Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sandwiches5000

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:25 am

QUESTION: I know that it says they prefer two letters from profs but if you have been out of school for some time other letters are acceptable. Does this mean other letters in ADDITION, or in place of? I've read they really place a lot of importance on the two academic letters but I only have one and I have been out of school for three years. I think the other two letters from my employers more accurately reflect my intellectual/professional abilities than a letter from a prof I haven't spoken with in three years would... Thoughts?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:QUESTION: I know that it says they prefer two letters from profs but if you have been out of school for some time other letters are acceptable. Does this mean other letters in ADDITION, or in place of? I've read they really place a lot of importance on the two academic letters but I only have one and I have been out of school for three years. I think the other two letters from my employers more accurately reflect my intellectual/professional abilities than a letter from a prof I haven't spoken with in three years would... Thoughts?

This is a tough one. If its at all possible, I would cultivate another academic LOR, but if you have one...that is much better than none (some have a very difficult time even getting 1). Make sure the professional ones are very well-written and informative.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:57 am

MumofCad wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:QUESTION: I know that it says they prefer two letters from profs but if you have been out of school for some time other letters are acceptable. Does this mean other letters in ADDITION, or in place of? I've read they really place a lot of importance on the two academic letters but I only have one and I have been out of school for three years. I think the other two letters from my employers more accurately reflect my intellectual/professional abilities than a letter from a prof I haven't spoken with in three years would... Thoughts?

This is a tough one. If its at all possible, I would cultivate another academic LOR, but if you have one...that is much better than none (some have a very difficult time even getting 1). Make sure the professional ones are very well-written and informative.

Hmm. Okay, I suppose it is definitely worth a try. I know a prof I can contact who was going to write me an LOR a long time ago. Seems a bit late in the game but at least no rolling admissions... I guess if I can get it all in within the next few weeks- month I'm okay?

Schola

Postby Schola » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:00 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

Hmm. Okay, I suppose it is definitely worth a try. I know a prof I can contact who was going to write me an LOR a long time ago. Seems a bit late in the game but at least no rolling admissions... I guess if I can get it all in within the next few weeks- month I'm okay?

Yale at least claims you won't impede your chances as long as you get everything in by 2/15. But I would still get things in sooner rather than later. But no need to stress at this moment.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:20 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

I would do this since they don't do rolling admissions. This is the only school you can really do it and it may help.

Also, think hard about what the prof could say about you. Gather some papers, be prepared to remind them of things. If possible, I would take them out for coffee and really give them a whole packet of stuff since they may not remember you that well (not because you aren't exceptional, but just because its been a few years). You don't want it to be a weak, canned thing - but I think it can really help you to have another strong academic LOR in the review process. Good luck!

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:27 am

MumofCad wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

I would do this since they don't do rolling admissions. This is the only school you can really do it and it may help.

Also, think hard about what the prof could say about you. Gather some papers, be prepared to remind them of things. If possible, I would take them out for coffee and really give them a whole packet of stuff since they may not remember you that well (not because you aren't exceptional, but just because its been a few years). You don't want it to be a weak, canned thing - but I think it can really help you to have another strong academic LOR in the review process. Good luck!

Thanks! I just saw the "two academic LORs" way too many times on Yale admission pages that I figured it was too important to pass up. I just asked her and I'm going to follow up with more specific info about my involvement in her classes and the department. I'd take her out to coffee but I'm in Asia for several more months so that might be a tad difficult, hehe.

doppelganger

Postby doppelganger » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:09 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:Welp. Delayed this a month after all my other apps because I have no idea what to write for the 250. A month later. Still am not entirely sure. Starting the app though! GL all.

I vote you write an essay describing the complexity of a very special sandwich (preferably Asian), but do so in the voice of Woody Allen.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:29 am

doppelganger wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Welp. Delayed this a month after all my other apps because I have no idea what to write for the 250. A month later. Still am not entirely sure. Starting the app though! GL all.

I vote you write an essay describing the complexity of a very special sandwich (preferably Asian), but do so in the voice of Woody Allen.

HAHA. I LOLed. That is something I'd write about.

Well. It turns out my prof had a serious illness in her family so she's taken a leave of absence... Hmmm. I may call Yale tonight and see what they think.

dot

Postby dot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:24 pm

I hope some cool people start getting accepted soon!

