Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kulshan

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kulshan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Looks like the typical WL day is 4/15, but last year they went out 4/08. The earlier the better!

southwick

Postby southwick » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:26 pm

Just got the admit call. Submitted first week of February. 175/3.99. Hope others get good news!

yoiav

Postby yoiav » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:09 pm

any "assumed" wl'ers write an LOCI?

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:56 am

I'm sorry but what does the LOCI stand for?

adam1

Postby adam1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:58 am

a.psu wrote:I'm sorry but what does the LOCI stand for?

Letter of Continued Interest. Yeah, I'll be working on one shortly for sure.

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Ok, where would you send it? I definitely need to do one of those. I was afraid to do one before and have it count against me because they didn't ask for it or something.

adam1

Postby adam1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:05 pm

a.psu wrote:Ok, where would you send it? I definitely need to do one of those. I was afraid to do one before and have it count against me because they didn't ask for it or something.

To the admissions office. I don't want to necessarily advise you to send one. It's something people debate here a lot, whether to send one or not and when to do so. The consensus is generally to send one after being waitlisted, especially if you have something to add to your application.

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:11 pm

adam1 wrote:
a.psu wrote:Ok, where would you send it? I definitely need to do one of those. I was afraid to do one before and have it count against me because they didn't ask for it or something.

To the admissions office. I don't want to necessarily advise you to send one. It's something people debate here a lot, whether to send one or not and when to do so. The consensus is generally to send one after being waitlisted, especially if you have something to add to your application.

Ok, thank you for the info anyways!

soj

Postby soj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:13 pm

The admissions blog doesn't mention sending LOCIs before decisions, but it does say that a LOCI can be helpful after you're waitlisted and that just one LOCI is enough.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:45 pm

soj wrote:The admissions blog doesn't mention sending LOCIs before decisions, but it does say that a LOCI can be helpful after you're waitlisted and that just one LOCI is enough.

Do you have a link to this particular blog post?

soj

Postby soj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:46 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
soj wrote:The admissions blog doesn't mention sending LOCIs before decisions, but it does say that a LOCI can be helpful after you're waitlisted and that just one LOCI is enough.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... alker.aspx

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:10 pm

soj wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Hmm, just noticed this bit from that post: "6. Deferrals. We don't offer them. For anything. Punto. Again, we are trying to fill a spot for this fall. Even if you get offered a Rhodes or Marshall or some other amazing opportunity, your only choice is to turn down the other opportunity or withdraw and reapply. My advice to you, if you do get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that will prevent you from enrolling this fall, is to take it -- you can always reapply, and your application will be richer for your experience. (If you do turn down a Rhodes or Marshall to stay on the wait list, please send an email to 203blog@yale.edu with your name, LSAC number, and "My answer to the quiz is (c)" in the subject line -- thanks!)"

That means that if I get waitlisted, I will just have to withdraw because I'm committed to deferring at this point (I told my PhD program I'd definitely stay next year). I guess Yale better admit me outright pretty soon if they want a piece of this.

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:19 pm

kulshan wrote:
soj wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

Hmm, just noticed this bit from that post: "6. Deferrals. We don't offer them. For anything. Punto. Again, we are trying to fill a spot for this fall. Even if you get offered a Rhodes or Marshall or some other amazing opportunity, your only choice is to turn down the other opportunity or withdraw and reapply. My advice to you, if you do get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that will prevent you from enrolling this fall, is to take it -- you can always reapply, and your application will be richer for your experience. (If you do turn down a Rhodes or Marshall to stay on the wait list, please send an email to 203blog@yale.edu with your name, LSAC number, and "My answer to the quiz is (c)" in the subject line -- thanks!)"

That means that if I get waitlisted, I will just have to withdraw because I'm committed to deferring at this point (I told my PhD program I'd definitely stay next year). I guess Yale better admit me outright pretty soon if they want a piece of this.

It sounds like this person was admitted first but thought it was relevant for you: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=180050

Of course don't know their situation but still interesting.

whenwin

Postby whenwin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:22 pm

kulshan wrote:
soj wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

You should email them. Be sure to include the phrase "if you want a piece of this." :wink:

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:24 pm

whenwin wrote:You should email them. Be sure to include the phrase "if you want a piece of this." :wink:

"Hey baby. Don't pretend like you don't want AALLLL of this."

roguewave19

Postby roguewave19 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:29 pm

kulshan wrote:
soj wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

I think they do offer deferrals, though.

That blog is from 2009. If you look at the admissions website (http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/admissions.htm) and the class profile in the left sidebar, you'll see that their statistics take into account deferrals from the year before and the current year. I don't know when they started allowing deferrals, but it seems that they do now.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:32 pm

They do offer deferrals, but not to people who are waitlisted because they are trying to fill a spot in next year's class. I suppose if I do get waitlisted, I'll call or email just to make sure, though.

roguewave19

Postby roguewave19 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:51 pm

kulshan wrote:They do offer deferrals, but not to people who are waitlisted because they are trying to fill a spot in next year's class. I suppose if I do get waitlisted, I'll call or email just to make sure, though.

