Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
deluxe

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby deluxe » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:21 pm

My friend who applied just before deadline in 2006 was accepted on May 10th :twisted: :twisted:

MyLegendLives

Postby MyLegendLives » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:28 pm

hellotherethisisme wrote:"Wouldn't people who applied in the last month before the deadline probably not have gotten in even if they were to eventually get a 12 in faculty review?"

I think this person meant that they wouldn't have gotten in YET. Not that they won't get in at all, but that people who applied late probably haven't gotten through the faculty review process, yet, even if they will "eventually get a 12 in faculty review" and get in.

I thought about that interpretation of it for a while. What finally made think they did not mean "yet" was the phrase "even if they were to eventually get a 12..." That "eventually" in my mind precludes the "yet."

theblackjacobins

Postby theblackjacobins » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:12 pm

MyLegendLives wrote:
hellotherethisisme wrote:"Wouldn't people who applied in the last month before the deadline probably not have gotten in even if they were to eventually get a 12 in faculty review?"

I think this person meant that they wouldn't have gotten in YET. Not that they won't get in at all, but that people who applied late probably haven't gotten through the faculty review process, yet, even if they will "eventually get a 12 in faculty review" and get in.

I thought about that interpretation of it for a while. What finally made think they did not mean "yet" was the phrase "even if they were to eventually get a 12..." That "eventually" in my mind precludes the "yet."

Well, it also depends on what the meaning of 'is' is...

:P

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:28 pm

annyong wrote:As to whether I had a "gut feeling" I would get in...I've been accepted for a month now and I still don't believe it.

Haha, no doubt.

I can't say that I had a "gut feeling" that I would be admitted. Of course, I had long been aware of how many folks with great numbers get dinged every year. I felt that my app was strong in every area, and I felt that my work experience and legal interests pointed toward Yale as much as anywhere else, but every cycle Yale rejects hundreds of people who could say the same things.

lessthanjake

Postby lessthanjake » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:42 am

That IS what I meant. My point was that they couldn't possibly have taken all the 12s at this point in the cycle (as people were saying they might have) because anyone applying at the deadline who will get a 12 probably isnt accepted yet.

adam1

Postby adam1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:22 am

Some of us might legitimately sneak onto the WL at this point. Thoughts?

whenwin

Postby whenwin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:42 am

adam1 wrote:Some of us might legitimately sneak onto the WL at this point. Thoughts?

Well, we still haven't seen the end of March wave of rejections. So we're not safe yet. I imagine anyone who submitted early (before Jan.?) who survives this coming wave of rejections should expect a WL. Possibly a few may get happy phone calls. Anyone who submitted late is probably not in the clear. This is all speculation.

adam1

Postby adam1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:48 am

whenwin wrote:
adam1 wrote:Some of us might legitimately sneak onto the WL at this point. Thoughts?

Well, we still haven't seen the end of March wave of rejections. So we're not safe yet. I imagine anyone who submitted early (before Jan.?) who survives this coming wave of rejections should expect a WL. Possibly a few may get happy phone calls. Anyone who submitted late is probably not in the clear. This is all speculation.

Oh, wow, you're right. The huge rejectionocalypse which was the middle of March last year hasn't really materialized. Strange.

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:52 am

whenwin wrote:

I think those that applied early and haven't heard back likely went to faculty review, but I wouldn't say they're in the clear as far as rejections are concerned. Glancing through last year's thread (which I did a couple of months ago so I may not be entirely right), the last wave of decisions came via email and included all three outcomes and people who submitted at pretty much every different point throughout the cycle. Yale keeps an insanely small WL (I think ~100 people) so given how many early submitters there are with no news, it seems unlikely that all of them would fall into the small admit/WL categories.

Anyway, still kinda surprised we haven't gotten notice of the second round of dings yet. And having said that, I'm sure I just jinxed myself and will find a thin white envelope in the mail today...

whenwin

Postby whenwin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:07 pm

yankees42789 wrote:I think those that applied early and haven't heard back likely went to faculty review, but I wouldn't say they're in the clear as far as rejections are concerned. Glancing through last year's thread (which I did a couple of months ago so I may not be entirely right), the last wave of decisions came via email and included all three outcomes and people who submitted at pretty much every different point throughout the cycle. Yale keeps an insanely small WL (I think ~100 people) so given how many early submitters there are with no news, it seems unlikely that all of them would fall into the small admit/WL categories.

Anyway, still kinda surprised we haven't gotten notice of the second round of dings yet. And having said that, I'm sure I just jinxed myself and will find a thin white envelope in the mail today...

http://yale.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... er=asc&p=3
^ From last year. There was the 3/18-19 mass rejection wave. Then over the next few weeks, a bunch of rejections. BUT, only one of those rejections was a pre-New Year submitter. So basically, I think a good # of early submits will be rejected in the coming wave. But if (obviously a big if) we survive that wave, chances are good we are headed for the WL.

