Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby freestallion » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:04 pm

soj wrote:I think Essay Seven is the typical DS prompt.


Thanks! That's what I was thinking...

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Anyone heard anything on the fee waiver front or tried to solicit one directly?

Also, do we need to write an optional essay to get in? If so, is a 1 paragraph "Why Michigan" statement enough?

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby freestallion » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:08 pm

MumofCad wrote:Anyone heard anything on the fee waiver front or tried to solicit one directly?

Also, do we need to write an optional essay to get in? If so, is a 1 paragraph "Why Michigan" statement enough?


It sounds like a Why Michigan is essentially required to avoid YP. I don't know if 1 paragraph would be enough - mine is 1 page (double spaced) and it seems the more detailed you can be, the better!

Have not heard anything about fee waivers, though I am hoping they send them out...

EDIT: See this thread for last year's fee waivers
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122246
Looks like Michigan had a hidden one. Not sure if it will be the same this year.

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Michigan mailed fee waivers signed by Dean Z with a personal note for most.

MumofCad
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby MumofCad » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:17 pm

So do we think soliciting would be fruitless? Maybe I'll give it a go on Monday.

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:18 pm

MumofCad wrote:So do we think soliciting would be fruitless? Maybe I'll give it a go on Monday.


Let us know how it turns out.

Think it's better to write a second essay that really doesn't help distinguish myself, or just give the adcomms less to read?

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby sanetruth » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 am

Joining this group.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby freestallion » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:29 am

PSUdevon wrote:
MumofCad wrote:So do we think soliciting would be fruitless? Maybe I'll give it a go on Monday.


Let us know how it turns out.

Think it's better to write a second essay that really doesn't help distinguish myself, or just give the adcomms less to read?


Give the adcomms less to read. If it's not going to be a strong essay, I vote don't write it. Although it seems almost mandatory to write "Why Mich" other essays may not be necessary.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tmon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:22 am

Haven't really started my Why X essays yet, but this is one that I'm both really excited to write and kind of nervous for because I have a lot of experience with M. Are there Why X? examples anywhere, particularly ones written by former students who have strong ties to the University? I feel like I have so much I could include that the prospect of writing is mildly overwhelming at the moment.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:36 am

tmon wrote:Haven't really started my Why X essays yet, but this is one that I'm both really excited to write and kind of nervous for because I have a lot of experience with M. Are there Why X? examples anywhere, particularly ones written by former students who have strong ties to the University? I feel like I have so much I could include that the prospect of writing is mildly overwhelming at the moment.


My Why Mich will consist of "I was raised a Wolverine fan. I hate Michigan State. I have shrines of Bo and Lloyd in my closet, and I have a voodoo doll of Rich Rod. Admit me."

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:55 am

UnamSanctam wrote:
tmon wrote:Haven't really started my Why X essays yet, but this is one that I'm both really excited to write and kind of nervous for because I have a lot of experience with M. Are there Why X? examples anywhere, particularly ones written by former students who have strong ties to the University? I feel like I have so much I could include that the prospect of writing is mildly overwhelming at the moment.


My Why Mich will consist of "I was raised a Wolverine fan. I hate Michigan State. I have shrines of Bo and Lloyd in my closet, and I have a voodoo doll of Rich Rod. Admit me."

We will be good friends

User avatar
Perdevise
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Perdevise » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:30 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
tmon wrote:Haven't really started my Why X essays yet, but this is one that I'm both really excited to write and kind of nervous for because I have a lot of experience with M. Are there Why X? examples anywhere, particularly ones written by former students who have strong ties to the University? I feel like I have so much I could include that the prospect of writing is mildly overwhelming at the moment.


My Why Mich will consist of "I was raised a Wolverine fan. I hate Michigan State. I have shrines of Bo and Lloyd in my closet, and I have a voodoo doll of Rich Rod. Admit me."

We will be good friends


LOL. I went to a state school in Ohio that was not THE Ohio State University. There is a bit of resentment. Dear Michigan, the enemy of my enemy is my friend...

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:44 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
tmon wrote:Haven't really started my Why X essays yet, but this is one that I'm both really excited to write and kind of nervous for because I have a lot of experience with M. Are there Why X? examples anywhere, particularly ones written by former students who have strong ties to the University? I feel like I have so much I could include that the prospect of writing is mildly overwhelming at the moment.


My Why Mich will consist of "I was raised a Wolverine fan. I hate Michigan State. I have shrines of Bo and Lloyd in my closet, and I have a voodoo doll of Rich Rod. Admit me."


H8 U.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tmon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Perdevise wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
tmon wrote:Haven't really started my Why X essays yet, but this is one that I'm both really excited to write and kind of nervous for because I have a lot of experience with M. Are there Why X? examples anywhere, particularly ones written by former students who have strong ties to the University? I feel like I have so much I could include that the prospect of writing is mildly overwhelming at the moment.


My Why Mich will consist of "I was raised a Wolverine fan. I hate Michigan State. I have shrines of Bo and Lloyd in my closet, and I have a voodoo doll of Rich Rod. Admit me."

We will be good friends


LOL. I went to a state school in Ohio that was not THE Ohio State University. There is a bit of resentment. Dear Michigan, the enemy of my enemy is my friend...

Just paste in this picture after that quote to your Why Mich and you'll be fine
Image

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:14 pm

J- <3333
Perdevise- <3
Devon- </3
Tmon- <33

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:17 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:J- <3333
Perdevise- <3
Devon- </3
Tmon- <33

Image

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:20 pm

tmon wrote:Just paste in this picture after that quote to your Why Mich and you'll be fine
Image


Hahaha I lol'd XD

As a Buckeye fan (gasp!) I managed to write a good Why Mich and loved my visit, in case there are any of you out there whose families are freaking out (like mine did) that I would apply/consider going there.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Xifeng wrote:
tmon wrote:Just paste in this picture after that quote to your Why Mich and you'll be fine
Image


Hahaha I lol'd XD

As a Buckeye fan (gasp!) I managed to write a good Why Mich and loved my visit, in case there are any of you out there whose families are freaking out (like mine did) that I would apply/consider going there.

I don't have the heart to tell my grandpa. He just had a minor strokelike experience

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 pm

I don't understand why people like college football :?

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:I don't understand why people like college football :?


You don't like college football or Tarantino. You're super duper not my friend anymore.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:I don't understand why people like college football :?


I don't want to end our blossoming friendship, but I'll do it if I must.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:30 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:I don't understand why people like college football :?


I don't want to end our blossoming friendship, but I'll do it if I must.


lol, NFL trumps amateur mistake-ridden college football any day.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:30 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:I don't understand why people like college football :?


I don't want to end our blossoming friendship, but I'll do it if I must.


For srs, HP. For srs. And considering US and I might attack each other irl, it's significant we agree.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby tmon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:32 pm

PSUdevon wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:J- <3333
Perdevise- <3
Devon- </3
Tmon- <33

Image

Image
:)

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Xifeng wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:I don't understand why people like college football :?


I don't want to end our blossoming friendship, but I'll do it if I must.


For srs, HP. For srs. And considering US and I might attack each other irl, it's significant we agree.


Wait, we hate each other? Why?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Christinabruin, JazzyMac, lillawyer2, ProductofUnreality, Rich Uncle Skeleton and 10 guests