Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sharktankdean

Silver

Re: Stanford c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by sharktankdean » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:21 pm

The speed of this cycle is sooooooo slow that at this point i won't even be shocked if they get back to me in the first week of Law school orientation...but if that happened i will say bye to the new people i would have just met and would be on a plane to California ASAP.

nfohey

New

Post by nfohey » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:22 pm

cerealdan wrote:
nfohey wrote:
Trig9793 wrote:UR since 1/6. Are we thinking that my application has been passed-over for the moment, or is it possible that the January applications still haven't been reached yet?
I went UR 2/7 and just saw my status checker updated to "Decision Letter Sent" or something like that. Still not expecting good news. Is a letter a bad omen since everyone else is hoping for calls?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thus far that has meant rejection. :(
I assumed as much. Big time bummer but I always knew it was a long shot and now there is one less school left to hear from.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:23 pm

sharktankdean wrote:The speed of this cycle is sooooooo slow that at this point i won't even be shocked if they get back to me in the first week of Law school orientation...but if that happened i will say bye to the new people i would have just met and would be on a plane to California ASAP.
This happens. I know of two people. One was at NYU and got off the Harvard waitlist during Orientation. He backed his bags and said hello to Cambridge. Another was a Levy Scholar at Penn and got off the Yale waitlist in late September. She stayed put at Penn and is still kicking herself about it.

mickeyD

Bronze

Post by mickeyD » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:23 pm

stillllll silence since submitting in Oct. Please SLS just put me out of my misery!

kindaklueless

Bronze

Post by kindaklueless » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Another January submission reported on LSN as rejection.

*Wonders if last big wave of rejections is starting.

EDIT: Nevermind, same person who reported here.
Last edited by kindaklueless on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:The speed of this cycle is sooooooo slow that at this point i won't even be shocked if they get back to me in the first week of Law school orientation...but if that happened i will say bye to the new people i would have just met and would be on a plane to California ASAP.
This happens. I know of two people. One was at NYU and got off the Harvard waitlist during Orientation. He backed his bags and said hello to Cambridge. Another was a Levy Scholar at Penn and got off the Yale waitlist in late September. She stayed put at Penn and is still kicking herself about it.
Wait, what? They take people off the waitlist a month into classes?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:26 pm

cerealdan wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Wait, what? They take people off the waitlist a month into classes?
I don't know if they still do. Her 1L year was 5 or 6 years ago, but yea it happened.

neuroticjew

New

Post by neuroticjew » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:29 pm

I don't expect to get in, but since my deposit deadline at Chicago is just 10 days away it'd be nice to hear before then...

Fedexpress29

New

Post by Fedexpress29 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:31 pm

I wonder if they are waiting for students to drop out that have big scholarships from other T-10s, to preserve yield. Also, I wonder how many dual admits of Harvard and Stanford are going to have to make decisions soon, maybe opening up spots for some of us. I am now checking my status checker every 20 minutes... probably need to chill out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

neuroticjew

New

Post by neuroticjew » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Fedexpress29 wrote:I wonder if they are waiting for students to drop out that have big scholarships from other T-10s, to preserve yield. Also, I wonder how many dual admits of Harvard and Stanford are going to have to make decisions soon, maybe opening up spots for some of us. I am now checking my status checker every 20 minutes... probably need to chill out.
Stanford moving up to #2 is going to up the yield.

Fedexpress29

New

Post by Fedexpress29 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:35 pm

neuroticjew wrote:
Fedexpress29 wrote:I wonder if they are waiting for students to drop out that have big scholarships from other T-10s, to preserve yield. Also, I wonder how many dual admits of Harvard and Stanford are going to have to make decisions soon, maybe opening up spots for some of us. I am now checking my status checker every 20 minutes... probably need to chill out.
Maybe, but I think a lot of east coasters still choose Harvard... I'm still waiting on both of them...but I could completely see myself just sitting on a wait list all summer. That would be so emotionally draining.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:36 pm

neuroticjew wrote:
I don't understand this. Stanford and Harvard have changed places before and are 1 point apart on US News--not one rank, but one POINT on a scale of 100! No doubt they will change places again, perhaps before we graduate.

bigdawg6

New

Post by bigdawg6 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Complete in January due to a late dean's letter. At this point I would prefer to hear something this week, even if it is a rejection or a waitlist, rather than get accepted in a month. I'm already in at some great schools and can't stop looking at my Stanford status checker which has said "under review" for almost three months now. I can't imagine how you October submits feel.

