Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jim-green

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jim-green » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:56 am

MoC,

Where are the placed you lived? Iraq?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:15 pm

jim-green wrote:MoC,

Where are the placed you lived? Iraq?

What do you mean? Where do I live now or where all have I lived?

I haven't lived anywhere more than a year since college. But yes, I've spent time in Iraqi since around 2003. My first child was born in the UK.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks, that's awesome. I was just wondering about the places you've worked since you mentioned conflict zones earlier in this thread, and then talked about a UK passport, etc., I was just curious is all. Yale would love to have someone with your diverse background I am sure.

caminante

Postby caminante » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Yea, mumofcad is really the perfect candidate for Yale. She is so inspiring!

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:01 pm

jim-green wrote:Thanks, that's awesome. I was just wondering about the places you've worked since you mentioned conflict zones earlier in this thread, and then talked about a UK passport, etc., I was just curious is all. Yale would love to have someone with your diverse background I am sure.

Thanks guys. I wish I was unique for Yale, but Asha's seen it all before. The class profile is just amazing every time I read it.

Unfortunately, my son doesn't have a UK passport, just a visa. They stopped giving citizenship by birth around the mid-90s. However, they have a new PhD program in Scotland where you can get dual citizenship if you work in Scotland for three years after obtaining a PhD from a Scottish university. Won't be in the cards for me, but I know many an expat that has been driven there for doctoral studies in order to have a lower cost of living for their families and take advantage of this rule.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:36 pm

Very interesting, thanks.

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:26 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Personally, I would put Mr/Ms. I don't think social convention is to use Dr. as a prefix unless a medical doctor. Reeks of false pretension to me. I still address formal letters as Dr and Mr. to friends with PhDs, but your PhD is in your application. I think its enough as most PhDs prefer the suffix, as do most attorneys.

It is certainly pretentious and unnecessary to insist on being called 'Dr' in non-academic settings - when booking flights, being introduced at a party, et cetera.

But in academic contexts, it is perfectly acceptable. As a professor, students and staff would commonly refer to me as 'Dr,' as would other professors. Here are some examples of that practice from the Yale website:

http://english.yale.edu/faculty-staff/e ... -alexander
http://environment.yale.edu/profile/kellert/
http://www.yale.edu/yaleband/duffy.html

Indeed, in academic contexts, it would be misleading to put a 'Mr' or 'Ms' infront of your name if you have a PhD (unless you wrote 'Mr X, PhD' - but that would be odd). If for example, you were introduced at a conference as 'Mr X,' that would be seen as a way to indicate you didn't have a PhD. An application to a law school is an academic context. Since you can't write 'Jim Green, PhD,' you should use the 'Dr.'

Would it really be misleading? I hope not because I didn't put "Dr." for any of mine.... though I will for Yale if leaving it out could really be construed as misleading. I am just of the mind that your credentials speak for themselves. I agree there are situations where it is appropriate and those where it clearly is not (as previously mentioned). However, if I were to have an interview with Asha, I wouldn't say, "Hi Dean, nice to meet you, I am Dr. so-and-so." She will get around to knowing my credentials... But, I certainly would not want my failure to identify as "Dr." to be construed as misleading...

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Kimberly wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Personally, I would put Mr/Ms. I don't think social convention is to use Dr. as a prefix unless a medical doctor. Reeks of false pretension to me. I still address formal letters as Dr and Mr. to friends with PhDs, but your PhD is in your application. I think its enough as most PhDs prefer the suffix, as do most attorneys.

It is certainly pretentious and unnecessary to insist on being called 'Dr' in non-academic settings - when booking flights, being introduced at a party, et cetera.

But in academic contexts, it is perfectly acceptable. As a professor, students and staff would commonly refer to me as 'Dr,' as would other professors. Here are some examples of that practice from the Yale website:

Indeed, in academic contexts, it would be misleading to put a 'Mr' or 'Ms' infront of your name if you have a PhD (unless you wrote 'Mr X, PhD' - but that would be odd). If for example, you were introduced at a conference as 'Mr X,' that would be seen as a way to indicate you didn't have a PhD. An application to a law school is an academic context. Since you can't write 'Jim Green, PhD,' you should use the 'Dr.'

Would it really be misleading? I hope not because I didn't put "Dr." for any of mine.... though I will for Yale if leaving it out could really be construed as misleading. I am just of the mind that your credentials speak for themselves. I agree there are situations where it is appropriate and those where it clearly is not (as previously mentioned). However, if I were to have an interview with Asha, I wouldn't say, "Hi Dean, nice to meet you, I am Dr. so-and-so." She will get around to knowing my credentials... But, I certainly would not want my failure to identify as "Dr." to be construed as misleading...

The idea that is would be misleading is preposterous IMO. Misleading is something you do to make yourself out as something you aren't to get ahead. Downplaying an accomplishment will not harm you. Forget about this conversation as there is so much more to worry about that could actually hurt you. I mean seriously. You choose to address yourself as you would like to be addressed - end of story. She'll see on your resume that you have a PhD. Putting "Dr." as your prefix is a personal preference. Do it, don't do it, it won't effect your Yale prospects.

