Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Curious1

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Curious1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:12 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
MumofCad wrote:You should always just tell the truth. I wrote a single sentence that I had friends and family, as well as a pre-law adviser from the undergraduate university proof my essays. Its not going to hurt you.

If it's not going to be a factor (however tiny) in making admissions decisions, why would they ask the question?

By the way, I did have a friend proofread my essay, so I'll go change my answer because I don't think they expect you to do it all by yourself, but if you were one of those people who paid thousands of dollars on LSAT prep and admissions consulting, then I definitely think it WILL hurt you.

Yes, that's why they ask, because they want to know about that sort of thing. I meant that saying family members or what not proof read your essays is not going to hurt you, which is the question he asked about. As for whether hiring a private consultant for that question will "hurt" you - not per se but it gives them full information to evaluate your application. If your PS reads like it should be in the New Yorker, but you generally got B-s in your college lit courses, they might take that into consideration. Whether its "hurting" you or just giving them an accurate assessment of your capabilities is up for you to decide I suppose (though I would tend to the latter).

Plus, you should NEVER EVER lie on a law school app. Unless you enjoy paying potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars on an education you may then not be able to use. Really....over whether you took a Kaplan course? Think about it.

If you got B's in your college lit courses, you have no business applying to Yale...

We're talking about people with near perfect GPA's and near perfect LSATs, where the tiniest distinction could get your app thrown out. I think the question only gives you a chance to handicap yourself.

Personally, if I had tens of thousands of dollars to hire admissions consultants and/or LSAT prep, I would feel pretty stupid right now. On one hand, if I admit it I might be rejected, on the other, if I lie about it I might fail the bar. Because these consulting companies usually respect the privacy of their clients (I don't believe the bar association can ask them if you even hired them), the question will only hurt honest applicants. It's really a terrible decision on their part.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:15 pm

BTW I just pulled up the app and the section is called "Optional Information", yet every question is mandatory...I can only assume this means you don't HAVE to provide details. This also leads me to believe that they're collecting information for demographic purposes only and it will have no impact on your chances unless you were stupid enough to list the consulting companies you worked with and the LSAT courses you took.

So if you paid lots of money on LSAT prep/admissions consulting, just check yes, but don't go into detail.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:16 am

I actually like the new questions because they level the playing field.

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:14 pm

/1st problems.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:25 pm

I heard it's snowing in New Haven! Brrrr :(

Doesn't make me want to go to Yale any less, though.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:31 pm

soj wrote:I heard it's snowing in New Haven! Brrrr :(
Doesn't make me want to go to Yale any less, though.
Soj, you badass!

tamarind49

Postby tamarind49 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Just submitted my app to Yale today! Does Yale have a status checker? I wonder when I'll go "complete" and UR. Nervous and exciting!

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:28 pm

how did u guys approach the activities and work attachment format wise?

like did u just do

A) Student Council Rep (XXX-XXX)

B) Waitress at XXX (XXX-XXX)

or did u guys make it all fancy kinda like a resume?

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:30 pm

I did mine sort of like a resume.

yoiav

Postby yoiav » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:32 pm

thederangedwang wrote:how did u guys approach the activities and work attachment format wise?

like did u just do

A) 1. project x with a brief desc.
2. "
3. "
B) 1. job x with a brief desc.

C) short paragraph descr activities

annyong

Postby annyong » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:33 pm

thederangedwang wrote:how did u guys approach the activities and work attachment format wise?

like did u just do

Since there wasn't really any specific info, I just listed it out kind of like you have above, and I included brief explanatory information. I emphasized somewhat different aspects than what is on my resume, though its kind of the same.

I was pretty unsure, but since it's Yale, I figured redundant information > not enough :?

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:36 pm

thanks for all the responses, asha kinda talked about it in her blog post i just found out

"You must answer Question 5a-c (honors, extracurriculars, employment during school), even if you are including a resume. Please. We won't complete your application without these answers. Many of you spend a lot of time (based on the questions we get in the office) wondering whether to answer these in bullet format, or in a little spreadsheet, or some other manner. Really, it just needs to be readable. Bullets are fine. If there is some honor or activity that isn't self-explanatory or on which you feel you need to elaborate further, a short narrative is OK. "

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:21 pm

App received. Baby steps!

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:23 pm

kulshan wrote:App received. Baby steps!

Did you get a status checker then?

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:24 pm

No checker, just this:

Dear X,
We have received notification from LSAC that you have submitted an application to Yale Law School. In order to make application processing as efficient as possible, we have asked LSAC to hold applications that do not meet certain criteria for completeness.

- If your LSDAS report is complete (meaning it contains an LSAT score, transcripts from the undergraduate schools which you attended, and at least two letters of recommendation), we should receive your application and LSDAS report from LSAC in a week and we will begin processing your application at that time.

- If your LSDAS report is missing only two letters of recommendation, we will receive your application once two letters are on file with LSAC or after December 1, whichever comes sooner. We will begin processing your application as soon as we receive it from LSAC.

- If your LSDAS report is missing either an LSAT score or undergraduate transcript, we will receive your application once both of these items are on file with LSAC or after January 1, whichever comes sooner. We will begin processing your application as soon as we receive it from LSAC.

We will contact you by email when your application is complete and ready for review. In the meantime, you can learn more about the Law School and the admissions process by visiting our Admissions Blog at http://www.law.yale.edu/203blog. You may also be interested in our Student Perspectives Blog, at http://www.law.yale.edu/studentperspectives, which offers a glimpse of the various aspects of student life at Yale.

We thank you for your application and appreciate your interest in Yale Law School.

Yale Law School Office of Admissions
http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions

AspiringAcademic

Postby AspiringAcademic » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:30 pm

MumofCad wrote:
kulshan wrote:App received. Baby steps!

Did you get a status checker then?

I got an email saying:
"We have received notification from LSAC that you have submitted an application to Yale Law School."

It then went on to say that, if the application was not complete, nothing would happen until it was and, if the application was complete, they would figure that out in a week or so and let me know.

Edit: Cross post. Oops!
Last edited by AspiringAcademic on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:32 pm

kulshan wrote:No checker, just this:

Dear X,
We have received notification from LSAC that you have submitted an application to Yale Law School. In order to make application processing as efficient as possible, we have asked LSAC to hold applications that do not meet certain criteria for completeness.

- If your LSDAS report is complete (meaning it contains an LSAT score, transcripts from the undergraduate schools which you attended, and at least two letters of recommendation), we should receive your application and LSDAS report from LSAC in a week and we will begin processing your application at that time.

- If your LSDAS report is missing only two letters of recommendation, we will receive your application once two letters are on file with LSAC or after December 1, whichever comes sooner. We will begin processing your application as soon as we receive it from LSAC.

- If your LSDAS report is missing either an LSAT score or undergraduate transcript, we will receive your application once both of these items are on file with LSAC or after January 1, whichever comes sooner. We will begin processing your application as soon as we receive it from LSAC.

We will contact you by email when your application is complete and ready for review. In the meantime, you can learn more about the Law School and the admissions process by visiting our Admissions Blog at http://www.law.yale.edu/203blog. You may also be interested in our Student Perspectives Blog, at http://www.law.yale.edu/studentperspectives, which offers a glimpse of the various aspects of student life at Yale.

We thank you for your application and appreciate your interest in Yale Law School.

Yale Law School Office of Admissions

Interesting. When did you submit? I can't remember getting one of these, but I'm sure I'm complete, so I'll just have to wait and see. Sounds like no status checker will be forthcoming. I'm fine with that since none seem to be very informative. I'd rather just be notified by email of status changes.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:33 pm

I got the email as well. It's not exactly an 'app received' email... but it's close enough that I'll change my LSN.

igelchen

Postby igelchen » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:33 pm

just got it as well. :>
Last edited by igelchen on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:38 pm

I think I submitted one of the very first apps, just a few hours after it became available.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:23 pm

Yeah I got that email today too, and I submitted last week.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:30 pm

Did y'all disclose speeding tickets on this app? I just remembered that I got one in 2007. Do they care?

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:04 pm

You need to send in a correction asap. Yes you must disclose. I would also write a brief apology note regarding the oversight.

Mustapha.Mond

Postby Mustapha.Mond » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:04 am

kulshan wrote:Did y'all disclose speeding tickets on this app? I just remembered that I got one in 2007. Do they care?

As long as the question has not changed since I submitted my application last week, the question should read: "Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a felony or misdemeanor or are there any criminal charges pending against you at the present time?"

I believe that if your speeding ticket was a simple traffic infraction - many speeding tickets are not misdemeanors - then you do not have to disclose this on the application. If, however, your speeding ticket was a misdemeanor - reckless driving, for example, may be a misdemeanor in some states - then you must disclose it on the application. My best guess would be that generally, speeding tickets will be simple infractions that do not have to be disclosed.

mjitbswyd

Postby mjitbswyd » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:08 am

Received 12 hours ago:

Dear Your Eminence,
Your application for admission to Yale Law School is complete. We will communicate with you again when a decision has been reached.

Because the entire faculty are involved in reviewing applications, our review process naturally takes longer than that of most schools. The majority of our decisions are made in February, March, and April. We ask that you please do not contact the Admissions Office to inquire about the status of your application; frequent phone and email inquiries delay consideration of applications.

Thank you for your interest in Yale. We look forward to reviewing your application.

Yale Law School Admissions Office

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”