Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Nelson wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Zelda wrote:Thanks! It is just hard to see people who went complete after you hear before you. (Obviously I am really happy for those who have gotten in though! :D :D ).

If I don't hear back by the first week in January it will likely be a WL. :(


Michigan will definitely yield protect. You already had a KB2 if I remember correctly, so YP is not unjustified. If you do end up WLed, I'm sure a good LOCI and they would pull you right off.


I'll say this again: I'm not sure if Michigan YP's to the extent that is implied here. I have a 177/3.78 in hard science, several years managerial experience working for a Fortune 100 financial services firm, I am a disabled veteran, and I was admitted to Michigan a few weeks after I went complete. I think Michigan really is trying to find specific people to fill its class with and numbers, though important, don't seem to play as much a part of the decision process as other schools.


Quibbling over terms? She has Darrow invite numbers. My point was that Michigan isn't going to outright reject someone with her numbers, but they certainly do waitlist people. If someone with those numbers is really committed to Michigan they're going to get in.


We aren't quibbling over terms... we are quibbling over whether or not Michigan YP's. Isn't the point of YP to waitlist/reject people you think are not going to attend your school because they will have better options? If that is the case, people with my numbers should not be admitted less than 4 weeks after applying. I should, based on numbers alone, be a YP waitlist. I was not, though. There are others with similar numbers that were not, either. If YP is the status quo, myself and others would not have been admitted already. It is quite possible that the people that haven't been admitted either half-assed the application because they figured they'd get into a better school and only applied for scholarship leverage or they just didn't have a very well put together application/LORs/PS. Just because you have a 4.0 and a 180 doesn't mean that you are able to put together a great app. And, even if you are, isn't it also very possible that Michigan admits people using their own special algorithm?

My point is that I think it is silly to assume the only reason someone with great numbers hasn't heard back yet is because of a policy (YP) that I don't think exists based on factual evidence.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby soj » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:51 pm

ScrabbleChamp, I don't necessarily disagree that Michigan doesn't YP, but I don't think your being accepted proves that it doesn't. Maybe Michigan thought based on your application that you were less lilkely to enroll elsewhere.

I think you and Nelson disagree on definitions in the sense that you believe YP means waitlisting every (or nearly every) "overqualified" applicant, and therefore believe your having been accepted proves that Michigan doesn't YP.

Nelson might believe that YP means not accepting many "overqualified" applicants just because they seem unlikely to enroll. That might be why he seems unconvinced by your argument.
Last edited by soj on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:54 pm

This YP discussion is getting so old. It's been brought up many times.

FWIW, I think they do it to a much less severe degree than UVA. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Dean Z reads every application and she can pick up on subtle hints of people she wants there.

Scotch anyone?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Nelson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:02 pm

soj wrote:ScrabbleChamp, I don't necessarily disagree that Michigan doesn't YP, but I don't think your being accepted proves that it doesn't. Maybe Michigan thought based on your application that you were less lilkely to enroll elsewhere.

I think you and Nelson disagree on definitions in the sense that you believe YP means waitlisting every (or nearly every) "overqualified" applicant, and therefore believe your having been accepted proves that Michigan doesn't YP.

Nelson might believe that YP means not accepting many "overqualified" applicants just because they seem unlikely to enroll. That might be why he seems unconvinced by your argument.


You said it more diplomatically than I would have. :)

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ahnhub » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Yeah sure, YP happens, but you can get around it by: 1) demonstrating interest right off the bat with your app, 2) sending in a simple LOCI a couple days after the wait list. Michigan will take a 175/3.9 in a jiffy. It sucks if you really wanted to go there and maybe get considered for a Darrow or something, but if that's the case then look at 1). (It also might potentially REALLY suck if you don't know about YP, and just assume Michigan hates you).

Who gets YP'ed is more interesting. I'm pretty sure a convincing Why Mich will keep you off the WL. Besides that, do they do it based on whether they have a hunch you might come, or just on apps they find more appealing?

