Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JoeMo

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Strange wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
lawbound2012 wrote:IN! via ASW. OOS. Wrote Why Mich.

Status Checker: 11/10

Good luck to all those waiting!

Congrats!!!!!

Also, scholly updated for me today. 30k (10k/year). More than I expected since I'm below 25th GPA and at median LSAT.

Major congrats! I hope this bodes well for me, too! (169/3.66). *fingers crossed*

Is M usually this generous with money? Significant amounts to people at median and below another?

No, they're normally not generous.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Mich is weird with money. They give EDers money like they do to RDers. I'm really surprised I got scholly, but people with my numbers (ish) have often received 8-10k/year.

I know this is stupidly naive, but from observing this cycle and the last, Mich. really might be as "holistic" as they come for the T14. I know numbers still are dominant, but they look like they're really trying to get a class going that's committed to the school and dedicated to doing well. So far almost all of you with money seem to be highly interested in the school, and you can tell when you all post. Perhaps that's coming out to the adcomms and they're rewarding you all?

Again, forgive the naivete, just giving myself some hope :p

NervousNelly

Postby NervousNelly » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Hey,
Sorry, I know that this has probably been addressed, but I can't seem to find it. If someone would be kind enough to link me to the relevant thread section, I would really appreciate it.

Any ideas on how to interpret frequency of "complete" date changing? I finally went complete a week ago, and the dates have already changed twice!

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Mine also disappeared. I assumed "no money".

Unam, when you said yours was "zero awards" from last week until today, did you have the paragraph or not? Thanks!

It says the same thing for me. I doubt that's what it means.[/quote]

I really hope you're right.[/quote]

This. The paragraph about financial aid pending disappeared for me too. :([/quote][/quote]

Does anyone still have the paragraph about aid pending?[/quote]

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:04 pm

hyakku wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Mich is weird with money. They give EDers money like they do to RDers. I'm really surprised I got scholly, but people with my numbers (ish) have often received 8-10k/year.

I know this is stupidly naive, but from observing this cycle and the last, Mich. really might be as "holistic" as they come for the T14. I know numbers still are dominant, but they look like they're really trying to get a class going that's committed to the school and dedicated to doing well. So far almost all of you with money seem to be highly interested in the school, and you can tell when you all post. Perhaps that's coming out to the adcomms and they're rewarding you all?

I really like Mich but I dunno if it showed on my "Why" essay :( Did you guys getting scholly $$$ all write super strong Why essays?

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Strange wrote:I really like Mich but I dunno if it showed on my "Why" essay :( Did you guys getting scholly $$$ all write super strong Why essays?

I know Unam did. Quite heartfelt. I'm sure Dean Z (rightfully) ate it up.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:20 pm

NervousNelly wrote:Hey,
Sorry, I know that this has probably been addressed, but I can't seem to find it. If someone would be kind enough to link me to the relevant thread section, I would really appreciate it.

Any ideas on how to interpret frequency of "complete" date changing? I finally went complete a week ago, and the dates have already changed twice!

Please refer to a box at the bottom of the forum page, it's called SEARCH

NervousNelly

Postby NervousNelly » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:24 pm

JoeMo wrote:

thelong

Postby thelong » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:27 pm

NervousNelly wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

Maybe read a few pages before posting. This has been asked so many times now that it has stopped being useful to just answer it!

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:40 pm

Got $0. :cry:

Then again, I'm more than happy with just the acceptance. :D

thelong

Postby thelong » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:44 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:Got $0. :cry:

That's the way to look at it! As much as I'd love some cash I'd definitely settle for an acceptance.

catmo

Postby catmo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:45 pm

Are we sure this really means that you got $0? My offer of acceptance was mailed on 12/4/11. Is it safe to assume if that paragraph about awards pending is gone it really means $0?

sn20

Postby sn20 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Strange wrote:
hyakku wrote:

I really like Mich but I dunno if it showed on my "Why" essay :( Did you guys getting scholly $$$ all write super strong Why essays?

no why michigan essay and i got 54,000 total. i did write a non-urm diversity statement but i dont think it would have played a huge factor. hth

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:53 pm

catmo wrote:

Are we sure this really means that you got $0? My offer of acceptance was mailed on 12/4/11. Is it safe to assume if that paragraph about awards pending is gone it really means $0?

