Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
splitterstatus
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:27 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby splitterstatus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Hey congrats to everyone that got in! I found out I'm in about 2 weeks ago. Just checked the admitted students page and saw that I am set to receive a Dean's Scholarship of 18,000 dollars for 2013. I'm wondering if this means that I'm gonna get 18,000 each year of law school, or if that is the total amount of money I'll get. I feel like 18,000 total is nothing over the course of three years of law school. If it is 18,000 total, anyone think I could use Texas or Duke to leverage money, or are they not considered peer schools?

User avatar
danielhay11
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby danielhay11 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:38 pm

splitterstatus wrote:Hey congrats to everyone that got in! I found out I'm in about 2 weeks ago. Just checked the admitted students page and saw that I am set to receive a Dean's Scholarship of 18,000 dollars for 2013. I'm wondering if this means that I'm gonna get 18,000 each year of law school, or if that is the total amount of money I'll get. I feel like 18,000 total is nothing over the course of three years of law school. If it is 18,000 total, anyone think I could use Texas or Duke to leverage money, or are they not considered peer schools?


My understanding is that it is a per-year amount.

User avatar
Smumps
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Smumps » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 pm

splitterstatus wrote:Hey congrats to everyone that got in! I found out I'm in about 2 weeks ago. Just checked the admitted students page and saw that I am set to receive a Dean's Scholarship of 18,000 dollars for 2013. I'm wondering if this means that I'm gonna get 18,000 each year of law school, or if that is the total amount of money I'll get. I feel like 18,000 total is nothing over the course of three years of law school. If it is 18,000 total, anyone think I could use Texas or Duke to leverage money, or are they not considered peer schools?


1. It's 18,000/year. Congratulations.

2. My understanding is that Michigan will VERY RARELY negotiate if they have given you an offer. Only in cases where they offered you 0 will they do so.

splitterstatus
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:27 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby splitterstatus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:50 pm

^Thanks for the replies. I'm really glad to hear it's awarded every year. Still though, after calculating cost of living and out of state tuition I'd have to take a 150k loan over three years. Anyone think that's not worth it?

User avatar
Smumps
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Smumps » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:14 pm

splitterstatus wrote:^Thanks for the replies. I'm really glad to hear it's awarded every year. Still though, after calculating cost of living and out of state tuition I'd have to take a 150k loan over three years. Anyone think that's not worth it?


1. Other schools?
2. Other offers?
3. Where do you want to practice//what do you want to do?

etc...

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ahnhub » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:35 pm

splitterstatus wrote:^Thanks for the replies. I'm really glad to hear it's awarded every year. Still though, after calculating cost of living and out of state tuition I'd have to take a 150k loan over three years. Anyone think that's not worth it?


I think Michigan at sticker is worth it, and Michigan with 54K is a pretty good deal. If I didn't think these things, I would not be applying to law school at all, (even if I had the numbers to get into Harvard).

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Geneva » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:25 pm

where did u find out abt the scholarship? how do i check to see if i've been awarded one? what kind of scores does one usually need to get money from mich?

User avatar
jetissent
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jetissent » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:29 pm

Geneva wrote:where did u find out abt the scholarship? how do i check to see if i've been awarded one? what kind of scores does one usually need to get money from mich?


You can usually see your award on the accepted student's site under Mail and Money about 2 weeks after your acceptance. Based on your profile it looks like you might get about 45k. Check LSN:

http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... =3&type=jd

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Geneva » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:35 pm

jetissent wrote:
Geneva wrote:where did u find out abt the scholarship? how do i check to see if i've been awarded one? what kind of scores does one usually need to get money from mich?


You can usually see your award on the accepted student's site under Mail and Money about 2 weeks after your acceptance. Based on your profile it looks like you might get about 45k. Check LSN:

http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... =3&type=jd


thanks for the info! just wondering, how does the darrow selection process work? i assume it's largely numbers based, so i have 0 chance?

User avatar
jetissent
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jetissent » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:46 pm

I can only speak 2nd hand on that, but it looks like Darrow invites are an instance where phenomenal numbers are necessary but far from sufficient. I think invites are actually reserved for applicants with excellent numbers and softs.

American_in_China
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby American_in_China » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:04 am

Wow, just check my aid awards. I was expecting nothing.
15K a year. Looks like I know where I am going. That's equal to my offer at Vandy and a full 45 ahead of UVA.

Edit: Are we absolutely sure that the website does the yearly total, not the 3 year total?

NW Transplant
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:31 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby NW Transplant » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:03 am

American_in_China wrote:Wow, just check my aid awards. I was expecting nothing.
15K a year. Looks like I know where I am going. That's equal to my offer at Vandy and a full 45 ahead of UVA.