Like for ScrabbleChamp, if you're qualified for Post-911 GI Bill Michigan would want to admit you because you have a HUGE incentive to go--it covers full public tuition. They might have a reason to think you'd turn down Columbia or Stanford for that.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:23 pm

ahnhub wrote:Yeah sure, YP happens, but you can get around it by: 1) demonstrating interest right off the bat with your app, 2) sending in a simple LOCI a couple days after the wait list. Michigan will take a 175/3.9 in a jiffy. It sucks if you really wanted to go there and maybe get considered for a Darrow or something, but if that's the case then look at 1). (It also might potentially REALLY suck if you don't know about YP, and just assume Michigan hates you).

Who gets YP'ed is more interesting. I'm pretty sure a convincing Why Mich will keep you off the WL. Besides that, do they do it based on whether they have a hunch you might come, or just on apps they find more appealing?

Like for ScrabbleChamp, if you're qualified for Post-911 GI Bill Michigan would want to admit you because you have a HUGE incentive to go--it covers full public tuition. They might have a reason to think you'd turn down Columbia or Stanford for that.


I don't know about Columbia, but Stanford has a match with the VA so that you end up not paying anything at Stanford, either. So, although I understand where you are going, Stanford is free for me, as well.

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ahnhub » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:26 pm

I don't know about Columbia, but Stanford has a match with the VA so that you end up not paying anything at Stanford, either. So, although I understand where you are going, Stanford is free for me, as well.


No, it's Harvard which covers the balance. Stanford matches $10,500 (which along with government match of 10,500 and cap of 17,500 puts you at about $38,000 covered--still an awesome deal, but looking at a balance of $12,000).

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:31 pm

ahnhub wrote:
I don't know about Columbia, but Stanford has a match with the VA so that you end up not paying anything at Stanford, either. So, although I understand where you are going, Stanford is free for me, as well.


No, it's Harvard which covers the balance. Stanford matches $10,500 (which along with government match of 10,500 and cap of 17,500 puts you at about $38,000 covered--still an awesome deal, but looking at a balance of $12,000).


Odd... they told me it is covered. Moot point, either way, as I'll be attending Michigan. I wonder if it is because the agreement for VA agreements for 2012-2013 haven't been published, yet?

User avatar
Zelda
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Zelda » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Nelson wrote:
Zelda wrote:Thanks! It is just hard to see people who went complete after you hear before you. (Obviously I am really happy for those who have gotten in though! :D :D ).

If I don't hear back by the first week in January it will likely be a WL. :(


Michigan will definitely yield protect. You already had a KB2 if I remember correctly, so YP is not unjustified. If you do end up WLed, I'm sure a good LOCI and they would pull you right off.


Nope. Just KB1. They haven't given KB2s to anyone in my batch yet.
Last edited by Zelda on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Zelda
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Zelda » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:13 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Zelda wrote:Thanks! It is just hard to see people who went complete after you hear before you. (Obviously I am really happy for those who have gotten in though! :D :D ).

If I don't hear back by the first week in January it will likely be a WL. :(


Michigan will definitely yield protect. You already had a KB2 if I remember correctly, so YP is not unjustified. If you do end up WLed, I'm sure a good LOCI and they would pull you right off.


I'll say this again: I'm not sure if Michigan YP's to the extent that is implied here. I have a 177/3.78 in hard science, several years managerial experience working for a Fortune 100 financial services firm, I am a disabled veteran, and I was admitted to Michigan a few weeks after I went complete. I think Michigan really is trying to find specific people to fill its class with and numbers, though important, don't seem to play as much a part of the decision process as other schools.


Just curious ScrabbleChamp, did you apply ED or RD? It says summer start in your profile so I assume that means ED?

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:20 pm

I applied RD as either summer or fall start. It appears that if you apply for RD and have been out of school for more than a year, they are more likely to grant summer start.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:58 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:I applied RD as either summer or fall start. It appears that if you apply for RD and have been out of school for more than a year, they are more likely to grant summer start.

The more the cycle goes on, the more I'm grateful for Mich's summer start. I don't think I can possibly wait until August to start LS. I've said this before but I'm definitely experiencing some major senioritis at my job ever since I got a t14 acceptance.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby skers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:02 am

No one in today then?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 am

TemporarySaint wrote:No one in today then?

