Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sanetruth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:39 pm

sanetruth wrote:Is there anyone else besides me who got into ASW last week but still hasn't received a letter?


Bumping this. Anyone? According to USPS, a letter from Michigan to NY should take 3 days at most. It's been 7.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:43 pm

JoeMo wrote:


Congrats on the absolute awesomeness of your cycle!

And wow, by Christmas, you are not joking.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I have no choice. I've got a lot of other things to juggle. My mom and I were just talking about it this morning. If I was straight out of UG or pre-marriage, I could easily push it to the last day and my list of schools would look very different than it does. I am sure I will have heard nothing from at least one school I really love and it will be painful, but no worse than not being able to go at all because I can't relocate quickly enough.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:44 pm

sanetruth wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Is there anyone else besides me who got into ASW last week but still hasn't received a letter?


Bumping this. Anyone? According to USPS, a letter from Michigan to NY should take 3 days at most. It's been 7.


What's the mailing date on your ASW mailing list?

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sanetruth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:48 pm

MumofCad wrote:
sanetruth wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Is there anyone else besides me who got into ASW last week but still hasn't received a letter?


Bumping this. Anyone? According to USPS, a letter from Michigan to NY should take 3 days at most. It's been 7.


What's the mailing date on your ASW mailing list?


November 2nd.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:54 pm

sanetruth wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
sanetruth wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Is there anyone else besides me who got into ASW last week but still hasn't received a letter?


Bumping this. Anyone? According to USPS, a letter from Michigan to NY should take 3 days at most. It's been 7.


What's the mailing date on your ASW mailing list?


November 2nd.


Well technically, the site says to wait 15 days from ticking over to "decision" to contact the office. As bad as waiting is, I would respect that timeline. They can always resend if its lost.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:18 pm

MumofCad wrote:
JoeMo wrote:


Congrats on the absolute awesomeness of your cycle!

And wow, by Christmas, you are not joking.


Unfortunately, I have no choice. I've got a lot of other things to juggle. My mom and I were just talking about it this morning. If I was straight out of UG or pre-marriage, I could easily push it to the last day and my list of schools would look very different than it does. I am sure I will have heard nothing from at least one school I really love and it will be painful, but no worse than not being able to go at all because I can't relocate quickly enough.[/quote]

Ahhh yes... the perils of not being straight out of UG. That's the same sort of issue I have. Relocation for me is not as easy as picking up. Although I'm aiming for March for my drop dead date of when I need to have a decision made.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:22 pm

JoeMo wrote:Ahhh yes... the perils of not being straight out of UG. That's the same sort of issue I have. Relocation for me is not as easy as picking up. Although I'm aiming for March for my drop dead date of when I need to have a decision made.


Yep, plus I'm having a baby at the beginning of January, so I'm not sure I want to really be dealing with this stuff then, while selling my house, having my husband look for a job, negotiating to get the kids into a school, finding a new house, defending my dissertation, etc. This is my third and I've found its best not to make any life-altering decisions when you are going on very little sleep. So your March is my January lol.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:59 pm

MumofCad wrote:
JoeMo wrote:Ahhh yes... the perils of not being straight out of UG. That's the same sort of issue I have. Relocation for me is not as easy as picking up. Although I'm aiming for March for my drop dead date of when I need to have a decision made.


Yep, plus I'm having a baby at the beginning of January, so I'm not sure I want to really be dealing with this stuff then, while selling my house, having my husband look for a job, negotiating to get the kids into a school, finding a new house, defending my dissertation, etc. This is my third and I've found its best not to make any life-altering decisions when you are going on very little sleep. So your March is my January lol.


OH MY GOD!!!! You're doing this all while pregnant? you really are like superwoman.

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby paul34 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:04 pm

.
Last edited by paul34 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Strange
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:23 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Strange » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Ugh, I have to wait until March for a fee waiver refund. :(

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:45 pm

sanetruth wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Is there anyone else besides me who got into ASW last week but still hasn't received a letter?


Bumping this. Anyone? According to USPS, a letter from Michigan to NY should take 3 days at most. It's been 7.


