Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
keg411

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby keg411 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:23 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Apparently Dean Z hasn't even seen my application yet. And here I was thinking I had a decision coming in the next week or two because the deadline for 10 weeks after my status checker is almost up. Sigghh ): More waiting, I guess.

Crumps, that's a good thing. You are getting in. Dean Z is going to <3 you.

woodscommaL

Postby woodscommaL » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:22 am

I went complete 12/15...where's my status checker? :(

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:35 am

JustE wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:Have you come over to the light side? (aka Michigan)

Oh yeah. She doesn't know it, but she'll be joining us in AA next year...

Ahhh, well my heart is still decisively with Northwestern, but it's hard not to get caught up in hoping and wishing for more acceptances. And, of course, Michigan is one of the few schools I would actually have to sit down and think about if I got into.
keg411 wrote:Crumps, that's a good thing. You are getting in. Dean Z is going to <3 you.

HAhaha I hope so! We'll see.

pineappl

Postby pineappl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:09 am

Ok, I don't usually post but to hopefully calm a couple nerves, I just got in via status checker this morning! Submit 11/23 or so, complete 12/1ish, Status checker 12/22 and I did NOT get weird email last week. There's hope for the NO emails too; :) I'd been scared. Appx 25% LSAT, >75% gpa (very roughly, I'm not sure of their actual numbers). URM

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:29 am

pineappl wrote:Ok, I don't usually post but to hopefully calm a couple nerves, I just got in via status checker this morning! Submit 11/23 or so, complete 12/1ish, Status checker 12/22 and I did NOT get weird email last week. There's hope for the NO emails too; :) I'd been scared. Appx 25% LSAT, >75% gpa (very roughly, I'm not sure of their actual numbers). URM

Wow, congrats! And that's awesome news!

I just hope the cutoff date for the email wasn't 11/22, when I submitted. :)

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:54 am

woodscommaL wrote:I went complete 12/15...where's my status checker? :(

Any day know? Mine took a little over a month IIRC.

pineappl wrote:Ok, I don't usually post but to hopefully calm a couple nerves, I just got in via status checker this morning! Submit 11/23 or so, complete 12/1ish, Status checker 12/22 and I did NOT get weird email last week. There's hope for the NO emails too; :) I'd been scared. Appx 25% LSAT, >75% gpa (very roughly, I'm not sure of their actual numbers). URM

Sweet, congrats! Finally some good news!

Wait - as in Saturday morning??

ColumbiaChamp

Postby ColumbiaChamp » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:55 am

cerealdan wrote:

Wow, congrats! And that's awesome news!

I just hope the cutoff date for the email wasn't 11/22, when I submitted. :)

I missed the email chatter. what is this email everyone is buzzing about?

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Checking in. I applied on 11/08 and received my status checker on 12/07.

I did NOT receive the email that Dean Z mentions in her blog. My status checker still says "Complete." I cannot check my mail until Tuesday. I hope I haven't been rejected already. Good luck/congratulations/condolences.

pineappl

Postby pineappl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:

Yeah, it was kind of weird timing, but the status checker said Congrats with a date of this morning (and I think I'd checked yesterday - certainly at least Thursday - with it saying just Complete)...

thelong

Postby thelong » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:48 pm

pineappl wrote:
Elliott_Smith wrote:

Yeah, it was kind of weird timing, but the status checker said Congrats with a date of this morning (and I think I'd checked yesterday - certainly at least Thursday - with it saying just Complete)...

I have a feeling that status checker updates post in the wee hours of the morning for everyone. So the decision was probably made yesterday and updated today.

Congratulations, by the way!

Let me in Michigan!

MissElphaba

Postby MissElphaba » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Sorry to ask because I'm sure it's been answered, but are the scholarship amounts on the asw per year or for all three years? It's tough to go through the whole thread on my phone.

thelong

Postby thelong » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:27 pm

MissElphaba wrote:Sorry to ask because I'm sure it's been answered, but are the scholarship amounts on the asw per year or for all three years? It's tough to go through the whole thread on my phone.

Per year.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:39 pm

thelong

Postby thelong » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:39 pm

That looks like a very patient black bear.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Yes, patiently waiting to hear from Michigan.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:46 pm

I didn't get the email, stuck on complete. Still nothing in the mail.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Eh, you've got great numbers, I wouldn't worry too much.

Note that patient black bear did not get the email either.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:Eh, you've got great numbers, I wouldn't worry too much.