ETA: Just noticed you were using TLS info, not LSN. So maybe you're right.

yankees42789

Postby yankees42789 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 pm

whenwin wrote:
yankees42789 wrote:I think those that applied early and haven't heard back likely went to faculty review, but I wouldn't say they're in the clear as far as rejections are concerned. Glancing through last year's thread (which I did a couple of months ago so I may not be entirely right), the last wave of decisions came via email and included all three outcomes and people who submitted at pretty much every different point throughout the cycle. Yale keeps an insanely small WL (I think ~100 people) so given how many early submitters there are with no news, it seems unlikely that all of them would fall into the small admit/WL categories.

http://yale.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... er=asc&p=3
^ From last year. There was the 3/18-19 mass rejection wave. Then over the next few weeks, a bunch of rejections. BUT, only one of those rejections was a pre-New Year submitter. So basically, I think a good # of early submits will be rejected in the coming wave. But if (obviously a big if) we survive that wave, chances are good we are headed for the WL.

ETA: Just noticed you were using TLS info, not LSN. So maybe you're right.

I mean, LSN is probably more accurate than my faulty memory and it's not like I checked the post history of every single person posting their decisions in last year's thread so you could definitely be right. It just seems like there are still a ton of people who didn't hear back in the first wave and I can't imagine that all of them are headed for good/okay news (not that I'm wishing rejections on anybody just that there are only ~200 total acceptances or waitlists remaining and so many people from all submission dates in the cycle without decisions). So, yeah, I don't know if early submitters are more likely to get dinged now or in April, but I think it's hard to read too much into anything until we see the carnage from the second round of dings.

Twit

Postby Twit » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Seems we know a few things:

1) There is normally a March 17-19 wave of rejects with the last wave of acceptances coming immediately after. It hasn't come (yet), and this may because of the later application deadline.

2) So far, the people who have been admitted are the presumptive admits (by Asha) and those who have gotten a 12 in faculty review. People who score an 11 are held on to until later. Someone mentioned earlier that there are about 150 members of the Yale c/o 2015 group on facebook, so there are probably about 75 spots left to fill in the class once you account for people not in the group, not on fb, etc.

For us early applicants (pre-New Years), this news isn't great, but it's not dismal. If we haven't heard yet, it means that we probably scored 11's in FR, which means that we'll get in IF there aren't enough 12's still in FR to fill the class AND we look nice on the second take. :) If pushing the deadline back two weeks pushes the last wave back by the same amount, we should be hearing late this week or early next...

Here's hoping.

jd5

Postby jd5 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:36 pm

I just received a law-school related phone call from an unknown number with a 203 area code...

...and it was an SLS student asking me if I had any questions for him about the school. My heart almost beat out of my chest.

justinp

Postby justinp » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:13 pm

jd5 wrote:I just received a law-school related phone call from an unknown number with a 203 area code...

...and it was an SLS student asking me if I had any questions for him about the school. My heart almost beat out of my chest.

That is completely awful. On the other hand, congrats on SLS!

LSATDecimator

Postby LSATDecimator » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:22 pm

A couple of rejections just showing up on LSN.

I'm conducting an interview with an extremely influential Yale Law alumna in 4 hours. If all goes well, I'm hoping she'll put in a good word....

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:28 pm

LSATDecimator wrote:A couple of rejections just showing up on LSN.

I'm conducting an interview with an extremely influential Yale Law alumna in 4 hours. If all goes well, I'm hoping she'll put in a good word....

Am I missing something or are there no new LSN rejections? Only asking because I just got super nervous. I see one was updated 20 hours ago but that person also updated every other school and the Yale decision doesnt have a date

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:49 pm

nametaken wrote:

Am I missing something or are there no new LSN rejections? Only asking because I just got super nervous. I see one was updated 20 hours ago but that person also updated every other school and the Yale decision doesnt have a date

+1...im not seeing anything

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:53 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
nametaken wrote:

+1...im not seeing anything

Ok good, calming down for now.

Byzantine

Postby Byzantine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Called Yale cause I got an exploding scholarship. They said I was still being evaluated, but they said to call before the deadline and they'd try to get an answer by then.

adam1

Postby adam1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Byzantine wrote:Called Yale cause I got an exploding scholarship. They said I was still being evaluated, but they said to call before the deadline and they'd try to get an answer by then.

Vandy?

Byzantine

Postby Byzantine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:44 pm

adam1 wrote:
Byzantine wrote:Called Yale cause I got an exploding scholarship. They said I was still being evaluated, but they said to call before the deadline and they'd try to get an answer by then.

Vandy?

Yeah. You?

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:48 pm

Byzantine wrote:
adam1 wrote:

Vandy?

Yeah. You?

Does an "exploding scholarship" differ from other large scholarships that have an early deadline? Or would it also be valid to call Yale if we have to make a decision next week on certain merit scholarships.

Byzantine

Postby Byzantine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:58 pm

thestillpoint wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
adam1 wrote:

Vandy?

Yeah. You?

Does an "exploding scholarship" differ from other large scholarships that have an early deadline? Or would it also be valid to call Yale if we have to make a decision next week on certain merit scholarships.

IDK. I don't see how it could hurt to call them. What's the worst they'll do about a simple "I have scholarships deadlines approaching, and if possible, would like to get some clarity on where I stand."

adam1

Postby adam1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Byzantine wrote:
adam1 wrote:

Vandy?

Yeah. You?

I have one at Gtown. Yale seems to be less than considerate when it comes to timing. You must really like Nashville to be considering Vandy with your options.

Twit

Postby Twit » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:35 pm

They might respond, "DO YOU KNOW WHO WE ARE??!" throw the telephone down, and promptly reject you.

Not likely, but probably the worst they could do.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”