Ah, I see.

wphr

Postby wphr » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:59 pm

got an admit call yesterday too

submit 2/15
complete 2/24
accepted 4/4

hope this helps and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!

a.psu

Postby a.psu » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Congrats!!

whenwin

Postby whenwin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Twit wrote:
gimelstein315 wrote:What's the consensus regarding those of us who've heard nothing but silence since December or before? Inevitable waitlist? Potentially just a realllllly long faculty review? Any admits in previous years who submitted early and received their news in April?

My guess: we got 11's in FR.

Looking over last year's LSN results, about half of the early (pre 1/1) applicants who heard in April were rejected and the other half waitlisted, with a smattering of acceptances. About half of the waitlisters (again, just glancing over the results) went on to be accepted.

Edit: Better numbers:
In 2011
According to the LSN stats, which probably have some selection bias, there was a wave of decisions 4/8-4/14 (most of which came on 4/8), during which 9 early submitters (pre-New Years) heard back; 1 was rejected and 8 were waitlisted; 2 of the WL's eventually got in.

In 2010
The final wave came 4/12-4/19 (the bulk being on 4/15), during which 17 early submitters heard back; 7 were rejected, 10 were waitlisted. None of the WL's are marked as being later acceptances.

In summary: pray for a WL, but it's likely that the class is largely put together.

From Ask Asha: "Most who receive an 11 (two 4s and a 3) are admitted."
Those numbers above are pretty bleak, so it doesn't seem to follow that everyone still waiting got 11s. I'd guess that they're holding on to some, if not all, of the 10s as well. My speculation is that they're deciding 1) how many 11s they can take right now and 2) which of the 11s they're going to take. Then the WL is filled with any remaining 11s, and possibly some 10s. The rest of the 10s will be rejected. This is my guess. If accurate I'd like a gold star please, thanks. Or an acceptance.

adam1

Postby adam1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:31 pm

whenwin wrote:
Twit wrote:
gimelstein315 wrote:What's the consensus regarding those of us who've heard nothing but silence since December or before? Inevitable waitlist? Potentially just a realllllly long faculty review? Any admits in previous years who submitted early and received their news in April?

My guess: we got 11's in FR.

Looking over last year's LSN results, about half of the early (pre 1/1) applicants who heard in April were rejected and the other half waitlisted, with a smattering of acceptances. About half of the waitlisters (again, just glancing over the results) went on to be accepted.

Edit: Better numbers:
In 2011
According to the LSN stats, which probably have some selection bias, there was a wave of decisions 4/8-4/14 (most of which came on 4/8), during which 9 early submitters (pre-New Years) heard back; 1 was rejected and 8 were waitlisted; 2 of the WL's eventually got in.

In 2010
The final wave came 4/12-4/19 (the bulk being on 4/15), during which 17 early submitters heard back; 7 were rejected, 10 were waitlisted. None of the WL's are marked as being later acceptances.

In summary: pray for a WL, but it's likely that the class is largely put together.

From Ask Asha: "Most who receive an 11 (two 4s and a 3) are admitted."
Those numbers above are pretty bleak, so it doesn't seem to follow that everyone still waiting got 11s. I'd guess that they're holding on to some, if not all, of the 10s as well. My speculation is that they're deciding 1) how many 11s they can take right now and 2) which of the 11s they're going to take. Then the WL is filled with any remaining 11s, and possibly some 10s. The rest of the 10s will be rejected. This is my guess. If accurate I'd like a gold star please, thanks. Or an acceptance.

Where's the blog about the FR scoring and all that jazz? Anybody?

poultry

Postby poultry » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Looking over last year's LSN results, about half of the early (pre 1/1) applicants who heard in April were rejected and the other half waitlisted, with a smattering of acceptances. [b]About half of the waitlisters (again, just glancing over the results) went on to be accepted.[/b]

Where does that "half of the waitlisters went to to be accepted" come from? It's a bit too optimistic...Based on LSN, I didn't see too much movement on their WL..

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:14 pm

when can we expect the last wave of dings? did anyone that applied on march 1 get an acceptance/denial/waitlist?

LSAC Trollop

Postby LSAC Trollop » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Geneva wrote:when can we expect the last wave of dings? did anyone that applied on march 1 get an acceptance/denial/waitlist?

It looks like jd5 is the only person we know of with a March complete date who received a decision (acceptance).

I myself have a March complete date and am still waiting. This may be fallacious reasoning, but I'm expecting either a straight-up acceptance or a rejection. I would be very surprised by a waitlist because my application comes with a bit of a story. That is, I feel like they're either going to be picking up what I'm putting down, or they're just going to scoff and send my application to the great recycling plant in the sky.

In any case, it seems probable (but obviously not certain) that the final bloodbath will be either tomorrow or sometime next week.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”