Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Curious1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:08 pm

blowhard wrote:This may be an appropriate time for this post... Last year there were several group-think freakouts on TLS with people applying to Michigan. Including people interpreting status e-mails to mean they were waitlisted. (Michigan will typically send an e-mail if you've been under consideration for a while just to say they haven't forgotten about you.) In another instance, a poster on TLS lied about the admissions office threatening her if she tried to be released from ED. http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=25d7bafe-6cf5-40c1-b79c-ab1d396f558f&ID=47&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elaw%2Eumich%2Eedu%2Fconnection%2Fa2z%2Farchive%2Easpx&Web=09aab93a-cbf8-4268-8d95-23397d820295

They received dozens of panicked calls from TLS people asking the same questions. In the end, it took several e-mails from me to the admissions office (and Dean Z's blog post) to finally quell everyones fears. This cannot and should not happen again. Our admissions office is not out to get you. They are probably the most down-to-earth people in the profession. I know it's hard, but try not to read motives into every little situation or occurrence. If you are concerned about something or have a question, do not rant/rave on TLS and try to work others up. Either call the office yourself or PM me/another current student (if you are so afraid to do so) and we will contact the admissions office with your question. They won't bite, I promise.


What I don't understand is why they can't just email or call to let you know you're in. No...it has to be mail first...

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:10 pm

Curious1 wrote:
What I don't understand is why they can't just email or call to let you know you're in. No...it has to be mail first...


They send this ultra-nice packet with a handwritten note and flash-drive with a video of the school. I agree it could be helpful but they've made a decision this is what they want the first impression to be. Dean Z feels it is a big deal and wants to make it a big deal...not just an e-mail. Every year, they try to time it so your tracker doesn't go to decision until after you receive the packet. But, every year people on TLS figure out the login trick and find out that way.

Edit: This is based upon past things I've heard her say when asked this. I'm not speaking for her which I want to make clear in case I need to post a statement from her again like last year...

I believe part of this also has to do with how their system is designed. It seems like every night their database is mined and actions are taken...e.g. the date updating on the status checker each day, it changing people's statuses, etc. One of these steps is allowing you to login. Considering they wouldn't get around to e-mailing or calling until roughly when you received the packet...what's the big deal?

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Curious1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:22 pm

blowhard wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
What I don't understand is why they can't just email or call to let you know you're in. No...it has to be mail first...


They send this ultra-nice packet with a handwritten note and flash-drive with a video of the school. I agree it could be helpful but they've made a decision this is what they want the first impression to be. Dean Z feels it is a big deal and wants to make it a big deal...not just an e-mail. Every year, they try to time it so your tracker doesn't go to decision until after you receive the packet. But, every year people on TLS figure out the login trick and find out that way.

Edit: This is based upon past things I've heard her say when asked this. I'm not speaking for her which I want to make clear in case I need to post a statement from her again like last year...

I believe part of this also has to do with how their system is designed. It seems like every night their database is mined and actions are taken...e.g. the date updating on the status checker each day, it changing people's statuses, etc. One of these steps is allowing you to login. Considering they wouldn't get around to e-mailing or calling until roughly when you received the packet...what's the big deal?


It's not, I just thought it was kind of snobby/old fashioned to insist on mail first--kind of like how Georgetown undergrad required a handwritten essay or Chicago undergrad had their own essays.

I can see the first impression thing, and how getting a big envelope in the mail is a really nice feeling though.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:25 pm

Curious1 wrote:
It's not, I just thought it was kind of snobby/old fashioned to insist on mail first--kind of like how Georgetown undergrad required a handwritten essay or Chicago undergrad had their own essays.

I can see the first impression thing, and how getting a big envelope in the mail is a really nice feeling though.


Don't get me wrong, I see your point. I felt the same way. At some schools that e-mail though it was so generic I felt like I was just an application. I really felt like Michigan was trying to treat me as a person they were interested in. Although I confess, I did get an e-mail from Dean Z first because it was Christmas Eve and she didn't want the status checker to change before those of us she decided on that day got the packet and us assume the worst.

