Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
XCanadian91

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby XCanadian91 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Guys, relax. This isn't a waitlist. As someone said earlier, a waitlist email is very specific and includes a form to be filled out and returned. This is just Michigan's way of letting us know they haven't forgotten about us (which is exactly what everyone wishes the status checker would do).

I bet all the schools are waiting to see how the 16% drop in applicants shakes out and are consequently moving more slowly this year.

If it's a waitlist, I'll eat my shoe.

Kind of like Harvard's deferral email, maybe?

XCanadian91

Postby XCanadian91 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Guys, relax. This isn't a waitlist. As someone said earlier, a waitlist email is very specific and includes a form to be filled out and returned. This is just Michigan's way of letting us know they haven't forgotten about us (which is exactly what everyone wishes the status checker would do).

I bet all the schools are waiting to see how the 16% drop in applicants shakes out and are consequently moving more slowly this year.

If it's a waitlist, I'll eat my shoe.

I mean, what other t-14 sends an email to applicants without an associated (perhaps passive aggressive) meaning? I love UMich, but I just don't want to be in fantasy world.
Last edited by XCanadian91 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Didnt receive the email. Am a pretty weak candidate and Michigan is a big reach for me. Received my status checker 11/22. Dont know what to make of not receiving the email?

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Onthebrink wrote:I really think this is just Michigan trying to be nice. They are just so nice haha.

+1 - I'd advise not reading so much into this. Its simply an update letting you know they are still considering where to put you. If they intended it to be a hold, they would simply have said it.. Still a loci for those above 75ths or extra LOR for them/others can't hurt. I've always been of the mind though that you should throw everything you have at them from the start to try to avoid WL, rather than expecting it and trying to use LOR to get off it - so of course I would say send it given they are clearly very seriously considering your app right now and a strong LOR might be just the ticket!

hobojarpen

Postby hobojarpen » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:Does anyone think it wold be wise to send a LOCI right now? It says its they welcome new information but im not sure a LOCI applies and I don't want to annoy them with a superfluous essay.

I'm wondering the same. I've been working on it for the past 30 minutes...

XCanadian91

Postby XCanadian91 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Onthebrink wrote:I really think this is just Michigan trying to be nice. They are just so nice haha.

+1 - I'd advise not reading so much into this. Its simply an update letting you know they are still considering where to put you. If they intended it to be a hold, they would simply have said it.. Still a loci for those above 75ths or extra LOR for them/others can't hurt. I've always been of the mind though that you should throw everything you have at them from the start to try to avoid WL, rather than expecting it and trying to use LOR to get off it - so of course I would say send it given they are clearly very seriously considering your app right now and a strong LOR might be just the ticket!

Sage advice... for those who haven't received an email at this point, would you suggest we contact potential authors of LORs? Have it ready sooner than later?

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:49 pm

MumofCad wrote:

I think the fact that many of us with similar status checker dates have not gotten the email, indicates that it is a hold of some sort and not just a "be patient" email

dakure

Postby dakure » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

I think the fact that many of us with similar status checker dates have not gotten the email, indicates that it is a hold of some sort and not just a "be patient" email

Unless its an email for people who applied September/October/Early November?

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Held

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:51 pm

I just received whatever that email from Dean Z was supposed to mean (I guess not WL, but maybe a hold?)

Anyway, I've already sent a why Mich and have nothing else I can update with. So should I send a LOCI without any update, or do another Why Mich?

dakure

Postby dakure » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:52 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I just received whatever that email from Dean Z was supposed to mean (I guess not WL, but maybe a hold?)

Anyway, I've already sent a why Mich and have nothing else I can update with. So should I send a LOCI without any update, or do another Why Mich?

I'm asking myself the same question. I don't know what to write.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:53 pm

I did not get this email. Thus, it is likely that receiving this email is a good sign. Carry on.

MumofCad

Postby MumofCad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

Status checkers emails are administrative and comes in waves. You can speculate away in this process but the speculators are almost always wrong....and miserable. Your choice really. I def wouldn't read into sc dates

And to the other question, yes, get it ready and send it in if you have another strong LOR.
Last edited by MumofCad on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:54 pm

edit
Last edited by Mr. Somebody on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

citygirl000

Postby citygirl000 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:55 pm

Sounds like yield protection? Would you seriously consider Mich over NYU? Maybe send a LOCI to let them know they are your first choice[/quote]

It would honestly depend on the money and the fact im from the midwest pulls me there a bit. i think i'll just send another LOR from my current boss. hopefully that will help.[/quote]

Got the same email as well.

How do you send another LOR? Through LSAC?[/quote]

Yep im pretty sure its the same process. i may be wrong though.[/quote]

Thanks!

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:55 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

Status checkers emails are administrative and comes in waves. You can speculate away in this process but the speculators are almost always wrong....and miserable. Your choice really. I def wouldn't read into sc dates

And to the other question, yes, get it ready and send it in if you have another strong LOR.

haha, the most credited response.

XCanadian91

Postby XCanadian91 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm

MumofCad wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
MumofCad wrote:

Thanks Bro.

RomaRomaRoma

Postby RomaRomaRoma » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Any thoughts on adding an older LOR that was never designated for schools...an old date would appear, but would that matter?

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:00 pm

RomaRomaRoma wrote:Any thoughts on adding an older LOR that was never designated for schools...an old date would appear, but would that matter?

Dates don't matter, as long as it's not several years old.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:03 pm

If this is a true hold, it makes me want to vomit. The way it's worded makes it seem more like a deferral than a hold. Like, second review or something.

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:06 pm

I just think a large portion of us have butted up against that 10 week estimate they mentioned in the initial e-mail after they receive our applications. The e-mail is probably just to let those who haven't heard back yet know that they haven't lost their files and to prevent a stream of calls in the next couple of weeks.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:11 pm

thelong wrote:I just think a large portion of us have butted up against that 10 week estimate they mentioned in the initial e-mail after they receive our applications. The e-mail is probably just to let those who haven't heard back yet know that they haven't lost their files and to prevent a stream of calls in the next couple of weeks.

I'm considering calling (whereas I never have before) to find out, so it's not working!

annyong

Postby annyong » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Also received the email, early October complete date. I decided to withdraw my application, I pretty much know which schools I'm deciding between now and I doubt an acceptance or money from Mich would have changed anything, even though I think it's a great place and Dean Z is awesome. Anyways, good luck to those of you still waiting and I hope I potentially freed up a spot for one of you guys :)

acadec

Postby acadec » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:13 pm

hyakku wrote:Has anyone NOT gotten this email that's not in? At least then we could know.

I haven't. Complete in early November, LSAT over 75th and GPA below median.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Got the same email, status checker since early-mid November. 172/3.6x. Email basically confirms that we've been passed over for the time being.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”