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:05 pm

dot wrote:I hope some cool people start getting accepted soon!

Hahaha! We hope so too! Should start in about 2 weeks right? Like around the 6th or 7th and just a tiny trickle up tp Christmas break?

cucullu

Postby cucullu » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:16 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:Thanks! I just saw the "two academic LORs" way too many times on Yale admission pages that I figured it was too important to pass up. I just asked her and I'm going to follow up with more specific info about my involvement in her classes and the department. I'd take her out to coffee but I'm in Asia for several more months so that might be a tad difficult, hehe.

This. Yale profs make the majority of the admit decisions (outside the 70-80 auto-admits) and I've heard some of them mention how much weight they place on the academic LORs. It really is worth it to take an extra week or an extra two months if that is what it will take to make your application excellent. A late January or early February app will hurt you at almost every other school, but not at Yale, where the outcome comes down to the quality, not the timing, of whatever you finally do submit. FWIW, my apps were all super late (Yale wasn't complete until early February) but I'm here now, and didn't make it past the wait list at H or S, which are rolling. Hope that helps!

P.S. Ditto to everything Abitaman said. YLS is great, but a very Choose Your Own Adventure type experience. And likewise, feel free to PM with questions.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:45 pm

MumofCad wrote:

Hahaha! We hope so too! Should start in about 2 weeks right? Like around the 6th or 7th and just a tiny trickle up tp Christmas break?

these r only for those peeps that dont go to faculty review right?..so people like mumofcad right?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:32 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

these r only for those peeps that dont go to faculty review right?..so people like mumofcad right?

Now that's an even greater lol! I wish. Maybe Elston Gunn (if he applied).

I thought this was the case, but then I saw a blog post at some point somewhere that dispelled this "assumption" about reading too much into timing of decisions. Certainly most of them would be that early, but I guess its possible that the few early straight 4s get through faculty review early because they went early? I don't know. I just remember her saying something like the spreading out of decisions has nothing to do with faculty review and that has nothing to do with the strength of each applicant and admission can just vary based on the way they try to avoid rolling admissions problems elsewhere.

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:07 am

cucullu wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Thanks! I just saw the "two academic LORs" way too many times on Yale admission pages that I figured it was too important to pass up. I just asked her and I'm going to follow up with more specific info about my involvement in her classes and the department. I'd take her out to coffee but I'm in Asia for several more months so that might be a tad difficult, hehe.

This. Yale profs make the majority of the admit decisions (outside the 70-80 auto-admits) and I've heard some of them mention how much weight they place on the academic LORs. It really is worth it to take an extra week or an extra two months if that is what it will take to make your application excellent. A late January or early February app will hurt you at almost every other school, but not at Yale, where the outcome comes down to the quality, not the timing, of whatever you finally do submit. FWIW, my apps were all super late (Yale wasn't complete until early February) but I'm here now, and didn't make it past the wait list at H or S, which are rolling. Hope that helps!

P.S. Ditto to everything Abitaman said. YLS is great, but a very Choose Your Own Adventure type experience. And likewise, feel free to PM with questions.

Oh man. I really have to dig deep and think of some professors I can contact who knew me well enough. I had one a while back from an International Law prof but it was kind of stale. Hmmmmm. I wish I asked for more recs when I was there because I definitely had professors who I was close with and offered but it was so long ago. I want Yale so badly though (who doesn't?) and I know my application can use all the help it can get.

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:30 am

sandwiches5000 wrote:Oh man. I really have to dig deep and think of some professors I can contact who knew me well enough. I had one a while back from an International Law prof but it was kind of stale. Hmmmmm. I wish I asked for more recs when I was there because I definitely had professors who I was close with and offered but it was so long ago. I want Yale so badly though (who doesn't?) and I know my application can use all the help it can get.

Yale knows it's hard - especially for people who've been out of school for, say, 3+ years - to get two academic recs, but it's important to put yourself in the position of Asha and/or profs reading your application: it's a small school, with small classes; you have to write two relatively substantial, relatively academic papers while you're there; professors as decision-makers means they're looking for RAs/TAs/co-authors/just generally people they want to have in class. Knowing that you can handle and excel at the type of work that will be expected of you, and that you'll take advantage of the opportunities available, are big priorities. To be blunt: professors trust professors. At least, more than they do your average post-undergrad employer.