Also RE the phone call, you don't want that...lol. After several of them from law review/OCI, I can tell you it's super awkward, always at a bad time, and you never have any idea what to say back.

User avatar
icedflames
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby icedflames » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:28 pm

blowhard wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
What I don't understand is why they can't just email or call to let you know you're in. No...it has to be mail first...


They send this ultra-nice packet with a handwritten note and flash-drive with a video of the school. I agree it could be helpful but they've made a decision this is what they want the first impression to be. Dean Z feels it is a big deal and wants to make it a big deal...not just an e-mail. Every year, they try to time it so your tracker doesn't go to decision until after you receive the packet. But, every year people on TLS figure out the login trick and find out that way.

Edit: This is based upon past things I've heard her say when asked this. I'm not speaking for her which I want to make clear in case I need to post a statement from her again like last year...

I believe part of this also has to do with how their system is designed. It seems like every night their database is mined and actions are taken...e.g. the date updating on the status checker each day, it changing people's statuses, etc. One of these steps is allowing you to login. Considering they wouldn't get around to e-mailing or calling until roughly when you received the packet...what's the big deal?


I want, especially since I didnt get my lanyard in my duke package.

I do like the idea of personalized mail first. Its definitely better when the note is about something specific in your application so it feels like they read your resume and personal statement and everything else you put your time into instead of looking at only your numbers

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Curious1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Although I confess, I did get an e-mail from Dean Z first because it was Christmas Eve and she didn't want the status checker to change before those of us she decided on that day got the packet and us assume the worst.


This is really cute. Wow. I really like Michigan now.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Although I confess, I did get an e-mail from Dean Z first because it was Christmas Eve and she didn't want the status checker to change before those of us she decided on that day got the packet and us assume the worst.


This is really cute. Wow. I really like Michigan now.


Just wait until you visit. I urge anyone admitted to visit even if they are strongly considering somewhere else.

I know I sound completely brain-washed here...but I'm not. It just really is a great place and Dean Z really is one of the nicest (and funniest) people I've ever met. If you aren't already, you guys should read her blog posts.

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Curious1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:43 pm

blowhard wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
Although I confess, I did get an e-mail from Dean Z first because it was Christmas Eve and she didn't want the status checker to change before those of us she decided on that day got the packet and us assume the worst.


This is really cute. Wow. I really like Michigan now.


Just wait until you visit. I urge anyone admitted to visit even if they are strongly considering somewhere else.

I know I sound completely brain-washed here...but I'm not. It just really is a great place and Dean Z really is one of the nicest (and funniest) people I've ever met. If you aren't already, you guys should read her blog posts.


I definitely will--if only for the architecture.

ADMIT ME ALREADY DAMN IT!

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:29 pm

At some point, I think I remember having read something about how we shouldn't check the ASW too often because they know when you try and fail to get in. I tried to search for it on TLS and Google but to no avail...anybody else remember reading this, or am I just paranoid?

User avatar
icedflames
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby icedflames » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:30 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:At some point, I think I remember having read something about how we shouldn't check the ASW too often because they know when you try and fail to get in. I tried to search for it on TLS and Google but to no avail...anybody else remember reading this, or am I just paranoid?


I hope this isnt true! I checked it like 10 times today.

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Haha...I'm sure it won't affect the decision on applications, but I thought they got really annoyed or something.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby chem » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:37 pm

icedflames wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:At some point, I think I remember having read something about how we shouldn't check the ASW too often because they know when you try and fail to get in. I tried to search for it on TLS and Google but to no avail...anybody else remember reading this, or am I just paranoid?


I hope this isnt true! I checked it like 10 times today.


It's true, in one of Dean Z's blogs. They also can tell how many times you check the status checker. I don't think they thought it was annoying, just humorous

AspiringAcademic
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:36 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby AspiringAcademic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:39 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Haha...I'm sure it won't affect the decision on applications, but I thought they got really annoyed or something.

I recall seeing that too, though I can't recall where. I got the impression that it is more something that they laugh about around the office than something they take into consideration.

Schola
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Schola » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:41 pm

blowhard wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
It's not, I just thought it was kind of snobby/old fashioned to insist on mail first--kind of like how Georgetown undergrad required a handwritten essay or Chicago undergrad had their own essays.

