Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Complete.


FUUUCK.

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Geneva » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Does scholarship info come in the mailed acceptance?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Geneva wrote:Does scholarship info come in the mailed acceptance?


No, it comes later separately.

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Geneva » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Has UVA law ever been ranked higher than Mich? Just curious.

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Geneva » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:52 pm

i get the impression that mich is way more down to earth than uva. both schools are community oriented, but mich seems more REAL.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bobbyh1919 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Geneva wrote:Has UVA law ever been ranked higher than Mich? Just curious.


Yes it has. Over the years Michigan has generally edged UVA by a spot, although they're often tied and UVA jumps ahead from time to time. And to comment on your second post, I would imagine UVA students would strongly disagree while Michigan students would probably agree. Every school is going to have their share of down to earth people and gunners, as will every individual class.

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby horrorbusiness » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Geneva wrote:i get the impression that mich is way more down to earth than uva. both schools are community oriented, but mich seems more REAL.


stockholm syndrome lol :mrgreen:

hcsmith18
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hcsmith18 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Hello! I don't post often, and I don't monitor this thread so maybe there are about a thousand people just like me. But I know more information is better than less, sooo...

rejected yesterday by mail. My numbers are high. Above 3.95, above 175. I have a master's degree from an Oxbridge university. I wrote both supplemental essays. I expected an acceptance or a yield-protective sort of waitlist, but not a rejection. I really don't mind much by now (I'm in at Harvard, Columbia, NYU, &c...more importantly, I am SO OVER the application process); just found it surprising. Anyway, maybe I'm just a little cocky, but I find my rejection a bit strange and therefore thought that y'all might want to know about it! (:

Good luck, everyone still waiting!

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eaper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:33 pm

hcsmith18 wrote:Hello! I don't post often, and I don't monitor this thread so maybe there are about a thousand people just like me. But I know more information is better than less, sooo...

rejected yesterday by mail. My numbers are high. Above 3.95, above 175. I have a master's degree from an Oxbridge university. I wrote both supplemental essays. I expected an acceptance or a yield-protective sort of waitlist, but not a rejection. I really don't mind much by now (I'm in at Harvard, Columbia, NYU, &c...more importantly, I am SO OVER the application process); just found it surprising. Anyway, maybe I'm just a little cocky, but I find my rejection a bit strange and therefore thought that y'all might want to know about it! (:

Good luck, everyone still waiting!


I'm surprised that you got straight up rejected. I'm sure it was YP and I wouldn't worry about it. Anyways, good job on your cycle! Have fun with all your amazing choices=)

Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Fortuitous » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:33 pm

in! how soon after the status change do we find out about merit aid?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:45 pm

eaper wrote:
hcsmith18 wrote:Hello! I don't post often, and I don't monitor this thread so maybe there are about a thousand people just like me. But I know more information is better than less, sooo...

rejected yesterday by mail. My numbers are high. Above 3.95, above 175. I have a master's degree from an Oxbridge university. I wrote both supplemental essays. I expected an acceptance or a yield-protective sort of waitlist, but not a rejection. I really don't mind much by now (I'm in at Harvard, Columbia, NYU, &c...more importantly, I am SO OVER the application process); just found it surprising. Anyway, maybe I'm just a little cocky, but I find my rejection a bit strange and therefore thought that y'all might want to know about it! (:

Good luck, everyone still waiting!


I'm surprised that you got straight up rejected. I'm sure it was YP and I wouldn't worry about it. Anyways, good job on your cycle! Have fun with all your amazing choices=)


I think a YP would've been a waitlist as it wouldn't affect their yield if the application was subsequently withdrawn. Is it possible you made a mistake on your MIchigan app like saying how much you wanted to go to Harvard? Not saying you did it to yourself but I'm just suggesting maybe there is an explanation somewhere in your application. Or perhaps talked about doing a particular type of law that Michigan knew you'd have a better chance exploring elsewhere?

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aekea » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Fortuitous wrote:in! how soon after the status change do we find out about merit aid?


Michigan generally posts scholarship awards in the mail and money section of the Admitted Students Website around 2 weeks after your status checker switches to acceptance. For me it was closer to 3 weeks. They also send a letter with the scholarship info and I didn't get that till 4-5 weeks after I was accepted.

Fortuitous
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Fortuitous » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:47 pm

aekea wrote:
Fortuitous wrote:in! how soon after the status change do we find out about merit aid?


Michigan generally posts scholarship awards in the mail and money section of the Admitted Students Website around 2 weeks after your status checker switches to acceptance. For me it was closer to 3 weeks. They also send a letter with the scholarship info and I didn't get that till 4-5 weeks after I was accepted.


any way to find this out earlier w/o being rude? trying to swing multiple asws. also want to withdraw from schools i'm not attending asap to free up spots for other applicants...

