Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
curiouscat
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiouscat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Okay, someone's got to explain this to me, what's this Chick Fil A thing everyone keeps going on about?

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:39 pm

curiouscat wrote:Okay, someone's got to explain this to me, what's this Chick Fil A thing everyone keeps going on about?


Fast food Fried chicken sandwiches. They taste pretty decent.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JDizzle2015 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Okay, someone's got to explain this to me, what's this Chick Fil A thing everyone keeps going on about?


Fast food Fried chicken sandwiches. They taste pretty decent.

Yup, I agree. Some people around here swear by it but I thought it was just decent as well.

In-n-out on the other hand... I'm going to budget/plan 3 or 4 flights during 1L where I'll fly back to LAX, get in-n-out by the airport and fly back to school.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:53 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Okay, someone's got to explain this to me, what's this Chick Fil A thing everyone keeps going on about?


Fast food Fried chicken sandwiches. They taste pretty decent.

Yup, I agree. Some people around here swear by it but I thought it was just decent as well.

In-n-out on the other hand... I'm going to budget/plan 3 or 4 flights during 1L where I'll fly back to LAX, get in-n-out by the airport and fly back to school.


Totally credited. Forget the weather... the thing I miss most about CA... In-N-Out.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby justicefishy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:58 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Okay, someone's got to explain this to me, what's this Chick Fil A thing everyone keeps going on about?


Fast food Fried chicken sandwiches. They taste pretty decent.

Yup, I agree. Some people around here swear by it but I thought it was just decent as well.

In-n-out on the other hand... I'm going to budget/plan 3 or 4 flights during 1L where I'll fly back to LAX, get in-n-out by the airport and fly back to school.


Totally credited. Forget the weather... the thing I miss most about CA... In-N-Out.


You'll like Five Guys though. It's quite good!

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:11 pm

justicefishy wrote:You'll like Five Guys though. It's quite good!


OMG FIVE GUYS *explodes*

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Campagnolo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Totally credited. Forget the weather... the thing I miss most about CA... In-N-Out.


I think it's one of those things you have to be raised with, because when I go down to CA, I find In-N-Out to be just another fast food joint. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Portland food? Same for 5 Guys. I just don't get it.

Image
This image selected because it does not show the lopsided turret. There must be a function behind the design. I'll report back once I find out.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:31 pm

justicefishy wrote:You'll like Five Guys though. It's quite good!


While I do like Five Guys, it is not comparable to In-N-Out... the two places provide totally different burgers. Five Guys is heavy and greasy, In-N-Out isn't.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eaper » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:37 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Okay, someone's got to explain this to me, what's this Chick Fil A thing everyone keeps going on about?


Fast food Fried chicken sandwiches. They taste pretty decent.


This. But the guy that owns it is super southern and refuses to build one north of the Mason Dixon line.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:37 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
justicefishy wrote:You'll like Five Guys though. It's quite good!


While I do like Five Guys, it is not comparable to In-N-Out... the two places provide totally different burgers. Five Guys is heavy and greasy, In-N-Out isn't.

Five Guys is delicious, especially the fries, especially when they give you an extra scoop more than you ordered

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:38 pm

eaper wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Okay, someone's got to explain this to me, what's this Chick Fil A thing everyone keeps going on about?


Fast food Fried chicken sandwiches. They taste pretty decent.


This. But the guy that owns it is super southern and refuses to build one north of the Mason Dixon line.


Blatantly false. We have multiple in New Jersey.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:38 pm

eaper wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Okay, someone's got to explain this to me, what's this Chick Fil A thing everyone keeps going on about?


Fast food Fried chicken sandwiches. They taste pretty decent.


This. But the guy that owns it is super southern and refuses to build one north of the Mason Dixon line.

we have a ton in central-north Indiana

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby justicefishy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:39 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
justicefishy wrote:You'll like Five Guys though. It's quite good!


While I do like Five Guys, it is not comparable to In-N-Out... the two places provide totally different burgers. Five Guys is heavy and greasy, In-N-Out isn't.

Five Guys is delicious, especially the fries, especially when they give you an extra scoop more than you ordered


There's like 3 within a half mile of my office. It only ends in delicious calories some days :D

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:40 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
justicefishy wrote:You'll like Five Guys though. It's quite good!


While I do like Five Guys, it is not comparable to In-N-Out... the two places provide totally different burgers. Five Guys is heavy and greasy, In-N-Out isn't.

Five Guys is delicious, especially the fries, especially when they give you an extra scoop more than you ordered


Extra scoop? You are getting robbed. Every time I go, I feel as if they give me a large brown paper bag with a burger in the bottom and the rest filled with fries. I'm not even sure if they gave me a "fry cup" last time... I think the just filled the bag up with fries.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:42 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
justicefishy wrote:You'll like Five Guys though. It's quite good!


While I do like Five Guys, it is not comparable to In-N-Out... the two places provide totally different burgers. Five Guys is heavy and greasy, In-N-Out isn't.

