Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
t.o.o
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby t.o.o » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:11 pm

ladybug89 wrote:It seems odd to put unpaid work in a section specifically termed "self-support." I think you should just put your unpaid internships in part c and a brief sentence about your visa status in b. As long as you have experience in general, I don't think they expect you to necessarily have worked for pay.


How does this sound?

"As an international student who does not yet have a work permit, I have been unable to work for pay while in university or during vacations. Instead I have participated in several internships as detailed in part c."

User avatar
ladybug89
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:45 pm

How does this sound?

"As an international student who does not yet have a work permit, I have been unable tocould not work for pay while in university or during vacations. Instead, I have participated in several internships, as detailed in part c."[/quote]

Added commas and this is probably just me, but "have been unable to" sounds weirdly passive. Also when someone reads this they will inevitably wonder whether you'll be able to work during law school and what your work permit status will be. You should clarify. Otherwise, looks fine.

xkcd09
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby xkcd09 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:03 am

Now that it's December, maybe we should start guessing when the first decisions are going to come out like the Northwestern thread.

User avatar
ladybug89
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ladybug89 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:39 am

xkcd09 wrote:Now that it's December, maybe we should start guessing when the first decisions are going to come out like the Northwestern thread.


but it's so hard to tell given how late their app went up! if it hadn't, i would have said early next week.

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:11 am

I was under the impression I could just sit back and relax till February, how many do they release any earlier than that?

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:19 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:I was under the impression I could just sit back and relax till February, how many do they release any earlier than that?


not many, only the auto-admits, maybe around 70

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:32 am

thederangedwang wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:I was under the impression I could just sit back and relax till February, how many do they release any earlier than that?


not many, only the auto-admits, maybe around 70


Well then I will certainly sit back and wait till February as I am no auto-admit :p

User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kulshan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:46 am

I was looking through the data, and I'm not sure it's just auto-admits who get in early. For one thing, Asha has said on the blog that time of admission doesn't correlate to whether you went through faculty review or not. Also, if you look at the people on LSN who got in at the very beginning, they don't seem much different from the people who get in later. Even though they don't have traditional rolling admissions, it looks like people who are accepted (without looking at WL acceptances) generally find out 1.5-2 months after submitting.

Or at least that is what we can tell ourselves so that we can hope to hear sooner rather than later!

User avatar
sn20
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sn20 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 pm

submitted yesterday! the odds of being accepted is about equivalent to:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... lb-wp24823

User avatar
ladybug89
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ladybug89 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:38 pm

kulshan wrote:I was looking through the data, and I'm not sure it's just auto-admits who get in early. For one thing, Asha has said on the blog that time of admission doesn't correlate to whether you went through faculty review or not. Also, if you look at the people on LSN who got in at the very beginning, they don't seem much different from the people who get in later. Even though they don't have traditional rolling admissions, it looks like people who are accepted (without looking at WL acceptances) generally find out 1.5-2 months after submitting.

Or at least that is what we can tell ourselves so that we can hope to hear sooner rather than later!


I don't know if we can say that though - because sure, they all have a similar "baseline" of numbers, but at Yale I think being an auto-admit has to do with a lot of other factors that we just can't see on LSN. so basically, who knows! i'm not convinced though that an application can be read by four people (especially when 3 of those are busy professors) by early december. I'm inclined to think that at least the first batch is auto-admits and then after that it's a bit more mixed.

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Hey guys, been debating whether or not it's worth applying. 173 3.77 Cuban. Whatcha think? I don't mind a moderate hail mary if there's any real shot, but I'd rather avoid getting everything done for it if my chances are negligible.

seanPtheB
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby seanPtheB » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:26 pm

vincanity1 wrote:Hey guys, been debating whether or not it's worth applying. 173 3.77 Cuban. Whatcha think? I don't mind a moderate hail mary if there's any real shot, but I'd rather avoid getting everything done for it if my chances are negligible.


In the words of MumofCad who put it so beautifully, "IT'S YALE." If you have any chance in hell at all, you get the stuff done and apply. You'll always somewhat wonder what maybe coulda been if you don't. Good luck!

User avatar
annyong
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby annyong » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 pm

seanPtheB wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:Hey guys, been debating whether or not it's worth applying. 173 3.77 Cuban. Whatcha think? I don't mind a moderate hail mary if there's any real shot, but I'd rather avoid getting everything done for it if my chances are negligible.


In the words of MumofCad who put it so beautifully, "IT'S YALE." If you have any chance in hell at all, you get the stuff done and apply. You'll always somewhat wonder what maybe coulda been if you don't. Good luck!

