Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dakure

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby dakure » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Why don't we just accept that it happened and learn not to be stupid about what we post? I couldn't care less about the ethical nature of Dean Z's actions. She made a move and we can sit here whining about whether what she said was fair or unfair, or we can realize that she's the one making the calls here and she's going to act the way she acts. With that in mind, don't do something to piss her off and stop pretending like this is your personal, private, twitter feed.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:15 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Shall we all just drop it at this point? It has been resolved.

Person A said something they probably shouldn't have, Person B told Person C, and Person C reached out to Person A to go over the issue.

That's basically what happened. If you take issue with how Person A, B, or C acted, get over it. The world is still round and spinning, and life goes on.

What we should take from this: Don't take anything for granted... wait until you have a paper copy you can hold in your hands before assuming anything (why this has to be said, I don't know, but it seems as if it does need to be said). Also, don't post anything you don't want tracked back to you (why this has to be said, I don't know, but it seems as if it does need to be said).

Moving on... have any WL been reported, yet? A good friend of mine was rolled over from ED and hasn't heard anything since finding out he was rolled over.

Um, the earth doesn't spin. The heavens above us do. Obviously. Wait, what?

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:16 pm

outsidethescope wrote:Image

Changing the subject now. Let's discuss whether or not the architect designed this room to match the Enchanted ceiling at Hogwarts.

I mean, you can see the stars all of the time.

Interesting thought. I'm thinking yes, for sure. Although, I'm always gonna be looking for Harry Potter parallels no matter where I go, so my judgment is a bit clouded.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Samara wrote:Obviously, TLS is not anonymous. But there is a certain level of semi-anonymity and actions that degrade that semi-anonymity publicly should be discouraged. Which is why we are generally against outing.

I'm done debating this. My point is that TLS is not semi-anonymous. Your posts are tied to a name that is easily tied to you. Treat it like it's your first/last name attached.

Nikrall

Postby Nikrall » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:17 pm

blowhard wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
Nikrall wrote:Yes. People here should be able to post pretty much whatever they like without consequences. Maybe not something that shows a gross lack of judgment, but posting that Michigan changed his award because of a change in his GPA doesn't show a gross lack of judgment. And note that username then went on to defend Michigan and offer explanations for their conduct although, if it were true, it would have been ridiculous. You people are 0L's. And even once y'all are lawyers, you can say pretty much whatever you want on anonymous message-boards.

They're not anonymous, that's why there's an "anonymous" button in the employment forum. So your posts can ACTUALLY be anonymous

This. Posting under a pseudonym is not anonymity.

Publius might disagree.

gatorapplicant

Postby gatorapplicant » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:
paul34 wrote:Right - any guesses on when WL start rolling out in large numbers? I wonder if that's why I am complete, day after day. :| (I did receive the e-mail).

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I suppose I could just go check LSN...

Edit: the first huge batch of waitlists looks like it came out on 2/25.

Does it seem like this is the fate of applicants who received the email and have not yet been admitted?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Nikrall wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
Nikrall wrote:Yes. People here should be able to post pretty much whatever they like without consequences. Maybe not something that shows a gross lack of judgment, but posting that Michigan changed his award because of a change in his GPA doesn't show a gross lack of judgment. And note that username then went on to defend Michigan and offer explanations for their conduct although, if it were true, it would have been ridiculous. You people are 0L's. And even once y'all are lawyers, you can say pretty much whatever you want on anonymous message-boards.

They're not anonymous, that's why there's an "anonymous" button in the employment forum. So your posts can ACTUALLY be anonymous

This. Posting under a pseudonym is not anonymity.

Publius might disagree.

How so?

crabcakes

Postby crabcakes » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 pm

ok, that's enough everyone. let's get back to people asking why the status checker updates everyday.

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Green Glass Windows wrote:Interesting thought. I'm thinking yes, for sure. Although, I'm always gonna be looking for Harry Potter parallels no matter where I go, so my judgment is a bit clouded.

--ImageRemoved--

I mean, they have a quidditch team.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:20 pm

outsidethescope wrote:
Green Glass Windows wrote:Interesting thought. I'm thinking yes, for sure. Although, I'm always gonna be looking for Harry Potter parallels no matter where I go, so my judgment is a bit clouded.

--ImageRemoved--

Those people look much more normal than I pictured when I hear about the team.

