Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kulshan

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kulshan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Okay, thanks. I'll try. All for you, Yale. All for you.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Good luck! I have a feeling you're gonna do very well. :)

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:42 pm

kulshan wrote:Okay, thanks. I'll try. All for you, Yale. All for you.

actually please don't...i kinda wanna get in as well and we r basically number twins......so keep ur resume at 2..or better yet go ahead and add another page

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:11 pm

I am in the same boat on cutting down kulshan. I'm going to wait till I see what all the Yale app includes this year. I've noticed that my comprehensive format Education, Awards/Honors, Employment, Activities/Volunteer, and Personal has worked well in other contexts, but it is seriously redundant given the questions on most apps. I just prefer having it all in one place, especially since I'm really bothered by the way these flex apps look. I much prefer having it in a simple, organized list with whatever crazy symbols I find necessary to use to make it aesthetically pleasing to look at and digest. Like an executive summary of the app with some context. Sigh...it all must go and we'll just have to hope they are seriously reading the rest of the app.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:43 am

Yeah, the application system is insane. No quotation marks? No colons? Unacceptable!

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:44 pm

soj wrote:
kulshan wrote:So, this is how I have things now. Suggestions?

University of Star Wars at Hoth, Hoth, Space
Ph.D., Philosophy (in progress); GPA: 4.0.
In Spring 2012 I will have finished my coursework, defended the prospectus for my dissertation, and earned the Graduate Certificate in Ewok and Wookie Studies. My research areas are Ethics (Normative and Meta-), Social and Political Philosophy, Feminist Philosophy, Epistemology, and Philosophy of Law.
I will receive the MA degree in Spring 2012.
Alderaan University, Alderaan, Space
B.A., summa cum laude with departmental honors in Philosophy (May 2008); GPA: 4.0.
Honors Thesis: “The Force” Advisor: Prof. Kenobi.

Cut out the bolded stuff

Explain it through other sections of your app (PS, LOR, "Education" section)

TITCR

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Wait, is the app out yet?

soj

Postby soj » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:38 pm

LaCumparsita wrote:Wait, is the app out yet?

Can't you check?

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:29 am

Uh I did, but it just says that the application hasn't been released yet.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:38 am

Then I guess you have your answer lol

tng11

Postby tng11 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

icedflames

Postby icedflames » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:28 pm

tng11 wrote:The 250 is driving me nuts. I've done 10 versions of it so far, all on different topics and threw all of them out. I just don't know what kind of inane thing I could write about elegantly in 250 words. I'm probably wasting my time (and the adcom's time) applying to YLS anyways.

Same! I've been going through so many topics, but I still have no idea what to write about. Maybe I should just write "admit me!" 125 times. I don't want to write a personal narrative because it doesn't seem right with the personal statement.

Could anyone share their topic (in a very general sense of course) so I could get an idea?

soj

Postby soj » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm done my 250 but stuck on my PS. At least you guys can submit everywhere else, where being early actually matters. :wink:

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:20 am

After much soul-searching and cutting, I cannot get my resume down to 1 page. Sigh. May Asha have mercy. I've shown it to other people and they are stumped. No one has been able to suggest cutting anything without taking away from my application.

Being a non-trad is tough. I could easily have done this a year or two out of undergrad, but now its almost impossible. I am hoping they are just merciful. I cut out an entire half page so its now 1.5 pages. I'm hoping they just give me some leeway.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:34 am

1.5 pages should be fine, especially if there's no explicit requirement of one page.

After all, one page is just a rule of thumb (that happens to apply to the majority of applicants). If you're not just padding the resume with filler, then I wouldn't be worried about it.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:27 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:1.5 pages should be fine, especially if there's no explicit requirement of one page.

After all, one page is just a rule of thumb (that happens to apply to the majority of applicants). If you're not just padding the resume with filler, then I wouldn't be worried about it.

Thanks, I sure hope so. I mean I condensed my entire education section to this and that alone drives me nuts. I much prefer to just lay it out with more lines so its readable and doesn't have the name, location, degree abbreviation all in one line, but whatever, they can find the actual title for the degrees in the app I suppose:

University of XXXXX, XXXXX, XXXXX, (Doctoral Candidate)
Dissertation: “XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX”

University of XXXXXX, XXXXXX (MSc)
Dissertation (Distinction): “XXXXXXXXXXXXXX” GPA: Distinction (4.0 Equivalent)

XXXXX University, XXXXXX (B.A. International Service, summa cum laude, Honor’s Program)
Honor’s Dissertation, Undergraduate Research Symposium: “XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX” GPA: 4.0

I just don't see how I can cut it down even further. I thought about dropping the dissertation stuff, but my PS is more about my personal growth and decision to pursue law, which I need as a non-trad. My 250 is also not academic as it stands now. So I felt like I needed to highlight at some point that I've had academic writing recognized. Would you cut it and just leave the schools and GPA?
Last edited by MumofCad on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:32 am

MumofCad wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:1.5 pages should be fine, especially if there's no explicit requirement of one page.

