Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tmon

Silver

Re: Michigan c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by tmon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:56 am

MumofCad wrote:Give us some info on what struck you! I know I'm particularly concerned about the livability of the next 3 years so I'm curious!

Anyone else have sudden anxiety when hitting the submit button? I was comfortable yesterday with my PS, but now it suddenly looks like crap lol.
An undergrad's view:
If you can't live in Ann Arbor comfortably I don't know where you'd go, unless you just can't stand cold weather. If you're really into eating out, there's virtually every kind of food imaginable and, more importantly, usually done quite well. If you like to cook at home there's a farmers market and plenty of places to buy what you need. If you like getting a drink, there are loud undergrad bars and nightclubs, chill grad student bars, and upscale cocktail bars as well. If you like going to concerts/dance shows/other things that take place on a stage there a variety of venues that range from the truly beautiful Hill Auditorium, to the dive (but well-known) Blind Pig. If you're into sports...then I probably don't need to tell you about that scene. If you're a nature person there's the Arboretum and other parks that are well maintained. And if you just want to chill, there are movie theaters nearby, obviously a ton of libraries, and the area housing is nice enough that entertaining friends at home doesn't get too cramped. People are friendly for the most part. I've encountered some townies that just don't like the University and its students, but they are by far the exception. Most non-students seem to genuinely appreciate the vibe and history of Ann Arbor. Also, Detroit isn't far away. I didn't venture that way too often, and never found TONS to do there, but there are some quality destinations there despite the city's struggles.

The only minor annoyance to me was that I always wanted my car around for the sake of convenience. You could get around via bus, but that gets annoying when the grocery stores, good dry cleaners, clothing stores, and some other places you need to go sometimes are mostly a ways south of campus. Everything else is walkable, though in the winter that feels less apparent.

tl;dr: AA is a very livable city.
Last edited by tmon on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 am

MumofCad wrote:Give us some info on what struck you! I know I'm particularly concerned about the livability of the next 3 years so I'm curious!

Anyone else have sudden anxiety when hitting the submit button? I was comfortable yesterday with my PS, but now it suddenly looks like crap lol.
Seriously +1. I sent my Chicago app yesterday and felt the same way.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:12 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Haven't submitted yet but I know I'll feel precisely the same way.

j12

Bronze

Post by j12 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:58 am

I'm going through the viewbook now. I had to look up the definition of milieu. Maybe I'm not smart enough for Michigan.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:18 pm

j12 wrote:I'm going through the viewbook now. I had to look up the definition of milieu. Maybe I'm not smart enough for Michigan.
lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:26 pm

tmon wrote:

An undergrad's view:
If you can't live in Ann Arbor comfortably I don't know where you'd go, unless you just can't stand cold weather. If you're really into eating out, there's virtually every kind of food imaginable and, more importantly, usually done quite well. If you like to cook at home there's a farmers market and plenty of places to buy what you need. If you like getting a drink, there are loud undergrad bars and nightclubs, chill grad student bars, and upscale cocktail bars as well. If you like going to concerts/dance shows/other things that take place on a stage there a variety of venues that range from the truly beautiful Hill Auditorium, to the dive (but well-known) Blind Pig. If you're into sports...then I probably don't need to tell you about that scene. If you're a nature person there's the Arboretum and other parks that are well maintained. And if you just want to chill, there are movie theaters nearby, obviously a ton of libraries, and the area housing is nice enough that entertaining friends at home doesn't get too cramped. People are friendly for the most part. I've encountered some townies that just don't like the University and its students, but they are by far the exception. Most non-students seem to genuinely appreciate the vibe and history of Ann Arbor. Also, Detroit isn't far away. I didn't venture that way too often, and never found TONS to do there, but there are some quality destinations there despite the city's struggles.

The only minor annoyance to me was that I always wanted my car around for the sake of convenience. You could get around via bus, but that gets annoying when the grocery stores, good dry cleaners, clothing stores, and some other places you need to go sometimes are mostly a ways south of campus. Everything else is walkable, though in the winter that feels less apparent.

