Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mathrev

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mathrev » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:03 pm

theblackjacobins wrote:
mathrev wrote:So I am happy to bump this thread, as I have received news of an acceptance. Pretty amazing feeling when I saw that 203 on my phone. Such a long journey too, so it was unbelievable--It's difficult to express in words....

PM me if you want more info. I wish the best of luck to others!

Congratulations!

What did you do after you heard the news of your acceptance? Did you drink your soul away? LOL.

I celebrated with friends and family. Actually I still am celebrating :)

puppylaw

Postby puppylaw » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Submitted Jan. 30.
Application received email Feb. 1.
A leap month later and still no complete email or status checker. Do I get to be worried yet?

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Nah

MichelFoucault

Postby MichelFoucault » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:59 am

Just submitted my app. Do you guys think my app will get a legitimate review?

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:33 am

MichelFoucault wrote:Just submitted my app. Do you guys think my app will get a legitimate review?

power to u! i did the same thing. i think it will. the dean of admissions constantly stresses that timing before deadline does not matter bc of yale's faculty review process and ranking system

JosephusMyer

Postby JosephusMyer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:41 am

puppylaw wrote:Submitted Jan. 30.
Application received email Feb. 1.
A leap month later and still no complete email or status checker. Do I get to be worried yet?

Yale don't do status checkers, and deliberately spread out their admissions process. I wouldn't worry yet.

poultry

Postby poultry » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed a lot before..but do people submit LOCI to yale at all? Or do they accept anything additional once your file is passed on to faculty?

crazymo19

Postby crazymo19 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Asha said on her (203) blog

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... ation.aspx

"If your application is already complete, it is possible -- and likely -- that your application has already been reviewed as is, but the second letter can be helpful in the event that I go back to your file for any reason or if you are placed on the wait list."

So it may be helpful to send things in, even if your file has already become complete.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:55 pm

In last Sunday! The adrenaline rush has finally subsided a bit, but I'm still floating. The call came while my wife and I were on a walk in my neighborhood park. There are surely some people in this neighborhood who believe I'm insane now.

I applied just before Christmas and went complete in mid-January. Very surprised -- and relieved -- to have heard back this quickly. I'll wait to see what a couple of other schools say, and I would like to take a couple of other visits to feel I did my due diligence, but I can't imagine anyone overtaking (or even approaching) Yale for what I want in a law school.

Parmenides

Postby Parmenides » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Ti Malice wrote:In last Sunday! The adrenaline rush has finally subsided a bit, but I'm still floating. The call came while my wife and I were on a walk in my neighborhood park. There are surely some people in this neighborhood who believe I'm insane now.

I applied just before Christmas and went complete in mid-January. Very surprised -- and relieved -- to have heard back this quickly. I'll wait to see what a couple of other schools say, and I would like to take a couple of other visits to feel I did my due diligence, but I can't imagine anyone overtaking (or even approaching) Yale for what I want in a law school.

Congrats! I think looking like a crazy person is a pretty reasonable reaction to that news.

Also, what's the appropriate happy for/envious of ratio for this sort of situation? I'm sure this formula has been worked out on these forums many already.

mermaid9052

Postby mermaid9052 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:31 pm

I just turned in a LOCI for Columbia (complete November) because I recently have been selected as a finalist for the Fulbright fellowship (I will find out my final grant status approx April 1st?) However, I have only been complete at Yale since the beginning of January ... and I am not really sure how impressive being a finalist would be to them, or if it would make any considerable difference in their review of my application??

Totally opposite direction, is there anyone who thinks it could be a disadvantage to update them on this status?? Being that if I am selected as a scholar (by some miracle) and accepted to Yale (by a second miracle) I would probably want to request a deferral?

Thanks so much!!! Good luck to everyone waiting!!! And congrats to everyone who has been accepted :D

theblackjacobins

Postby theblackjacobins » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
theblackjacobins wrote:
arewehavingfunyet wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
Pretty sure at least one person who was held at Columbia is already in at Yale. So might as well take a shot?

That would be me. What's up

@arewehavingfunyet,

Congratulations on your acceptances!!
You must really have something that appealed to the faculty reviewers at Stanford and Yale!
Could you briefly share, in general terms, what kinds of softs you had?
Were you a Rhodes scholar? Or perhaps had strong publication credentials? Or perhaps athletics?

Thanks!

0L gunner, ahoy!

