Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FryBreadPower

Silver

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by FryBreadPower » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
Whisper wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:Only Berkeley students think Stanford and Berkeley are rivals.

ETA: I say this as a California native who didn't get into Stanford UG but knew a good number of students at both schools.
Oh you're funny. I wont entertain your remark by engaging you in coversation but thanks for the laugh.
I mean, it's true. One thing all Stanford and Berkeley students have in common is that they all got into Berkeley. It's not like this is a groundbreaking thing to suggest. And I say this as someone denied admission at Stanford UG (and admitted at Cal), so it isn't like I have a personal agenda here.

Like I said, I knew a good number of students at each school, and in my experience Stanford kids don't really get worked up over Cal; it's inferiority complex-ridden Cal kids who are the ones talking about the alleged "rivalry" between them.

ETA: Football rivals maybe, but even that hasn't been the case so much in recent years.
Do you/did you go to Berkeley? Stanford? Seems a bit odd to be commenting on it based on a few interactions...

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm pretty sure that the rivalry comes from sports, rather than from an academic inferiority complex.

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:01 am

Just thought I would provide a summary of blog posts that I made while trying to decide whether it was beneficial or not to send a LOCI without any substantial updates...

January 12, 2011
Advice from a 1L student on the blog:
"I did not send in a revised resumé nor did I try to redesign my letters of recommendations. And I definitely did not take the February LSAT. And things worked out pretty well."

May 10, 2010
In reference to applicants on the WAITLIST:
"Send in a letter of continued interest. Think carefully about this one. Sometimes applicants remain on the waitlist just for the heck of it. Why? They want to see if they’ll eventually get in – I guess it’s some sort of badge of honor. But, what if SLS is your first choice and you really want the opportunity? Let me hear from you and – this is important – remember that sincerity matters. Stay in touch with me. Don’t email me daily. Don’t call me daily. Don’t clutter up my in-box or my voicemail box. But, do let me know you remain interested as the summer progresses."

February 12, 2010
More "sound advice" from a 1L student, posted by Dean Deal:
"Unless you have something critical to get in-more grades, news about that Rhodes Scholarship-there is not really not much more to do with regards to applications."

January 8, 2010
Dean Deal directly gives advice on what you can do as a "waiting" applicant:
"As an applicant, what can you do if you’ve not yet heard from us regarding a decision? This would be an excellent opportunity to get us more information. If your fall grades are now available, get an updated transcript to LSAC so that our records are updated. If you’ve received any new honors or awards, send us details on that. If you’ve started a new job or taken on new responsibilities at your current job, let us know. Approach this as an opportunity to further your case – if there is something that could affect or impact our review of your application, get that information to us. Email is the quickest and most efficient way to accomplish this."

Overall, it looks like a mixed bag of commentary on the subject. But the most important point that most of these posts hinted at was "stop worrying about it" -- it won't drastically affect your chances either way. Just thought I would share since I already did all of the digging. :wink:

steelers2012

New

Post by steelers2012 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:40 am

FryBreadPower wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:
Whisper wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:Only Berkeley students think Stanford and Berkeley are rivals.

ETA: I say this as a California native who didn't get into Stanford UG but knew a good number of students at both schools.
Oh you're funny. I wont entertain your remark by engaging you in coversation but thanks for the laugh.
I mean, it's true. One thing all Stanford and Berkeley students have in common is that they all got into Berkeley. It's not like this is a groundbreaking thing to suggest. And I say this as someone denied admission at Stanford UG (and admitted at Cal), so it isn't like I have a personal agenda here.

Like I said, I knew a good number of students at each school, and in my experience Stanford kids don't really get worked up over Cal; it's inferiority complex-ridden Cal kids who are the ones talking about the alleged "rivalry" between them.

ETA: Football rivals maybe, but even that hasn't been the case so much in recent years.
Do you/did you go to Berkeley? Stanford? Seems a bit odd to be commenting on it based on a few interactions...
I was a berkeley undergrad and this inferiority complex thing doesn't exist in everyday life. The only time I really got a sense of rivalry between cal and stanford was school spirit type rivalry events or sports (akin to high school). The interpretation that students that go to berkeley inherently bear some resentment at or inferiority complex towards stanford seems a bit of an overgeneralization that doesn't ring true in my experiences. As a Cal student I personally was grateful for being a part of such a vibrant community but I also respect that Stanford is a great school as well. Don't understand why it's either/or...

MichelFoucault

Bronze

Post by MichelFoucault » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:58 am

Can anyone remind me when Stanford's ASW is?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:01 pm

MichelFoucault wrote:Can anyone remind me when Stanford's ASW is?
April 20-22, I think. Would be nice if they'd give us a little bit of notice to buy plane tickets (or not)...

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:57 pm

splbagel wrote:
MichelFoucault wrote:Can anyone remind me when Stanford's ASW is?
April 20-22, I think. Would be nice if they'd give us a little bit of notice to buy plane tickets (or not)...
Seconded... I feel foolish for keeping that weekend open, but maybe, juuuust maybe...

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Dear Dean Deal,

Put my number in your phone...and when you get a chance call me up. Girl stop playing, put my number in your phone.

aptorres

New

Post by aptorres » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Someone earlier stated that if you are admitted, the status checker says "A decision letter has been sent." Is this true? And would it also say this if you are rejected?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:44 pm

aptorres wrote:Someone earlier stated that if you are admitted, the status checker says "A decision letter has been sent." Is this true? And would it also say this if you are rejected?
It says it regardless of whether you're admitted or rejected. If you're admitted, it's accompanied by a phone call.

aptorres

New

Post by aptorres » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Elendil wrote:
aptorres wrote:Someone earlier stated that if you are admitted, the status checker says "A decision letter has been sent." Is this true? And would it also say this if you are rejected?
It says it regardless of whether you're admitted or rejected. If you're admitted, it's accompanied by a phone call.

Thanks! Any idea whether the school's policy is to leave voicemails? Or, if they are unable to reach you do they just not leave a message and try again some other time (or don't try again at all)?

ViennaGraben

New

Post by ViennaGraben » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Elendil wrote:
aptorres, did your status checker change?? MOVEMENT?!

aptorres

New

Post by aptorres » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 pm

ViennaGraben wrote:
Elendil wrote:
Yes, it just changed this morning.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:50 pm

Eeek, movement.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:50 pm

aptorres wrote:
Elendil wrote:

Thanks! Any idea whether the school's policy is to leave voicemails? Or, if they are unable to reach you do they just not leave a message and try again some other time (or don't try again at all)?
I've heard that they leave voicemails.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:51 pm

And the beast awakens from its slumber to rain fire and brimstone amongst the hopeful...

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:52 pm

aptorres wrote:
ViennaGraben wrote:
Elendil wrote:
Yes, it just changed this morning.
When did you go complete if you don't mind?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:And the beast awakens from its slumber to rain fire and brimstone amongst the hopeful...
Panics and checks status checker. Still safe. For now. :shock:

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Elendil wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:And the beast awakens from its slumber to rain fire and brimstone amongst the hopeful...
+1....

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:59 pm

splbagel wrote:
Elendil wrote:
+1....

curiouscat

Bronze

Post by curiouscat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Elendil wrote:
same here...

aptorres, I think they email you if they call and you don't pick up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Same here...still alive. But I want them to just ding me and get it over with so I can move on!

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Still nothing, stuck at 1/6

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:30 pm

Anyone else have a scholarship offer at NYU and thinking about sending an email to Stanford in a couple of weeks discussing the scholarship deadline at NYU?

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Isn't it up to you to negotiate an extension from NYU?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”