Yeah, except the law school probably doesn't put it in the mail. The campus mail office does. They aren't known for being super fast. It also takes time to print, etc. Dean Z has said on her blog she only makes a few decisions a day. I'd think they wait and run off a few days at a time. I wouldn't worry about it.

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sanetruth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:40 pm

blowhard wrote:
sanetruth wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Is there anyone else besides me who got into ASW last week but still hasn't received a letter?


Bumping this. Anyone? According to USPS, a letter from Michigan to NY should take 3 days at most. It's been 7.


Yeah, except the law school probably doesn't put it in the mail. The campus mail office does. They aren't known for being super fast. It also takes time to print, etc. Dean Z has said on her blog she only makes a few decisions a day. I'd think they wait and run off a few days at a time. I wouldn't worry about it.


So when the status checker says 'decision: a decision has been mailed to you' and the ASW site says 'a letter was sent on November 2nd' thats just not true?

I know i'm complaining about this a lot, it's just a really silly system. (BTW, no mail from Michigan again today, that officially makes it a week). I know that only less than 10 years ago people just had to check their mailboxes, but they didn't have a page online TELLING them to check their mailboxes. Also, If Michigan really was super concerned about having the 'acceptance moment' be purely via mail, they wouldn't have the log in info for the ASW be exactly the same as the status checker, because they clearly know everyone logs in there first.

I just want to be able to tell people I got in and make plans and I feel weird being like 'oh I got in. well, i THINK i got in. i snuck into their admitted students site.' something tells me my friends/family won't be 100% convinced by that.

ignatiusr
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ignatiusr » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:42 pm

I submitted on 10/8 and sent an e-mail requesting that they add my Why Mich on 10/17. They responded quickly and said they'd be happy to add it. Since I haven't heard back yet, I'm becoming paranoid that the essay somehow didn't get added. Without it, I'm probably in danger of YP (above both 75ths). It would probably be unnecessary and annoying to e-mail them again and reconfirm that the essay got added, right? I'm just starting to worry bc a lot of people who submitted roughly around the time I did have already been admitted, and I felt like my app was strong enough to warrant a response by now. Also concerned that, even if I am admitted, the length of time it's taking doesn't bode well for my scholarship chances.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:54 pm

sanetruth wrote:
blowhard wrote:
sanetruth wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Is there anyone else besides me who got into ASW last week but still hasn't received a letter?


Bumping this. Anyone? According to USPS, a letter from Michigan to NY should take 3 days at most. It's been 7.


Yeah, except the law school probably doesn't put it in the mail. The campus mail office does. They aren't known for being super fast. It also takes time to print, etc. Dean Z has said on her blog she only makes a few decisions a day. I'd think they wait and run off a few days at a time. I wouldn't worry about it.


So when the status checker says 'decision: a decision has been mailed to you' and the ASW site says 'a letter was sent on November 2nd' thats just not true?

I know i'm complaining about this a lot, it's just a really silly system. (BTW, no mail from Michigan again today, that officially makes it a week). I know that only less than 10 years ago people just had to check their mailboxes, but they didn't have a page online TELLING them to check their mailboxes. Also, If Michigan really was super concerned about having the 'acceptance moment' be purely via mail, they wouldn't have the log in info for the ASW be exactly the same as the status checker, because they clearly know everyone logs in there first.

I just want to be able to tell people I got in and make plans and I feel weird being like 'oh I got in. well, i THINK i got in. i snuck into their admitted students site.' something tells me my friends/family won't be 100% convinced by that.


Chill out. The login is the same because the systems match up. You have a friends and family uniqname. Once admitted and your deposits are paid, you'll create your real one and it'll be used for everything (and I mean everything). It would be a ton of duplication to have an entirely separate login system when they already have everything in place for uniqnames.

If you're that worried about it...call them. But I suggest you drop the sense of entitlement. They are dealing with thousands of applications. Your's isn't special. Cut them a break. Just because in your one instance things didn't go perfectly doesn't mean they should re-design what's worked for years. Especially since it may not even be their fault. The date in the system is the date the letter is dated. That doesn't mean it was postmarked that day. Can you imagine how much work it would be to update that individually for each person?

