Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATDecimator

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LSATDecimator » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:16 pm

All is quiet on the Yale front. No admissions tweets for 23 days now.

I think I'm a waitlist who gets in with a June LSAT bump.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:20 pm

LSATDecimator wrote:All is quiet on the Yale front. No admissions tweets for 23 days now.

I think I'm a waitlist who gets in with a June LSAT bump.

If you're waitlisted at Yale, chances are good that your LSAT score wasn't the problem.

dudedudedude

Postby dudedudedude » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Does anyone know, roughly, how many offers have already been made at this point in the cycle (or have been made by this point in previous years)? I've heard that, at this point, many more offers have been made than you might think...and this strongly suggests that applying rather late (like I did) is insane (which I didn't realize until very recently).

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 pm

dudedudedude wrote:Does anyone know, roughly, how many offers have already been made at this point in the cycle (or have been made by this point in previous years)? I've heard that, at this point, many more offers have been made than you might think...and this strongly suggests that applying rather late (like I did) is insane (which I didn't realize until very recently).

I can't find it now, but someone somewhere mentioned how many people were in the admitted students facebook group in the last 2 or 3 weeks. It was something discouraging like 150+, I think.

dudedudedude

Postby dudedudedude » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:18 pm

kulshan wrote:
I can't find it now, but someone somewhere mentioned how many people were in the admitted students facebook group in the last 2 or 3 weeks. It was something discouraging like 150+, I think.

God, that is absolutely horrible. The website says stuff like: "It may be to your advantage to apply in early autumn; candidates who apply just before the deadline, or whose required materials are submitted late, run the risk of receiving decisions very late in the spring." I don't care WHEN I hear...I just want an equal chance as comparable candidates and it wasn't clear to me that this would not be the case given a late-ish submission. Sure, if there were only 150 offers made at this point, then a late ap wouldn't be disadvantaged...but surely there are people not on facebook or people on facebook but not in the group (and I had heard that the number of offers was higher anyway). This is freaking me out.....

jd5

Postby jd5 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:22 pm

Relax, dudedudedude. Yale is pretty adamant that applying late doesn't hurt your chances, and I don't think there's any reason not to take them at face value. They're incredibly open about their admissions process. If you don't get in, it won't be because you applied late.

jd5

Postby jd5 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:26 pm

My own working assumption -- and someone tell me if Asha has spoken to this at some point -- is that the only people who have been admitted so far are those who scored a 12 after faculty review (i.e., a score of 4 from each of the three professors that looks at the application). Asha has said that all applicants that receive a score of 12 get in, as well as most that receive an 11. So perhaps now they are finishing up late apps, admitting the 12s, and considering the 11s as a group to decide which ones to admit and which to waitlist.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:27 pm

jd5 wrote:My own working assumption -- and someone tell me if Asha has spoken to this at some point -- is that the only people who have been admitted so far are those who scored a 12 after faculty review (i.e., a score of 4 from each of the three professors that looks at the application). Asha has said that all applicants that receive a score of 12 get in, as well as most that receive an 11. So perhaps now they are finishing up late apps, admitting the 12s, and considering the 11s as a group to decide which ones to admit and which to waitlist.

Incorrect. Asha personally admits around 50-80 applicants each cycle. These applicants do not go through faculty review.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:35 pm

dudedudedude wrote:
kulshan wrote:

God, that is absolutely horrible. The website says stuff like: "It may be to your advantage to apply in early autumn; candidates who apply just before the deadline, or whose required materials are submitted late, run the risk of receiving decisions very late in the spring." I don't care WHEN I hear...I just want an equal chance as comparable candidates and it wasn't clear to me that this would not be the case given a late-ish submission. Sure, if there were only 150 offers made at this point, then a late ap wouldn't be disadvantaged...but surely there are people not on facebook or people on facebook but not in the group (and I had heard that the number of offers was higher anyway). This is freaking me out.....

I really wouldn't worry about not getting an equal review. I would take Asha at her insistent word that your three faculty reviewers are going to grade your app the same now as they would in October (assuming your app is in faculty review, of course). It's not surprising to me that a majority of offers for this cycle would be extended by late March, given that a majority of applicants submit before the New Year, and given that most of the several dozen "auto-admits" have already happened. I understand the tendency to worry, having done plenty of worrying myself, but Asha doesn't have any reason to deceive you.

jd5

Postby jd5 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
jd5 wrote:My own working assumption -- and someone tell me if Asha has spoken to this at some point -- is that the only people who have been admitted so far are those who scored a 12 after faculty review (i.e., a score of 4 from each of the three professors that looks at the application). Asha has said that all applicants that receive a score of 12 get in, as well as most that receive an 11. So perhaps now they are finishing up late apps, admitting the 12s, and considering the 11s as a group to decide which ones to admit and which to waitlist.

Incorrect. Asha personally admits around 50-80 applicants each cycle. These applicants do not go through faculty review.

Right, I was just talking about the people who were sent on to faculty review. So I guess it would have been more accurate to say my working assumption is that only Asha's auto-admits and those who scored a 12 in faculty review have been admitted so far, with the 11s left to be considered as a group after all applications have been reviewed and all 12s admitted.

Again, this is just speculation.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:15 pm

jd5 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Right, I was just talking about the people who were sent on to faculty review. So I guess it would have been more accurate to say my working assumption is that only Asha's auto-admits and those who scored a 12 in faculty review have been admitted so far, with the 11s left to be considered as a group after all applications have been reviewed and all 12s admitted.

