Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
addy11

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby addy11 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:59 pm

+1 to the above

Anyone (who hasn't yet applied) get the big unsolicited packet in the mail? I wasn't considering applying, but they just said so many nice things and repeatedly requested that I apply. FWIW I'm not URM but it is diversity related. Is this rare and something I should consider? I mean, I'm flattered that they even contacted me.

I really didn't (don't) think I had any sort of shot...

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:35 pm

1212 wrote:Is it generally safe to say that receiving encouragement to apply and fee waiver application in the mail is little more than YP/getting up the hopes of unsuspecting applicants so they can be mercilessly crushed?

Yale doesn't need to yield protect in the least. They have the best yield of anyone. Almost everyone who gets in accepts, so they wouldn't waste their time with such a thing. If I were you, I would apply. I don't know how much you can read into it, but I would take it to mean they think you are in the running, and its YALE. Who doesn't apply that is in the running? I repeat, its YALE.

(and this goes for the other poster too)
Last edited by MumofCad on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Did y'all see the tweet about high school info? I went back to look at my app and didn't see any section for that. Do you think I should send it to them? Or email to ask?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:42 pm

kulshan wrote:Did y'all see the tweet about high school info? I went back to look at my app and didn't see any section for that. Do you think I should send it to them? Or email to ask?

I am assuming that it was in that drop down menu that we were earlier told by LSAC was a mistake to have in the first place. They probably told Yale it was where that should go. I noticed that U Chicago or one of the other schools I applied to wanted it as well, but they had a separate place for it on the application to actually fill in. Sigh. Another common app miscommunication it seems.

I refuse to tweet to them again this cycle. But if you haven't thus far, just reply to their tweet asking if applicants should forward the information if they didn't provide it originally.

annyong

Postby annyong » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:52 pm

I saw the tweet last night and wasn't sure what to do. I thought about emailing them, I don't remember filling out any high school section on the app - but I also have already gone complete so I was conflicted :/

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:54 pm

MumofCad wrote:
kulshan wrote:Did y'all see the tweet about high school info? I went back to look at my app and didn't see any section for that. Do you think I should send it to them? Or email to ask?

I am assuming that it was in that drop down menu that we were earlier told by LSAC was a mistake to have in the first place. They probably told Yale it was where that should go. I noticed that U Chicago or one of the other schools I applied to wanted it as well, but they had a separate place for it on the application to actually fill in. Sigh. Another common app miscommunication it seems.

I refuse to tweet to them again this cycle. But if you haven't thus far, just reply to their tweet asking if applicants should forward the information if they didn't provide it originally.

Just got a twitter account so that I could ask them. I'll post the response here in case others have the same issue.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:36 pm

MumofCad wrote:I am assuming that it was in that drop down menu that we were earlier told by LSAC was a mistake to have in the first place. They probably told Yale it was where that should go. I noticed that U Chicago or one of the other schools I applied to wanted it as well, but they had a separate place for it on the application to actually fill in. Sigh. Another common app miscommunication it seems.

I haven't submitted yet, but I just filled my high school info in the Education section. It's one of the options under "List ALL educational institutions attended." Is this the drop down menu you're talking about, MumofCad?

xkcd09

Postby xkcd09 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:42 pm

sigh.... When I saw "ALL educational institutions" I assumed college and beyond. Do you think YLS'll hold that against those of us who left out high school?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Curiouscat - Yes - this is the one that earlier LSAC said was a mistake in another app

And no, YLS won't hold it against you. You are not alone. And really, more people would have put it in if LSAC hadn't earlier clarified it was a mistake.

And thanks kulshan! If they really want it, I am sure they will have us all just email it in to be added to our files :)

doppelganger

Postby doppelganger » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:18 pm

kulshan wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

Just got a twitter account so that I could ask them. I'll post the response here in case others have the same issue.

Thank you for taking one for the team! :mrgreen: I am now very nervous that they think I am hiding something or was simply not careful/thorough.