Edit: Are we absolutely sure that the website does the yearly total, not the 3 year total?


Absolutely 100% positive. I got a letter in the mail detailing my total award and giving the yearly breakdown. The info online corresponds to the yearly award.

BTW, Congratulations!

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Geneva » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:49 pm

NW Transplant wrote:
American_in_China wrote:Wow, just check my aid awards. I was expecting nothing.
15K a year. Looks like I know where I am going. That's equal to my offer at Vandy and a full 45 ahead of UVA.

Edit: Are we absolutely sure that the website does the yearly total, not the 3 year total?


Absolutely 100% positive. I got a letter in the mail detailing my total award and giving the yearly breakdown. The info online corresponds to the yearly award.

BTW, Congratulations!


Did your letter in the mail come with your original acceptance offer? So far, no money offer online for me. I was accepted 2/29. Wondering if an LSAT retake in June could change this?

NW Transplant
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:31 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby NW Transplant » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Geneva wrote:Did your letter in the mail come with your original acceptance offer? So far, no money offer online for me. I was accepted 2/29. Wondering if an LSAT retake in June could change this?


No, the letter with my award came about two weeks after my acceptance. I did not check online before then, however.

User avatar
captainwasabi09
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby captainwasabi09 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:41 pm

I got a Deans Scholarship of 25,000 a year. They said they won't renegotiate and I can't be considered for need-based aid.

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby luxxe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:31 pm

I got a $45k Dean's scholarship! I haven't checked since Tuesday so I'm not sure when it was posted, but I was accepted on 2/22.

Woo. Hoping more than anything that GULC will match it, though :lol:.

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Killingly » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:16 pm

luxxe wrote:I got a $45k Dean's scholarship! I haven't checked since Tuesday so I'm not sure when it was posted, but I was accepted on 2/22.

Woo. Hoping more than anything that GULC will match it, though :lol:.


Congrats! I would kill a basket of kittens for $ from Mich.

Not really, but still.

ralph_pootawn
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ralph_pootawn » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:26 pm

I am gonna try and negotiate with them when I visit for asw.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eaper » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Killingly wrote:
luxxe wrote:I got a $45k Dean's scholarship! I haven't checked since Tuesday so I'm not sure when it was posted, but I was accepted on 2/22.

Woo. Hoping more than anything that GULC will match it, though :lol:.


Congrats! I would kill a basket of kittens for $ from Mich.

Not really, but still.


I would for for acceptance :P

Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Fortuitous » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:21 pm

luxxe wrote:I got a $45k Dean's scholarship! I haven't checked since Tuesday so I'm not sure when it was posted, but I was accepted on 2/22.

Woo. Hoping more than anything that GULC will match it, though :lol:.


45k/year? congrats!

User avatar
captainwasabi09
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby captainwasabi09 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Fortuitous wrote:
luxxe wrote:I got a $45k Dean's scholarship! I haven't checked since Tuesday so I'm not sure when it was posted, but I was accepted on 2/22.

Woo. Hoping more than anything that GULC will match it, though :lol:.


45k/year? congrats!


I think it's 45k over three years, because Michigan's tuition isn't over 45k a year. Or I may be wrong because I'm thinking about in-state?!?!?!

Edit: No, nvm, I'm stupid and was thinking in-state, which is about 45000 a year

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby luxxe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:37 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:
Fortuitous wrote:
luxxe wrote:I got a $45k Dean's scholarship! I haven't checked since Tuesday so I'm not sure when it was posted, but I was accepted on 2/22.

Woo. Hoping more than anything that GULC will match it, though :lol:.


45k/year? congrats!


I think it's 45k over three years, because Michigan's tuition isn't over 45k a year. Or I may be wrong because I'm thinking about in-state?!?!?!


I got a 169, y'all. It is over 3 years. Sorry for the confusion. I would be much more excited about $45k/year & probably would have sent in my deposit by now.

YesNoMaybe
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby YesNoMaybe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:18 pm

.
Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aekea » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:26 pm

YesNoMaybe wrote:I'm going to be complete for the rest of my life. I don't even know why I bother checking. Someone remind me why we bother checking please.

We check because our neurosis dictate that we must.

User avatar
Charlindrea
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:45 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Charlindrea » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Someone mentioned in this thread that Michigan updates the status checker once a day. Anyone know when? That will save my sanity to check only once after the purported update instead of several times a day.
Last edited by Charlindrea on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, canafsa, champagnepapi, danid83, eastring, Google Adsense [Bot], hammy393, jtn123, mccracal, notausername, proteinshake, sspeckk, texteach, ThorB, tlsfan13, vho1791 and 38 guests