Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
annyong

Bronze

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by annyong » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:58 pm

I also don't think I feel comfortable sharing my 250 in public, but I can share a bit about the topic and how I picked it if anyone wants. My topic was somewhat personal, and I think I went through a million and one redrafts, so while getting to see others is good in knowing what kind of topics can be written about and how to be concise with what you say, you will get more mileage by picking a topic that's important to you and working through it over a period of time (even though it's getting down to the point where time isn't really that much of an option, I understand). I also read Asha's blog post concerning the 250s and really used that to frame how I approached it.

mathrev

New

Post by mathrev » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:21 pm

So I am happy to bump this thread, as I have received news of an acceptance. Pretty amazing feeling when I saw that 203 on my phone. Such a long journey too, so it was unbelievable--It's difficult to express in words....

PM me if you want more info. I wish the best of luck to others!

Fortuitous

New

Post by Fortuitous » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 am

I was planning to apply to Yale, but just got placed on 'hold' at Columbia. I wonder if I should even bother writing the Yale 250 or spending the $100 at this point?

I know I am incredibly late in the cycle, but I'm a procrastinator and Asha claims that there is no advantage to applying to Yale early...

Honest feedback is appreciated.

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:37 am

Fortuitous wrote:I was planning to apply to Yale, but just got placed on 'hold' at Columbia. I wonder if I should even bother writing the Yale 250 or spending the $100 at this point?

I know I am incredibly late in the cycle, but I'm a procrastinator and Asha claims that there is no advantage to applying to Yale early...

Pretty sure at least one person who was held at Columbia is already in at Yale. So might as well take a shot?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:26 am

Fortuitous wrote:I was planning to apply to Yale, but just got placed on 'hold' at Columbia. I wonder if I should even bother writing the Yale 250 or spending the $100 at this point?

I've been accepted to Yale even though I was 'held' at Harvard and Penn - I think results like that are quite common.

Your numbers seem good. Do you have anything in your background that would help you stand out? If your softs are at least decent, you should definitely apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arewehavingfunyet

New

Post by arewehavingfunyet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:08 am

cerealdan wrote:
Pretty sure at least one person who was held at Columbia is already in at Yale. So might as well take a shot?
That would be me. What's up

Dino_Spumoni

New

Post by Dino_Spumoni » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:50 am

Anyone have an idea on how long it should take to go complete? I applied on the 15th and haven't received a complete notice though I know some others have who applied around when I did. When should I consider calling to check on my app?

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:02 am

arewehavingfunyet wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
Also happened to me. Life lesson = Don't predict things based on Columbia, put together the best app you can for Yale and sit back hoping they shock you.

thestillpoint

Bronze

Post by thestillpoint » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:04 am

Dino_Spumoni wrote:Anyone have an idea on how long it should take to go complete? I applied on the 15th and haven't received a complete notice though I know some others have who applied around when I did. When should I consider calling to check on my app?
I also applied on the 15th, and I just received the complete email yesterday right before 5 PM. I would bet you'll receive yours today or sometime this week, probably too early to consider calling-- especially since Yale says in the email to acknowledge electronic receipt: "Given our application volume, it may take as long as three weeks to process your application."

The complete emails also notes: "We ask that you please do not contact the Admissions Office to inquire about the status of your application; frequent phone and email inquiries delay consideration of applications."

Hold tight, and I'm sure you'll go complete soon!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:08 am

annyong wrote:
arewehavingfunyet wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
Also happened to me. Life lesson = Don't predict things based on Columbia, put together the best app you can for Yale and sit back hoping they shock you.
you guys are awesome. i have been so impressed by the humility and encouragement displayed by the tls yale applicants. i feel like each new update on here makes me even more eager to attend yale (if that is even possible)!

Aqua

New

Post by Aqua » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Would anyone on here be willing to swap Yale 250 drafts with me? I have read tons of sample essays from TLS, but I am unable to tell if mine is on target. My subject is a bit different/risky. I would really appreciate honest impressions before I click the submit button. If you PM me your essay I will get it back to you by tomorrow night. Please let me know!

