Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PopTorts13

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PopTorts13 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:40 pm

Congrats! Those high LSAT scores make me feel insecure about my 174 and I'm starting to doubt my chances at being admitted to Yale. Here is to hoping applying in late November and having strong softs, work experience and GPA will give me a better chance than I am thinking I have. Again, congrats to those who were admitted; I am very jealous!

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:35 am

i really want a pop tart now..............but all i have are these cheap made in china toaster strudels...lame...

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:54 pm

holy shit in???? so surprised!

soj

Postby soj » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:57 pm

ladybug89 wrote:holy shit in???? so surprised!

Did you just get the call? :D Congrats!!

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Congrats everyone who's gotten in so far!

The HLS acceptance definitely makes me less nervous, but still...God, I love Yale so much.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:Congrats everyone who's gotten in so far!

The HLS acceptance definitely makes me less nervous, but still...God, I love Yale so much.

Me too. :(

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:41 pm

I got an e-mail (abroad)! Submitted a couple days after the application went live (I don't quite remember which day).

good luck everyone!
Last edited by ladybug89 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:43 pm

That must feel amazing!! I hope I haven't been passed up.

n4elise

Postby n4elise » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:30 pm

CONGRATS ladybug :D gpa twins (and undergrad twins, possibly?)

and good luck again to everyone else!! i guess today was quiet on the yls admissions front... was not expecting that.... i sure hope they start calling you guys soon :wink:

on another note, any other applicants/admits coming straight from undergrad? i'm a bit intimidated (sort of...) about being in such a minority! especially since i'm still 20, a baby even in my own class lol.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 pm

n4elise wrote:CONGRATS ladybug :D gpa twins (and undergrad twins, possibly?)

and good luck again to everyone else!! i guess today was quiet on the yls admissions front... was not expecting that.... i sure hope they start calling you guys soon :wink:

on another note, any other applicants/admits coming straight from undergrad? i'm a bit intimidated (sort of...) about being in such a minority! especially since i'm still 20, a baby even in my own class lol.

if it get in lol.....i will be straight outa undergrad...21

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:27 pm

ladybug89 wrote:I got an e-mail (abroad)! Numbers are 177/3.84, hyps undergrad. Submitted a couple days after the application went live (I don't quite remember which day).

good luck everyone!

Numbers twin - congrats! Incredible accomplishment!

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:28 pm

thederangedwang wrote:

if it get in lol.....i will be straight outa undergrad...21

No, I will be 25. Going to Grad school and having experience working for a couple of years has led me to applying to law school. I had studied abroad and got my feet wet in a lot of life-building opportunities. I never considered it an option as an undergrad/grad student. You'll be fine, not the first nor the last to go directly from undergrad to law. Some have an intense interest and passion to do so, while others find themselves burnt out come mid-way through law school. Regardless, you should be fine academically if that is where a genuine passion is taking you. As usual, wishing you all the very best!

n4elise

Postby n4elise » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:23 am

thanks for the thoughts, poptorts! love the name/image, btw :)

and good luck, derangedwang!! good to see another UGer!

here's to hoping 203 hits you guys up!

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:47 am

I sent an update via e-mail about a day ago, but was told that my file had gone complete about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, I was prompted with the response that once files are under review they will not accept updates and that applications will not be re-reviewed. Perhaps a slew of impressive high school accolades will be for not. Kicking my self in the butt. Any guess as to whether or not my application has not gone through review yet? Thank you.
Last edited by PopTorts13 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:51 am

PopTorts13 wrote:I sent an update via e-mail about a day ago, but was told that my file had gone complete about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, I was prompted with the response that once files are under review they will not accept updates and that applications will not be re-reviewed. Perhaps a slew of impressive high school accolades will be for not. Kicking my self in the butt.

They weren't asking for accolades. They just want to see where you come from. They didn't even want GPA.

And good luck to you all!

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:17 am

does this mean we should or should not send updated semester grades if we havent heard from yale by the end of this semester?

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:28 am

thederangedwang wrote:does this mean we should or should not send updated semester grades if we havent heard from yale by the end of this semester?

I'm under the impression that you should, but to think that they will be taken into account for an application that has already been designated as complete is a grey subject. It seems to be a case of whether or not the application has moved from the complete stage to the review stage and I don't think they send out notifications that an application has done such. Long story short, make sure information is sent and the rest is up to where your app is at in the review process. It would be a shame to leave any void or reason of speculation for a committee.

A further comment, I noticed that the GPA and Class Rank were not necessary, but didn't see any request for community service, athletics, clubs, and the such to not be included.

Schola

Postby Schola » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: being younger. Don't worry about it at all. While older students will have more of a knowledge base to draw upon in class, either from their WE or previous grad work, which you might find that a bit intimidating at first, just keep in mind that everyone has unique areas of specialization and life experience. In other words, no one knows everything about everything. And it's that diversity of experience and knowledge that invigorates classroom discussion.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Schola wrote:
just keep in mind that everyone has unique areas of specialization and life experience. In other words, no one knows everything about everything. And it's that diversity of experience and knowledge that invigorates classroom discussion.