Overall, I have been really disappointed in how slowly Stanford has handled the applications process this year as it is simply not fair to the applicants who pay $100 to receive an admissions decision. If every other T14 law school (with perhaps the exception of Yale, but they are better about it) can manage to get decisions to the majority of its applicants by the end of March, why can't Stanford?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Geneva wrote:
neuroticjew wrote:
I don't understand this. Stanford and Harvard have changed places before and are 1 point apart on US News--not one rank, but one POINT on a scale of 100! No doubt they will change places again, perhaps before we graduate.

very true

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Stanford's yield will be around 45-55%. Any boost from US News probably won't amount to much. Harvard has, and will always have, the lay prestige that will allow it to have the higher yield.

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Stanford's yield will be around 45-55%. Any boost from US News probably won't amount to much. Harvard has, and will always have, the lay prestige that will allow it to have the higher yield.
very true as well

Fedexpress29

New

Post by Fedexpress29 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:50 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Stanford's yield will be around 45-55%. Any boost from US News probably won't amount to much. Harvard has, and will always have, the lay prestige that will allow it to have the higher yield.
very true as well
But Stanford is aware of this when they decide how many people to accept? So they let in double the number they hope to have? Or do they fill slowly off of the wait list?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Fedexpress29 wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:
very true as well
But Stanford is aware of this when they decide how many people to accept? So they let in double the number they hope to have? Or do they fill slowly off of the wait list?
Stanford uses its waitlist a lot less than Harvard, judging from LSN waitlist movement. I would assume the majority of their 380 acceptances are by mid-April and then they will fill in some slots if it's necessary in late April and/or early May.

Barca10

New

Post by Barca10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:53 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
very true as well
These schools have been within a spot of each other or even tied for the last ten years. To assume that people who are lucky enough to be able to choose between these two schools (and therefore clearly somewhat intelligent), will base such a huge decision on the arbitrary and narrow rankings by a single publication seems a little absurd.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:53 pm

All schools accept more than they plan to enroll. They tend to be conservative to avoid overenrolling (hence the waitlist), but by and large they know how many they should accept to reach a target class size.

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:54 pm

bigdawg6 wrote:Complete in January due to a late dean's letter. At this point I would prefer to hear something this week, even if it is a rejection or a waitlist, rather than get accepted in a month. I'm already in at some great schools and can't stop looking at my Stanford status checker which has said "under review" for almost three months now. I can't imagine how you October submits feel.

Overall, I have been really disappointed in how slowly Stanford has handled the applications process this year as it is simply not fair to the applicants who pay $100 to receive an admissions decision. If every other T14 law school (with perhaps the exception of Yale, but they are better about it) can manage to get decisions to the majority of its applicants by the end of March, why can't Stanford?

honestly the reason why Stanford (as well as Harvard and Yale) can drag out their process for months is because they know we will wait...if many people started withdrawing their apps today because of the delay...we would see movement in the coming days (and not necessarily because the app pool became smaller)...Stanford knows its Stanford and they know that even though we paid $100 (the most expensive app fee) we would not hold their slow app cycle against them when making our final school decisions...that's life i guess.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:04 pm

bigdawg6 wrote:Complete in January due to a late dean's letter. At this point I would prefer to hear something this week, even if it is a rejection or a waitlist, rather than get accepted in a month.
I find this hard to believe.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Barca10 wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:
very true as well
These schools have been within a spot of each other or even tied for the last ten years. To assume that people who are lucky enough to be able to choose between these two schools (and therefore clearly somewhat intelligent), will base such a huge decision on the arbitrary and narrow rankings by a single publication seems a little absurd.
Agree to all of this. I'm from the East Coast and even educated people outside of the field fail to comprehend that Harvard is not the holy grail of legal education (let's be honest:on TLS, we all know that is Yale). Stanford is so underrated in these parts that people seem to view Georgetown and Stanford as equally prestigious. Lay prestige is going to have 0 weight in my decision making process (except inasmuch as it translates into career options), but I do find the misperceptions surprising.
When I told one friend (who went to a T20 undergrad) that I decided to apply to Yale, she responded, and I kid you not, "Why would you apply there when you already have Georgetown?"

Barca10

New

Post by Barca10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Geneva wrote:
Barca10 wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:
very true as well
Agree to all of this. I'm from the East Coast and even educated people outside of the field fail to comprehend that Harvard is not the holy grail of legal education (let's be honest:on TLS, we all know that is Yale). Stanford is so underrated in these parts that people seem to view Georgetown and Stanford as equally prestigious. Lay prestige is going to have 0 weight in my decision making process (except inasmuch as it translates into career options), but I do find the misperceptions surprising.
When I told one friend (who went to a T20 undergrad) that I decided to apply to Yale, she responded, and I kid you not, "Why would you apply there when you already have Georgetown?"
+1

bigdawg6

New

Post by bigdawg6 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Geneva wrote:
bigdawg6 wrote:Complete in January due to a late dean's letter. At this point I would prefer to hear something this week, even if it is a rejection or a waitlist, rather than get accepted in a month.
I find this hard to believe.
Okay.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”