+1. Michigan is GORGEOUS. The people seem friendly enough. Only down-side is the extremely limited parking. Other than that, I'm currently Michigan's #1 fanboy.
soj wrote:
j12 wrote:I'm going through the viewbook now. I had to look up the definition of milieu. Maybe I'm not smart enough for Michigan.
lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: We (me/Soj/Eich) met Antrim. We went out to dinner, and he bought himself a pitcher, guzzled it down in about 15 minutes, then left to do law stuff. It was hilarious.

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:37 pm

I GOT MY FEE WAIVER!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:24 pm

In honor of PSUDevon getting a fee waiver I will share my favorite Scott Boras quote:

"I have had players call me about bad contracts they had signed and I always advise that the sanctity of the contract is important for the survival of any system based on performance. To change it when there is improvement is a double-edged sword that will inevitably lead to degrading the contract when the player malperforms. "

Let's hope none of us malperform in our cycles.

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:43 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:In honor of PSUDevon getting a fee waiver I will share my favorite Scott Boras quote:

"I have had players call me about bad contracts they had signed and I always advise that the sanctity of the contract is important for the survival of any system based on performance. To change it when there is improvement is a double-edged sword that will inevitably lead to degrading the contract when the player malperforms. "

Let's hope none of us malperform in our cycles.
Scott Boras is glad he's not a football agent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kurst

Bronze

Post by Kurst » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:46 am

PSUdevon wrote:I GOT MY FEE WAIVER!
I told you it was en route. :)

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:46 am

Haha that quote actually came when he was asked about Rosenhaus wanting to renegotiate Terrell Owens' contract.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/ ... 1218312392

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:47 am

basilseal wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Haven't submitted yet but I know I'll feel precisely the same way.
wait you can submit this already? I thought it was a 9/15/2011 thing :X

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:48 am

Yeah it's a 9/15 app all the way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:04 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Haha that quote actually came when he was asked about Rosenhaus wanting to renegotiate Terrell Owens' contract.

That seems about right. Tiago, you're about the only TLSer I feel like I'd actually enjoy grabbing a beer with.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 am

PSUdevon wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Haha that quote actually came when he was asked about Rosenhaus wanting to renegotiate Terrell Owens' contract.

That seems about right. Tiago, you're about the only TLSer I feel like I'd actually enjoy grabbing a beer with.
I'll take you up on that sometime. If you ever start freaking out about needing more safety schools and want to check out ASU I can be your tour guide.

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:

I'll take you up on that sometime. If you ever start freaking out about needing more safety schools and want to check out ASU I can be your tour guide.
I feel like I'd probably enjoy that ASW.

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 am

ITT a serious bromance is forming

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:39 am

UnamSanctam wrote:We (me/Soj/Eich) met Antrim. We went out to dinner, and he bought himself a pitcher, guzzled it down in about 15 minutes, then left to do law stuff. It was hilarious.
LOLno. He left for reasons completely unrelated to law school. :wink:

I'm all but PS at Michigan. Actually, I'm all but PS everywhere. :oops:

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:05 am

soj wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:We (me/Soj/Eich) met Antrim. We went out to dinner, and he bought himself a pitcher, guzzled it down in about 15 minutes, then left to do law stuff. It was hilarious.

Hahaha, I didn't want any Michigan students who might know who he is to think he wasn't doing any law stuff. :lol:

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:40 am

soj wrote:

get that shit done... I need to study for LSAT, fuuuuu
tmon wrote:

An undergrad's view:

want want want want

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Quick question... Anyone sending in more than 2 optional essays? I know the instruction say to limit it to 2, but I just wanted to pool responses.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:12 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:Quick question... Anyone sending in more than 2 optional essays? I know the instruction say to limit it to 2, but I just wanted to pool responses.
I refuse to answer until you change your username.

But you should definitely go by their instructions. If it says limit it to 2, don't send 3. Only demonstrates you can't follow directions if you send >2.

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 pm

tmon wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:Quick question... Anyone sending in more than 2 optional essays? I know the instruction say to limit it to 2, but I just wanted to pool responses.
I refuse to answer until you change your username.

But you should definitely go by their instructions. If it says limit it to 2, don't send 3. Only demonstrates you can't follow directions if you send >2.

I see what you did there.... :wink:

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Whoa, you guys are sending more than one?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:28 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Whoa, you guys are sending more than one?
Just one for me. Instructions say two max.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”