Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ColtsFan88
Posts: 1432
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ColtsFan88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Nobody wrote:I'm 3.3 174. I kind of can't process this; I was so ready to pay sticker for t14 and hoping for something like MAYBE a few thousand at Cornell. This is the first time in this whole process that I've really been like, floored by good news.


Daaaaaamn. You give me hope. Congrats!

User avatar
Boston_NYG2245
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Question, do they send any mail for scholarships?

Nobody
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nobody » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:29 pm

My ASW says the letter got sent today.

User avatar
Boston_NYG2245
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Nobody wrote:My ASW says the letter got sent today.


Cool, I got a scholly today as well and was wondering if there'd be a hard copy

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
JoeMo wrote:I hope you guys calling admissions and e-mailing them with things like "I didn't get the e-mail, everyone that did not get the e-mail has heard one way or another" realize that making these phone calls sets you apart and not in a good way.

You have to understand that admissions departments are ridiculously busy right now and you're calling/emailing them to justify your TLS insanity.

Think about it, people not on TLS are not calling because if they didn't get the e-mail they don't even know such an email existed. If they did, they don't know about all the conspiracy theories. Just hold tight and wait for an answer and take out your frustration on TLS but don't call the admissions offices. That's my $.02


How does it set you apart? I don't plan on giving them my name. They made a blog post saying we would hear within a week, its perfectly justifiable to follow up and find out what's going on.


I assumed if you were calling you'd have enough balls to tell them your name. Otherwise, you're just an annoying anonymous caller trying to get information. Either way, that type of behavior isn't justified. You should be waiting for your acceptance, if you get admitted you'll hear about it, if you get dinged you'll hear about it. In the meantime, vent on TLS all you want.

User avatar
bigtexmex
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bigtexmex » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Got a fee waiver from Michigan today, and just said what the hell. Why not?

3.6/165/URM

We'll see what happens. I did one of the optional essays just in case.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Taken down
Last edited by Mr. Somebody on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:I actually did call earlier and got through to an admissions official who was super helpful about explaining what's going on. Thanks for the advice, but I think you're in the wrong thread pal.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=166294


Yes, their staff is very helpful this has been stated many times before. It still doesn't take away from the douche factor of calling about what getting or not getting an e-mail means. If I were on an adcom I'd be worried about the type of neurotic person that has to call about shit like that and how well they'd be able to handle the long wait for grades. And just because they're nice to you on the phone it does not mean they're not internally rolling their eyes.

As for me being in the wrong thread, I'll be here until the end of the cycle, so get used to it buddy. I'll be especially happy when you get dinged.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:35 pm

Well that wasn't a very nice thing to say, JoeMo...

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby soj » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:36 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:I actually did call earlier and got through to an admissions official who was super helpful about explaining what's going on. Thanks for the advice, but I think you're in the wrong thread pal.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=166294


Yes, their staff is very helpful this has been stated many times before. It still doesn't take away from the douche factor of calling about what getting or not getting an e-mail means. If I were on an adcom I'd be worried about the type of neurotic person that has to call about shit like that and how well they'd be able to handle the long wait for grades. And just because they're nice to you on the phone it does not mean they're not internally rolling their eyes.

As for me being in the wrong thread, I'll be here until the end of the cycle, so get used to it buddy. I'll be especially happy when you get dinged.

Jeez, let it go.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Taken down
Last edited by Mr. Somebody on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:43 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:Well that wasn't a very nice thing to say, JoeMo...


I know, I was joking. All I was trying to say was that people shouldn't be calling the admissions office to find out what getting the e-mail or not getting it meant.

It was a bad joke.

User avatar
Moriarty
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Moriarty » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:44 pm

bigtexmex wrote:Got a fee waiver from Michigan today, and just said what the hell. Why not?

3.6/165/URM

We'll see what happens. I did one of the optional essays just in case.


Good luck! Fee waivers are how I got sucked into the T14 in general.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:44 pm

JoeMo wrote:As for me being in the wrong thread, I'll be here until the end of the cycle, so get used to it buddy. I'll be especially happy when you get dinged.


This is not the Michigan spirit. If you think you're going to come here and act like that...think again. Peer pressure and being ostracized is a bitch. Also, now may be a good time to start thinking about the fact that the legal world is very small and anything you say or do will follow you from now until forever.

Edit: Including bad jokes that seem like cover-ups for being a momentary asshole.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote: redacted.


Well, all of that makes a lot of sense. I thought you were just calling panicking which isn't good for anyone.

Good luck now that you have it all sorted out.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:46 pm

blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:As for me being in the wrong thread, I'll be here until the end of the cycle, so get used to it buddy. I'll be especially happy when you get dinged.


This is not the Michigan spirit. If you think you're going to come here and act like that...think again. Peer pressure and being ostracized is a bitch. Also, now may be a good time to start thinking about the fact that the legal world is very small and anything you say or do will follow you from now until forever.