Five Guys is delicious, especially the fries, especially when they give you an extra scoop more than you ordered


Extra scoop? You are getting robbed. Every time I go, I feel as if they give me a large brown paper bag with a burger in the bottom and the rest filled with fries. I'm not even sure if they gave me a "fry cup" last time... I think the just filled the bag up with fries.

yeah, we used to get about 4 cups worth in a Regular, but they seem to have trimmed it to 2.5-3. I haz a sad

charliep
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby charliep » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:48 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
eaper wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Okay, someone's got to explain this to me, what's this Chick Fil A thing everyone keeps going on about?


Fast food Fried chicken sandwiches. They taste pretty decent.


This. But the guy that owns it is super southern and refuses to build one north of the Mason Dixon line.

we have a ton in central-north Indiana


a few in cleveland

Kurst
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Kurst » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Maybe I'm just spoiled by Portland food

Image

You are.

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Campagnolo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Kurst wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:Maybe I'm just spoiled by Portland food

Image

You are.


I love the Brunch Box! I'm headed there today for a black and blue burger (or maybe a thai pineapple burger) as a matter of fact!

Mmmm, boy!

Image
It's got it's arms wide open for you.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eaper » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:59 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
eaper wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:
curiouscat wrote:Okay, someone's got to explain this to me, what's this Chick Fil A thing everyone keeps going on about?


Fast food Fried chicken sandwiches. They taste pretty decent.


This. But the guy that owns it is super southern and refuses to build one north of the Mason Dixon line.

we have a ton in central-north Indiana


Ooops. Maybe my info is a little old. Or it was wrong. Or I remembered it incorrectly. I heard that (I think) like 5-6 years ago, so that's why. I thought they wanted to stay "Southern." But that is apparently not the case. Oh well.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby T00L » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Campagnolo wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Totally credited. Forget the weather... the thing I miss most about CA... In-N-Out.


I think it's one of those things you have to be raised with, because when I go down to CA, I find In-N-Out to be just another fast food joint. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Portland food? Same for 5 Guys. I just don't get it.

Image
This image selected because it does not show the lopsided turret. There must be a function behind the design. I'll report back once I find out.


thank you! I have no idea why that bothers me so much... I've even google'd it and i cant find any reason behind it.

Lopsided turrets drive me crazy!

Nobody
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:05 pm

Campagnolo wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Totally credited. Forget the weather... the thing I miss most about CA... In-N-Out.


I think it's one of those things you have to be raised with, because when I go down to CA, I find In-N-Out to be just another fast food joint. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Portland food? Same for 5 Guys. I just don't get it.

Image
This image selected because it does not show the lopsided turret. There must be a function behind the design. I'll report back once I find out.


I think the story behind the lopsided turret is that a lot of original gothic buildings have lopsided elements, since they were built over centuries with lots of disruptions, so you'll see a lot of churches with mismatched spires, etc. During the gothic revival, architects tried to make their buildings more authentic by matching these imperfections. At Yale, for example, they poured acid on the walls so the stone never looked too new, and carved niches without putting statues in them since most of those old gothic buildings lost statues over the ages. I don't have any proof that this was the reason for Cornell's turret, but it would be my best guess.

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Campagnolo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 pm

eaper wrote:
Ooops. Maybe my info is a little old. Or it was wrong. Or I remembered it incorrectly. I heard that (I think) like 5-6 years ago, so that's why. I thought they wanted to stay "Southern." But that is apparently not the case. Oh well.


Turns out business owners want to make money! Haha!

Image
You know you want it.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JDizzle2015 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Nobody wrote:I think the story behind the lopsided turret is that a lot of original gothic buildings have lopsided elements, since they were built over centuries with lots of disruptions, so you'll see a lot of churches with mismatched spires, etc. During the gothic revival, architects tried to make their buildings more authentic by matching these imperfections. At Yale, for example, they poured acid on the walls so the stone never looked too new, and carved niches without putting statues in them since most of those old gothic buildings lost statues over the ages. I don't have any proof that this was the reason for Cornell's turret, but it would be my best guess.

Interesting! Thanks for this.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby T00L » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:37 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Nobody wrote:I think the story behind the lopsided turret is that a lot of original gothic buildings have lopsided elements, since they were built over centuries with lots of disruptions, so you'll see a lot of churches with mismatched spires, etc. During the gothic revival, architects tried to make their buildings more authentic by matching these imperfections. At Yale, for example, they poured acid on the walls so the stone never looked too new, and carved niches without putting statues in them since most of those old gothic buildings lost statues over the ages. I don't have any proof that this was the reason for Cornell's turret, but it would be my best guess.

Interesting! Thanks for this.


+1

User avatar
aekea
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby aekea » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Nobody wrote:
I think the story behind the lopsided turret is that a lot of original gothic buildings have lopsided elements, since they were built over centuries with lots of disruptions, so you'll see a lot of churches with mismatched spires, etc. During the gothic revival, architects tried to make their buildings more authentic by matching these imperfections. At Yale, for example, they poured acid on the walls so the stone never looked too new, and carved niches without putting statues in them since most of those old gothic buildings lost statues over the ages. I don't have any proof that this was the reason for Cornell's turret, but it would be my best guess.


I've always heard that gothic buildings incorporate asymmetrical elements on purpose as a sort of deference to God because trying to make them too perfect would be arrogant or presumptuous.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Christinabruin, JazzyMac, l3g@l33s3, Majestic-12 [Bot], potatocowpower, Rich Uncle Skeleton, Snowjon and 12 guests