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aekea » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Fortuitous wrote:
aekea wrote:
Fortuitous wrote:in! how soon after the status change do we find out about merit aid?


Michigan generally posts scholarship awards in the mail and money section of the Admitted Students Website around 2 weeks after your status checker switches to acceptance. For me it was closer to 3 weeks. They also send a letter with the scholarship info and I didn't get that till 4-5 weeks after I was accepted.


any way to find this out earlier w/o being rude? trying to swing multiple asws. also want to withdraw from schools i'm not attending asap to free up spots for other applicants...

Hmm, yeah not sure how you would ask that without seeming a bit presumptuous (considering you've just been accepted), but really, two weeks is not that long. I can tell you that with your numbers it is VERY likely that you will be getting $67,500 over three years. Check out LSN for people with similar numbers to you that have already been accepted. Almost all of them are reporting that figure. Obviously, my prediction is not as good as an official award from the school, but hopefully this gives you some idea of what to expect.

xjykybl
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby xjykybl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:55 pm

I have sent the application in late Jan, received the confirmation email Feb 1, and silence ever since.
They promised status checker information in 3-4 weeks, but I still haven't heard a thing from them.
Anyone in the same boat?

User avatar
vendetta73
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:33 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby vendetta73 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:45 pm

xjykybl wrote:I have sent the application in late Jan, received the confirmation email Feb 1, and silence ever since.
They promised status checker information in 3-4 weeks, but I still haven't heard a thing from them.
Anyone in the same boat?


I was in exactly that boat (confirmation email Feb 3) until 10 minutes ago, when I finally got my status checker. So don't despair!

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 2014 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Still complete today

va323
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby va323 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Fortuitous wrote:
aekea wrote:
Fortuitous wrote:in! how soon after the status change do we find out about merit aid?


Michigan generally posts scholarship awards in the mail and money section of the Admitted Students Website around 2 weeks after your status checker switches to acceptance. For me it was closer to 3 weeks. They also send a letter with the scholarship info and I didn't get that till 4-5 weeks after I was accepted.


any way to find this out earlier w/o being rude? trying to swing multiple asws. also want to withdraw from schools i'm not attending asap to free up spots for other applicants...


I emailed them 2 or 3 weeks after I was accepted, mentioning that I had some other scholarship offers and asking if I could do anything/send any additional material to help secure a scholarship. I thought that I was straight up not offered one because the ASW didn't reflect a scholarship.

Anyway, they responded saying that I was eligible for a scholarship and that I would hear shortly, and I ended up getting 45k. So i guess if you do something similar they will indicate whether they're considering you or not.

Syme
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Syme » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:02 pm

In today via status checker. Stats in profile. No "Why Mich?".

User avatar
mr_unemployed
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mr_unemployed » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:07 pm

Syme wrote:In today via status checker. Stats in profile. No "Why Mich?".


wow, rough cycle so far. :lol: congrats

User avatar
Genki
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Genki » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:50 pm

To the new Michigan admits:

I'm planning on attending the March 15-17 ASW, but by the time I tried to RSVP on the admitted students website, Michigan no longer had any housing available for those dates. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the 29-31 weekend so I'm planning on getting a hotel in Ann Arbor myself so I can still attend.

Is there anyone else out there planning to attend the 15-17 ASW that would like to split the cost of a hotel room for the 3 nights with me?
I'm male, 28 years old.
PM if you are interested.

(I posted this in the Michigan c/o 2015 thread as well, but thought I'd post this here as well since there have been some new admits that might want to attend the first ASW in a couple weeks)

xjykybl
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby xjykybl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:54 pm

vendetta73 wrote:
xjykybl wrote:I have sent the application in late Jan, received the confirmation email Feb 1, and silence ever since.
They promised status checker information in 3-4 weeks, but I still haven't heard a thing from them.
Anyone in the same boat?


I was in exactly that boat (confirmation email Feb 3) until 10 minutes ago, when I finally got my status checker. So don't despair!


Just got my status checker this morning! Good luck to you!

adc1222
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby adc1222 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:05 pm

How long did it take people to get their status checker lol

xjykybl
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby xjykybl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:15 pm

adc1222 wrote:How long did it take people to get their status checker lol

For me, it took about a month.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:03 pm

Again, forever complete...

Just do something please. I have wasted a solid hour of my life collectively by checking this damn thing.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apricots, champagnepapi, eastring, hammy393, jjcorvino, jtn123, Majestic-12 [Bot], Nickel94, notausername, Sawtooth, TakeItToTrial, texteach, ThorB, vho1791 and 29 guests