Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PopTorts13

Bronze

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by PopTorts13 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:22 pm

The LOR should speak of their relationship to you and more so attest to your ability to strive in an academic environment such as Yale's Law School. Yale is interested in having an eclectic group of successful people. Your recommender should paint the appropriate picture. I too heard back from Yale and am anxiously waiting for March, when they start to make some decisions.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:19 am

PopTorts13 wrote:The LOR should speak of their relationship to you and more so attest to your ability to strive in an academic environment such as Yale's Law School. Yale is interested in having an eclectic group of successful people. Your recommender should paint the appropriate picture. I too heard back from Yale and am anxiously waiting for March, when they start to make some decisions.
Hmm. Yeah. My prof doesn't really remember me... Not sure if it's worth it. I think he may write it anyway though... Oh well. I already have 1 academic and 2 professional.

Schola

Bronze

Post by Schola » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Looking at LSN, I noticed something interesting about Yale. Last year, nearly all of the early applicants (those who applied in the first month or so) who got straight admits (i.e. not WL/Admit) heard back in December. The year before the majority of early applying straight admits heard back in December, although one heard back in January and a few in March.

Thus, Yale is correct when it says that most people don't hear back until Feb-April, but the "most" that they are talking about are the rejects and waitlisters.

Not to stress anyone out...
Last edited by Schola on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schola

Bronze

Post by Schola » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Although it's also worth noting that the application for YLS opened up about a month later this year, so it may very well be the case that last year may be no guide to this year.

Also, does anyone know when Asha came on in admissions? B/c 3 years ago many fewer early applying straight admits heard back in December.

Schola

Bronze

Post by Schola » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Sorry for a third straight post, but thinking about it more, in the last two years the YLS application was available before the October LSAT, so they had a limited number of applicants applying in September and early October. It was these applicants who, if they were going to receive a straight admit, would have likely heard in December. This year, however, the application opened after the Oct. LSAT scores had come out. Consequently, they received many more applications in the first few days this year than they did in previous years. This, combined with the simple fact that the application came out late this year, suggests that precedent of early applying straight admits hearing in Dec. may not apply this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:22 pm

I asked early on if the late application would delay their decisions - they said they didn't anticipate that it would and that results will be coming out no later than a week past previous years. I would expect this week or next at the latest we will start hearing of people being admitted.

ETA: And they tweeted last year before the calls started. That will probably be your first indication.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Schola, I noticed what you said in the first of your three posts, too. If this year is similar, those of us who applied early who don't hear back in December (or January at the latest) might be SOL. Definitely scary to think about!

mjitbswyd

Bronze

Post by mjitbswyd » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:40 pm

Schola wrote:Looking at LSN, I noticed something interesting about Yale. Last year, nearly all of the early applicants (those who applied in the first month or so) who got straight admits (i.e. not WL/Admit) heard back in December. The year before the majority of early applying straight admits heard back in December, although one heard back in January and a few in March.

Thus, Yale is correct when it says that most people don't hear back until Feb-April, but the "most" that they are talking about are the rejects and waitlisters.

Not to stress anyone out...
thanks for the information! I always thought the Dec admits are the ones who did not go through the faculty review. Hope you are right, but I doubt if that can be done this year.

Schola

Bronze

Post by Schola » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:43 pm

soj wrote:Schola, I noticed what you said in the first of your three posts, too. If this year is similar, those of us who applied early who don't hear back in December (or January at the latest) might be SOL. Definitely scary to think about!
It is, but I think this observation will help greatly in helping w/ logistical issues for next year. Among other things, my family just adopted a dog (our house was broken into last week :x ) and the agency was nice enough to let us have a couple of weeks to decide if she fits in w/ our family, as we have a small child and another one the way. If we will end up in Cambridge next year, then we might be less inclined to keep the dog. However, if we will end up in New Haven, we will definitely be more inclined to keep the dog, of course depending on how all goes w/ training her. On top of that, my wife, although she will be taking something of a maternity leave for my first semester, will want to start making professional connections in whichever city we end up in as soon as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Last edited by spek on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:15 pm

You'll be fine.

Schola

Bronze

Post by Schola » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:07 pm

So when do people think we will start to see movement from YLS? The last couple of years saw the first calls come this, the second week in December. Do you think some people will hear today or tomorrow? And if not definitely next week?

seahawk32

Bronze

Post by seahawk32 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:13 pm

The Yale 250...Any tips haha?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:27 pm

Schola wrote:It is, but I think this observation will help greatly in helping w/ logistical issues for next year. Among other things, my family just adopted a dog (our house was broken into last week ) and the agency was nice enough to let us have a couple of weeks to decide if she fits in w/ our family, as we have a small child and another one the way. If we will end up in Cambridge next year, then we might be less inclined to keep the dog. However, if we will end up in New Haven, we will definitely be more inclined to keep the dog, of course depending on how all goes w/ training her. On top of that, my wife, although she will be taking something of a maternity leave for my first semester, will want to start making professional connections in whichever city we end up in as soon as possible.
Aww, please don't adopt a pet unless you can make a long-term commitment... obviously things come up and life happens, but if you know that there's a good chance you're going to give up the animal soon, it's just really not fair. I understand the need for security, but please consider a security system, extra locks etc, which don't have feelings and won't be heartbroken if/when abandoned. :(