Can we all just stick a fork in this convo?

jungminnee

Postby jungminnee » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:56 pm

dropping by

Kimberly

Postby Kimberly » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:42 am

MumofCad wrote:
Kimberly wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:

The idea that is would be misleading is preposterous IMO. Misleading is something you do to make yourself out as something you aren't to get ahead. Downplaying an accomplishment will not harm you. Forget about this conversation as there is so much more to worry about that could actually hurt you. I mean seriously. You choose to address yourself as you would like to be addressed - end of story. She'll see on your resume that you have a PhD. Putting "Dr." as your prefix is a personal preference. Do it, don't do it, it won't effect your Yale prospects.

Can we all just stick a fork in this convo?

Agreed. Convo completed. ;)

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:47 am

Kimberly wrote:
Agreed. Convo completed. ;)

Great! Now we can all commence being anxious about the million things Yale really will find wrong with our applications/lives to ding us for lol. I'm putting money on my 250 - I'll be one of those "rarely" that are make or break by 250 of the wrong little words.

ETA: Just asked about the potential release of the app on the blog. Hope I get an answer!

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Checking in and anxiously awaiting the release of the application.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:09 pm

just wanted to confirm that yale does not have rolling admissions and so technically speaking, it shouldnt matter when one applies right?

i know it is still prob better to apply early though

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:54 pm

Yeah it doesn't have rolling admissions. Its just whether you want to possibly hear a little early if you somehow miraculously get auto-admitted and don't have to go through faculty review.

I can't check the blog, but I noticed the site now says they will start accepting apps between Oct 15 and Nov 1 so I asked on the 'get this party started' thread if they'd honed in on a date but the comment never appeared so we'll see....

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:23 pm

For recommendation letters, does 'received' on the LSAC website mean 'processed'? They have a symbol legend there and there is no 'processed'. They seem to end with 'received.' Does anyone report their letters saying 'processed?'

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:38 pm

jim-green wrote:For recommendation letters, does 'received' on the LSAC website mean 'processed'? They have a symbol legend there and there is no 'processed'. They seem to end with 'received.' Does anyone report their letters saying 'processed?'

If you received the email from LSAC about your LOR, then as far as I know that does mean they have been processed, especially if on your LSAC account it shows that they have that letter from your recommender.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:57 pm

noooo I thought the app was supposed to be up by oct. 15! i'm sad. (no one else can access it either right? it's not just me?)

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:08 pm

ladybug89 wrote:noooo I thought the app was supposed to be up by oct. 15! i'm sad. (no one else can access it either right? it's not just me?)

YLS is like the honey badger of law schools. It's badass and doesn't care.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:13 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
jim-green wrote:For recommendation letters, does 'received' on the LSAC website mean 'processed'? They have a symbol legend there and there is no 'processed'. They seem to end with 'received.' Does anyone report their letters saying 'processed?'
If you received the email from LSAC about your LOR, then as far as I know that does mean they have been processed, especially if on your LSAC account it shows that they have that letter from your recommender.
Thanks, that is helpful.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:46 pm

kulshan wrote:
ladybug89 wrote:noooo I thought the app was supposed to be up by oct. 15! i'm sad. (no one else can access it either right? it's not just me?)

YLS is like the honey badger of law schools. It's badass and doesn't care.

This.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi all! I am having a really hard time cutting my resume down to 1 page... I already deleted so much information that was important to me like 99% of my extracurricular activities in undergrad. Would anyone be willing to help me cut it down? It has a lot of identifying information so I don't want to post it publicly but if someone would be so kind as to help me via PM that would be SO helpful! Thanks in advance :)

yoiav

Postby yoiav » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:17 pm

nov. 5
over/under for app opening

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:02 am

yoiav wrote:nov. 5
over/under for app opening

Are you asking or telling? I saw the website still says Oct 15-Nov 1 for the beginning of applications....

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:04 am

freestallion wrote:Hi all! I am having a really hard time cutting my resume down to 1 page... I already deleted so much information that was important to me like 99% of my extracurricular activities in undergrad. Would anyone be willing to help me cut it down? It has a lot of identifying information so I don't want to post it publicly but if someone would be so kind as to help me via PM that would be SO helpful! Thanks in advance :)

I quit trying. I would wait to see the app. Its going to make everything much more clear about what could go. You might just delete the awards or education section entirely depending on how they have modified their version of the common app. Given the delay, I am assuming that it will not look exactly like some of the others.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:43 am

freestallion wrote:Hi all! I am having a really hard time cutting my resume down to 1 page... I already deleted so much information that was important to me like 99% of my extracurricular activities in undergrad. Would anyone be willing to help me cut it down? It has a lot of identifying information so I don't want to post it publicly but if someone would be so kind as to help me via PM that would be SO helpful! Thanks in advance :)

Just to follow up on my earlier post, I don't think your resume HAS to be 1 page. Mine was two pages and it didn't hurt me anywhere I applied. Unless YLS has a new 1-page-only limit, mostly just consider whether one brimming page looks better than two watered down ones. If you're confident all two pages will have impressive/interesting/substantive content, I don't think you MUST cut it down to one page. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”