Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Geneva

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Geneva » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:58 pm

kingofspain wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
kingofspain wrote:When pondering such questions, I always think: would I reject someone for this error if I were an adcomm? In this case (and in almost all cases related to minor errors) the answer is absolutely not. I mean, I'm not an adcomm, and maybe they get mini god complexes from their work and take pleasure in smiting applicants for anything that displeases them... but probably not. They're still people.

So don't worry too much about it! AFTER you email them the new essay with a short explanation, that is. Just a couple of sentences 1) apologizing sincerely for any inconvenience and 2) briefly explaining the circumstances. Personally, I would describe the situation but then "accept full responsibility" --- human error is easily forgivable, even among the best & brightest, but refusing to accept responsibility for a mistake is a bad sign.

This is unfortunately not true--Asha says that only the top 20% of files are sent to FR: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... ation.aspx

Ah, I thought it was more than that, like 1/3-1/2... But yeah, I'll trust Asha on this one.

Still, I think the rest of my post stands, though maybe others disagree/are pickier about relatively small mistakes like that. I imagine most adcomms sincerely want to admit the best class they can, and if Aqua has a chance at admission anyway, I doubt this would make a difference.

I was waitlisted at USC after sending in a corrected application and have been accepted or held everywhere else. Also, it's pretty late to be sending in a correction.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:37 pm

rodney wrote:I submitted my application Januray 13th, and then received an email from Yale on the 17th aknowledging that LSAC was sending the school my report. While the email said I should hear back within four weeks when my application status was complete, I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone find this odd? It has been six weeks. I'm considering calling the admissions office to see if any parts of my application are missing. Any thoughts?

Do you have a hotmail/msn address? I've been told that Yale has been having a lot of their emails to these accounts blocked for some reason (not just the law school). You probably have nothing to worry about. You could contact them, but I'd do it by email so it doesn't look like you're trying to sneak in a status check. Just explain that you never got the email about going complete and wanted to be sure there's no issue.

law121212

Postby law121212 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Apologies if this is a stupid question or if it has been answered elsewhere.

I have applied to Yale and am currently waiting to hear back. My stats are at or above their medians and I have 'strong softs', which means I probably have a 10% chance of getting in or something.

Anyway, I noticed their financial aid application for incoming students is due March 15th. I am almost complete with my FAFSA and needaccess forms anyway and had planned to finish them this weekend. Does it make sense to send my financial aid information to Yale even though I haven't been accepted, in the off-chance I am accepted? Is this standard practice? Or does that make me seem presumptuous?

Thanks for your help.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:16 pm

law121212 wrote:Apologies if this is a stupid question or if it has been answered elsewhere.

I have applied to Yale and am currently waiting to hear back. My stats are at or above their medians and I have 'strong softs', which means I probably have a 10% chance of getting in or something.

Anyway, I noticed their financial aid application for incoming students is due March 15th. I am almost complete with my FAFSA and needaccess forms anyway and had planned to finish them this weekend. Does it make sense to send my financial aid information to Yale even though I haven't been accepted, in the off-chance I am accepted? Is this standard practice? Or does that make me seem presumptuous?

Thanks for your help.

This is what you're supposed to do. If you were waiting for 10 schools you'd send your financial aid info to all 10 schools. Good luck!

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:29 pm

JoeMo wrote:
law121212 wrote:Apologies if this is a stupid question or if it has been answered elsewhere.

Thanks for your help.

This is what you're supposed to do. If you were waiting for 10 schools you'd send your financial aid info to all 10 schools. Good luck!

As i understand it, 3/15 is the deadline for only the FAFSA and Need access....you can submit all the documentation by may

Byzantine

Postby Byzantine » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Yale. I want to go to you. That is all.

Aqua

Postby Aqua » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Aqua wrote:I didn't think I had a shot at Yale, but I decided I wanted to throw out a hail mary application. Trying to write the best possible essays, I wrote multiple drafts of different topics and scrambled to get my application off right before deadline. I turned in one of the wrong essays:( Not only does it include a typo (minor, but clearly a typo).it isn't the essay I intended to send. Should I send along the correct essay or does any benefit I would gain from the improved quality be outweighed by the fact that I didn't review my "final application" pdf before clicking send?

I know this error is probably unforgiveable for Yale. I know it probably doesn't help that I made this mistake in part because I was so distracted by the fact that a relative of mine who was terminally ill had just passed away. But any honest feedback you can give about the way to maximize my chances would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm sorry for your loss. I also agree that you should immediately (tonight) send an email with the updated essay. Keep the email short. Briefly apologize for and explain the circumstances behind your oversight (i.e. you were distracted by the passing of your relative shortly before the deadline) and request that the admissions committee consider the attached essay instead of the one submitted through the LSAC.