Dino_Spumoni

New

Post by Dino_Spumoni » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:13 pm

thestillpoint wrote:
Dino_Spumoni wrote:Anyone have an idea on how long it should take to go complete? I applied on the 15th and haven't received a complete notice though I know some others have who applied around when I did. When should I consider calling to check on my app?
I also applied on the 15th, and I just received the complete email yesterday right before 5 PM. I would bet you'll receive yours today or sometime this week, probably too early to consider calling-- especially since Yale says in the email to acknowledge electronic receipt: "Given our application volume, it may take as long as three weeks to process your application."

The complete emails also notes: "We ask that you please do not contact the Admissions Office to inquire about the status of your application; frequent phone and email inquiries delay consideration of applications."

Hold tight, and I'm sure you'll go complete soon!
Thanks for your response. I just thought it was weird that others got one and I hadn't. But I'll take your advice and hold tight. You are clearly better at reading emails and following instructions than I am. LOL

Best of luck!!!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:26 pm

annyong wrote:
arewehavingfunyet wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
WTF is wrong with Columbia? I'm glad Yale was smart enough to take you guys.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:28 pm

just submitted my app... what up hail mary

JLin179

New

Post by JLin179 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:47 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=178933

FYI, current student here taking Qs in another thread about Yale and New Haven.

theblackjacobins

New

Post by theblackjacobins » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:11 pm

mathrev wrote:So I am happy to bump this thread, as I have received news of an acceptance. Pretty amazing feeling when I saw that 203 on my phone. Such a long journey too, so it was unbelievable--It's difficult to express in words....

PM me if you want more info. I wish the best of luck to others!
Congratulations!

What did you do after you heard the news of your acceptance? Did you drink your soul away? LOL.

Fortuitous

New

Post by Fortuitous » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Anyone on here willing to read over my 250 essay? I would be more than happy to do the same for you in return. If so, please PM me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

theblackjacobins

New

Post by theblackjacobins » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:00 pm

arewehavingfunyet wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
@arewehavingfunyet,

Congratulations on your acceptances!!
You must really have something that appealed to the faculty reviewers at Stanford and Yale!
Could you briefly share, in general terms, what kinds of softs you had?
Were you a Rhodes scholar? Or perhaps had strong publication credentials? Or perhaps athletics?

Thanks!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:13 pm

theblackjacobins wrote:
arewehavingfunyet wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
@arewehavingfunyet,

You must really have something that appealed to the faculty reviewers at Stanford and Yale!
Were you a Rhodes scholar? Or perhaps had strong publication credentials? Or perhaps athletics?

Thanks!
0L gunner, ahoy!

westbayguy

Bronze

Post by westbayguy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:33 pm

They will admit to buck up the Law School basketball or flag football team? Awesome!

arewehavingfunyet

New

Post by arewehavingfunyet » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:06 pm

theblackjacobins wrote:
arewehavingfunyet wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
@arewehavingfunyet,

Thanks!

....All...Three...? Plus I'm Asha's son. For real though, if you really care, feel free to PM me and I will let you know.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:19 pm

theblackjacobins wrote:
arewehavingfunyet wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
@arewehavingfunyet,

Thanks!
unless you were a professional athlete...being a college athlete really wont distinguish you that much...and its certainly not on par with a rhodes scholar or a person who has published a lot

Fortuitous

New

Post by Fortuitous » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:53 pm

i would really appreciate it if someone that has already been accepted would be willing to look over my yale 250 to make sure it isn't totally awful. i just want to get a sense of if i am on the right track--not looking for u to make grammatical or stylistic changes. if u r willing, please pm me. a million thanks in advance.

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:08 am

Alrighty no more apps coming in. Let's get some acceptance waves out YLS.

jd5

Bronze

Post by jd5 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:33 am

Wellll the deadline's actually midnight tonight. So there might still be a few more apps on their way to New Haven.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”