Schola

Bronze

Post by Schola » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:43 pm

sailboat wrote:
Schola wrote:It is, but I think this observation will help greatly in helping w/ logistical issues for next year. Among other things, my family just adopted a dog (our house was broken into last week ) and the agency was nice enough to let us have a couple of weeks to decide if she fits in w/ our family, as we have a small child and another one the way. If we will end up in Cambridge next year, then we might be less inclined to keep the dog. However, if we will end up in New Haven, we will definitely be more inclined to keep the dog, of course depending on how all goes w/ training her. On top of that, my wife, although she will be taking something of a maternity leave for my first semester, will want to start making professional connections in whichever city we end up in as soon as possible.
Aww, please don't adopt a pet unless you can make a long-term commitment... obviously things come up and life happens, but if you know that there's a good chance you're going to give up the animal soon, it's just really not fair. I understand the need for security, but please consider a security system, extra locks etc, which don't have feelings and won't be heartbroken if/when abandoned. :(
Agreed. *If* we adopt the dog it will permanent, and will require all of the sacrifices that accompany having a pet as demanding as a dog. If we have the dog and I end up matriculating at Harvard, one of the sacrifices will presumably living a fair distance away from campus, since the CoL is expensive enough w/o being restricted to places that allow pets. Honestly, more salient to our decision than where we will end up is whether we think we will be able to handle a 3-y-o, a newborn, AND an energetic puppy. Whether I end up at Yale or Harvard (or Chicago or Michigan or UVA for that matter) is more of a tie-breaker.

I more brought up the dog to illustrate the point that many applicants aren't entirely unattached or free to move anywhere at the drop of a hat, and that I therefore find it useful to know that if I don't hear from Yale this month or the next, I will likely be a reject or WL.
Last edited by Schola on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:45 pm

Every new post in this thread gives me a tiny heart attack.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:49 pm

kulshan wrote:Every new post in this thread gives me a tiny heart attack.
chew aspirin

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Schola

Bronze

Post by Schola » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Just subscribe to Yale's twitter feed. They will announce that they are making phone calls before they make them. That way you won't have to waste inordinate amounts of time checking this message board, LSN, etc to see if there is any movement (assuming you don't want to waste time!)

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Schola wrote:
Just subscribe to Yale's twitter feed. They will announce that they are making phone calls before they make them. That way you won't have to waste inordinate amounts of time checking this message board, LSN, etc to see if there is any movement (assuming you don't want to waste time!)
Ah, good point. I had forgotten that they do that. Back to writing papers.

sailboat

Bronze

Post by sailboat » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Schola wrote:
Agreed. *If* we adopt the dog it will permanent, and will require all of the sacrifices that accompany having a pet as demanding as a dog. If we have the dog and I end up matriculating at Harvard, one of the sacrifices will presumably living a fair distance away from campus, since the CoL is expensive enough w/o being restricted to places that allow pets. Honestly, more salient to our decision than where we will end up is whether we think we will be able to handle a 3-y-o, a newborn, AND an energetic puppy. Whether I end up at Yale or Harvard (or Chicago or Michigan or UVA for that matter) is more of a tie-breaker.

I more brought up the dog to illustrate the point that many applicants aren't entirely unattached or free to move anywhere at the drop of a hat, and that I therefore find it useful to know that if I don't hear from Yale this month or the next, I will likely be a reject or WL.
Ah, OK, that totally makes sense, sorry for the misunderstanding. And indeed, hats off to you for the energy to handle the 3 yr old, baby, puppy, and law school all at once. :)

Schola

Bronze

Post by Schola » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:23 pm

sailboat wrote:
Schola wrote:

Ah, OK, that totally makes sense, sorry for the misunderstanding. And indeed, hats off to you for the energy to handle the 3 yr old, baby, puppy, and law school all at once. :)
I probably should be more worried about it than I am, but at the moment I'm actually not too concerned about the law school course load. When our first child was born my wife and I were both doctoral students and still taking classes and comprehensive exams. As such, we had lots of work, no money for childcare, and no family in town to help us out. I kinda doubt that only one of us being in law school, even with two kids, will approach that in terms of the levels of stress and caffeine intake. Especially if I go to H or Y, as I will have my parents only an hour or so away.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:41 pm

Argh, just saw their tweet about including hs info in the app. I don't even remember that being asked - was it just an option in the education section? Time to send an update I guess.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:42 am

ladybug89 wrote:Argh, just saw their tweet about including hs info in the app. I don't even remember that being asked - was it just an option in the education section? Time to send an update I guess.
Ugh, yeah, I just did. It definitely wasn’t asked for specifically. I didn’t include high school information in any of my applications. I wish they would have sent out a notice to everyone so we wouldn’t have to rely on twitter!

Schola

Bronze

Post by Schola » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:32 am

what's the under/over on people getting calls today?

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:33 am

Schola wrote:what's the under/over on people getting calls today?
probably a maybe

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”