I don't think it will be a huge deal one way or the other. Just don't delay any longer on fixing the situation. I know someone who was borderline numbers-wise for Harvard and who forgot to include her résumé with her application. She sent it with a brief and apologetic email and was still admitted later on.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! Was away for the funeral, just got back. Haven't gotten an update from Yale (so not complete yet), but didn't send the correct version in either:( Should have checked TLS, but was so busy with family arrangements and trying to work remotely that I didn't have a chance. Do I still send Yale the correct version now? Thanks in advance for the help:) On a more positive note, just got into Berkeley via voicemail.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Byzantine wrote:Yale. I want to go to you. That is all.

You harlot! Harvard just expressed their mutual affection for you after you pined for months...and you're already onto the next school.

Byzantine

Postby Byzantine » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:35 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
Byzantine wrote:Yale. I want to go to you. That is all.

You harlot! heartbreaka .

Fixed ur metaphor. Harvard was a thrilling conquest but now I have her and I am moving on to the next challenge. Yale has quite a game.

lawguy2015

Postby lawguy2015 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:09 pm

If it has been almost two months after complete email. Does this mean there is a good chance you made it to faculty review?

lessthanjake

Postby lessthanjake » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:59 pm

lawguy2015 wrote:If it has been almost two months after complete email. Does this mean there is a good chance you made it to faculty review?

I was wondering the same. How long would it take (after going complete) for someone who didn't make it to faculty review to be rejected? I'm wondering whether I can assume that I at least made it to faculty review (not that that would mean very much, because I'd assume I'd be rejected anyways).

annyong

Postby annyong » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:17 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
lawguy2015 wrote:If it has been almost two months after complete email. Does this mean there is a good chance you made it to faculty review?

I was wondering the same. How long would it take (after going complete) for someone who didn't make it to faculty review to be rejected? I'm wondering whether I can assume that I at least made it to faculty review (not that that would mean very much, because I'd assume I'd be rejected anyways).

As far as I know, there's only been one "batch" of rejections so far, and that was maybe a month ago and came by snail mail - so if you submitted way early and didn't get rejected then, there's a good chance you're still under review or possibly on the waitlist. If you submitted later and weren't in that first batch, there really isn't any way to predict since there hasn't been any steady stream of decisions.

I think you can just expect silence and then a decision when it comes. I'd suggest checking LSN for decision dates to get an idea of when the next batch of rejections might be.

lessthanjake

Postby lessthanjake » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 pm

annyong wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:

As far as I know, there's only been one "batch" of rejections so far, and that was maybe a month ago and came by snail mail - so if you submitted way early and didn't get rejected then, there's a good chance you're still under review or possibly on the waitlist. If you submitted later and weren't in that first batch, there really isn't any way to predict since there hasn't been any steady stream of decisions.

I think you can just expect silence and then a decision when it comes. I'd suggest checking LSN for decision dates to get an idea of when the next batch of rejections might be.

Thank you for that info! I did not submit early, so I suppose I can't tell yet

Aqua

Postby Aqua » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Aqua wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
Aqua wrote:I didn't think I had a shot at Yale, but I decided I wanted to throw out a hail mary application. Trying to write the best possible essays, I wrote multiple drafts of different topics and scrambled to get my application off right before deadline. I turned in one of the wrong essays:( Not only does it include a typo (minor, but clearly a typo).it isn't the essay I intended to send. Should I send along the correct essay or does any benefit I would gain from the improved quality be outweighed by the fact that I didn't review my "final application" pdf before clicking send?

I know this error is probably unforgiveable for Yale. I know it probably doesn't help that I made this mistake in part because I was so distracted by the fact that a relative of mine who was terminally ill had just passed away. But any honest feedback you can give about the way to maximize my chances would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm sorry for your loss. I also agree that you should immediately (tonight) send an email with the updated essay. Keep the email short. Briefly apologize for and explain the circumstances behind your oversight (i.e. you were distracted by the passing of your relative shortly before the deadline) and request that the admissions committee consider the attached essay instead of the one submitted through the LSAC.

I don't think it will be a huge deal one way or the other. Just don't delay any longer on fixing the situation. I know someone who was borderline numbers-wise for Harvard and who forgot to include her résumé with her application. She sent it with a brief and apologetic email and was still admitted later on.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! Was away for the funeral, just got back. Haven't gotten an update from Yale (so not complete yet), but didn't send the correct version in either:( Should have checked TLS, but was so busy with family arrangements and trying to work remotely that I didn't have a chance. Do I still send Yale the correct version now? Thanks in advance for the help:)

Hey guys, wondering if I should still send in the correct version now that 12 days have passed? I am sorry to keep asking about this, but am concerned the new time lapse might be problematic. On the other hand, maybe if I say I understand if they can't use the correct version, but wanted to give them a copy just in the event that they would be willing to consider it? And to express my sincere gratitude? :( Sorry, just want to put my best foot forward and am at a loss on how to best proceed. Thanks a million again.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Aqua wrote:
Aqua wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! Was away for the funeral, just got back. Haven't gotten an update from Yale (so not complete yet), but didn't send the correct version in either:( Should have checked TLS, but was so busy with family arrangements and trying to work remotely that I didn't have a chance. Do I still send Yale the correct version now? Thanks in advance for the help:)

Hey guys, wondering if I should still send in the correct version now that 12 days have passed? I am sorry to keep asking about this, but am concerned the new time lapse might be problematic. On the other hand, maybe if I say I understand if they can't use the correct version, but wanted to give them a copy just in the event that they would be willing to consider it? And to express my sincere gratitude? :( Sorry, just want to put my best foot forward and am at a loss on how to best proceed. Thanks a million again.