PriOSky

Postby PriOSky » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Last edited by PriOSky on Thu May 23, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:37 pm

PriOSky wrote:For activities and work, should we provide estimated hours/week in addition to dates?

yes..it says it on the application

Schola

Postby Schola » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:48 pm

xkcd09 wrote:sigh.... When I saw "ALL educational institutions" I assumed college and beyond. Do you think YLS'll hold that against those of us who left out high school?

I forgot to put my pre-school... But when I went to the drop-down menu for education institutions on the LSAC website, they didn't seem to have a category for pre-school, or anything before undergrad for that matter... Does this warrant an addendum?

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:10 pm

Schola wrote:
xkcd09 wrote:sigh.... When I saw "ALL educational institutions" I assumed college and beyond. Do you think YLS'll hold that against those of us who left out high school?

I forgot to put my pre-school... But when I went to the drop-down menu for education institutions on the LSAC website, they didn't seem to have a category for pre-school, or anything before undergrad for that matter... Does this warrant an addendum?

I think you should send them an email. Pre-school info is very important for the admission process

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:08 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
Schola wrote:

I think you should send them an email. Pre-school info is very important for the admission process

Stop.

spek

Postby spek » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:12 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:
Schola wrote:

Stop.

+1

Evidently Yale does care about high school info.

curiouscat

Postby curiouscat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:16 am

spek wrote:Evidently Yale does care about high school info.

Out of curiosity - does anyone know why? I mean, does HS info factor into admissions in any way?

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:14 am

Wait, so what do we do if we submitted and didn't include hs info?

tonton

Postby tonton » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:07 am

Did anyone get a fee waiver from Yale, or does anyone know of anyone who got a fee waiver from Yale?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:44 am

tonton wrote:Did anyone get a fee waiver from Yale, or does anyone know of anyone who got a fee waiver from Yale?

They are only awarded for need-based issues. You have to fill out a special form or they seem to have targeted a few diverse candidates with them in a mailer. Otherwise, they don't offer them for merit at HYS.

As for the high school info, I don't think they care in terms of how you did, but they are using it to evaluate 1) Where you are from (presumably for diversity) and 2) What type of school you went too - private prep? public?

Remember, not everyone is still going to be a resident of where they are from since a majority are now 1 year out of UG. I think this helps them get a feel for you and adds another piece of information to their overall analysis of where you came from/what your prep was for college, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks to kulshan, we'll all know today how we should go about correcting it. If they tweeted, that means at the very least a large minority is all in the same boat (I know I am). There are going to be tons of a reasons for Yale to ding us, I highly doubt that this is one of them, and all will be solved by week's end. Nothing to worry about.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:43 am

Anyone can email yale admissions to ask for a fee waiver form. It's pretty standard and doesn't differ much from Stanford's, Penn's, Harvard's, etc. You have to list your income over the past 12 months, that of your spouse, that of your parents, stocks/bonds etc.

The fee waiver "invitation" itself said that you could qualify if you have a low paying job or have difficult financial circumstances. They left it open (meaning these don't seem to be the only two criteria), but obviously it's Yale so I don't think there are any people who get them due to exceptional merit.

Also, you submit the fee waiver application with the actual application, and they can always tell you that you have not been approved. In that case, you can just decide then whether the $91 is worth it, and you don't have much to lose.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:38 pm

From twitter: "Send an update with your high school info to admissions.law@yale.edu."

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Interesting -- went back to look at my submitted app, and it looks like the high school info section was already there (and I filled it out).

annyong

Postby annyong » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks for getting an answer kulshan! So I guess I'll be sending them an email with name/location/graduation year, but think they need anything else - like GPA or class rank? How was it on the actual application?

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:47 pm

It was the same as all the other schools that didn't have their own special thing for high school. I didn't remember my class rank or gpa so I left those out since they were optional.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”