Not I

User avatar
lawschool899
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby lawschool899 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:04 am

I originally applied for Fall Start only but the Summer Start seems like what I'd rather do. I'm not accepted but I am complete. Does anyone know if this can be changed? Or are only ED summer start?

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:I applied RD as either summer or fall start. It appears that if you apply for RD and have been out of school for more than a year, they are more likely to grant summer start.

The more the cycle goes on, the more I'm grateful for Mich's summer start. I don't think I can possibly wait until August to start LS. I've said this before but I'm definitely experiencing some major senioritis at my job ever since I got a t14 acceptance.


That came over me for a bit, but then it went away, and now I'm :shock: all the time that I won't be making nearly enough money before I leave as I wanted, and I'll be spending all that I do make on a trip taking up all of April and most of May (flying back 2 days before I'm set to move into my AA apartment). Sigh....

User avatar
descartesb4thehorse
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:03 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:07 am

lawschool899 wrote:I originally applied for Fall Start only but the Summer Start seems like what I'd rather do. I'm not accepted but I am complete. Does anyone know if this can be changed? Or are only ED summer start?


Call them and tell them. It's not just ED that summer starts. IMO, try to be considered for both.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby skers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:14 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:I applied RD as either summer or fall start. It appears that if you apply for RD and have been out of school for more than a year, they are more likely to grant summer start.

The more the cycle goes on, the more I'm grateful for Mich's summer start. I don't think I can possibly wait until August to start LS. I've said this before but I'm definitely experiencing some major senioritis at my job ever since I got a t14 acceptance.


That came over me for a bit, but then it went away, and now I'm :shock: all the time that I won't be making nearly enough money before I leave as I wanted, and I'll be spending all that I do make on a trip taking up all of April and most of May (flying back 2 days before I'm set to move into my AA apartment). Sigh....


Yeah I really would have considered Mich ED if not for summer start. I'm not turning down summer income as much as I love A2.

User avatar
JDizzle2015
Posts: 638
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JDizzle2015 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:29 am

descartesb4thehorse wrote:That came over me for a bit, but then it went away, and now I'm :shock: all the time that I won't be making nearly enough money before I leave as I wanted, and I'll be spending all that I do make on a trip taking up all of April and most of May (flying back 2 days before I'm set to move into my AA apartment). Sigh....

Where are you going?!?

I really hope it goes away for me too.

You already have a place signed in AA?? Crap. All the current students keep saying that we should find a place ASAP and then say that it's easy to find a place for summer... I'm also trying to figure out how tenable a decision to apply for PhiD would be since I'm pretty scared of being homeless next May and they don't make decisions until April. :lol: :?

User avatar
erikjc
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby erikjc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:31 am

Finally in via ASW :lol: Status checker 11/10, RD, 170/3.7x. Yay!

curiousgeorgia
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiousgeorgia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:36 am

erikjc wrote:Finally in via ASW :lol: Status checker 11/10, RD, 170/3.7x. Yay!


Ah congrats!!! Had you given up checking ASW every day, or is this update new from this morning?

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:06 am

I hate red text

User avatar
erikjc
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby erikjc » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:08 am

curiousgeorgia wrote:
erikjc wrote:Finally in via ASW :lol: Status checker 11/10, RD, 170/3.7x. Yay!


Ah congrats!!! Had you given up checking ASW every day, or is this update new from this morning?


Haha nope, I've been checking it so this was definitely an update this morning.

curiousgeorgia
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby curiousgeorgia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 am

erikjc wrote:
curiousgeorgia wrote:
erikjc wrote:Finally in via ASW :lol: Status checker 11/10, RD, 170/3.7x. Yay!


Ah congrats!!! Had you given up checking ASW every day, or is this update new from this morning?


Haha nope, I've been checking it so this was definitely an update this morning.


Awesome, thanks! Still red text for me, but your acceptance after a long wait gives me hope!

User avatar
Take Two
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Take Two » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:39 am

I interrupt your regularly scheduled morning neurosis to bring you this message:

PLEASE LOVE ME MICHIGAN!

and now back to your regularly scheduled programing!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ajoelles and 6 guests