Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MumofCad

Silver

Re: Yale c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by MumofCad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Saw this today too though it seems to be a week old. Funny coincidence.

Relieved to see they clearly have concerns with the flex app and their previous standards. I'm hopeful now that the resume thing won't be a big deal this year given the difficulties with the presentation of material in the flex app.

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks for the information guys! I get a little discouraged about Yale everytime I read the class profile, but I'm gonna put as much of an effort into the application as I can!

When the app does become available, is anyone here submitting early or will you take advantage of the non-rolling admissions? Are any offers given out earlier in the cycle (or would that only be for auto-admits, if Yale has such a thing)?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:45 pm

annyong wrote:Thanks for the information guys! I get a little discouraged about Yale everytime I read the class profile, but I'm gonna put as much of an effort into the application as I can!

When the app does become available, is anyone here submitting early or will you take advantage of the non-rolling admissions? Are any offers given out earlier in the cycle (or would that only be for auto-admits, if Yale has such a thing)?
Yale does have auto-admits that don't go through faculty review - about 50-60 each year. These usually get an offer before Christmas break, but given the app delay...who knows. The other 200 successful applicants will go through faculty review.

I plan to admit as soon as it becomes available, though I'll be away Oct15th-18th. I hope to get it in as soon as I get home. I really can't push this decision too far into spring because of my family.

ignatiusr

New

Post by ignatiusr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm

250 question: I was an English major in undergrad and I have a small book of poetry coming out later this year (don't freak out: I don't intend to write poetry as my 250!). My PS describes my background in poetry and the ways in which poetic sensibilities complement legal writing. The PS mentions a particular poet that inspired my work, and I'm considering writing a critical response to one of his poems as my 250. It would not be flowery or emotional commentary; it would be (ideally) a careful and scholarly critique. However, is it a good idea for there to be so much crossover between the PS and the 250? The voice in the 250 would be very different; the PS tells my story, whereas the 250 would be largely academic and impersonal (maybe even a third person voice). Also, I'm wondering if I would need to include the poem itself as a reference point, and if the adcomm would be annoyed by the inclusion of additional text that didn't factor into the maximum word requirement.

Thoughts on the wisdom of this idea would be much appreciated.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm not sure you would need to include the actual poem. They can look it up if they so desire. They are more interested in the reason, logic, and content of what you are saying I think. I've seen loads of 250s that referenced philosophers or works and they don't include those. I doubt its reasonable to assume Asha or any of the profs are familiar with any particular piece of philosophical, literature, etc. piece. I would just write the 250 on the topic and add a footnote to the particular piece in case they want to look it up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:46 pm

ignatiusr wrote:250 question: I was an English major in undergrad and I have a small book of poetry coming out later this year (don't freak out: I don't intend to write poetry as my 250!). My PS describes my background in poetry and the ways in which poetic sensibilities complement legal writing. The PS mentions a particular poet that inspired my work, and I'm considering writing a critical response to one of his poems as my 250. It would not be flowery or emotional commentary; it would be (ideally) a careful and scholarly critique. However, is it a good idea for there to be so much crossover between the PS and the 250? The voice in the 250 would be very different; the PS tells my story, whereas the 250 would be largely academic and impersonal (maybe even a third person voice). Also, I'm wondering if I would need to include the poem itself as a reference point, and if the adcomm would be annoyed by the inclusion of additional text that didn't factor into the maximum word requirement.

Consider Asha's warning about being a "One-trick-pony"

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... trick.aspx

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Well if anyone would like to fill the time waiting for apps to become available by swapping 250s, I'd be glad to. I haven't touched mine in a couple months and I need to start tweaking it again...or scrapping the whole thing and starting over...I can never quite tell :P

ignatiusr

New

Post by ignatiusr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:18 pm

caminante wrote:
ignatiusr wrote:250 question: I was an English major in undergrad and I have a small book of poetry coming out later this year (don't freak out: I don't intend to write poetry as my 250!). My PS describes my background in poetry and the ways in which poetic sensibilities complement legal writing. The PS mentions a particular poet that inspired my work, and I'm considering writing a critical response to one of his poems as my 250. It would not be flowery or emotional commentary; it would be (ideally) a careful and scholarly critique. However, is it a good idea for there to be so much crossover between the PS and the 250? The voice in the 250 would be very different; the PS tells my story, whereas the 250 would be largely academic and impersonal (maybe even a third person voice). Also, I'm wondering if I would need to include the poem itself as a reference point, and if the adcomm would be annoyed by the inclusion of additional text that didn't factor into the maximum word requirement.

Consider Asha's warning about being a "One-trick-pony"

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... trick.aspx
Thanks for the word of caution. I will definitely take that into account.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:45 am

For folks with PhDs, is the prefix 'Dr.' before name on biographical page OK?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Whoa. Just got an email from Yale inviting me to a video webinar with other prospective law school applicants from my UG school. The Director of Admissions will be available to directly answer our questions. :shock:

In shock to get any email from Yale, haha. But this can't mean anything because I haven't even applied.. right?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:16 pm

jim-green wrote:For folks with PhDs, is the prefix 'Dr.' before name on biographical page OK?
That's what I've been doing for my other applications. Why would it not be OK? PhD = Dr.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:18 pm

freestallion wrote:Whoa. Just got an email from Yale inviting me to a video webinar with other prospective law school applicants from my UG school. The Director of Admissions will be available to directly answer our questions. :shock:

In shock to get any email from Yale, haha. But this can't mean anything because I haven't even applied.. right?
Yeah, they've had a few of these, but its still a good chance to ask questions!

