Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mr. Somebody

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:28 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:WHY HASN'T MY STATUS CHANGED TO REJECTED YET?!

Now I'm gonna worry about this for the rest of the day...ugh.

Sorry to all the dings, but we sort've knew they were comin' guys.

Saw the rejections late last night, checked my status frantically on my phone and was never so relieved to see the same complete message

But there's not enough speculation in this thread. What does this mean for those of us who didn't get the e-mail and are still waiting to hear? Are we in the clear or are they still working on our apps?

chem

Postby chem » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:

Saw the rejections late last night, checked my status frantically on my phone and was never so relieved to see the same complete message

But there's not enough speculation in this thread. What does this mean for those of us who didn't get the e-mail and are still waiting to hear? Are we in the clear or are they still working on our apps?

Not sure. I think that we might be in the clear though, as my status checker just updated to todays date (1/16). Hopefully a decision soon then!

:wink:

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:32 pm

chem wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:

Not sure. I think that we might be in the clear though, as my status checker just updated to todays date (1/16). Hopefully a decision soon then!

+1. Either we're headed for waitlists, or we're going update to rejected tomorrow/the next day.

What are the stats like of people who didn't get the email and haven't updated to rejected today. I'll start

>171, >3.8

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Sorry to those who got dinged today.... I just checked to find out that I was admitted... 3.69/173 DID receive the email

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:38 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
chem wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:

+1. Either we're headed for waitlists, or we're going update to rejected tomorrow/the next day.

What are the stats like of people who didn't get the email and haven't updated to rejected today. I'll start

>171, >3.8

Way above 75th LSAT, below 25th GPA

Also, wasn't someone admitted last week who got no e-mail? So there's still hope :(

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Last edited by Doorkeeper on Tue May 08, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Checking in: no email, no rejection, 12/22 status checker, >3.7, >175

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Got the email, not dinged yet, still at complete, someone is awake over there too, I woke up to en email from them and freaked out, then i realized they were getting back to me about a quick add to my app. Well at least I know someone will be looking at it soon again.

At this point I just wish I had a better idea about where i was going. It's nearing Feb, and I've only heard back from 1/6 schools. As much as I like not being rejected, planning a cross country move isn't something that's done in a week :/

crewbie13

Postby crewbie13 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

In this morning via status checker. I did get the email.
178/~3.7

so excited :D

ryemanhattan

Postby ryemanhattan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Ding.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:32 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:Ding.

sorry to hear that.

email...stats...dates...how'd you find out?

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:34 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:Ding.

Sorry man. At least you got that NU am i right?

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Ding ding ding ding. I already deleted the status checker link, but it pretty clearly states rejected, not something you should worry about missing. The status itself is decision, and then there is a note at the bottom that reads something to the effect of "we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a seat in our upcoming class."

I know everyone on here watched me try and read the crystal ball, so you may know my situation, but:

LSAT just above/ GPA below each 25%, non-URM, no e-mail.

Not quite surprised, outside of the context of all the other schools that given me the more desirable wait list or hold.
Best of luck to everyone, especially those for whom UMich is a first choice.

And, does anyone know if the reject snail mail comes with a handwritten note? Because that's what I really feel like I am going to wish I had.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:43 pm

EMZE wrote:Ding ding ding ding. I already deleted the status checker link, but it pretty clearly states rejected, not something you should worry about missing. The status itself is decision, and then there is a note at the bottom that reads something to the effect of "we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a seat in our upcoming class."

I know everyone on here watched me try and read the crystal ball, so you may know my situation, but:

Not quite surprised, outside of the context of all the other schools that given me the more desirable wait list or hold.

And, does anyone know if the reject snail mail comes with a handwritten note? Because that's what I really feel like I am going to wish I had.

Aww sorry to hear that man. I was rooting for you.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Sorry, EMZE. Thanks for the info though.

I haven't had any movement on any of my apps in almost a month now except that silly email from Dean Z, so I'm going crazy. Ugh, come on Michigan, give me SOMETHING.

