Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Cav3d
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:32 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Cav3d » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:49 am

TMC, Congrats! And you'd gotten the email yesterday?

TMC116
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby TMC116 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:51 am

Cav3d wrote:TMC, Congrats! And you'd gotten the email yesterday?


yup.

User avatar
ds.princess
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ds.princess » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:51 am

congrats!

Also got the weird email.. didn't know what to think of it...
but i just got into harvard law and plan to withdraw from michigan if admitted. does anyone know if its possible to withdraw before they make a decision? i don't want to get in the way of someone else's admit

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:13 am

ds.princess wrote:congrats!

Also got the weird email.. didn't know what to think of it...
but i just got into harvard law and plan to withdraw from michigan if admitted. does anyone know if its possible to withdraw before they make a decision? i don't want to get in the way of someone else's admit


Yes, I've withdrawn before admitted to places I wouldn't consider. So if you're sure you're going to Harvard and there's nothing Michigan can do to lure you away from Harvard then withdraw.

EMZE
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby EMZE » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:21 am

TMC116 wrote:
Cav3d wrote:TMC, Congrats! And you'd gotten the email yesterday?


yup.


See, my point about the email was that it means for those of us who did not get it, I believe a rejection is in the works in the short future. Could it really be so arbitrary that an email explaining to keep our hopes up would be sent out to the applicant pool or random?

ETA: Also, rejections last year seem to have been dished out via snail mail. Which would also explain why they didnt send an email - a decision is rendered and incoming.
Last edited by EMZE on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ds.princess
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ds.princess » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:24 am

JoeMo wrote:
ds.princess wrote:congrats!

Also got the weird email.. didn't know what to think of it...
but i just got into harvard law and plan to withdraw from michigan if admitted. does anyone know if its possible to withdraw before they make a decision? i don't want to get in the way of someone else's admit


Yes, I've withdrawn before admitted to places I wouldn't consider. So if you're sure you're going to Harvard and there's nothing Michigan can do to lure you away from Harvard then withdraw.



how do I withdraw? do i do that through LSAC or write them a snail mail or...?

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelong » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:26 am

ds.princess wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
ds.princess wrote:congrats!

Also got the weird email.. didn't know what to think of it...
but i just got into harvard law and plan to withdraw from michigan if admitted. does anyone know if its possible to withdraw before they make a decision? i don't want to get in the way of someone else's admit


Yes, I've withdrawn before admitted to places I wouldn't consider. So if you're sure you're going to Harvard and there's nothing Michigan can do to lure you away from Harvard then withdraw.



how do I withdraw? do i do that through LSAC or write them a snail mail or...?


Usually just a one-line e-mail.

Dear xxxxx

Thank you for your consideration blah blah blah. I would like to withdraw my application to attend blah blah blah....

Sincerely, xxxxx

nbagirl73
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby nbagirl73 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 am

Hi- Lurker, first post, just saying that I also received yesterday's email and am in by status checker this morning! Definitely was not in last night when I checked. Don't freak out, everyone, and good luck.

User avatar
Campagnolo
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Campagnolo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:47 am

thelong wrote:
ds.princess wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
ds.princess wrote:congrats!

Also got the weird email.. didn't know what to think of it...
but i just got into harvard law and plan to withdraw from michigan if admitted. does anyone know if its possible to withdraw before they make a decision? i don't want to get in the way of someone else's admit


Yes, I've withdrawn before admitted to places I wouldn't consider. So if you're sure you're going to Harvard and there's nothing Michigan can do to lure you away from Harvard then withdraw.



how do I withdraw? do i do that through LSAC or write them a snail mail or...?


Usually just a one-line e-mail.

Dear xxxxx

Thank you for your consideration blah blah blah. I would like to withdraw my application to attend blah blah blah....

Sincerely, xxxxx


Be sure to include your LSAC #

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thelong » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 am

Campagnolo wrote:
thelong wrote:
Usually just a one-line e-mail.

Dear xxxxx

Thank you for your consideration blah blah blah. I would like to withdraw my application to attend blah blah blah....

Sincerely, xxxxx


Be sure to include your LSAC #


Right, definitely don't forget the LSAC number.

