Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Parmenides
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Parmenides » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Yeah, I didn't send a Why Michigan essay because I wasn't really set on Michigan until after I applied (and I thought 3.94/172 paired with what seems to be a pretty solid application should carry me). I probably should have, but I wasn't really sure what reasons I could give that would make for a well composed, sincere sounding essay.
Oh well, maybe Michigan knows something I don't about my prospects at HYS...

User avatar
DonnaDraper
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:30 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DonnaDraper » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:52 pm

It seems the moral of the story is to just suck it up and write the supplementary essays. With numbers in Michigan's range, I feel like extra essays would get one from reject to WL (this is me speculating). Condolences to the rejected :-(

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Sorry for all the dings guy =(.

Is there a In at Michigan thread? Can't find it...

thestillpoint
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thestillpoint » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Sorry for all the dings guy =(.

Is there a In at Michigan thread? Can't find it...


+1, I've also been wondering/looking for this thread.

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:04 pm

thestillpoint wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Sorry for all the dings guy =(.

Is there a In at Michigan thread? Can't find it...


+1, I've also been wondering/looking for this thread.


What a time to ask, guys...


Image

I'm getting so fast with imgur.

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:05 pm

^ I know. It was a dick move, sorry =(.

User avatar
Moriarty
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Moriarty » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm sorry to all that heard bad news today; I hope that things turn out for the best for all of you, though! I'd like to think that rejections mean that there are better things in store.

<--- Forever Optimistic

(I still don't even have a status checker, so I can't even rightly panic with those still hanging on...that is NOT a complaint, though.)

Also keep the images coming, Campagnolo. :D

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby justicefishy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:14 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:It seems the moral of the story is to just suck it up and write the supplementary essays. With numbers in Michigan's range, I feel like extra essays would get one from reject to WL (this is me speculating). Condolences to the rejected :-(


I'm hoping that's true. I'm up to 2 essays for Michigan and if I get WL'd, I'll write a few more. I really want to get in.

User avatar
itsmelissaaa
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby itsmelissaaa » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Dinged this morning as well. First rejection of the cycle.

User avatar
RopeisaJoke
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby RopeisaJoke » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:22 pm

Did the people who got dinged today get the seemingly meaningless 'hold' email a few week ago?

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:40 pm

RopeisaJoke wrote:Did the people who got dinged today get the seemingly meaningless 'hold' email a few week ago?


I am interested in this.

User avatar
itsmelissaaa
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby itsmelissaaa » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:41 pm

No, I never received an email.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Lol guys we're way past the point where the e-mail matters.... never got the e-mail and I still don't have a decision.

User avatar
citygirl000
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby citygirl000 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:42 pm

thestillpoint wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Sorry for all the dings guy =(.

Is there a In at Michigan thread? Can't find it...


+1, I've also been wondering/looking for this thread.



Do you mean this? viewtopic.php?f=32&t=166294&start=550

User avatar
ScoutFinch
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:34 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScoutFinch » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:58 pm

No hold email for me. For the record, I wrote two of the supplemental essays, including Why Michigan.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:15 pm

citygirl000 wrote:
thestillpoint wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Sorry for all the dings guy =(.

Is there a In at Michigan thread? Can't find it...


+1, I've also been wondering/looking for this thread.



Do you mean this? http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=550


Nah, that's for people who are set on going to Michigan. WhiteGuy is referring to threads in this subforum for people that have been admitted but are not set on attending (e.g. In at Harvard, In at Chicago, etc.). The idea is that once people start getting dinged/WL'd, there's a difference in behavior between those people and the admitted, who have no stress. The rift can translate into fights, and this is avoided by creating an "In at..." thread. I actually don't like the practice since it clogs up this subforum, but I'm also admitted, so I'm admittedly (...) biased.

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Dr. Filth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:30 pm

It would be beyond silly for dings/WL to get upset at admits. It's pretty simple to just not post when you're pissed off.

I was a ding today with no email, but I got my status checker around the time of the email. So I don't think I would have gotten an email even if they <3'd me.

User avatar
moneybagsphd
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby moneybagsphd » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Glad I checked my status before reading about the bloodbath. Still complete.

User avatar
captainwasabi09
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby captainwasabi09 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Campagnuolo, you can't faze me! I go here for undergrad! I see the beauty that is Michigan Law School every day!