LOL totally agree haha. I got so carried away by the news (he got into Yale and Stanford! That's pretty impressive!)

theblackjacobins

Postby theblackjacobins » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Just a quick question for those who've already heard back: is there anyway one can tell if one has even passed the initial screening by Asha and passed on to the faculty review, or not?

I was thinking that if you don't hear back 1+ month after going complete, it may be reasonable to think that at least you've passed the initial screening....maybe not...lol

I've already registered for the June LSAT but just waiting for that slim chance of a miracle....

Aqua

Postby Aqua » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:32 pm

I didn't think I had a shot at Yale, but I decided I wanted to throw out a hail mary application. Trying to write the best possible essays, I wrote multiple drafts of different topics and scrambled to get my application off right before deadline. I turned in one of the wrong essays:( Not only does it include a typo (minor, but clearly a typo).it isn't the essay I intended to send. Should I send along the correct essay or does any benefit I would gain from the improved quality be outweighed by the fact that I didn't review my "final application" pdf before clicking send?

I know this error is probably unforgiveable for Yale. I know it probably doesn't help that I made this mistake in part because I was so distracted by the fact that a relative of mine who was terminally ill had just passed away. But any honest feedback you can give about the way to maximize my chances would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Fortuitous

Postby Fortuitous » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Aqua wrote:I didn't think I had a shot at Yale, but I decided I wanted to throw out a hail mary application. Trying to write the best possible essays, I wrote multiple drafts of different topics and scrambled to get my application off right before deadline. I turned in one of the wrong essays:( Not only does it include a typo (minor, but clearly a typo).it isn't the essay I intended to send. Should I send along the correct essay or does any benefit I would gain from the improved quality be outweighed by the fact that I didn't review my "final application" pdf before clicking send?

I know this error is probably unforgiveable for Yale. I know it probably doesn't help that I made this mistake in part because I was so distracted by the fact that a relative of mine who was terminally ill had just passed away. But any honest feedback you can give about the way to maximize my chances would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry to hear about the timing. No idea what you should say to Yale, though.

spek

Postby spek » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Aqua wrote:I didn't think I had a shot at Yale, but I decided I wanted to throw out a hail mary application. Trying to write the best possible essays, I wrote multiple drafts of different topics and scrambled to get my application off right before deadline. I turned in one of the wrong essays:( Not only does it include a typo (minor, but clearly a typo).it isn't the essay I intended to send. Should I send along the correct essay or does any benefit I would gain from the improved quality be outweighed by the fact that I didn't review my "final application" pdf before clicking send?

Sorry to hear about your relative. I would send an email updating your application with the correct version. I can't speak to whether or not it will look bad but I think you should give yourself the best chance and if you think your current version isn't reflective of that then I would say you should immediately send the version that is. Good luck!

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:00 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. I also agree that you should immediately (tonight) send an email with the updated essay. Keep the email short. Briefly apologize for and explain the circumstances behind your oversight (i.e. you were distracted by the passing of your relative shortly before the deadline) and request that the admissions committee consider the attached essay instead of the one submitted through the LSAC.

I don't think it will be a huge deal one way or the other. Just don't delay any longer on fixing the situation. I know someone who was borderline numbers-wise for Harvard and who forgot to include her résumé with her application. She sent it with a brief and apologetic email and was still admitted later on.

Good luck!

captainwasabi09

Postby captainwasabi09 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:29 pm

Geneva wrote:To readers that have already been accepted to the Yale c/o 2015: CONGRATULATIONS!!! :-) As an aspiring member of your class, I would greatly appreciate it if you would be willing to post your Yale 250 essays or to PM them to me. For some reason I am really struggling with the assignment and would benefit from the opportunity to look at more examples of successful essays. I have already been through the Yale 250 example thread, but think it would be especially useful to get a feel for what essays actually worked this year. Thanks in advance:)

Yale sent me a package including the successful 250s of members of the Asian American group on campus. Did you not receive one of those for your respective ethnic interest group?

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:51 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Aqua wrote: I turned in one of the wrong essays:( Not only does it include a typo (minor, but clearly a typo).it isn't the essay I intended to send.

I'm sorry for your loss. I also agree that you should immediately (tonight) send an email with the updated essay. Keep the email short. Briefly apologize for and explain the circumstances behind your oversight (i.e. you were distracted by the passing of your relative shortly before the deadline) and request that the admissions committee consider the attached essay instead of the one submitted through the LSAC.

Good luck!

