Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kulshan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:53 pm

annyong wrote:Thanks for getting an answer kulshan! So I guess I'll be sending them an email with name/location/graduation year, but think they need anything else - like GPA or class rank? How was it on the actual application?


I did include GPA. I doubt they care, but it couldn't hurt.

yoiav
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yoiav » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Interesting -- went back to look at my submitted app, and it looks like the high school info section was already there (and I filled it out).


which number question?

User avatar
annyong
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby annyong » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Well Yale is either reading my mind or TLS. They just tweeted: "You don't need to include GPA or class rank for high school on either your flex app or in your update."

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Interesting -- went back to look at my submitted app, and it looks like the high school info section was already there (and I filled it out).


Well if I remember correctly, I think we decided even though LSAC said it was an error that it was best to just leave it and over-inform than to erase it. I just went back and the information is on my first 4 apps, and then disappears from the rest. I think it got lost for me when LSAC re-set after all the auto-fill issues. I didn't notice it had gone missing, because I don't think I thought about it again after that initial discussion. That's probably why its on yours HP.

And of course, I already emailed them with all the information copied from the initial ones, including rank/GPA. Oops. Oh well, I guess this just proves its a diversity/background thing, not a judgement of your high school performance thing.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:27 pm

yoiav wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:Interesting -- went back to look at my submitted app, and it looks like the high school info section was already there (and I filled it out).


which number question?


Hmm, don't remember. But when I download the application PDF, it's under the Education continued section.

For High School:
Country
State
Start Date
End Date
Degree Date
City
Major
Rank
GPA
Degree

So of course, not all of that is applicable.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Oooo! I got the form message received email, remembered with all the links that I love Asha's blogs, and thought I'd click through (link broken for anyone else?). Anyhow, I persevered in my pursuit of some fall humor to further distract from my dissertation, and found that she had posted a new blog last week. And guess who stars in it.....

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... t-lie.aspx

Yes, TLS, yes. I remember this discussion. And I am very happy that next time it comes up, I now have somewhere to direct people to back up my opinion. :)
Last edited by MumofCad on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bumblebeebuzz
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bumblebeebuzz » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:36 pm

addy11 wrote:+1 to the above

Anyone (who hasn't yet applied) get the big unsolicited packet in the mail? I wasn't considering applying, but they just said so many nice things and repeatedly requested that I apply. FWIW I'm not URM but it is diversity related. Is this rare and something I should consider? I mean, I'm flattered that they even contacted me.

I really didn't (don't) think I had any sort of shot...


I just received a big packet in the mail too...definitely very very surprised.

User avatar
jetissent
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jetissent » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:39 pm

bumblebeebuzz wrote:
addy11 wrote:+1 to the above

Anyone (who hasn't yet applied) get the big unsolicited packet in the mail? I wasn't considering applying, but they just said so many nice things and repeatedly requested that I apply. FWIW I'm not URM but it is diversity related. Is this rare and something I should consider? I mean, I'm flattered that they even contacted me.

I really didn't (don't) think I had any sort of shot...


I just received a big packet in the mail too...definitely very very surprised.


+1

but certainly a nice surprise! :)

caminante
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby caminante » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:21 pm

bumblebeebuzz wrote:
addy11 wrote:+1 to the above

Anyone (who hasn't yet applied) get the big unsolicited packet in the mail? I wasn't considering applying, but they just said so many nice things and repeatedly requested that I apply. FWIW I'm not URM but it is diversity related. Is this rare and something I should consider? I mean, I'm flattered that they even contacted me.

I really didn't (don't) think I had any sort of shot...


I just received a big packet in the mail too...definitely very very surprised.
[quote="bumblebeebuzz"]

Would you mind elaborating on how it is diversity-related but not URM-related? How would they recognize you as being diverse otherwise? Just curious.

bumblebeebuzz
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bumblebeebuzz » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:27 pm

caminante wrote:
bumblebeebuzz wrote:
addy11 wrote:+1 to the above

Anyone (who hasn't yet applied) get the big unsolicited packet in the mail? I wasn't considering applying, but they just said so many nice things and repeatedly requested that I apply. FWIW I'm not URM but it is diversity related. Is this rare and something I should consider? I mean, I'm flattered that they even contacted me.

I really didn't (don't) think I had any sort of shot...


I just received a big packet in the mail too...definitely very very surprised.
bumblebeebuzz wrote:
Would you mind elaborating on how it is diversity-related but not URM-related? How would they recognize you as being diverse otherwise? Just curious.


The letter encourages us to explore the Asian Pacific American Law Students Association, Black Law Students Association, Latino Law Students Association, Middle Eastern Law Students Association etc. etc at Yale. I'm not a URM either but technically fit into one of the several groups they listed (thus diversity-related but not URM-related).