Do you really feel like the updated version is a vast improvement over the one they have, leaving aside the typo? If it's only a modest revision, then I think you're doing more harm than good and I would just leave it alone.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:57 pm

To respond to the above thread re:sending in an application edition: will Asha see the original version and the edition or will an administrative assistant replace the incorrect file with the updated version prior to evaluation? I feel like the answer to this question might provide the best guidance on how to best proceed.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Geneva wrote:To respond to the above thread re:sending in an application edition: will Asha see the original version and the edition or will an administrative assistant replace the incorrect file with the updated version prior to evaluation? I feel like the answer to this question might provide the best guidance on how to best proceed.

I don't think anyone here could possibly know that.

PKozi

Postby PKozi » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:45 pm

So, it looks like we're probably about due for another round of tiny envelopes being sent out.

Mustapha.Mond

Postby Mustapha.Mond » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 am

Question for you all. I submitted my application in October, but have not heard anything since the initial acknowledgment email. I lived in rural Africa - poor postal service - for 6 months. I am guessing that they have not yet made a decision about my application yet or that they rejection letter was lost in transit; I had been accepted, I would have received an email. Are there any other early submitters out there who have not heard anything yet? If not, when would it be acceptable for me to contact the admissions office?

phl516

Postby phl516 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Mustapha.Mond wrote:Question for you all. I submitted my application in October, but have not heard anything since the initial acknowledgment email. I lived in rural Africa - poor postal service - for 6 months. I am guessing that they have not yet made a decision about my application yet or that they rejection letter was lost in transit; I had been accepted, I would have received an email. Are there any other early submitters out there who have not heard anything yet? If not, when would it be acceptable for me to contact the admissions office?

Yes, I think there are a significant number of us.

yoiav

Postby yoiav » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:19 pm

phl516 wrote:
Mustapha.Mond wrote:Question for you all. I submitted my application in October, but have not heard anything since the initial acknowledgment email. I lived in rural Africa - poor postal service - for 6 months. I am guessing that they have not yet made a decision about my application yet or that they rejection letter was lost in transit; I had been accepted, I would have received an email. Are there any other early submitters out there who have not heard anything yet? If not, when would it be acceptable for me to contact the admissions office?

Yes, I think there are a significant number of us.

this

nametaken

Postby nametaken » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:36 pm

For everyone who submitted months ago, do we think we are getting rejection letters in the next round? Or at best waitlists? I just am trying to figure out if I should give up all hope at this point (submitted in the beginning of december)

izy223

Postby izy223 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:48 pm

wait this may be a stupid question but yale sends out rejections by mail and acceptances by email? or everything is by mail??

i am confused by

[quote] Question for you all. I submitted my application in October, but have not heard anything since the initial acknowledgment email. I lived in rural Africa - poor postal service - for 6 months. I am guessing that they have not yet made a decision about my application yet or that they rejection letter was lost in transit; I had been accepted, I would have received an email. Are there any other early submitters out there who have not heard anything yet? If not, when would it be acceptable for me to contact the admissions office? [quote]

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:49 pm

izy223 wrote:wait this may be a stupid question but yale sends out rejections by mail and acceptances by email? or everything is by mail??

i am confused by

Question for you all. I submitted my application in October, but have not heard anything since the initial acknowledgment email. I lived in rural Africa - poor postal service - for 6 months. I am guessing that they have not yet made a decision about my application yet or that they rejection letter was lost in transit; I had been accepted, I would have received an email. Are there any other early submitters out there who have not heard anything yet? If not, when would it be acceptable for me to contact the admissions office?

Yes, they do rejections via snail mail and acceptances via phone (with a follow up email, I think?). I think if you are overseas they might do email alone.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:57 pm

freestallion wrote:
izy223 wrote:wait this may be a stupid question but yale sends out rejections by mail and acceptances by email? or everything is by mail??

i am confused by

Yes, they do rejections via snail mail and acceptances via phone (with a follow up email, I think?). I think if you are overseas they might do email alone.

thanks i guess i will no longer be checking my mailbox everyday because mail is just bad news now.

as an aside if ive been complete since january 13th and havent got rejected yet- is that a good sign or a bad sign?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”