Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gimelstein315
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby gimelstein315 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:18 am

What's the consensus regarding those of us who've heard nothing but silence since December or before? Inevitable waitlist? Potentially just a realllllly long faculty review? Any admits in previous years who submitted early and received their news in April?

Twit
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Twit » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:32 am

gimelstein315 wrote:What's the consensus regarding those of us who've heard nothing but silence since December or before? Inevitable waitlist? Potentially just a realllllly long faculty review? Any admits in previous years who submitted early and received their news in April?


My guess: we got 11's in FR.

Looking over last year's LSN results, about half of the early (pre 1/1) applicants who heard in April were rejected and the other half waitlisted, with a smattering of acceptances. About half of the waitlisters (again, just glancing over the results) went on to be accepted.

Edit: Better numbers:
In 2011
According to the LSN stats, which probably have some selection bias, there was a wave of decisions 4/8-4/14 (most of which came on 4/8), during which 9 early submitters (pre-New Years) heard back; 1 was rejected and 8 were waitlisted; 2 of the WL's eventually got in.

In 2010
The final wave came 4/12-4/19 (the bulk being on 4/15), during which 17 early submitters heard back; 7 were rejected, 10 were waitlisted. None of the WL's are marked as being later acceptances.

In summary: pray for a WL, but it's likely that the class is largely put together.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cogitoergosum » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:13 pm

Twit wrote:
Jerwinf1 wrote:Anyone else submit early (went complete first week of December) and still radio silence?


I was well before that, and...nothing.

Yeah, end of October here. It's all I can do to not get hopeful...

User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kulshan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:53 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
Twit wrote:
Jerwinf1 wrote:Anyone else submit early (went complete first week of December) and still radio silence?


I was well before that, and...nothing.

Yeah, end of October here. It's all I can do to not get hopeful...


Yep, I was one of the first to submit after they posted the app, and I've heard nothing.

MyLegendLives
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MyLegendLives » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:57 pm

Been away for a few days, but I was dinged by email on Thursday. Oh well.

justinp
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby justinp » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Jerwinf1 wrote:Anyone else submit early (went complete first week of December) and still radio silence?


Yep! I'm managing to stay serene about the whole thing since I've got some great options already, but would definitely like to know!

PKozi
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PKozi » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:02 pm

This is starting to feel like waiting for the LSAT score release. Except I've been obsessively checking my email AND jumping every time my phone buzzes.

Twit
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Twit » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:57 pm

PKozi wrote:This is starting to feel like waiting for the LSAT score release. Except I've been obsessively checking my email AND jumping every time my phone buzzes.


+1

A friend called me last night when I was in my car and I just about had a heart attack.

Also, is anybody else out there thinking of this all in Hunger Games metaphors?

yoiav
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby yoiav » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:54 pm

Jerwinf1 wrote:Anyone else submit early (went complete first week of December) and still radio silence?

+1

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:02 pm

yoiav wrote:
Jerwinf1 wrote:Anyone else submit early (went complete first week of December) and still radio silence?

Calling bullshit.

:?:

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:49 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
yoiav wrote:
Jerwinf1 wrote:Anyone else submit early (went complete first week of December) and still radio silence?

Calling bullshit.

:?:


The admins are playing April Fools' jokes on us. The posts didn't say "calling bullshit" yesterday.

Edit: It looks like "+ 1" converts to "calling bullshit" today. "Big...Law" converts to "magic unicorns." Very clever, admins. :lol:

Twit
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Twit » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:10 pm

What trolls.

I'm also seeing "Whose house? KEN'S HOUSE." Pretty sure "[ERROR: 404]" is "internship."

Twit
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Twit » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:49 pm

Also, I quote from the response form from an undisclosed school in a state where it's illegal to record phone calls (see http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/archive/2012/03/29/true-transparency.aspx) for those of us with an April 2 deadline (it's the same one for the April 15 deadline, but still):

When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2015, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. You are not required to remove your name from waitlists at other law schools.


I wonder what Asha would think of that.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Asha was talking about Chicago and NYU, so I'm sure that she would say it's utter garbage. Which it is.