Edit: Including bad jokes that seem like cover-ups for being a momentary asshole.


No, seeing someone get dinged would never give me joy. I really was just joking in very poor taste. But we can let it go.

User avatar
TrojanHopeful
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby TrojanHopeful » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:59 pm

:roll: awkward silence ensues...

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eaper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:03 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote::roll: awkward silence ensues...


Image

va323
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby va323 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:12 pm

blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:As for me being in the wrong thread, I'll be here until the end of the cycle, so get used to it buddy. I'll be especially happy when you get dinged.


This is not the Michigan spirit. If you think you're going to come here and act like that...think again. Peer pressure and being ostracized is a bitch. Also, now may be a good time to start thinking about the fact that the legal world is very small and anything you say or do will follow you from now until forever.

Edit: Including bad jokes that seem like cover-ups for being a momentary asshole.


love this, one reason why im leaning towards michigan hard

nothing against JoeMo, just think this is a cool attitude

User avatar
bigtexmex
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby bigtexmex » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Moriarty wrote:
bigtexmex wrote:Got a fee waiver from Michigan today, and just said what the hell. Why not?

3.6/165/URM

We'll see what happens. I did one of the optional essays just in case.


Good luck! Fee waivers are how I got sucked into the T14 in general.


I know, right? But, I have nothing to lose, and quite a bit to gain.

Good luck to you too!

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby eaper » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:17 pm

bigtexmex wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
bigtexmex wrote:Got a fee waiver from Michigan today, and just said what the hell. Why not?

3.6/165/URM

We'll see what happens. I did one of the optional essays just in case.


Good luck! Fee waivers are how I got sucked into the T14 in general.


I know, right? But, I have nothing to lose, and quite a bit to gain.

Good luck to you too!


Haha glad I'm not the only one to do this.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:43 pm

va323 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:As for me being in the wrong thread, I'll be here until the end of the cycle, so get used to it buddy. I'll be especially happy when you get dinged.


This is not the Michigan spirit. If you think you're going to come here and act like that...think again. Peer pressure and being ostracized is a bitch. Also, now may be a good time to start thinking about the fact that the legal world is very small and anything you say or do will follow you from now until forever.

Edit: Including bad jokes that seem like cover-ups for being a momentary asshole.


love this, one reason why im leaning towards michigan hard

nothing against JoeMo, just think this is a cool attitude


I agree, when I spoke with people early in the cycle the consensus seemed to be that the collegiality that blowhard has demonstrated ITT is pervasive at UMich which is awesome.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:22 pm

I agree with JoeMo. We all understand how trying a time this is, and we should all agree the sooner it is over, the better. It is perfectly fine to obsess over every little detail on TLS, but when that spills over into the real world and manifests in phone calls, emails, and the like, the process just gets slowed down. To this point, Dean Z has not given anyone a reason not to trust her, so we should take her at her word that the email doesn't mean anything and they are working as quickly as efficiency and quality allow. Let's leave them to their job and keep the neuroses here.

/rant

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby DaftAndDirect » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:24 am

va323 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
JoeMo wrote:As for me being in the wrong thread, I'll be here until the end of the cycle, so get used to it buddy. I'll be especially happy when you get dinged.


This is not the Michigan spirit. If you think you're going to come here and act like that...think again. Peer pressure and being ostracized is a bitch. Also, now may be a good time to start thinking about the fact that the legal world is very small and anything you say or do will follow you from now until forever.

Edit: Including bad jokes that seem like cover-ups for being a momentary asshole.


love this, one reason why im leaning towards michigan hard

nothing against JoeMo, just think this is a cool attitude


+100 for Michigan spirit. I am so happy that someone in this thread actually used that phrase. The collegiality of Michigan is such a huge draw for me, but I sometimes feel hokey when telling my friends that.

Also +1 for being a momentary asshole but moving on. It happens to all of us.

ralph_pootawn
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ralph_pootawn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:46 am

JoeMo wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:I actually did call earlier and got through to an admissions official who was super helpful about explaining what's going on. Thanks for the advice, but I think you're in the wrong thread pal.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=166294


Yes, their staff is very helpful this has been stated many times before. It still doesn't take away from the douche factor of calling about what getting or not getting an e-mail means. If I were on an adcom I'd be worried about the type of neurotic person that has to call about shit like that and how well they'd be able to handle the long wait for grades. And just because they're nice to you on the phone it does not mean they're not internally rolling their eyes.

As for me being in the wrong thread, I'll be here until the end of the cycle, so get used to it buddy. I'll be especially happy when you get dinged.


wow. really?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, BuyaLittleMercy, GoGreen17, GOODWORKSTE, jdanz, premalone, sec_undergrad, theothercat and 36 guests