Ask if they are really going to make the app available on a Sat! And if still only want a 1 page resume given the problems with the flex app. I have questions lol!

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:22 pm

That's pretty awesome of them to make the effort to do this and answer questions. As if Yale isn't awesome enough already. Mumofcad those are good questions, I will ask them lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:45 am

jim-green wrote:For folks with PhDs, is the prefix 'Dr.' before name on biographical page OK?
It might seem kinda.... hmmm.... insecure to identify yourself as "Dr." Don't you think it will be pretty clear from reading your app that you have a phd? I would personally err on the side of humility.... but that is just me.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:51 am

Kimberly wrote:
It might seem kinda.... hmmm.... insecure to identify yourself as "Dr." Don't you think it will be pretty clear from reading your app that you have a phd? I would personally err on the side of humility.... but that is just me.
+1, heck, i was afraid to even select Mr.!...i left the prefix slot blank for all my apps...considering i would be fresh outa undergrad and having just gotten the ability to drink legally, i thought making somebody refer to me as Mr. would be a bit too much

Gizmo

New

Post by Gizmo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:15 am

thederangedwang wrote:
Kimberly wrote:
+1, heck, i was afraid to even select Mr.!...i left the prefix slot blank for all my apps...considering i would be fresh outa undergrad and having just gotten the ability to drink legally, i thought making somebody refer to me as Mr. would be a bit too much
It doesn't seem insecure at all. Getting a PhD is an impressive accomplishment that requires a lot of work, more than many realize. I'm not saying that it's something you should flaunt, lord over others, or feel the need to bring up in conversation, but the title was fairly earned and you should be proud of that. I don't think anyone with a comparable professional or graduate degree would find it off-putting at all.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:06 am

The reason I asked about the PhD is because one is not supposed to say Dr. Jim Green with a PhD. One should say Jim Green, PhD.
Only MDs (non-surgeons) are allowed to say Dr. Jim Green. Additionally, if one is a surgeon, one is called Mr. (social convention).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:18 am

jim-green wrote:The reason I asked about the PhD is because one is not supposed to say Dr. Jim Green with a PhD. One should say Jim Green, PhD.
Only MDs (non-surgeons) are allowed to say Dr. Jim Green. Additionally, if one is a surgeon, one is called Mr. (social convention).
Lol, wut? This is so false.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 am

Kimberly wrote:
Personally, I would put Mr/Ms. I don't think social convention is to use Dr. as a prefix unless a medical doctor. Reeks of false pretension to me. I still address formal letters as Dr and Mr. to friends with PhDs, but your PhD is in your application. I think its enough as most PhDs prefer the suffix, as do most attorneys.

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:32 am

In my experience, everyone who is a MD or has a PhD (or 'equivalent' such as an EdD) can call themselves Dr.
It is really based on preference though.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:34 am

I think we should bring to the United States the Continental European norm of calling those with a law degree 'Dr.' as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:07 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:I think we should bring to the United States the Continental European norm of calling those with a law degree 'Dr.' as well.
+1

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:36 am

MumofCad wrote:Personally, I would put Mr/Ms. I don't think social convention is to use Dr. as a prefix unless a medical doctor. Reeks of false pretension to me. I still address formal letters as Dr and Mr. to friends with PhDs, but your PhD is in your application. I think its enough as most PhDs prefer the suffix, as do most attorneys.
It is certainly pretentious and unnecessary to insist on being called 'Dr' in non-academic settings - when booking flights, being introduced at a party, et cetera.

But in academic contexts, it is perfectly acceptable. As a professor, students and staff would commonly refer to me as 'Dr,' as would other professors. Here are some examples of that practice from the Yale website:

http://english.yale.edu/faculty-staff/e ... -alexander
http://environment.yale.edu/profile/kellert/
http://www.yale.edu/yaleband/duffy.html

Indeed, in academic contexts, it would be misleading to put a 'Mr' or 'Ms' infront of your name if you have a PhD (unless you wrote 'Mr X, PhD' - but that would be odd). If for example, you were introduced at a conference as 'Mr X,' that would be seen as a way to indicate you didn't have a PhD. An application to a law school is an academic context. Since you can't write 'Jim Green, PhD,' you should use the 'Dr.'

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 am

AP's is the best answer so far. Thanks, AP!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:43 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:I think we should bring to the United States the Continental European norm of calling those with a law degree 'Dr.' as well.
Hahaha - I feel the opposite. I hate the practice of using Dr, but I recognize its a personal taste thing. These things make me chafe. In 6 months if someone calls me doctor, I'd probably bust up laughing. Thanks, but no thanks. Though they totally would in the UK.

Although I do really like the British use of the word Master - My son was called Master Parker on all his official British documents. That was just fun. My mom still calls him Master Parker when he's being a brat.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”