Since Chicago apparently "requests" rather than "requires" that applicants withdraw all outstanding applications, they can claim not to be in violation of the letter of the LSAC Statement to which they've agreed, but there is no doubt that Chicago's "request" is coercive -- given the power disparity between the law school and the applicant, and given the unknown consequences that refusing this request might entail -- and thus runs counter to the spirit of the LSAC Statement.

User avatar
Cosmopolitanist
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:50 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Cosmopolitanist » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:05 am

App complete on 12/5.

No word.

4.08/173

Le worried

Someone punch me as hard as they can

nametaken
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nametaken » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:39 am

Does anyone think WL notifications will be coming out this week? It looks like they came out on Friday April 8th last year

Twit
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Twit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:07 pm

nametaken wrote:Does anyone think WL notifications will be coming out this week? It looks like they came out on Friday April 8th last year


My bet is after Easter. It looks like the Law School is in session on Good Friday, so it may be yet this week.

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sharktankdean » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Twit wrote:
nametaken wrote:Does anyone think WL notifications will be coming out this week? It looks like they came out on Friday April 8th last year


My bet is after Easter. It looks like the Law School is in session on Good Friday, so it may be yet this week.



technically good Friday is not a Holiday at Yale Law and many schools...mostly Catholic or Christian schools have the week of Easter off.

adam1
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby adam1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:24 am

jd5. sweep. wow. acceptances still coming, I guess, but perhaps not for mere mortals.

Twit
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Twit » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:26 pm

adam1 wrote:jd5. sweep. wow. acceptances still coming, I guess, but perhaps not for mere mortals.


What a beast.

However, s/he still went to FR, so s/he is but perhaps a little less than a god?

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Twit wrote:
adam1 wrote:jd5. sweep. wow. acceptances still coming, I guess, but perhaps not for mere mortals.


What a beast.

However, s/he still went to FR, so s/he is but perhaps a little less than a god?

really? given the late submit date, i think jd5 was dean admit.

Twit
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Twit » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Didn't even look at the application date.

Skills like that are probably why I'm still waiting.

jd5
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jd5 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:33 pm

Got the call from New Haven yesterday, as I see has been reported. I very much doubt I was an Asha admit, as my GPA is below their 25th and I don't have any ludicrous softs. Faculty review might just move more quickly than people think, especially this late in the game.

Good luck to all those still waiting!

PKozi
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PKozi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:37 pm

LSN Fun Facts (because I'm avoiding homework and eager for a decision):

In 2011, of the 15 people* who received April notification with complete dates of January or earlier, one was admitted outright, 12 were waitlisted (many of those ultimately being admitted), and two were denied. The acceptance was a January complete and the denials were from November and October.

In 2010, of the 15 people who received April notification with complete dates of January or earlier, none were admitted outright, nine were waitlisted (many of those ultimately being admitted), and six were denied. Five of the six denials were from November and October.

In 2009, it was around 2(A) to 11(WL) to 4(D), following more or less the same pattern.

Also, a disproportionately large number of the early submit-->April deny were URM.

When I submitted I had a gut hunch I had a WL on the way, now it's an empirically supported hunch!


*I limited all of this to those profiles with both a decision date and a complete date.

JasonR
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:09 am

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JasonR » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:48 pm

PKozi wrote:LSN Fun Facts (because I'm avoiding homework and eager for a decision):

In 2011, of the 15 people* who received April notification with complete dates of January or earlier, one was admitted outright, 12 were waitlisted (many of those ultimately being admitted), and two were denied. The acceptance was a January complete and the denials were from November and October.

In 2010, of the 15 people who received April notification with complete dates of January or earlier, none were admitted outright, nine were waitlisted (many of those ultimately being admitted), and six were denied. Five of the six denials were from November and October.

In 2009, it was around 2(A) to 11(WL) to 4(D), following more or less the same pattern.

Also, a disproportionately large number of the early submit-->April deny were URM.

When I submitted I had a gut hunch I had a WL on the way, now it's an empirically supported hunch!


*I limited all of this to those profiles with both a decision date and a complete date.


Sounds like the odds are better than usual for the folks in this particular situation, since you say a good number of WL'd folks got accepted. Yale accepts 1 applicant for every 12-14 they deny (and WL w/o accepting), on average.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”