+1 you can analyze the numbers for almost any other schools and gauge your shot, but Yale is such a black box I think if your numbers don't put you in the auto-reject pile you should try!
Last edited by annyong on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ladybug89
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ladybug89 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:35 pm

annyong wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:Hey guys, been debating whether or not it's worth applying. 173 3.77 Cuban. Whatcha think? I don't mind a moderate hail mary if there's any real shot, but I'd rather avoid getting everything done for it if my chances are negligible.


In the words of MumofCad who put it so beautifully, "IT'S YALE." If you have any chance in hell at all, you get the stuff done and apply. You'll always somewhat wonder what maybe coulda been if you don't. Good luck!

+1 you can analyze the numbers for almost any other schools and gauge your shot, but Yale is such a black box I think if you're a numbers don't put you in the auto-reject pile you should try!


Thirded. Doooo iiiit!

User avatar
vincanity1
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vincanity1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:19 pm

You guys convinced me. Anybody apply for the need-based fee waiver? We apparently need to send off the dean certification form that becomes available after you hit submit, but the only three options I got are: allow a credit card charge (which would disqualify me), send a check directly to yale (which would disqualify me), and use a waiver code (which I don't have yet, obviously). Stanford's system was much easier

User avatar
seahawk32
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby seahawk32 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:31 pm

Can someone provide me with any advice for the 250?

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:57 pm

seahawk32 wrote:Can someone provide me with any advice for the 250?


Make it awesome! :)

Edit: Ok but seriously I don't have much advice but if you need a pair of eyes to edit I'm happy to do it :)

User avatar
yankees42789
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yankees42789 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:06 pm

How long was everybody's 'activities and work' section? I know Yale generally doesn't like resumes that are longer than a page, but is the same true for the 'activities and work' section?

Also, how much detail are we supposed to go into about said activities? Will a sentence or two suffice?

User avatar
curiouscat
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiouscat » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:31 pm

yankees42789 wrote:How long was everybody's 'activities and work' section? I know Yale generally doesn't like resumes that are longer than a page, but is the same true for the 'activities and work' section?

Also, how much detail are we supposed to go into about said activities? Will a sentence or two suffice?


From what I'm gathering from the blog post on this section (http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tters.aspx), you can go as long as you want. I'm keeping to a sentence or two for each activity, but you can get into more detail if you think it would be helpful.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:36 pm

curiouscat wrote:
yankees42789 wrote:How long was everybody's 'activities and work' section? I know Yale generally doesn't like resumes that are longer than a page, but is the same true for the 'activities and work' section?

Also, how much detail are we supposed to go into about said activities? Will a sentence or two suffice?


From what I'm gathering from the blog post on this section (http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tters.aspx), you can go as long as you want. I'm keeping to a sentence or two for each activity, but you can get into more detail if you think it would be helpful.


I'm going to have to disagree, u should NOT write a sentence or two.

" If there is some honor or activity that isn't self-explanatory or on which you feel you need to elaborate further, a short narrative is OK"


what i got from the above quote is that u shouldnt even write a sentence or two...u should only write a sentence or two if the activity isnt self explanatory...otherwise, just list the activity and time requirement

mine ended up being 3/4th of one page, since all i did was list (no explanations) since my activities were straight forward

User avatar
ladybug89
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ladybug89 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 am

thederangedwang wrote:
curiouscat wrote:
yankees42789 wrote:How long was everybody's 'activities and work' section? I know Yale generally doesn't like resumes that are longer than a page, but is the same true for the 'activities and work' section?

Also, how much detail are we supposed to go into about said activities? Will a sentence or two suffice?


From what I'm gathering from the blog post on this section (http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... tters.aspx), you can go as long as you want. I'm keeping to a sentence or two for each activity, but you can get into more detail if you think it would be helpful.


I'm going to have to disagree, u should NOT write a sentence or two.

" If there is some honor or activity that isn't self-explanatory or on which you feel you need to elaborate further, a short narrative is OK"


what i got from the above quote is that u shouldnt even write a sentence or two...u should only write a sentence or two if the activity isnt self explanatory...otherwise, just list the activity and time requirement

mine ended up being 3/4th of one page, since all i did was list (no explanations) since my activities were straight forward


I did it the opposite way - I put short descriptions in my activities and work section, and kept my resume very sparse and free of all explanations. As long as you don't get too crazy with descriptions, I think it's fine.

User avatar
PopTorts13
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PopTorts13 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:51 am

Best of luck everyone! :)

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sandwiches5000 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:49 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:Best of luck everyone! :)


+1

I like the name, torts. Very punny.

Got my second faculty recommender to agree to write a rec!!! Let's do this, people.

User avatar
sandwiches5000
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sandwiches5000 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:10 pm

What aspects of me as a candidate does Yale want reflected in the recommendations? Analysis of academic material, writing skills?

vto35
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vto35 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 pm

applied 11/26 just got the complete email today 12/5




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], mse2020 and 7 guests