Edit: I should add...this kind of reaction is why some schools hold and release in huge waves. I'd suggest you not mess it up for everyone in subsequent years. They could just as easily admit no one until they were ready and made sure everything was in place for them.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Samara » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:59 pm

blowhard wrote:Chill out. The login is the same because the systems match up. You have a friends and family uniqname. Once admitted and your deposits are paid, you'll create your real one and it'll be used for everything (and I mean everything). It would be a ton of duplication to have an entirely separate login system when they already have everything in place for uniqnames.

If you're that worried about it...call them. But I suggest you drop the sense of entitlement. They are dealing with thousands of applications. Your's isn't special. Cut them a break. Just because in your one instance things didn't go perfectly doesn't mean they should re-design what's worked for years. Especially since it may not even be their fault. The date in the system is the date the letter is dated. That doesn't mean it was postmarked that day. Can you imagine how much work it would be to update that individually for each person?

Seriously. It's still early November. Classes don't start for several months. What kind of plans are you making that can't wait a few more days? Some of you people in these threads need to take a shot of whiskey or something. Calm you down.

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sanetruth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Whoa, damn. I apologize, it's a stressful time. I'll chill out, no need to get feisty.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:25 pm

sanetruth wrote:Whoa, damn. I apologize, it's a stressful time. I'll chill out, no need to get feisty.


I'm not getting feisty. But if you think this is stressful, wait until finals/OCI. I got dinged by one employer 4 times...all by mail...all letters dated differently. Another one dinged me with a letter dated a day before I met them. You just have to learn to accept they are dealing with thousands of people.

You just need to learn to manage your angst a little better. It still extremely early. Decisions started going out a few days ago. They aren't going to fill the class in a week...I promise. I found out on Christmas Eve the year I applied and they admitted a ton of people after that. I assure you though, if you can get into the ASW site you're in.

Edit: You're sure your address is correct in your app right?

User avatar
erv2107
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby erv2107 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:08 pm

sanetruth wrote:Whoa, damn. I apologize, it's a stressful time. I'll chill out, no need to get feisty.


Although I'm 100% sure you're in, I do understand your stress about not receiving the packet yet. I know I would feel the same way. I think it would be okay to call them or write a polite email. Of course, it might be good to wait until the 10 days (or whatever it says on the status checker page) have passed, though I know that's easier said than done!

But you really can go ahead and celebrate! :D

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:11 pm

status checker!!! where are you?

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:52 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:status checker!!! where are you?


When did you get your app in?

User avatar
cubbiesyear
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby cubbiesyear » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:17 pm

Hey all!

Who else is a mid-october complete?

Gotten a decision yet?

User avatar
ShulmanSR
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ShulmanSR » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:status checker!!! where are you?



JMJ. Same thing for meeeee. Waiting waiting waiting.

Submitted 10/30
Received 11/3

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelong » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:15 pm

ShulmanSR wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:status checker!!! where are you?



JMJ. Same thing for meeeee. Waiting waiting waiting.

Submitted 10/30
Received 11/3


Me too.

Submitted 10/31
Received 11/4

So, anytime in the next 2-5 weeks? Oh jeez.

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Killingly » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:18 pm

thelong wrote:
ShulmanSR wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:status checker!!! where are you?



JMJ. Same thing for meeeee. Waiting waiting waiting.

Submitted 10/30
Received 11/3


Me too.

Submitted 10/31
Received 11/4

So, anytime in the next 2-5 weeks? Oh jeez.


+1

Submitted 10/28, received 11/3

User avatar
AmoryB
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AmoryB » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Killingly wrote:
thelong wrote:
ShulmanSR wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:status checker!!! where are you?



JMJ. Same thing for meeeee. Waiting waiting waiting.

Submitted 10/30
Received 11/3


Me too.

Submitted 10/31
Received 11/4

So, anytime in the next 2-5 weeks? Oh jeez.


+1

Submitted 10/28, received 11/3


Same boat:

Submitted - 10/29
Received - 11/3

Here's to hoping for one more status checker to neurotically monitor.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, BACsop, BruiseWillis, LAW1995, NotAGolfer, proteinshake, studyingeveryday and 27 guests