User avatar
PopTorts13
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby PopTorts13 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:33 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:Campagnuolo, you can't faze me! I go here for undergrad! I see the beauty that is Michigan Law School every day!


This is a BIG TEN commonality. The vast majority of our campuses are significantly more beautiful than others. Graduated from Indiana University- Bloomington for my undergraduate degree and then went down to Florida State University in Tallahassee. For any one that has ever been to IU, you know how ridiculously beautiful it is as well. Mid-West=Beautiful

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:38 pm

captainwasabi09 wrote:Campagnuolo, you can't faze me! I go here for undergrad! I see the beauty that is Michigan Law School every day!


I've never been. I did just schedule a trip to go from Duke to Cornell (stopping at GULC on the way). I'd like to have a reason to come visit Michigan, too, but they seem intent on waiting until after spent a grand I don't have to visit other schools I'm not as interested in, pick one out, put down a deposit, and rent an apartment before making a decision on my file.

In the mean time, I post.

Image

Post your own! Take a few snaps we haven't seen before. Otherwise, I'll just have to keep doing what I'm doing. Until I get in or dinged. Which could be awhile.

I actually wrote a draft Why Mich about the architecture of the quad from a phenomenological perspective. It was totally classy, obviously, but I didn't have the guts to send it in. PM if you want to read this gem. The trouble with the architecture in America is that it's all fake, and can therefore point only to what we lack.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:15 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Nah, that's for people who are set on going to Michigan. WhiteGuy is referring to threads in this subforum for people that have been admitted but are not set on attending (e.g. In at Harvard, In at Chicago, etc.). The idea is that once people start getting dinged/WL'd, there's a difference in behavior between those people and the admitted, who have no stress. The rift can translate into fights, and this is avoided by creating an "In at..." thread. I actually don't like the practice since it clogs up this subforum, but I'm also admitted, so I'm admittedly (...) biased.

It's also because the "In at ____" threads tend to devolve into "Should I go to ____?" and "how much money would it take to make this worth it" discussions, both of which are understandably annoying to people just waiting to see if they'll get into the school.

In Michigan related news, I'm still complete. I suppose they'll get around to sending the WLs soon?

User avatar
luxxe
Posts: 830
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby luxxe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Nelson wrote:In Michigan related news, I'm still complete. I suppose they'll get around to sending the WLs soon?

Looking at LSN, a lot of people who submitted before December last year got WL'd in late February, around the 25/26.

DNW to wait that long to get waitlisted :|

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:17 pm

Nelson wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Nah, that's for people who are set on going to Michigan. WhiteGuy is referring to threads in this subforum for people that have been admitted but are not set on attending (e.g. In at Harvard, In at Chicago, etc.). The idea is that once people start getting dinged/WL'd, there's a difference in behavior between those people and the admitted, who have no stress. The rift can translate into fights, and this is avoided by creating an "In at..." thread. I actually don't like the practice since it clogs up this subforum, but I'm also admitted, so I'm admittedly (...) biased.

It's also because the "In at ____" threads tend to devolve into "Should I go to ____?" and "how much money would it take to make this worth it" discussions, both of which are understandably annoying to people just waiting to see if they'll get into the school.


You would know better than I would. I was literally taking a shot in the dark and presenting it as fact.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:22 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Nelson wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Nah, that's for people who are set on going to Michigan. WhiteGuy is referring to threads in this subforum for people that have been admitted but are not set on attending (e.g. In at Harvard, In at Chicago, etc.). The idea is that once people start getting dinged/WL'd, there's a difference in behavior between those people and the admitted, who have no stress. The rift can translate into fights, and this is avoided by creating an "In at..." thread. I actually don't like the practice since it clogs up this subforum, but I'm also admitted, so I'm admittedly (...) biased.

It's also because the "In at ____" threads tend to devolve into "Should I go to ____?" and "how much money would it take to make this worth it" discussions, both of which are understandably annoying to people just waiting to see if they'll get into the school.


You would know better than I would. I was literally taking a shot in the dark and presenting it as fact.

Yeah, I wasn't disputing what you said. There's no doubt that it would clog up the forum if every school had 5+ threads a la Harvard.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, Christinabruin, longsh0305 and 11 guests