EDIT: They also include several personal statements and short essays from international/minority applicants.

User avatar
jetissent
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jetissent » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:30 pm

caminante wrote:
bumblebeebuzz wrote:
addy11 wrote:+1 to the above

Anyone (who hasn't yet applied) get the big unsolicited packet in the mail? I wasn't considering applying, but they just said so many nice things and repeatedly requested that I apply. FWIW I'm not URM but it is diversity related. Is this rare and something I should consider? I mean, I'm flattered that they even contacted me.

I really didn't (don't) think I had any sort of shot...


I just received a big packet in the mail too...definitely very very surprised.
bumblebeebuzz wrote:
Would you mind elaborating on how it is diversity-related but not URM-related? How would they recognize you as being diverse otherwise? Just curious.



It was also targeted to self-identified LGBT students.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby soj » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:04 pm

I hope I get one of those packages even though I obviously don't need any more convincing to apply.

caminante
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby caminante » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks for the info :) I was just wondering what other categories for diversity would be listed with the CRS info the schools receive. That all makes sense.

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Does it mean you'll take me Yale? The fact that you took the time out of your day to send me a view book and a letter encouraging me to apply must mean you might take me right?

please take me...

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Got the packet too. Yeah it's a diversity thing. Did anyone notice how TLS made the list in the enclosed packet?

Image

So good =).

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:49 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Does it mean you'll take me Yale? The fact that you took the time out of your day to send me a view book and a letter encouraging me to apply must mean you might take me right?

please take me...


It's a good sign.

It means you have something they're looking for and they will likely give your materials more than just a cursory review.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:51 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:Does it mean you'll take me Yale? The fact that you took the time out of your day to send me a view book and a letter encouraging me to apply must mean you might take me right?

please take me...


It's a good sign.

It means you have something they're looking for and they will likely give your materials more than just a cursory review.


Lol, not really.

User avatar
1212
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 1212 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:51 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Got the packet too. Yeah it's a diversity thing. Did anyone notice how TLS made the list in the enclosed packet?

Image

So good =).



I thought this was pretty funny/sadly true.

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:57 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:Does it mean you'll take me Yale? The fact that you took the time out of your day to send me a view book and a letter encouraging me to apply must mean you might take me right?

please take me...


It's a good sign.

It means you have something they're looking for and they will likely give your materials more than just a cursory review.


Lol, not really.


Haha yeah, not at all really.

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:17 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:Does it mean you'll take me Yale? The fact that you took the time out of your day to send me a view book and a letter encouraging me to apply must mean you might take me right?

please take me...


It's a good sign.

It means you have something they're looking for and they will likely give your materials more than just a cursory review.


Lol, not really.


Haha yeah, not at all really.


Not at all? Do you two know something that I don't?

I'll provide you a quote from the cover letter:

"We ask the CRS to give us the names of a small group of highly-qualified [type of diversity represented] applicants whose undergraduate grades and test scores suggest that they are individuals whose applications we would like to review fully. Our records indicate that you have not applied to Yale Law School. I write this letter to encourage you to do so."

No one should assume that these letters give them a leg up or that they imply anything close to a high probability of admission, but given the choice between the conjecture of the anonymous peanut gallery and the statement of the dean herself which explicitly contradicts this speculation, I think I'll stick with the latter.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:29 pm

i dont c how this is an explicit contradiction...in fact, let me clarify my statement....this isn't an contradiction,she just says the applications will be reviewed fully, that in no way contradicts what hawkeye's and finger's point is about how the waiver doesn't necessarily mean its a positive sign. In addition, every file is "reviewed fully", so she offers nothing new. It's not like on the Yale website it says, all applicants will given a cursory review, no, it says all applicants will be given a full review, just like it says in the email.....and if you dont believe the website, then what makes u believe a form email more?

In fact, what really stood out to me the most was the part where she said "our records indicate you have not yet applied to Yale Law" (perhaps she is trying to get more applicants?)...not the "reviewed fully" part

and besides, i am insulted that you called me "anonymous peanut gallery".....my name is Andy...next time its Andy's Peanut Gallery

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:44 pm

There were three parts to TheFriendlyBarber's point that were laughed off summarily:

1 - Good sign
2 - Something they're looking for
3 - More than cursory examination

#2 is stated explicitly several times throughout the letter. It's the reason they sent it, and it was not sent out to everyone (at least within my diversity "flavor," I know two people with competitive numbers who did not receive one. If Yale really wanted to boost their applications, these two would have been good targets for wooing).
#3 is made explicit in the part I quoted. And you're garbling the information in your response, Andy. We're talking about the conversation on the message board, not Asha's response in her letter re: what the website says. I think where we differ on the two posters is that you are reading something into their comments (perhaps legitimately) whereas I am approaching them literally like a LR problem.