So, if you *really* can't find a 2nd academic rec, then at least make sure your other recs are emphasizing skills and qualities you possess that are academic in nature (critical thinking, the ability to synthesize, the ability to see big-picture, writing, etc.). That way, it's easier to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

But really. I promise. Two academic letters. They're a good idea. It's worth it to expend the effort to reach out to those professors you used to be close with, and refresh their memories about why you're so awesome. :)

yoiav

Postby yoiav » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:34 pm

just threw my hat in the ring!! good luck everybody!

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:52 am

rabbit9198 wrote:
sandwiches5000 wrote:Oh man. I really have to dig deep and think of some professors I can contact who knew me well enough. I had one a while back from an International Law prof but it was kind of stale. Hmmmmm. I wish I asked for more recs when I was there because I definitely had professors who I was close with and offered but it was so long ago. I want Yale so badly though (who doesn't?) and I know my application can use all the help it can get.

Yale knows it's hard - especially for people who've been out of school for, say, 3+ years - to get two academic recs, but it's important to put yourself in the position of Asha and/or profs reading your application: it's a small school, with small classes; you have to write two relatively substantial, relatively academic papers while you're there; professors as decision-makers means they're looking for RAs/TAs/co-authors/just generally people they want to have in class. Knowing that you can handle and excel at the type of work that will be expected of you, and that you'll take advantage of the opportunities available, are big priorities. To be blunt: professors trust professors. At least, more than they do your average post-undergrad employer.

So, if you *really* can't find a 2nd academic rec, then at least make sure your other recs are emphasizing skills and qualities you possess that are academic in nature (critical thinking, the ability to synthesize, the ability to see big-picture, writing, etc.). That way, it's easier to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

But really. I promise. Two academic letters. They're a good idea. It's worth it to expend the effort to reach out to those professors you used to be close with, and refresh their memories about why you're so awesome. :)

Okay. Thanks for the advice... Embarking on a trip down memory lane by looking through my undergrad transcript and going to start e-mailing some old profs. I was pretty active in all of my classes, most of which put a lot of emphasis on writing (polisci/journalism). Hopefully all of my profs didn't forget about me. :?

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Just saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGn3-RW8Ajk for the first time. I know its for the undergrad but it made me want to go to Yale so much. A little long but very nicely done.

dot

Postby dot » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:37 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Just saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGn3-RW8Ajk for the first time. I know its for the undergrad but it made me want to go to Yale so much. A little long but very nicely done.

ahahha I love Sam Tsui

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:37 pm

dot wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:Just saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGn3-RW8Ajk for the first time. I know its for the undergrad but it made me want to go to Yale so much. A little long but very nicely done.

ahahha I love Sam Tsui

ME too! :D

spek

Postby spek » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:06 pm

Anyone willing to take a look at my 250? I'd be happy to return the favor, though it seems like everyone else has already submitted :p. PM if interested! :)

t.o.o

Postby t.o.o » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Long time lurker with a question about the work and activities section. I'm an international applicant who did undergrad here but because I didn't have a work permit/appropriate work visa I was unable to work during undergrad. I did odd jobs on the side (babysitting, tutoring) for extra cash but obviously couldn't do anything official. Should I make a note about this on the app? I'm concerned that not having anything for part b will look bad. Alternatively, should I include unpaid internships I did in this section?

Thanks!

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:53 pm

t.o.o wrote:Long time lurker with a question about the work and activities section. I'm an international applicant who did undergrad here but because I didn't have a work permit/appropriate work visa I was unable to work during undergrad. I did odd jobs on the side (babysitting, tutoring) for extra cash but obviously couldn't do anything official. Should I make a note about this on the app? I'm concerned that not having anything for part b will look bad. Alternatively, should I include unpaid internships I did in this section?

Thanks!

I was told unpaid internships can go in part b.

Not sure about including the other stuff, but I do know that Yale doesn't like resumes longer than one page, so I'd imagine the less is more philosophy applies here as well. If you don't have a ton of other stuff, it might be worth adding a line or two about it, though.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:25 pm

It seems odd to put unpaid work in a section specifically termed "self-support." I think you should just put your unpaid internships in part c and a brief sentence about your visa status in b. As long as you have experience in general, I don't think they expect you to necessarily have worked for pay.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Checking in. I feel like I've at least given myself a realistic shot at admission with my numbers.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”