As my WL at Chicago proves, great numbers can work against you, especially at a place like Michigan, for which I didn't write a Why X essay.

Also, have we moved away from the consensus that no hold email + no congrats on your status = rejection?

acadec

Postby acadec » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:59 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
Elliott_Smith wrote:Eh, you've got great numbers, I wouldn't worry too much.

As my WL at Chicago proves, great numbers can work against you, especially at a place like Michigan, for which I didn't write a Why X essay.

Also, have we moved away from the consensus that no hold email + no congrats on your status = rejection?

I haven't, but I'd add "status checker before 12/15" to the left side of the equation.

Elliott_Smith

Postby Elliott_Smith » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:03 pm

*shrug*

I thought Dean Z was pretty clear that it shouldn't really be read into. If they'd slated people for rejection, they'd have already heard, no?

I didn't get it, but didn't get my SC until January.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:04 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:I didn't get the email, stuck on complete. Still nothing in the mail.

Same.

Was disappointed this morning to discover that the status checker does not have anything to indicate anything regarding a decision being rendered, what the nature of a decision would be, or a mailings section to indicate something has gone out (I could have figured that out before this morning but never thought to look for it).

I was under the impression based on those blog posts that a rejection would be indicated on the status checker, though RC has never been my strong suit. Has anyone who has been denied admission had their status update to such? No one has mentioned a status other than complete or congrats.

clarion

Postby clarion » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Elliott_Smith wrote:*shrug*

I thought Dean Z was pretty clear that it shouldn't really be read into. If they'd slated people for rejection, they'd have already heard, no?

No... lol because! As msblaw pointed out, rejections were mailed yesterday. So unless those rejections were mailed via overnight shipping (which would be convenient but extremely unlikely), then us email-less people might have fun news awaiting us in the mail come Tuesday/Wednesday afternoon.

On the up-side, crumpets applied earlyish, didn't get an email, and reported that her application had not even been LOOKED at even though she apparently got her status checker almost 10 weeks ago.

So based on those two things, being without an email does not seem to be as much of an outright rejection as was originally thought. But none of us are quite in the clear just yet. At the same time, since you didn't get a SC until January, I'm almost certain that you don't have anything to fear at this point. It's more for those of us who've been waiting quite a while.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:14 pm

clarion wrote:

No... lol because! As msblaw pointed out, rejections were mailed yesterday. So unless those rejections were mailed via overnight shipping (which would be convenient but extremely unlikely), then us email-less people might have fun news awaiting us in the mail come Tuesday/Wednesday afternoon.

On the up-side, crumpets applied earlyish, didn't get an email, and reported that her application had not even been LOOKED at even though she apparently got her status checker almost 10 weeks ago.

So based on those two things, being without an email does not seem to be as much of an outright rejection as was originally thought. But none of us are quite in the clear just yet. At the same time, since you didn't get a SC until January, I'm almost certain that you don't have anything to fear at this point. It's more for those of us who've been waiting quite a while.

While this is hopeful, I think what crumpets actually said was that Dean Z had not seen her application, not that her application had not yet been reviewed by anyone at UMichigan.

Does Dean Z read every application? I was under the impression that she read some % of applications, but reviewed every acceptance.

So, this scenario becomes less positive when you consider that perhaps Dean Z has not seen ones application because it was never submitted as a potential acceptance.

clarion

Postby clarion » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:47 pm

EMZE wrote:
clarion wrote:

While this is hopeful, I think what crumpets actually said was that Dean Z had not seen her application, not that her application had not yet been reviewed by anyone at UMichigan.

Does Dean Z read every application? I was under the impression that she read some % of applications, but reviewed every acceptance.

So, this scenario becomes less positive when you consider that perhaps Dean Z has not seen ones application because it was never submitted as a potential acceptance.

Hm, I most certainly hadn't thought of it that way. But yeah, it was meant to be hopeful more than anything. To really make anything of it, you'd probably have to talk to Crumpets and find out exactly what was said, and in what context. Dean Z doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would say "I never saw your app" without adding "but a decision has been mailed" if that were indeed the case. In more than one instance, she has been quite transparent about lots of things so far. But I absolutely could be wrong lol, and I guess we'll just have to see. I just try to remain optimistic on these threads to offset the insane cynicism I feel in the real world. Like personally, I have no doubt in my mind that a rejection letter is going to be in my mailbox sometime next week: :P especially with my softs (and numbers) being what they are.

But hopefully some of us will be spared! :D GLHF!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”