I did something like this on my application to a school that I should have gotten into numbers wise and was just waitlisted. I did not have the legitimate excuse of a dying relative (I just sent a sloppy version by accident) and it was not a different essay topic (just a revised version). I called the school first to ask if it would be okay to resend the essay and apologized for accidentally sending the wrong file in my email with the correct version, but am almost certain my error is the reason I was waitlisted. Maybe your situation will be different because of the dying relative? But, I'm not sure. Bc in Yale's mind, you have had months before the relative died to get your materials together.

kingofspain

Postby kingofspain » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:42 am

When pondering such questions, I always think: would I reject someone for this error if I were an adcomm? In this case (and in almost all cases related to minor errors) the answer is absolutely not. I mean, I'm not an adcomm, and maybe they get mini god complexes from their work and take pleasure in smiting applicants for anything that displeases them... but probably not. They're still people.

ALSO, for Yale, you're probably going to be going into the faculty review process unless your application is amazing/terrible. Chances are the faculty members reading and scoring your application won't even know about this mix-up, as long as you get it sorted out quickly.

So don't worry too much about it! AFTER you email them the new essay with a short explanation, that is. Just a couple of sentences 1) apologizing sincerely for any inconvenience and 2) briefly explaining the circumstances. Personally, I would describe the situation but then "accept full responsibility" --- human error is easily forgivable, even among the best & brightest, but refusing to accept responsibility for a mistake is a bad sign.
Last edited by kingofspain on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astaris

Postby astaris » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:26 am

I just received a call from a coworker...aka an unknown 203 number, and since it's because I offered to work during my spring break, this probably won't be the last one I'll get in the next few weeks. eAW:LEJI!@#(!@Uoq3eilrwajesal.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:50 am

kingofspain wrote:When pondering such questions, I always think: would I reject someone for this error if I were an adcomm? In this case (and in almost all cases related to minor errors) the answer is absolutely not. I mean, I'm not an adcomm, and maybe they get mini god complexes from their work and take pleasure in smiting applicants for anything that displeases them... but probably not. They're still people.

ALSO, for Yale, you're probably going to be going into the faculty review process unless your application is amazing/terrible. Chances are the faculty members reading and scoring your application won't even know about this mix-up, as long as you get it sorted out quickly.

So don't worry too much about it! AFTER you email them the new essay with a short explanation, that is. Just a couple of sentences 1) apologizing sincerely for any inconvenience and 2) briefly explaining the circumstances. Personally, I would describe the situation but then "accept full responsibility" --- human error is easily forgivable, even among the best & brightest, but refusing to accept responsibility for a mistake is a bad sign.

This is unfortunately not true--Asha says that only the top 20% of files are sent to FR: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... ation.aspx

kingofspain

Postby kingofspain » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:58 am

cerealdan wrote:
kingofspain wrote:When pondering such questions, I always think: would I reject someone for this error if I were an adcomm? In this case (and in almost all cases related to minor errors) the answer is absolutely not. I mean, I'm not an adcomm, and maybe they get mini god complexes from their work and take pleasure in smiting applicants for anything that displeases them... but probably not. They're still people.

This is unfortunately not true--Asha says that only the top 20% of files are sent to FR: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... ation.aspx

Ah, I thought it was more than that, like 1/3-1/2... But yeah, I'll trust Asha on this one.

Still, I think the rest of my post stands, though maybe others disagree/are pickier about relatively small mistakes like that. I imagine most adcomms sincerely want to admit the best class they can, and if Aqua has a chance at admission anyway, I doubt this would make a difference.

rodney

Postby rodney » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:21 pm

I submitted my application Januray 13th, and then received an email from Yale on the 17th aknowledging that LSAC was sending the school my report. While the email said I should hear back within four weeks when my application status was complete, I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone find this odd? It has been six weeks. I'm considering calling the admissions office to see if any parts of my application are missing. Any thoughts?

vendetta73

Postby vendetta73 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:46 pm

rodney wrote:I submitted my application Januray 13th, and then received an email from Yale on the 17th aknowledging that LSAC was sending the school my report. While the email said I should hear back within four weeks when my application status was complete, I haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone find this odd? It has been six weeks. I'm considering calling the admissions office to see if any parts of my application are missing. Any thoughts?

FWIW, you've waited a lot longer than I did, and I submitted later (Jan 30). I got the email saying my app was expected in about a week on Feb 1, and got an "application complete" email exactly a week later, on Feb 8. If all of your transcripts and letters had been processed by LSAC by the time you submitted, it does seem a little weird that it would take so long. In any case, I think if they say "maybe as long as four weeks" and it's been significantly more than that, it's legit to call and ask what's up.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”