I need to know!!!

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:55 pm

sn20 wrote:no why michigan essay and i got 54,000 total. i did write a non-urm diversity statement but i dont think it would have played a huge factor. hth

Wow. I'm shocked by this with no Why Mich if your profile numbers are accurate. Do you have great softs? Or are you a non-trad?

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:59 pm

Nelson wrote:
sn20 wrote:no why michigan essay and i got 54,000 total. i did write a non-urm diversity statement but i dont think it would have played a huge factor. hth

Wow. I'm shocked by this with no Why Mich if your profile numbers are accurate. Do you have great softs? Or are you a non-trad?

He's 3.8/170 so he's above both medians. I was more asking for those who are at median/ below another, who seem to be getting decent $

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:06 pm

Unagi wrote:Mine also disappeared. I assumed "no money".

Unam, when you said yours was "zero awards" from last week until today, did you have the paragraph or not? Thanks!

Yeah I had that paragraph up until my information showed up. FWIW, my Why Mich pretty much made it clear that I could die happy with a Michigan acceptance. Maybe it played a role in me getting scholarship.

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Strange wrote:
hyakku wrote:

I didn't write "why Mich" but I included it in my PS, tying it into the central theme.
Did not write a Diversity statement.
I had a lot of leadership experience in UG and beyond.

Dean's scholarships are for leadership experience and academic potential/achievement, according to their website, so I'm not sure if writing a strong why essay correlates with money.

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:09 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
Strange wrote:
hyakku wrote:

I didn't write "why Mich" but I included it in my PS, tying it into the central theme.

Dean's scholarships are for leadership experience and academic potential/achievement, according to their website, so I'm not sure if writing a strong why essay correlates with money.

also, FWIW GPA 3.5 LSAT 171

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:12 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Unagi wrote:Mine also disappeared. I assumed "no money".

Yeah I had that paragraph up until my information showed up. FWIW, my Why Mich pretty much made it clear that I could die happy with a Michigan acceptance. Maybe it played a role in me getting scholarship.

Thanks Unam!! And congrats!!

I guess now I can be sure no money is coming :( Anyway, I still can't believe I'm in!!!

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:15 pm

If the point of a scholarship is to attract high-number individuals with other options for school, those with strong Why Mich statements (and who, presumably, actually want to attend) do not require money to get them to attend.

Mainly playing devil's advocate here, and not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Everyone who got in is awesome!

(I want to be like you!)

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:15 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
Strange wrote:
hyakku wrote:

Thank you, I do have some strong leadership experience (Though different from yours) which I emphasized in my PS, so I hope that helps me.

Unfortunately I didn't really research Michigan until after I applied, I could probably write a good "Why" essay right now, but had to rush one out before.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Strange wrote:I really like Mich but I dunno if it showed on my "Why" essay :( Did you guys getting scholly $$$ all write super strong Why essays?

I didn't write a "Why" essay and my PS was completely generic, but I got in with a half-tuition scholarship. Conversely, at lower-ranked schools for which I did write a "Why" essay, I have heard nothing, although plenty who applied after me with no "Why" essays have already got in to those schools.

As above, I could probably write a great "Why" essay now.

sn20

Postby sn20 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Nelson wrote:

In undergrad, with average to above-average softs involving internships/leadership/division-1 football. But from perusing LSN, it appears that 169-171 3.8x'ers have all been getting the same scholarship offers.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Wrote Why Mich, tons of leadership experience in and out of UG, leadership in athletics but GPA is around 25th, LSAT at 75th. Bleh. I'm just going to assume $0 since the paragraph went away. As much as I am an optimist, I think it's much more probable that this is the final offer until Mich matches another t14's offer for me (if I get one :roll:).

/wanders over to the NU thread.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”