Green Glass Windows

Postby Green Glass Windows » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Michigan is a pretty serious reach for me, so I'm sorta surprised that I didn't get rejected today. However, I think it might just be because I haven't had my checker long enough yet. 1/4. I was just wondering, has anyone who got a status checker after the new year heard back at all yet?

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:59 pm

luxxe wrote:Sorry, EMZE. Thanks for the info though.

I haven't had any movement on any of my apps in almost a month now except that silly email from Dean Z, so I'm going crazy. Ugh, come on Michigan, give me SOMETHING.

That's how I feel luxxe. Really would love Mich to come throughnfor me this week. After visiting Columbia, I realized I think NYU would be a better fit for me, but Michigan was always my other number one so it's quickly become my top choice. I just want to be able to start looking for housing and getting excited about wherever I'm going.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:04 pm

hyakku wrote:

That's how I feel luxxe. Really would love Mich to come throughnfor me this week. After visiting Columbia, I realized I think NYU would be a better fit for me, but Michigan was always my other number one so it's quickly become my top choice. I just want to be able to start looking for housing and getting excited about wherever I'm going.

Thanks whiteguy. It's okay with me, I mean, I would have liked it as an option, and definitely got sucked into the allure of the school via TLS, but it wouldn't have been an easy fit based on family situation anyway. And, it gave me a shot at the ding bar, which was really cathartic. Now I know why it exists and the true purpose it serves.

whoevencares

Postby whoevencares » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Ding!.. via status check. Did not receive email last week

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:12 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Dinged. Oh well :( I reeeaaalllyyy wanted to go to ASW too!!

ETA : oops forgot my info. It's late and I'm a bit lazy so my stats are 2.8/176, I submitted late October, did NOT receive the email, and you can see status checker and complete dates on LSN at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical :D !!!!

Oh no! I wanted to meet you at ASW. You're a pretty cool TLS'er.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm

EMZE wrote:Ding ding ding ding. I already deleted the status checker link, but it pretty clearly states rejected, not something you should worry about missing. The status itself is decision, and then there is a note at the bottom that reads something to the effect of "we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a seat in our upcoming class."

No, it doesn't. But mine was signed by Dean Z and had a word underlined in pen also, which was interesting I thought.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:18 pm

potl wrote:
ktsai4 wrote:so what does this mean for people with 1/14 status updates? just got dinged from Chicago lol don't know if i can handle another ding this soon =/

There needs to be something in the thread title like "x days without a post about the frequency of Michigan's status checker updates."

Also, regarding the whole YP thing, I think Jam + blowhard are probably right. If you're being yield protected, the school would offer you a spot on the wait list; it wouldn't reject you. The more likely explanation for high numbered candidates being denied admission is that, for whatever reason, their applications lacked some specific quality that UM's adcomm was looking for. Alternatively, it's possible that these candidates DID have some specific quality/background that UM may have been looking for earlier in the cycle, but the adcomm already offered a sufficient number of offers to other earlier applicants who also demonstrated those qualities/backgrounds.

But who knows, really? I know that the whole "you were YPed" thing may seem comforting to people, but it also seems a bit disrespectful (albeit indirectly) to those who have been admitted. FWIW, I have not been admitted.

Solid Response

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:20 pm

scottybared wrote:Also rejected. 11/18 status checker. Dean Y's (or whatever her name is) blog post the email meaning nothing was misleading at best, downright deceitful at worst. It kind of makes me like her even less than had she written nothing at all. Or maybe I'm just bitter :)

You're just bitter. It's Dean Z and she's amazing. And clearly the e-mail didn't mean anything, it was the lack of an e-mail that meant something. (and not really even that but that's the TLS mentality pervasive at the moment) :P

addy11

Postby addy11 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Been complete since October, great numbers, wrote Why Mich, got the email, and have heard nothing. I was very much expecting a WL; now I'm just intrigued by what happens next!

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:24 pm

hyakku wrote:

Really, you didn't like Columbia? They're the only school I'm waiting on (and totally don't think I'm getting in) but am interested in hearing your rationale.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”