Thanks, I sure hope so. I mean I condensed my entire education section to this and that alone drives me nuts. I much prefer to just lay it out with more lines so its readable and doesn't have the name, location, degree abbreviation all in one line, but whatever, they can find the actual title for the degrees in the app I suppose:

University of XXXXX, XXXXX, XXXXX, (Doctoral Candidate)
Dissertation: “XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX”

University of XXXXXX, XXXXXX (MSc)
Dissertation (Distinction): “XXXXXXXXXXXXXX” GPA: Distinction (4.0 Equivalent)

XXXXX University, XXXXXX (B.A. International Service, summa cum laude, Honor’s Program)
Honor’s Dissertation, Undergraduate Research Symposium: “XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX” GPA: 4.0

I just don't see how I can cut it down even further. I thought about dropping the dissertation stuff, but my PS is more about my personal growth and decision to pursue law, which I need as a non-trad. My 250 is also not academic as it stands now. So I felt like I needed to highlight at some point that I've had academic writing recognized. Would you cut it and just leave the schools and GPA? Is that filler?

I think you're perfectly fine. Given your academic background, I think it would hurt not to highlight it esp. since several faculty members are involved in the admin process at Yale.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:
I think you're perfectly fine. Given your academic background, I think it would hurt not to highlight it esp. since several faculty members are involved in the admin process at Yale.

Ok, so what do you guys think of titling. I'm wrestling with this - I have a section of "Honors" with scholarships and awards and another section for "Work Experience" and "Undergraduate Activities and Internships." I've cut out a ton of work experience, but assuming that the Yale app is like the other apps, it can easily be found there. Same with the other two sections. But I've kept stuff that requires some bullet pointing to highlight successes/responsibilities or like in the case of research positions, display that it actually resulted in published works for the professors in question, etc. Basically stuff that regular app doesn't leave room for. If it didn't require a bullet, I cut it since it can be found in the app.

However, I was viewing the resume for other schools as basically an executive summary that was easy to reference at the end of my app to "review" everything.

Since I've cut so much from my Yale one, and not just filler but some actual leadership positions and what not, I don't want to leave the impression out there that this is comprehensive. Especially since I cut about half of the honors out of it that will be listed in the app. Even in the education section, I cut out foreign universities I did certificate studies through.

I was thinking of two solutions to title it:

1: SELECT UNDERGRADUATE ACTIVITIES and INTERNSHIPS

2: UNDERGRADUATE ACTIVITIES and INTERNSHIPS (abbr.) OR UNDERGRADUATE ACTIVITIES and INTERNSHIPS (abbreviated)

OR

3. UNDERGRADUATE ACTIVITIES and INTERNSHIPS - Just leave it the same, even though professors will be reviewing it who may or may not realize that significant awards mentioned in the app are missing and might then judge me just on this abbreviated list.

What do you all think? Is a resume self-evident that it is abbreviated or select items in the context of law school apps?

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:40 pm

moc, you're overthinking this. Just look at the Harvard sample resume and work off of that.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:05 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:moc, you're overthinking this. Just look at the Harvard sample resume and work off of that.

That's what I did for all the other apps, because they don't care about 1 or 2 pages, but Yale is pretty clear.

From Asha's blog:
OK, I'm going to get dicey here and, after the overwhelming response to my post on proper punctuation, I have a feeling this might get controversial. If you do include a resume (which we don't require), it should be one page. This is standard business practice, unless you're an academic with a lot of publications to your name which might take several pages to list. Now, this isn't a job application, and I'm sure we admit many people every year who have multiple-page resumes, so it's not an application-killer. But from a practical perspective, I'll note that it's really a lot easier to read a one-page resume and to see your life highlights at a glance. If you're concerned that you won't be able to fit everything you want to show on one page -- voila! We have a question on our application just for you -- Question 5a-c (see above).

I think you are right that I am worrying too much without seeing their app. It seems if you read that whole "technical matters" section that in years past (ie. before flex app). They had a question 5 which is pretty much asking you to build a resume for them. They are fine with that exceeding 1 page in terms of answers. So for whatever reason, they preferred to have all of this info there instead of in a resume.

