Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jpal13

Bronze

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by jpal13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 am

I got the dreaded envelope yesterday. I knew I was an auto ding and had no hope. I was already rejected at Harvard in the first wave but when I got into Columbia i began to think well mayyyyybbbbbeeeee there's a chance.

My point is, even though I was 99% a auto ding it still crushed me. Then I remember as I look around that choosing between Columbia and Penn still makes me an incredibly lucky person. I guess this post is about trying to comfort myself. Hold me TLS!

Also, on this best personal statement ever comment someone made I have to say I've outperformed my numbers and I think it was in part because my personal statement was a little blander emotionally than most I read. After reading a million samples of overly emotional personal statements I really toned my down and focused on my strengths. It was totally a positive message from start to finish.

But was my ps the best ever? Hells no.

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks for the devil's advocating JoMoe! I also really do have a Master's degree from MIT, and an accomplished career in the areas of art/research/technology.

I'm paranoid that adcoms will see these interactions and ding me for not playing well with others. There is no other applicant who went to the top art school in the country and then the top research institution in the country, so they'd have me pegged....

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:43 am

ned wrote:Thanks for the devil's advocating JoMoe! I also really do have a Master's degree from MIT, and an accomplished career in the areas of art/research/technology.

I'm paranoid that adcoms will see these interactions and ding me for not playing well with others. There is no other applicant who went to the top art school in the country and then the top research institution in the country, so they'd have me pegged....
Why is it that the more you talk the more I dislike you?

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:45 am

I suppose that's between you and your shrink. But feel free to answer your own question for the sake of everyone's entertainment. I'm all ears. What is it with you guys?

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:00 am

ned wrote:I suppose that's between you and your shrink. But feel free to answer your own question for the sake of everyone's entertainment. I'm all ears. What is it with you guys?
Well, this isn't a professional opinion, but my disdain might have something to with the humblebrags, the not-so-humblebrags, and your attempts to correct or transcend the admittedly imperfect medium called TLS. See below:
Thanks for the devil's advocating JoMoe! I also really do have a Master's degree from MIT, and an accomplished career in the areas of art/research/technology.

Perhaps my wit is too dry
very interesting softs, solid LORs, unique resume, and possibly the best personal statement Asha will read all year
It seems that text-based forums are the wrong place for deadpan delivery and lighthearted critique of an absurd process. Or maybe everyone's nerves are frayed right now. It's a good thing that "sense of humor" is not one of the requirements for law school admission.
I think it would be a good idea for you to go socialize in the lounge. You've managed to piss off a bunch of nice Yale applicants. Maybe they'll be more accepting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yankees42789

Bronze

Post by yankees42789 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:01 am

ned wrote:Thanks for the devil's advocating JoMoe! I also really do have a Master's degree from MIT, and an accomplished career in the areas of art/research/technology.

Just relax. Everybody here is stressed after months of waiting (which is compounded by reading every neurosis from people equally stressed from months of waiting) and when you come here making bold statements (intended to be ironic or not) and engaging in arguments, it rubs some people the wrong way.

And no, I'm sure the adcoms don't really care about what you say or how you interact with others on TLS. PS: Hi Asha!

ladeornmc

New

Post by ladeornmc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:05 am

They won't ding you for not playing well with others, they'll ding you for getting a 163 on your LSAT.

Every year a few hundred people who are both accomplished with unique backgrounds and have 3.9 GPAs with 174+ LSAT scores get into Yale. Unless you're URM you have the slightest of slightest chances in getting in.

Your audacity and naivety towards the whole process is why everyone is jumping down your throat.

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 am

I stated in my original post that I fully expect a ding. But from my experience, there is no such thing as an "auto-ding", because I would be in that category. The rest is history.

That said, I understand people are stressed but I'm appalled and disappointed at the treatment I've gotten here. I've bumped into some unhappy/insecure campers. So I respectfully withdraw from this thread. This has not been a wise use of my time.

