Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby zozin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:50 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
zozin wrote:Went complete Monday, status re-updated today. Good or bad?


Lol. Can't tell if srs with so many posts. I feel like you should know the answer.

I applied on a whim without giving my app much of a chance, so I haven't followed this thread. So yea, srs. :oops:

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:53 pm

zozin wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
zozin wrote:Went complete Monday, status re-updated today. Good or bad?


Lol. Can't tell if srs with so many posts. I feel like you should know the answer.

I applied on a whim without giving my app much of a chance, so I haven't followed this thread. So yea, srs. :oops:


It updates errday in that case :)

User avatar
BarcaCrossesTheAlps
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
zozin wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
zozin wrote:Went complete Monday, status re-updated today. Good or bad?


Lol. Can't tell if srs with so many posts. I feel like you should know the answer.

I applied on a whim without giving my app much of a chance, so I haven't followed this thread. So yea, srs. :oops:


It updates errday in that case :)



Damn, my date changed today,.... Thought maybe something was actually happening.... :|

aptorres
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aptorres » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Currently deciding among Michigan, UVA, and Northwestern, but leaning slightly toward Michigan. Because I won't be able to make it to all three ASWs, I'm nervous about making a truly informed decision. I'm counting on someone from this forum to tell me why Michigan is the best choice (...versus the other two).
Last edited by aptorres on Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Liquox
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Liquox » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:22 pm

aptorres wrote:Currently deciding among Michigan, UVA, and Northwestern, but leaning slightly toward Michigan. Because I won't be able to make it to all three ASWs, I'm nervous about making truly informed decision. I'm counting on someone from this forum to tell me why Michigan is the best choice (...versus the other two).



pick the one that's best for your field.

didn't apply northwestern, but got into uva and duke. would take michigan over those two no questions asked, since i plan to study international commerce law (concentrating on asia). go research who has which program and pick the one that makes you want to forget rankings and go

aptorres
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aptorres » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Liquox wrote:
aptorres wrote:Currently deciding among Michigan, UVA, and Northwestern, but leaning slightly toward Michigan. Because I won't be able to make it to all three ASWs, I'm nervous about making truly informed decision. I'm counting on someone from this forum to tell me why Michigan is the best choice (...versus the other two).



pick the one that's best for your field.

didn't apply northwestern, but got into uva and duke. would take michigan over those two no questions asked, since i plan to study international commerce law (concentrating on asia). go research who has which program and pick the one that makes you want to forget rankings and go


Indeed. I am also interested in international law (investor-state disputes), and it seems both Michigan and Northwestern have strong intl law programs. I haven't gleaned as much from UVA on this subject, but I could be wrong.

I also could also care less about their respective ranking -- I pretty much see them as equals.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:32 pm

aptorres wrote:Currently deciding among Michigan, UVA, and Northwestern, but leaning slightly toward Michigan. Because I won't be able to make it to all three ASWs, I'm nervous about making truly informed decision. I'm counting on someone from this forum to tell me why Michigan is the best choice (...versus the other two).


The people. You get to choose who you are going to spend the next three years of your life around.

User avatar
Liquox
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Liquox » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:36 pm

aptorres wrote:
Indeed. I am also interested in international law (investor-state disputes), and it seems both Michigan and Northwestern have strong intl law programs. I haven't gleaned as much from UVA on this subject, but I could be wrong.

I also could also care less about their respective ranking -- I pretty much see them as equals.


in that case, hope to see u at michigan if i do get in. i'm still not sure how i got into uva, except that they were fast with their fee waiver and i was begging and pleading my way in at the time. (starting to think that was more out of the fear of not getting a t-14 than anything else) mich and penn are the last schools i'm waiting for.

what about you? anymore schools?

aptorres
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aptorres » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Liquox wrote:
aptorres wrote:
Indeed. I am also interested in international law (investor-state disputes), and it seems both Michigan and Northwestern have strong intl law programs. I haven't gleaned as much from UVA on this subject, but I could be wrong.

I also could also care less about their respective ranking -- I pretty much see them as equals.


in that case, hope to see u at michigan if i do get in. i'm still not sure how i got into uva, except that they were fast with their fee waiver and i was begging and pleading my way in at the time. (starting to think that was more out of the fear of not getting a t-14 than anything else) mich and penn are the last schools i'm waiting for.

what about you? anymore schools?


waiting on Penn & NYU.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Crowing » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:15 pm

.
Last edited by Crowing on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Liquox
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Liquox » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Crowing wrote:
Liquox wrote:
aptorres wrote:
Indeed. I am also interested in international law (investor-state disputes), and it seems both Michigan and Northwestern have strong intl law programs. I haven't gleaned as much from UVA on this subject, but I could be wrong.

I also could also care less about their respective ranking -- I pretty much see them as equals.


in that case, hope to see u at michigan if i do get in. i'm still not sure how i got into uva, except that they were fast with their fee waiver and i was begging and pleading my way in at the time. (starting to think that was more out of the fear of not getting a t-14 than anything else) mich and penn are the last schools i'm waiting for.

what about you? anymore schools?


Mm, we have very close numbers. I'm jelly of your t-14 security. Good luck with the rest of your cycle!


thanks! i see you got some tough schools still out there. pretty sure you'll get something t14 though

(i'll bet nyu)

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Crowing wrote:Mm, we have very close numbers. I'm jelly of your t-14 security. Good luck with the rest of your cycle!