However, it's also clear from her comments on that section, that you could attached a spreadsheet or at least a bullet list in that section. Since we know from our experiences with flex app thus far that isn't the case....it could change things this year. I'm not keen on having all these character limits that force you to list things in paragraph format without proper punctuation. It looks like a blob and I think it does make it difficult to digest, even when I'm looking at my own and know what I'm going to find there! I am hoping it doesn't have these issues and thus is easy to then shorten my resume even further to a page. I guess I should just wait and see, and hope that the "problems" they were addressing that delayed the app's release are in fact these. I recognize that professional essays are not to exceed a page, but I also don't list my honors or ECs on professional resumes, so its generally not an issue. Ah well, I'm not worried after reading that blog post in entirety again.

Back to wrapping birthday presents for the 5th bday party this month. At least this one is at a place where they take the kids for the hour and (hopefully) wear them out.

bdvanhorn1

Postby bdvanhorn1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:11 pm

icedflames wrote:
tng11 wrote:The 250 is driving me nuts. I've done 10 versions of it so far, all on different topics and threw all of them out. I just don't know what kind of inane thing I could write about elegantly in 250 words. I'm probably wasting my time (and the adcom's time) applying to YLS anyways.

Same! I've been going through so many topics, but I still have no idea what to write about. Maybe I should just write "admit me!" 125 times. I don't want to write a personal narrative because it doesn't seem right with the personal statement.

Could anyone share their topic (in a very general sense of course) so I could get an idea?

Music. Sweet music.

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:07 pm

Didn't see this up-thread so thought I'd post:
"In 2011, we will begin accepting applications between October 15 and November 1, and the deadline will be February 15."

Pushed back another two weeks from what I'd last seen (Oct 1).

MumofCad wrote: May Asha have mercy.

I'm not sure exactly why, probably just not enough caffeine this morning, but I am finding this absolutely hilarious. I have this image of prospective law students sacrificing goats and offering them up as burnt offerings unto The Adcoms.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:15 pm

As a fellow 1L, I will respectfully disagree (in part) with this. I wrote mine about a VERY personal, autobiographical aspect of my life that wouldn't show up elsewhere on my CV. I know other successful applicants who have written about a particular field hockey game, their music tastes, a disagreement with their parents, or a love of soap operas. So don't box yourself in to a narrow window of topics.

Where I agree with melior is that no matter the topic, you should express ONE interesting idea in swift, lucid, and engaging prose. I just don't think the idea itself matters as much as how you execute it. But I'm quite confident it doesn't need to be academic, since the majority of my friends who've been admitted didn't do an academic 250.

(One way to think of this is that if you have a more academic personal statement, then perhaps the 250 can show a different side of you, or vice versa. You have two cracks at telling them something interesting about you, so use each to show different facets of who you are and why you're too exciting to turn down.)

Good luck folks!

Edited to add: I also had a 2-page CV and they didn't hold it against me enough to reject me anywhere I applied. But use your judgment about whether your activities, etc. warrant two pages. Nevertheless, YLS doesn't ask for a CV at all (at least when I applied), so it's a non-issue here...

meliorquamheri wrote:Hey folks,

Current Yalie here: I used this forum extensively when I applied last year, so I thought I'd return the favour now. (I know there's a thread where people can ask Yale students questions, but it's kind of a ghost town.)

Here are the pieces of advice I found most useful during my application process (especially to Yale):

1) It's not a good idea to make your 250-word statement wacky and autobiographical. Most of the successful applicants with whom I've talked about this have used academic topics. The statement is above all an opportunity for professors to see what kind of a writer you are, i.e. how well you would survive in a rigorous, legal writing environment. When I applied, I think they referred to it as a writing sample rather than an additional essay, and there's a good reason for that. Maybe you can showcase the quality of your prose in a 250-word essay about how much you love walking on stilts or juggling, but in general that's what the personal statement is for.

2) I believe that no resume for law school applications should be longer than one page. You can usually get away with two, but the operative term is "get away": there's no application officer anywhere that would prefer to read more than one page. The point is that nobody is as important as he thinks, and nobody's qualifications are as indispensable as she thinks. If you're really pressed for space, and it's a choice between including that Rhodes Scholarship or that Olympic weightlifting medal, then fine, take a little extra. But in every case I've ever seen, the single-pager is the way to go. Admissions officers know that there's more to your life than a single page and will assume good editing skills rather than a lack of accomplishment if you keep it to one.

Those are the two things that seem to have already come up on this thread. Good luck to everybody in their applications, and I hope to see you next year in New Haven!

abitaman6363

Postby abitaman6363 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:54 pm

Hey Guys! Joining in with meliorquamher and zabagabe as a fellow 1L and definitely willing to help out with any questions you may have about the admissions process or the school in general. Granted, I've only been here for a little over a month but am more than happy to take any questions you may have.

Good luck on the admissions process! I know it's stressful, but relax, do your best, and be happy! You'll be just fine!

spek

Postby spek » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”