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:22 am

Byzantine wrote:

We may read someone's posts and think "what a tool", but let's not say it so bluntly :) play nice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seahawk32

Bronze

Post by seahawk32 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:28 am

no mail today.
Last edited by seahawk32 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Byzantine wrote:

Because s/he is an egotistical dick :lol:

Byzantine

Bronze

Post by Byzantine » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:10 pm

jpal13 wrote:
Byzantine wrote:

We may read someone's posts and think "what a tool", but let's not say it so bluntly :) play nice
Yeah that was a little blunt. I'm kinda touchy today.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding :) Not too surprised, and I'm actually just really thankful that unlike all these other schools Holding me Yale was good enough to just tell me no. Dated Feb 3rd, Arrived in Canada Feb 10th.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jerichosm

Bronze

Post by jerichosm » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Should've waited until you got your PhD in Astronomy

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm

jerichosm wrote:

Should've waited until you got your PhD in Astronomy
LMAO

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 pm

No mail :D

I hope mail's not just slow.

doppelganger

Bronze

Post by doppelganger » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:15 am

ned wrote:I suppose that's between you and your shrink. But feel free to answer your own question for the sake of everyone's entertainment. I'm all ears. What is it with you guys?
Are you familiar with the symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Haha, I was curious if you guys were still fixating. It's so pathetic and juvenile. To the angry trolls who think it's funny to belittle a PhD in Astronomy from MIT and people with Aspergers, grow the ef up. Must the internet be such a douche factory? Step away from the computer, take a shower, and get laid if you can find a mate to overlook your douchebaggery.

I find it curious that I'm attacked for nothing more than making light of TLS common wisdom. Then when I address attacks on my academic record by presenting my situation as an example, I'm called a "dick", "egotistical", and some F-stick decides to expound on his misplaced hatred with an alarmingly time-consuming response.

From how much time some of you seem to spend here, I'm assuming you're very isolated and lonely. Probably no love in your life, possibly even friendless. Ever wonder why people with amazing numbers get rejected? Look in the mirror.

Now, everyone. Move on. Your further fixation will only prove my point.

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:15 pm

ned wrote:alarmingly time-consuming response.
Your post was longest. Just saying...

pupshaw

Silver

Post by pupshaw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:23 pm

ned wrote:Haha, I was curious if you guys were still fixating. It's so pathetic and juvenile. To the angry trolls who think it's funny to belittle a PhD in Astronomy from MIT and people with Aspergers, grow the ef up. Must the internet be such a douche factory? Step away from the computer, take a shower, and get laid if you can find a mate to overlook your douchebaggery.

I find it curious that I'm attacked for nothing more than making light of TLS common wisdom. Then when I address attacks on my academic record by presenting my situation as an example, I'm called a "dick", "egotistical", and some F-stick decides to expound on his misplaced hatred with an alarmingly time-consuming response.

From how much time some of you seem to spend here, I'm assuming you're very isolated and lonely. Probably no love in your life, possibly even friendless. Ever wonder why people with amazing numbers get rejected? Look in the mirror.

Now, everyone. Move on. Your further fixation will only prove my point.

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:40 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
Ah, first person to prove my point. You are equating the time spent by random trolls attacking a stranger, and the time an individual takes to defending himself. I'm sure you are smart enough to understand the difference, and yet you pretend it's equivalent. Strange.

Just saying.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JosephusMyer

New

Post by JosephusMyer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:44 pm

ned wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
Ah, first person to prove my point. You are equating the time spent by random trolls attacking a stranger, and the time an individual takes to defending himself. I'm sure you are smart enough to understand the difference, and yet you pretend it's equivalent. Strange.

Just saying.
I believe this College Humor video is appropriate: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/39800 ... -flame-war

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:45 pm

Ah everyone bumping this thread keeps making me worried something Yale-related is going on

ladeornmc

New

Post by ladeornmc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:21 pm

ned wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:

Just saying.
What do you expect when you're talking to a bunch of people who don't have a PhD in astronomy? Of course they aren't smart enough to understand the difference.

xwing_redleader

Bronze

Post by xwing_redleader » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:29 pm

posting in epic thread about ned.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”