+1, this is what I believe as well.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:17 am

Also, I just updated my resume...any point now of sending Yale it? Nothing major added, I completely changed the format though

FYI, I applied in november, so im pretty sure i at least got to fac review

theblackjacobins

Postby theblackjacobins » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 am

jd5 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

+1

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 am

thederangedwang wrote:Also, I just updated my resume...any point now of sending Yale it? Nothing major added, I completely changed the format though

No. Once materials are given to the faculty for review they are not updated. The next chance you'll have to send it in and it might actually matter will be right after you're waitlisted.

theblackjacobins

Postby theblackjacobins » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:41 am

kulshan wrote:
dudedudedude wrote:Does anyone know, roughly, how many offers have already been made at this point in the cycle (or have been made by this point in previous years)? I've heard that, at this point, many more offers have been made than you might think...and this strongly suggests that applying rather late (like I did) is insane (which I didn't realize until very recently).

is it possible that the 150+ people admitted were the people Asha admitted and those who received 12s on the Faculty Review, as the poster above speculates?
If so....damn....I wonder what all those 150+ kids had.

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:43 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:Also, I just updated my resume...any point now of sending Yale it? Nothing major added, I completely changed the format though

No. Once materials are given to the faculty for review they are not updated. The next chance you'll have to send it in and it might actually matter will be right after you're waitlisted.

Yikes, does that include transcript updates?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:44 am

cogitoergosum wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

I'm not sure. I would assume yes. The lady I spoke with after submitting a new LoR back in January said it wouldn't matter unless my application came back from faculty review and I was WL.

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:06 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

I'm not sure. I would assume yes. The lady I spoke with after submitting a new LoR back in January said it wouldn't matter unless my application came back from faculty review and I was WL.

Wow, I didn't know that. That's a bummer because I submitted a 4th LOR from a former Harvard Law prof that was killer and had a pretty big GPA bump from the fall term..

annyong

Postby annyong » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:35 am

Yeah when I asked whether it was worth it to update my file they said that once its gone to faculty review, it's gone, and things can't be added until they come back to admissions - so I imagine it can make a WL difference but not much else.

As to whether I had a "gut feeling" I would get in...I've been accepted for a month now and I still don't believe it.

Honestly though, good luck to the rest of you guys and don't try to analyze the process too much! I'm sure I went to faculty review because I heard silence for 4 months and then got a call out of the blue, but I'm far from a cancer curing Olympian, if that assuages anyone's fears :)

lessthanjake

Postby lessthanjake » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:39 am

theblackjacobins wrote:
kulshan wrote:

is it possible that the 150+ people admitted were the people Asha admitted and those who received 12s on the Faculty Review, as the poster above speculates?

Wouldn't people who applied in the last month before the deadline probably not have gotten in even if they were to eventually get a 12 in faculty review?

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:09 am

lessthanjake wrote:
theblackjacobins wrote:
kulshan wrote:

Wouldn't people who applied in the last month before the deadline probably not have gotten in even if they were to eventually get a 12 in faculty review?

Asha has made it explicitly clear that applying late in the cycle is not disadvantageous at Yale. I see no reason not to take her at face value. (And I'm personally banking on that being the case.)

MyLegendLives

Postby MyLegendLives » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:17 am

lessthanjake wrote:
theblackjacobins wrote:
kulshan wrote:

It's amazing how people continue to raise these types of doubts. Here's a quote directly from Dean Rangappa's 203 Blog:

"One final observation. I've noticed that I get mixed reviews whenever I try to give honest application tips and insider advice. For example, in a recent discussion on TLS about my post a few years ago stating emphatically that there is no correlation between when you are admitted and whether you are an auto-admit or admitted by faculty, a poster asked, "Does she really expect us to believe that?"

It's funny -- it had never occurred to me that I could use this blog as a vehicle for mass deception about Yale's admissions process. Though I can see how the image of me sitting at my desk, laughing maniacally about throwing applicants "off the trail" while stroking a very mean and fluffy cat, might fit in with your experience of the law school admissions process generally. I kind of like the image myself. Sadly, the reality is that I'm usually slogging through admissions files while eating a stale hummus wrap from the dining hall, taking occasional breaks to check email and compulsively buy Groupons. Besides, even if I wanted to, it wouldn't be a good idea for me to lie about the admissions process on a blog read by several members of Yale's own faculty. Especially after I just wrote a post entitled, "Please Don't Lie." (For what it's worth, about 20% of faculty are done reading before the winter break, so you could be an auto admit OR a faculty admit even if you are admitted in December.)

But, whatever, I'm just the messenger, people. *shrugs*"

Yale/Asha has no reason to lie. There is no meaningful disadvantage in applying late. Yale has stated this a number of times.

jd5

Postby jd5 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:06 pm

+1. And in addition to saying that applying late doesn't meaningfully hurt your chances, Asha has also said that anyone who receives a 12 is admitted. So, no -- there will not be anyone who gets a 12 in faculty review and is denied admission.

jd5

Postby jd5 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:09 pm

MyLegendLives wrote: It's amazing how people continue to raise these types of doubts.

I think people continue to raise these doubts as preemptive justification for rejection/WL. "Well, I applied late, so I probably hurt my chances, whatever else Yale and Asha may have said to the contrary. If I don't get in, it will be because I applied late."

hellotherethisisme

Postby hellotherethisisme » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:19 pm

"Wouldn't people who applied in the last month before the deadline probably not have gotten in even if they were to eventually get a 12 in faculty review?"

I think this person meant that they wouldn't have gotten in YET. Not that they won't get in at all, but that people who applied late probably haven't gotten through the faculty review process, yet, even if they will "eventually get a 12 in faculty review" and get in.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”