statement on it or anything, just allows a place to upload additional material.

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Hmmm do you think I can upload a diversity statement and an addendum? Haha thanks.

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:14 pm

MumofCad wrote: The education section still won't save my PhD permanently, just like with the Chicago app.
LSAC already had my PhD institution listed for both Chicago and Stanford. I didn't have to add any of that stuff. Have you sent transcripts for grad school?

edit: Maybe I misread the problem. Are the schools listed, but you can't update the fields like major, GPA, etc.? It seems like that has been working fine for me so far as well.

Perdevise

Bronze

Post by Perdevise » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:35 pm

"

I took a semester at one undergraduate school, then transferred and finished my degree at another. Do I have to send anything in? Stanford is already getting both sets of transcripts from LSAC, right? My degree granting school mentions my credits from the first school, but just states that I have 25 hours of advanced standing from it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:50 pm

MumofCad wrote:It just asks who you asked to complete it, so I put the Dean of Students.
Think that'd be sufficient? When I read that I assumed that they meant a full name.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:22 pm

kulshan wrote:
MumofCad wrote: The education section still won't save my PhD permanently, just like with the Chicago app.
LSAC already had my PhD institution listed for both Chicago and Stanford. I didn't have to add any of that stuff. Have you sent transcripts for grad school?

edit: Maybe I misread the problem. Are the schools listed, but you can't update the fields like major, GPA, etc.? It seems like that has been working fine for me so far as well.
Yes, I've sent all my grad transcripts in.

The problem is with the number of schools. If I delete an earlier one, it will keep my PhD, but it will only allow me to save 4 (it looks like I can save more, I go to the page upload them all, etc - all is fine. All 5 appear in blue, properly filled out at the top and I save the page. But when I preview the application, the 5th is cut out, and when I navigate back to the education page it is likewise gone from the blue list at the top, even though it was there when I saved the page). It seems to not allow me to delete what it considers to be undergrad-related work - So its got my CC, My undergrad institutions, and the school I did the program abroad through. Then I can either add my master's and PhD, but it deletes one after I leave the page every time on both Stanford's and Chicago's apps so its clearly an LSAC glitch of some sort.

It does the same thing with work experience. Strictly speaking I have about 10 things I could put in there since I worked alot as a TA and RA through school and also held down non-academic jobs, plus I'm 29. Argh.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:24 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
MumofCad wrote:It just asks who you asked to complete it, so I put the Dean of Students.
Think that'd be sufficient? When I read that I assumed that they meant a full name.
Oh, I googled his name and put Dean of Students XXXX XXXX. That's who they told me to send it to and that's who I sent it to. I have no way of knowing who actually is going to fill it out. And it doesn't say that anyhow, it says to write who you've asked.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:28 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Oh, I googled his name and put Dean of Students XXXX XXXX. That's who they told me to send it to and that's who I sent it to. I have no way of knowing who actually is going to fill it out. And it doesn't say that anyhow, it says to write who you've asked.
Oooh, alright. Fair enough. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Perdevise wrote:

"

I took a semester at one undergraduate school, then transferred and finished my degree at another. Do I have to send anything in? Stanford is already getting both sets of transcripts from LSAC, right? My degree granting school mentions my credits from the first school, but just states that I have 25 hours of advanced standing from it.
Yeah, if LSAC has it, then Stanford will get it. I think they are just asking for transcripts that LSAC may not want, but they do. I think clearly indicated means indicated at all - ie. LSAC will see them, pick up on them and request them.

I'm thinking this is for people that might have taken courses that they didn't use. I didn't realize I had a CC transcript from high school courses, but I used a few to get out of low level courses in undergrad so it showed up, something like "9 credit XXX Community College transfer" - So LSAC flagged it and made me send it in. If I hadn't have used those credits, I don't think LSAC would have known and Stanford would thus be requesting that I still send them the relevant transcript for their purposes. I suppose the same could have happened with a study abroad program, if you didn't transfer the credits to your current uni.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:34 pm

Tagged.

Retaking in December and hoping for a good score b/c of my lackluster GPA(although I have a very strong upward trend) by Stanford's standards.

Good luck all!

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:36 pm

MumofCad wrote: The problem is with the number of schools. If I delete an earlier one, it will keep my PhD, but it will only allow me to save 4 (it looks like I can save more, I go to the page upload them all, etc - all is fine. All 5 appear in blue, properly filled out at the top and I save the page. But when I preview the application, the 5th is cut out, and when I navigate back to the education page it is likewise gone from the blue list at the top, even though it was there when I saved the page). It seems to not allow me to delete what it considers to be undergrad-related work - So its got my CC, My undergrad institutions, and the school I did the program abroad through. Then I can either add my master's and PhD, but it deletes one after I leave the page every time on both Stanford's and Chicago's apps so its clearly an LSAC glitch of some sort.

It does the same thing with work experience. Strictly speaking I have about 10 things I could put in there since I worked alot as a TA and RA through school and also held down non-academic jobs, plus I'm 29. Argh.
I see, that's a shame. I just have three (a CC, one undergrad, and PhD), so that's probably why I'm not having issues. Good luck with that.

I'll have that same problem with work stuff, though. Resume to the rescue, I guess!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:55 pm

kulshan wrote:
I see, that's a shame. I just have three (a CC, one undergrad, and PhD), so that's probably why I'm not having issues. Good luck with that.

I'll have that same problem with work stuff, though. Resume to the rescue, I guess!
Yeah, I wish they just didn't have these sections and required a resume with the appropriate information. Automated redundancy is always problematic.

I called LSAC before about the Chicago issue and they said to hold tight until their re-launch tomorrow, which would correct all problems. I am going to do as instructed, despite the fact that the person at LSAC told me she didn't actually believe there was a problem.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:34 pm

MumofCad wrote:
kulshan wrote:

Yeah, I wish they just didn't have these sections and required a resume with the appropriate information. Automated redundancy is always problematic.

I called LSAC before about the Chicago issue and they said to hold tight until their re-launch tomorrow, which would correct all problems. I am going to do as instructed, despite the fact that the person at LSAC told me she didn't actually believe there was a problem.

I have a similar problem. It would allow me to fill in the info for my fourth school, but would not save the details: GPA, degree; attendance dates, etc... Thought it was just on my end. Let me know if your problem ever gets fixed.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:39 am

NOTE: Transmission of electronic applications to this law school will begin on 9/15/2011. Please return to this page at that time to transmit your application.

This looks like a common theme. I guess we won't be sending off any of our apps until mid-Sept.

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:42 pm

I was looking for a spot to include a separate addendum, and there doesn't seem to be one. Is this another problem with the LSAC app system or does Stanford specifically not want any additional addenda?

While looking through the website and instructions, there isn't any mention of providing any explanations for GPA or LSAT issues so maybe they do not want it?

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 am

Bump. Same question. Although it seems to me that we can attach it under the "Diversity Statement" section.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”