If you don't get in to any of those schools you're waiting for you should sit out the cycle and apply earlier next year.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Just want to confirm, I am pretty sure I know the answer though. Your scholarship award offer displayed is for each of the three years correct? So I should multiply that number by 3? Just making sure.

And has anyone successfully negotiated with Michigan? I am also pretty sure they don't negotiate but I have a pretty competitive offer from NYU so I want to at least send Michigan an email. Thanks for any help.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Just want to confirm, I am pretty sure I know the answer though. Your scholarship award offer displayed is for each of the three years correct? So I should multiply that number by 3? Just making sure.

And has anyone successfully negotiated with Michigan? I am also pretty sure they don't negotiate but I have a pretty competitive offer from NYU so I want to at least send Michigan an email. Thanks for any help.


Correct... scholarship amount is for each year, but, be wary of what is listed. The official amount will be in the letter that is sent to you.

As far as negotiating, they appear to only negotiate with people who were admitted with no merit aid. If you were awarded merit aid, then it appears they will not negotiate. But, it can't hurt to ask.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:00 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Just want to confirm, I am pretty sure I know the answer though. Your scholarship award offer displayed is for each of the three years correct? So I should multiply that number by 3? Just making sure.

And has anyone successfully negotiated with Michigan? I am also pretty sure they don't negotiate but I have a pretty competitive offer from NYU so I want to at least send Michigan an email. Thanks for any help.


Correct... scholarship amount is for each year, but, be wary of what is listed. The official amount will be in the letter that is sent to you.

As far as negotiating, they appear to only negotiate with people who were admitted with no merit aid. If you were awarded merit aid, then it appears they will not negotiate. But, it can't hurt to ask.


Cool thank you.

Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Fortuitous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:21 pm

Trying to fill out need based aid paperwork and really struggling because my parents refuse to disclose their financial information. I haven't received money from them since high school but it's mandatory information on FAFSA. Any ideas on how to deal with the situation? Getting my Dad to budge unfortunately is not an option, as that method has failed for the past month.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 am

Fortuitous wrote:Trying to fill out need based aid paperwork and really struggling because my parents refuse to disclose their financial information. I haven't received money from them since high school but it's mandatory information on FAFSA. Any ideas on how to deal with the situation? Getting my Dad to budge unfortunately is not an option, as that method has failed for the past month.


I didn't have to put information into the FAFSA for my parents, but my father is the exact same way. I'm not allowed to know anything. For that reason, on the Needs Access I just did an "estimated" tax return...but lord knows it's poorly estimated.

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Geneva » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:37 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
Fortuitous wrote:Trying to fill out need based aid paperwork and really struggling because my parents refuse to disclose their financial information. I haven't received money from them since high school but it's mandatory information on FAFSA. Any ideas on how to deal with the situation? Getting my Dad to budge unfortunately is not an option, as that method has failed for the past month.


I didn't have to put information into the FAFSA for my parents, but my father is the exact same way. I'm not allowed to know anything. For that reason, on the Needs Access I just did an "estimated" tax return...but lord knows it's poorly estimated.


hm, are you over 30? maybe fortuitous/others also don't have to put in parental info? or maybe it's jsut a michigan thing. i know i need to figure out parental info for berkeley

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:39 am

Geneva wrote:
hm, are you over 30? maybe fortuitous/others also don't have to put in parental info? or maybe it's jsut a michigan thing. i know i need to figure out parental info for berkeley



Nah, not over thirty, but I've had other life experiences that make me not a dependent.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:41 am

Geneva wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:
Fortuitous wrote:Trying to fill out need based aid paperwork and really struggling because my parents refuse to disclose their financial information. I haven't received money from them since high school but it's mandatory information on FAFSA. Any ideas on how to deal with the situation? Getting my Dad to budge unfortunately is not an option, as that method has failed for the past month.


I didn't have to put information into the FAFSA for my parents, but my father is the exact same way. I'm not allowed to know anything. For that reason, on the Needs Access I just did an "estimated" tax return...but lord knows it's poorly estimated.


hm, are you over 30? maybe fortuitous/others also don't have to put in parental info? or maybe it's jsut a michigan thing. i know i need to figure out parental info for berkeley


Guesstimate. That's what I did. I couldn't figure out my parents tax returns and my parents didn't understand them either.

For UG I got "audited" though and had to mail in my parents's 1040.

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kennethellenparcell » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:18 am

Sigh. Complete forever and ever.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7174
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:56 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
Geneva wrote:
hm, are you over 30? maybe fortuitous/others also don't have to put in parental info? or maybe it's jsut a michigan thing. i know i need to figure out parental info for berkeley



Nah, not over thirty, but I've had other life experiences that make me not a dependent.


The hell? I'm 22, have always been dependent, and didn't have to fill out my parents' financial info for FAFSA.

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:30 am

UnamSanctam wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:
Geneva wrote:
hm, are you over 30? maybe fortuitous/others also don't have to put in parental info? or maybe it's jsut a michigan thing. i know i need to figure out parental info for berkeley



Nah, not over thirty, but I've had other life experiences that make me not a dependent.


The hell? I'm 22, have always been dependent, and didn't have to fill out my parents' financial info for FAFSA.


+1. Kind of confused by this...

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:30 am

You don't "have" to, but some schools require it. I didn't fill it in though because Davis just looks at needaccess for parental info.

Also: complete, thankfully.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Crowing » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:46 pm

.
Last edited by Crowing on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, curry1, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], Justtrying2help, Kaziende, laqueredup, lawnerd87, texteach, Thomas Hagan, ESQ., tinafeyclone, xnsch and 44 guests