I can see the first impression thing, and how getting a big envelope in the mail is a really nice feeling though.


Don't get me wrong, I see your point. I felt the same way. At some schools that e-mail though it was so generic I felt like I was just an application. I really felt like Michigan was trying to treat me as a person they were interested in. Although I confess, I did get an e-mail from Dean Z first because it was Christmas Eve and she didn't want the status checker to change before those of us she decided on that day got the packet and us assume the worst.

Also RE the phone call, you don't want that...lol. After several of them from law review/OCI, I can tell you it's super awkward, always at a bad time, and you never have any idea what to say back.


I would agree with this. I think this is kind of a classy way to do it, and while I am already VERY interested in Michigan, I expect that the packet will do more to heighten my interest than any generic phone call about how they liked my application ever could.

ketchup
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:05 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ketchup » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:42 pm

Just got my status checker... I guess they got some of the auto-admits out of the way and can move on to the rest of us. :|

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:55 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:Haha...I'm sure it won't affect the decision on applications, but I thought they got really annoyed or something.

I recall seeing that too, though I can't recall where. I got the impression that it is more something that they laugh about around the office than something they take into consideration.


I'm pretty sure this was one of the rumors from last years application thread. Of course they have the technical ability to look up logs. Why they ever would is a wholly different question.

User avatar
erv2107
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby erv2107 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:34 pm

Got the packet and the flash drive!!!!!!

User avatar
Justdoingmybest
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Justdoingmybest » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:44 pm

ketchup wrote:Just got my status checker... I guess they got some of the auto-admits out of the way and can move on to the rest of us. :|


When did you submit your app?

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby No13baby » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:51 pm

ketchup wrote:Just got my status checker... I guess they got some of the auto-admits out of the way and can move on to the rest of us. :|

Me too, although I didn't submit until mid-October.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:13 pm

blowhard wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
Although I confess, I did get an e-mail from Dean Z first because it was Christmas Eve and she didn't want the status checker to change before those of us she decided on that day got the packet and us assume the worst.


This is really cute. Wow. I really like Michigan now.


Just wait until you visit. I urge anyone admitted to visit even if they are strongly considering somewhere else.

I know I sound completely brain-washed here...but I'm not. It just really is a great place and Dean Z really is one of the nicest (and funniest) people I've ever met. If you aren't already, you guys should read her blog posts.


I would second Blowhard on this. You've got to visit Michigan. It has a different feel from almost every other law school out there.

I say all of this having no idea who Blowhard is. But I am a 1L at Michigan. I know that there are a few of us current students around who are happy to answer questions.

gdh
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby gdh » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:23 pm

This is literally a life-changing event due to the doors that Michigan can open. I can't speak to how excited I am. I'm not bothered in the least that I found out via the steps posted on here earlier.

Can we talk about the reading room? Wow!

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:25 pm

erv2107 wrote:Got the packet and the flash drive!!!!!!


I don't think you understand how much I envy you right now.


Also, Michigan oozes class (and probably Dean Z, though I've never had any direct contact with her). I am just so impressed with them.

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:28 pm

.
Last edited by BuckinghamB on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:31 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
erv2107 wrote:Got the packet and the flash drive!!!!!!


I don't think you understand how much I envy you right now.


Also, Michigan oozes class (and probably Dean Z, though I've never had any direct contact with her). I am just so impressed with them.


She does... she's the reason I decided to apply. She's a freaking rockstar.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:37 pm

JoeMo wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
erv2107 wrote:Got the packet and the flash drive!!!!!!


I don't think you understand how much I envy you right now.


Also, Michigan oozes class (and probably Dean Z, though I've never had any direct contact with her). I am just so impressed with them.


She does... she's the reason I decided to apply. She's a freaking rockstar.


I do suggest that you create a Michigan Admitted Students c/o 2015 topic or a facebook group so that you can separate the discussion on issues important to admitted to students from the ones important to waiting applicants.

That was very useful to us last year.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dala77, Google Adsense [Bot], YasTheSpaz and 8 guests