I totally agree with this, though thus far, it look like only Ivy grads with really high LSAT scores have been admitted. I am sure Yale will broaden the pool....but now that I think about my friends that are grads or there currently, they are also all Ivy UGs. Its an awfully small class, but my pool is also clearly not representative. It will be interesting to see how the admissions play out after all the faculty reviews and what not.

Its so strange as the cycle goes on how my impressions of the strengths of the schools has changed radically. I think my list has almost flipped on its head in the few short months from my first post till now. There is just so much to consider. I "get" the ASW thing now. At the beginning, I was wondering what the point was since so many had their minds made up, but a visit is def very helpful!

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:06 pm

yeah dont worry about being young...heck, at least we wont go to yale needing walkers or canes like some of these other posters might need

igelchen

Postby igelchen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:19 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Its so strange as the cycle goes on how my impressions of the strengths of the schools has changed radically. I think my list has almost flipped on its head in the few short months from my first post till now. There is just so much to consider. I "get" the ASW thing now. At the beginning, I was wondering what the point was since so many had their minds made up, but a visit is def very helpful!

Could you expand on this? How has it flipped?

n4elise

Postby n4elise » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Schola wrote:

Re: being younger. Don't worry about it at all. While older students will have more of a knowledge base to draw upon in class, either from their WE or previous grad work, which you might find that a bit intimidating at first, just keep in mind that everyone has unique areas of specialization and life experience. In other words, no one knows everything about everything. And it's that diversity of experience and knowledge that invigorates classroom discussion.

thanks schola! i'm not allll that intimidated, hence my initial "sort of" haha—and more excited than intimidated to be surrounded by such a wide range of ages and experiences :D mostly just curious, since the no-years-out percentage seems to dwindle every year.

also, igelchen, that little critter is freaking adorable.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:22 pm

igelchen wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

Could you expand on this? How has it flipped?

Sorry, no I can't really expand. I didn't share my personal rankings at the outset and I'm not going to until all scholarships and fin aid are in (probably not even then). I've shared things I'm considering though when making my decisions. I just personally surprised by how schools have jumped both up and down on my list. My original 1 and 2 are now not even under consideration.

igelchen

Postby igelchen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Hmm k. But your feelings have been changed primarily by visits?

I wonder how much one's experience during a visit is shaped entirely by chance-- the folks you happen to talk to, how good the prof is whose lecture you sit in on, the weather, etc...It seems like the more concrete differences between the schools can be determined without the visit, and may provide a more accurate picture of the school than the subjective slice one sees during the visit.

annnnnd sorry to hijack the Yale thread. Especially with folks panicking at every bump in the thread.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

igelchen wrote:Hmm k. But your feelings have been changed primarily by visits?

I wonder how much one's experience during a visit is shaped entirely by chance-- the folks you happen to talk to, how good the prof is whose lecture you sit in on, the weather, etc...It seems like the more concrete differences between the schools can be determined without the visit, and may provide a more accurate picture of the school than the subjective slice one sees during the visit.

annnnnd sorry to hijack the Yale thread. Especially with folks panicking at every bump in the thread.

Maybe if you're straight out of UG, but when you're older, you have WAY more things to consider when choosing a law school. Although the funny thing is, I always told my family and friends that if I was young and single I would go to a particular law school in a heartbeat, no doubt about it being my #1, but because I had to consider other things in the decision I would most likely not go there (and it slid down my list). After collecting all the info, making visits to the schools, and figuring out all the "other" stuff, that is the school that ended up being my #1 again as an old married with children fart. I also had personal considerations like a continuing education grant from my company that certain top law schools don't qualify for - since its an international firm, they could care less about USNWR rankings in the determination too. They have their own preferences (for better or worse) about what they are willing to give people leave for.

As far as sitting in on classes, I wouldn't use that to make a decision. Visits can be very productive if you are looking to work with particular faculty as I was. You get a chance to meet with the professors in the field you want to work in and a much better picture of whether the offerings at the school and the resources devoted to it will fit with your agenda. Of course, if you don't have an agenda, that would not be particularly helpful. It all just depends on what you are personally looking to get out of law school when you are essentially choosing between really great schools. Just like the industry surveys they do where different people will have different opinions or in H being ranked in those over Y, but below Y in the USNews rankings. Depending on how you make your determinations about what is most important to consider you will get different results. It can be surprising.

I would think this is particularly important with Yale, which produces alot of academics. For those that have done supervised PhDs, you will know that your advisers and your relationship with them is very important to your success. Yale has a justifiable rep for producing academics, but Harvard and other top schools do as well. If you are considering that path (even vaguely), I'd highly recommend doing your leg work on making sure you are making the right choice. And that often means going way beyond what admissions material or websites will tell you. You can get good results and stumble into good spots without doing it, but you can also end up in not such great spots. It is 3 years of your life.

So in other words...I wouldn't use subjective determinations like conversations with random people either IRL or on the internet or law school websites to make your determination. I would probably think more carefully before ASWs and visits about what you want to get from law school and how you are going to evaluate them. JMO of course.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”