User avatar
JustE
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JustE » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:57 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It amazes me how helpful everyone is!... LOL

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby hyakku » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:59 am

Still not in, but at least we know the email really was pretty arbitrary. Thanks for posting all, back to lurking and praying for some mercy from Dean Z.

User avatar
ds.princess
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ds.princess » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:17 am

thanks so much!

User avatar
oldad
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:11 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby oldad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:22 am

hobojarpen wrote:Debating between whether I should send in a LOCI in response to this email or wait until I'm waitlisted (a risk) to send it in. I'm heavily leaning towards the former.


Can anyone shed some light on why it would be a risk to wait until later to send in an LOCI?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 am

oldad wrote:
hobojarpen wrote:Debating between whether I should send in a LOCI in response to this email or wait until I'm waitlisted (a risk) to send it in. I'm heavily leaning towards the former.


Can anyone shed some light on why it would be a risk to wait until later to send in an LOCI?


I think Hobo is hoping that sending in a LOCI now will give him that boost to get accepted vs. rejected. If he waits until he gets waitlisted he might get rejected instead thus losing out altogether.

However, I think it's all a bit paranoid. You send in a LOCI when you get waitlisted. I doubt that would be the one thing that would make the adcom say "let's take them".

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 am

JoeMo wrote:
oldad wrote:
hobojarpen wrote:Debating between whether I should send in a LOCI in response to this email or wait until I'm waitlisted (a risk) to send it in. I'm heavily leaning towards the former.


Can anyone shed some light on why it would be a risk to wait until later to send in an LOCI?


I think Hobo is hoping that sending in a LOCI now will give him that boost to get accepted vs. rejected. If he waits until he gets waitlisted he might get rejected instead thus losing out altogether.

However, I think it's all a bit paranoid. You send in a LOCI when you get waitlisted. I doubt that would be the one thing that would make the adcom say "let's take them".

I agree. Plus, with this e-mail.. it seems like everyone is chomping at the bit to send LOCI. This might overwhelm the adcomms and any one particular LOCI might not get the attention it deserves

User avatar
oldad
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:11 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby oldad » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:43 am

msblaw89 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
oldad wrote:
hobojarpen wrote:Debating between whether I should send in a LOCI in response to this email or wait until I'm waitlisted (a risk) to send it in. I'm heavily leaning towards the former.


Can anyone shed some light on why it would be a risk to wait until later to send in an LOCI?


I think Hobo is hoping that sending in a LOCI now will give him that boost to get accepted vs. rejected. If he waits until he gets waitlisted he might get rejected instead thus losing out altogether.

However, I think it's all a bit paranoid. You send in a LOCI when you get waitlisted. I doubt that would be the one thing that would make the adcom say "let's take them".

I agree. Plus, with this e-mail.. it seems like everyone is chomping at the bit to send LOCI. This might overwhelm the adcomms and any one particular LOCI might not get the attention it deserves


That seems to be likely. Do we think the same would be true of submitting a Why Mich if there wasn't one accompanying the original app?

kitkat450
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby kitkat450 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:03 pm

in!!! Shocked. Got the email yesterday tooo....

how did you all find out about fin aid?

User avatar
wendys27
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby wendys27 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 pm

People who are writing a LOCI. Who or whom are you addressing it to?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:31 pm

I want some love!

curiousgeorgia
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiousgeorgia » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:35 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I want some love!


Same! E-mail yesterday, but ASW still redirected me to status checker this morning!

thestillpoint
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby thestillpoint » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:43 pm

kitkat450 wrote:in!!! Shocked. Got the email yesterday tooo....

how did you all find out about fin aid?


+1. Got the email yesterday and got in today. So much stress for nothing, I'd definitely suggest people hold off on LOCIs. Glad I did.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7176
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:54 pm

kitkat450 wrote:in!!! Shocked. Got the email yesterday tooo....

how did you all find out about fin aid?


Your financial aid information will update on the ASW in 1-2 weeks.

User avatar
username08
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby username08 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Congrats to those who got in this morning!

User avatar
WhiteGuy5
Posts: 919
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:38 pm

So...what are we to make of NOT getting an email yesterday?

Also: :evil: @ the UMass email.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], oliviaj_j, Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests