Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EMZE

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:28 pm

fltanglab wrote:
EMZE wrote:Ding ding ding ding. I already deleted the status checker link, but it pretty clearly states rejected, not something you should worry about missing. The status itself is decision, and then there is a note at the bottom that reads something to the effect of "we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a seat in our upcoming class."

I know everyone on here watched me try and read the crystal ball, so you may know my situation, but:

LSAT just above/ GPA below each 25%, non-URM, no e-mail.

Not quite surprised, outside of the context of all the other schools that given me the more desirable wait list or hold.
Best of luck to everyone, especially those for whom UMich is a first choice.

And, does anyone know if the reject snail mail comes with a handwritten note? Because that's what I really feel like I am going to wish I had.

No, it doesn't. But mine was signed by Dean Z and had a word underlined in pen also, which was interesting I thought.

Cool. Not looking for you to respond, but I speculate she underlined the "not" in the part where schools say "our decision is NOT a reflection of school X's impression of whether you will be a successful lawyer." Assuming it even says something like that, I'm yet to receive mine from the mailman. It would seem like they try to soften the blow, which is nice. I appreciate that more than the fee waivers that address me as Mr. _X__.

For those getting bitter, save it for the ding bar. Let those accepted and awaiting decisions not be swayed by our cynicism.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:30 pm

addy11 wrote:Been complete since October, great numbers, wrote Why Mich, got the email, and have heard nothing. I was very much expecting a WL; now I'm just intrigued by what happens next!

Ditto but Complete since early Dec. Radio Silence is disconcerting.

Parmenides

Postby Parmenides » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:33 pm

The radio silence is starting to get to me.
Do rejection letters come by owl, or is that just for acceptances?

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm

JoeMo wrote:
hyakku wrote:
luxxe wrote:Sorry, EMZE. Thanks for the info though.

I haven't had any movement on any of my apps in almost a month now except that silly email from Dean Z, so I'm going crazy. Ugh, come on Michigan, give me SOMETHING.

That's how I feel luxxe. Really would love Mich to come throughnfor me this week. After visiting Columbia, I realized I think NYU would be a better fit for me, but Michigan was always my other number one so it's quickly become my top choice. I just want to be able to start looking for housing and getting excited about wherever I'm going.

Really, you didn't like Columbia? They're the only school I'm waiting on (and totally don't think I'm getting in) but am interested in hearing your rationale.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great school but when I revisited I remembered why I was unimpressed with Columbia when I visited in high school. Although they have the benefit of saying they have a "campus" in NY, it's not really that large and the surrounding area is pretty boring IMO (I like visiting the MET and whatnot, but it's not exactly near the epicenter of action in NY). That's not a reason NOT to go, but in general, the energy on the campus is a bit more muted and intellectual. Sometimes I find that tranquility kind of relaxing, especially in New York, but I also feel somewhat detached from the city when I'm there.

Maybe it was because it was the first time I visited NYU, but even without a campus the energy surrounding the campus was far more my style. The vibe was electric and stimulating in comparison IMO. I also preferred NYUs facilities. Aesthetically they are far more pleasing than CLS, but even their amenities I liked a lot more. Obviously I couldn't talk to professors, but students at CLS (law students and students in general) I find to be a bit more reserved and keep to themselves compared to NYU students.

Those are just a few of my observations, I realize these could be positives or negatives depending on the person. AA offers more of what I want than both schools though.

You hear me Dean Z??

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:44 pm

hyakku wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
hyakku wrote:
luxxe wrote:Sorry, EMZE. Thanks for the info though.

I haven't had any movement on any of my apps in almost a month now except that silly email from Dean Z, so I'm going crazy. Ugh, come on Michigan, give me SOMETHING.

That's how I feel luxxe. Really would love Mich to come throughnfor me this week. After visiting Columbia, I realized I think NYU would be a better fit for me, but Michigan was always my other number one so it's quickly become my top choice. I just want to be able to start looking for housing and getting excited about wherever I'm going.

Really, you didn't like Columbia? They're the only school I'm waiting on (and totally don't think I'm getting in) but am interested in hearing your rationale.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great school but when I revisited I remembered why I was unimpressed with Columbia when I visited in high school. Although they have the benefit of saying they have a "campus" in NY, it's not really that large and the surrounding area is pretty boring IMO (I like visiting the MET and whatnot, but it's not exactly near the epicenter of action in NY). That's not a reason NOT to go, but in general, the energy on the campus is a bit more muted and intellectual. Sometimes I find that tranquility kind of relaxing, especially in New York, but I also feel somewhat detached from the city when I'm there.

Maybe it was because it was the first time I visited NYU, but even without a campus the energy surrounding the campus was far more my style. The vibe was electric and stimulating in comparison IMO. I also preferred NYUs facilities. Aesthetically they are far more pleasing than CLS, but even their amenities I liked a lot more. Obviously I couldn't talk to professors, but students at CLS (law students and students in general) I find to be a bit more reserved and keep to themselves compared to NYU students.

Those are just a few of my observations, I realize these could be positives or negatives depending on the person. AA offers more of what I want than both schools though.

You hear me Dean Z??

Thanks for the insightful response. I guess I'll have to wait and hear back from CLS but since I probably won't be getting in, I probably won't have to consider anyway.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:09 pm

JoeMo wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Dinged. Oh well :( I reeeaaalllyyy wanted to go to ASW too!!

ETA : oops forgot my info. It's late and I'm a bit lazy so my stats are 2.8/176, I submitted late October, did NOT receive the email, and you can see status checker and complete dates on LSN at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical :D !!!!

Oh no! I wanted to meet you at ASW. You're a pretty cool TLS'er.

Hahah yeah, I wanted to go to ASW too!!! And thanks, I could say the same of you <3 ^_^

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:17 pm

No e-mail, I have >75% numbers and my status still says complete... fingers are crossed!

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:35 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:No e-mail, I have >75% numbers and my status still says complete... fingers are crossed!

Me and you = same person. Let me know if you see any movement!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:40 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Dinged. Oh well :( I reeeaaalllyyy wanted to go to ASW too!!

ETA : oops forgot my info. It's late and I'm a bit lazy so my stats are 2.8/176, I submitted late October, did NOT receive the email, and you can see status checker and complete dates on LSN at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical :D !!!!

Hahah yeah, I wanted to go to ASW too!!! And thanks, I could say the same of you <3 ^_^

if redacted and I get in, you are his date

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:44 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

if redacted and I get in, you are his date

LOL!!! I was thinking more along the lines of being soj's date...I'm sure I could turn him with enough time ;)

JK, but in all seriousness it would be AWESOME to attend ASW as someone's +1 :mrgreen:

dakure

Postby dakure » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:48 pm

You're more than welcome to be my +1 Crumps. Also, fuck michigan for rejecting my friends.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:52 pm

So far, the only person who did NOT get the email but was accepted anyway applied so late that s/he shouldn't have gotten the email to begin with, correct?

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Also, just wanted to note how absolutely ridiculous it is that Michigan has made a decision on my app for about three weeks now but has still not updated the status checker.

sums

Postby sums » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:09 pm

I didn't get the email but I'm just complete at 1/16 & no rejection letter in the mail today. Am I the only non-emailer left surviving?? :(

edit: I got my status checker on 11/22

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:11 pm

sums wrote:I didn't get the email but I'm just complete at 1/16 & no rejection letter in the mail today. Am I the only non-emailer left surviving?? :(

No there's a bunch of us (me, for example, a 12/7 status checker). Most of the no email + no dinger today crowd seems to have strong numbers, FWIW. So I dunno...

sums

Postby sums » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:14 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
sums wrote:I didn't get the email but I'm just complete at 1/16 & no rejection letter in the mail today. Am I the only non-emailer left surviving?? :(

No there's a bunch of us (me, for example, a 12/7 status checker). Most of the no email + no dinger today crowd seems to have strong numbers, FWIW. So I dunno...

Well hopefully you just haven't been reviewed yet with your 12/7 date! I feel like most of the 11/22ers have been either accepted or axed by now

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:15 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Also, just wanted to note how absolutely ridiculous it is that Michigan has made a decision on my app for about three weeks now but has still not updated the status checker.

How do you know they have a decision? I have the same status checker date as you so I would love our acceptances to roll out soon.....

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:20 pm

dakure wrote:You're more than welcome to be my +1 Crumps. Also, fuck michigan for rejecting my friends.

I am in love with Michigan and can never truly hate her, but I am so damn mad about Crumps getting dinged.

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:25 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
dakure wrote:You're more than welcome to be my +1 Crumps. Also, fuck michigan for rejecting my friends.

I am in love with Michigan and can never truly hate her, but I am so damn mad about Crumps getting dinged.

+1

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:16 pm

I'm in the no-email (from Dean Z), no-decision bunch. I'm above both 75%'s. No Why Mich. Applied 11/08 and got status checker 12/07. My status is still complete and I have no received anything in the mail. Bracing for tomorrow.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:26 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:

If they made their decision on your app before sending the email, then I don't think you're in the same boat as those that are stuck at complete without an email.

poultry

Postby poultry » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:53 pm

Last edited by poultry on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:57 pm

I uh haven't received a status checker email, applied in early December? How long did it take y'all to receive it from application?

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 pm

<grabs popcorn. waits for ensuing onslaught>

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Parmenides wrote:Do rejection letters come by owl

You just won big time.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”