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:20 pm

outsidethescope wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

I've been dedicated to the idea that the American equivalent to Hogwarts didn't start until post grad ever since my owl didn't come when I was 11, so this actually makes a lot of sense.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:21 pm

blowhard wrote:
Samara wrote:
blowhard wrote:No one said username was being malicious. But even mistaken facts affect a school's reputation and should be corrected. I don't agree with posting it on her blog...I would have handled it differently. But, a similar circumstance last year resulted in a mini-riot after someone claimed the admissions office was rude to them on the phone. This then crossed to other sites, resulted in applicants calling the school, etc. These things need to be corrected.

I have no problem with addressing a false claim. But it should have been handled with a little more discretion, IMO. She can address the situation by talking about their policy without discussing the specific case.

She didn't post the name or on any details. What part of her response do you take issue with? How would you link what she said to a fellow classmate?

Call me crazy, but I think a dean shouldn't post details about a person's application on a public blog, especially when, by their own admission, it's possible to link that person's pseudonym to their real identity. And I especially don't think a dean should use language in reference to a particular person that could be perceived as a vague threat ("We think we have identified the person who has posted his financial aid woes on TLS, and I’ll be giving him a call.").

Moriarty

Postby Moriarty » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:22 pm

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Also: Judge me now, for I will be gunning for Slytherin.

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Moriarty wrote:

No, definitely not a bad thing! I was just thinking that in regards to judging that picture, if you were trying to select me for a jury on the subject you might want to cut me due to bias. Also, I'm good with any house that isn't Hufflepuff. :oops:

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:24 pm

blowhard wrote:

The real question we need to be asking you is where we can buy tickets to the games, and how we'll get sorted.

Though I think that anyone who is still digging for a fight about the last few pages has already sorted themselves into Slytherin.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:26 pm

outsidethescope wrote:Image

Changing the subject now. Let's discuss whether or not the architect designed this room to match the Enchanted ceiling at Hogwarts.

I mean, you can see the stars all of the time.

LOL... I never thought about the ability to see the stars all the time. Nice call. I can't wait to visit... I watched the video for the opening of that cafe... looked so awesome.

Moriarty

Postby Moriarty » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Moriarty wrote:

No, definitely not a bad thing! I was just thinking that in regards to judging that picture, if you were trying to select me for a jury on the subject you might want to cut me due to bias. Also, I'm good with any house that isn't Hufflepuff. :oops:

Oh, don't take me seriously! Haha, I was just teasing. :lol:

I feel like Cooley is the Hufflepuff of lawl schools, so you've no worries.

Nikrall

Postby Nikrall » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Publius was the pen name of a group of individuals that was pseudonymous, but clearly anonymous.

By the way back when I cared about such things I was positive to never include any identifying information. Its not that hard to be anonymous and yes you are actually, legitimately anonymous if you are careful. Hell I'm not even careful anymore and I doubt you could find identifying information on here.
Last edited by Nikrall on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T00L

Postby T00L » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:27 pm

if this discussion is kept up for three more pages, then we can finally overtake the Northwestern thread!!!!

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Moriarty wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

I hope that was intentional. Also, the most serious mistake you can make is taking me seriously. :lol: So what does that make us? Gryffindors? Ravenclaws?

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Dear Michigan-

I love you. Please love me back!

emkay

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Moriarty wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

Am I the only one who likes that Hufflepuff gives everyone an equal chance to be awesome? I mean, without Hufflepuff, a lot of really talented wizards would have never learned anything. It's like the anti-discrimination house!

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Nikrall wrote:Publius was the pen name of a group of individuals that was pseudonymous, but clearly anonymous.

By the way back when I cared about such things I was positive to never include any identifying information. Its not that hard to be anonymous and yes you are actually, legitimately anonymous if you are careful. Hell I'm not even careful anymore and I doubt you could find identifying information on here.

I got that, but we know who they were now. Hence my point.

Moriarty

Postby Moriarty » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:31 pm

outsidethescope wrote:
blowhard wrote:

The real question we need to be asking you is where we can buy tickets to the games, and how we'll get sorted.

Though I think that anyone who is still digging for a fight about the last few pages has already sorted themselves into Slytherin.

NO, THAT WILL PRECLUDE MY ATTEMPTS TO REDEEM THE NAME OF SLYTHERIN...!

T00L

Postby T00L » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Moriarty wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA -

"The Peoples College of Hufflepuff"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”