In light of the latter two points and the unsolicited, targeted nature of the letter, I think it would be really obtuse at the worst and groundless at best to insist that the first is untrue. It's also difficult to convey the warmth of the letter by slicing it up into different parts (disclaimer: when I say "warmth" I deserve an eye-roll, but I really don't think it materially improves my chances of getting in).

Anyway, OP - anyone else: who the hell knows how your chances stack up against the 7%, but don't think this means nothing. YLS is a once in a lifetime educational opportunity, and if this letter excited you to apply while you wouldn't have before (as it did for me), then use that to inspire yourself and I wish you the best of luck.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:58 pm

addy11 wrote:There were three parts to TheFriendlyBarber's point that were laughed off summarily:

1 - Good sign this is what we r debating
2 - Something they're looking for incorrect, from the letter it states that the reason they sent it was because 1) had high grades n lsat score, and 2) had not yet applied to Yale....this shouldnt be treated as anything special...everybody applying to yale has high scores and there is no indication that yale actually looked at and selected email recipients on anything more than just pure scores and the fact that they hadnt applied yet...in other words, those that recieved this email werent "targeted" rather, they just had high scores and hadnt applied yet..if u define this as targeted then fine, but targeted in my book means that they at least gave the person a glance...and from the email, theres no indication yale looked at anythign other than the persons number and the fact he/she hadnt applied yet
3 - More than cursory examination as i mentioned before, Yale offers FULL review to everybody that applies, not just those that get this email....it says so on the Yale website...and if you dont believe the website, then, once again i argue, whats to say u believe this form email? in fact, this email is basically just quoting what it says on the website

#2 is stated explicitly several times throughout the letter. It's the reason they sent it, and it was not sent out to everyone.
#3 is made explicit in the part I quoted.

In light of the latter two and the unsolicited, targeted nature of the letter, I think it would be really obtuse at the worst and groundless at best to insist that the first is absolutely untrue.

Anyway, OP - anyone else: who the hell knows how your chances stack up against the 7%, but don't think this means nothing. YLS is a once in a lifetime educational opportunity, and if this excited you to apply while you wouldn't have before (as it did for me), then use that and good luck.


i do agree with addy that u should apply to yale however...besides..getting this waiver certainly isnt a bad sign..im just not confident that u should take it as a good sign

addy11
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:09 pm

I refer you to my above post. I edited it in response to your own editing.

A few additions:

thederangedwang wrote:1 - Good sign this is what we r debating


I still am not convinced that this packet is at best neutral.

thederangedwang wrote:2 - Something they're looking for incorrect, from the letter it states that the reason they sent it was because 1) had high grades n lsat score, and 2) had not yet applied to Yale....this shouldnt be treated as anything special...everybody applying to yale has high scores and there is no indication that yale actually looked at and selected email recipients on anything more than just pure scores and the fact that they hadnt applied yet...in other words, those that recieved this email werent "targeted" rather, they just had high scores and hadnt applied yet..if u define this as targeted then fine, but targeted in my book means that they at least gave the person a glance...and from the email, theres no indication yale looked at anythign other than the persons number and the fact he/she hadnt applied yet


Dude, the letter makes dozens of references to diversity status. It is the damn point. The scores establish candidacy and that is why within these groups people with lower scores were not sent them. Is it really that inconceivable that Yale would want to foster diversity? I'm guessing you did not get this letter, mostly because you keep referring to it as an email and because the fact that it was sent to recruit minority students is so overwhelmingly obvious.

thederangedwang wrote:3 - More than cursory examination as i mentioned before, Yale offers FULL review to everybody that applies, not just those that get this email....it says so on the Yale website...and if you dont believe the website, then, once again i argue, whats to say u believe this form email? in fact, this email is basically just quoting what it says on the website


You are really missing the point here. I was disagreeing with anyone who said that the dean would not give an application a full review. Nowhere did I say that this letter thereby gives the person an extra full review.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:24 pm

You all are having a great theoretical discussion, but I will say again, the only relevant thing is that it is YALE. YALE LAW. If you don't apply, with a fee waiver no less.....well you almost certainly are a reject unworthy of admittance anyhow ;)

No, but seriously, there are only 2 reasons I can think of to have not applied already 1) you are still working on applying or 2) you don't think you qualify and thus had not planned to apply. If 1, congratulations, you just saved yourself some money when you are ready to submit. If 2, Yale has just told you that you are wrong, congratulations, you now have a chance to go Yale Law. Either way, you should be doing a happy dance and working on submission. (disclaimer: clearly I have spoken with far too many people who recently graduated from or are attending Yale Law, sigh, must resolve to stop having conversations with them about law school until at least April).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: curry4bfast, cyclawps, Dcc617, erinkh, ginawwhan, Google [Bot], henryyou, Lawl_Schoolz, zeglo and 34 guests